Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Biocube 14!

Gvtv44

hehe, the avatar is my orange wing amazon. She's 11 years old, and runs the place ;)

See I was wrong..... I always get amazons mixed up.... Except double yellow headeds. :happy:

Yep, I have two greys..... theyre about as crazy as possible I think, but theyre both still young, so they might mellow out some. :happy:

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like a bluefront Amazon... :happy:

Although I have been wrong before. :lol:

Your skimmer pump will probably add another degree or so when it is running, so take that into account... Although you could probably negate that if you got something with less watts than the MJ1200.

Close! She's an orange wing. And a sponge...and spoiled... I see you have two greys :) Can't see their tails, but they look like congo's...? My father-in-law has a congo, and he plucks too :( But they are awesome birds :)

Hmmm..I did not know there was a way to get the ballast out of the hood. I think I'll be contacting Chris! We thought it was strange that the mod was designed without an external ballast. Maybe they should offer an option to the kit.

The temps have been great since adding the chiller on Saturday. It's now 77 at night and 79 during the day. We're going to add the third light for the day time and see what happens (we had only been running two lights).

Yah, we didn't opt for the MJ1200 because it goes from 8.5 watts to 20 watts. eek!

Yep, theyre both congos.... the one started picking because she had Giardia... We finally got that taken care of, so now its just a waiting game to see if shes going to let them come back in... hopefully it didnt become habit. fingerscrossed

Alpha: Lol... sorry for the misunderstanding. From what you said to me, you mean that the LFS by you stocks crumby LR, correct? And that there is a PA by you that has really good rock, and that I should consider purchasing my LR from the PA by you, correct? (Since I don't have one near me). My LFS doesn't have as interesting rock as what I've seen here of what people have gotten, so yes, I am considering purchasing from PA. Now, what I meant to ask you was this- is the PA by you the place that would ship my rock to me if I ordered it online? (Since I believe they are based there). If it is, the next time you visit, do you mind dropping a post to tell me what they have? I am trying to email them to see if I can pick what I'll get. I would like Marshall, as you said they have (thanks for the heads up :) ) but first I need my hood to get back to me... lol Now I know why you wanted to get your tank set up by Saturday- to put some awesome Marshaall LR :D.... oh the temptation :)

Thanks Alpha, hope I was a little clearer :D

I'm pretty sure PA is here and here only. It's a small warehouse space. I can tell you that they have a TON of Marshall and it was nice. I'm going on Saturday to get my rock. I'll let you know.

Amazon: She looks like she does :) thanks for the ID! lol. Once I ge my hood, I'll take temps, and post, so you can compare them. Maybe you should call Chris and tell him, and possibly offer a solution- I think he would take care of your problem.

Teal: Close enough. Yea, they are pretty entertaining birds (Gray's) ours like to say "hello" in the middle of the night. It's pretty damn creepy when you don't expect it! They also love to pluck- we got them from an abused home, and believe it or not, I think they have a nervous condition.. lol

Alpha: Good Luck, pick some nice rock- I guess you were right about getting it on Saturday... lol (Just one wk later)

All: I got my big shipment of supplies- will post pics later. And installed my powersweep- It makes great flow- almost random b/c it alternately goes against the stock flow, then flows by itself- there is a lot of surface turbulance (almost rythmic) Right now I have it installed in the back right corner- infront of the top filter intake- is this a good idea? Will it interfere with my main filtration? The rear filter still works, but I'm worried the powersweep might act as a prefilter= cleaning often. Also, do I need a sponge on it, or can I use the tube it comes with (piece of clear plastic with holes in it.) Can I make the tube shorter w/out decreasing flow? I will post pics later to clarify. It's a pain to figure out where to place it to balance look (how much of it I can see) and function.

Thanks!

It's here!!!!!! If I get it hooked up tonight, I'll post comparison pics.(Before and after mod) Sadly the mod means one more wire, so I need to go buy a bigger power strip... sigh... but it should be worth to extra light! Question though: the fan... it's 12 volt, so is the oceanic- isn't it supposed to be better? (12 volts is the highest rating on the Ac adapter) Also, what did you guys do to seal the fan wire coming out of the light area? (Does it need to be watertight?) Finally, do I need rubber bands on the bulbs? (How they came stock), b/c Nanotuners forgot them! Oh, and they left a loose screw- I have to pull that out too. But for what they charged me to do it, I really can't complain. I'll put down my final opinion in a week or two... Please answer my ques!

Thanks!

Also, what did you guys do to seal the fan wire coming out of the light area? (Does it need to be watertight?) Finally, do I need rubber bands on the bulbs? (How they came stock), b/c Nanotuners forgot them!

Gvtv44,

Thank you for checking out my project. FYI, I did not seal the fan wire and I broke the rubber bands on my original bulbs and have not replaced them with no adverse consequences.

Josh

PS: I will reply to your post in my topic next.

Where is the best place to put the thermometer probe? Also, I bought a TOM aqua lifter, small stealth heater,and some other stuff for my semi auto top off.

In other news, (lmao) the coralife digital power center is a piece of c$$p that I can't use for sunrise/ sunset, so I need to go the timers and powerstrip method. So I'm going to buy two powersquids and plug them into a GFCI...

Where is the best place to put the thermometer probe? Also, I bought a TOM aqua lifter, small stealth heater,and some other stuff for my semi auto top off.

In other news, (lmao) the coralife digital power center is a piece of c$$p that I can't use for sunrise/ sunset, so I need to go the timers and powerstrip method. So I'm going to buy two powersquids and plug them into a GFCI...

Gotta agree. The digital Coral life power center sucks. Mine went south within 3 months,. had it replaced and it to has gone south. It will go through allthe motions of taking settings, but liet the power flicker once and its all lost. Battery was replaced so thats not the problem. Put it on the 7 day program set, so its all done at one time, yea, right, you still wind up with 6 unprogramed days when yoou check, but what really gets me is ON works the Off and Off works the ON recepticles.......You can set it with program window showing ON.......put in the time its on, and then do the OFF, and it wil be 180 out when it hits those times.....

I put my BIO Cube 14 temps probe in the pump chamber #3 Seems to work ok.

I just picked up a BIO CUBE 14 about 4 days ago........Had issues irght out of the box.....two fans that are so noisy you can hear it anywhere inside the house. Suposedly Oceanic has two on the way to replace them.....Well just have to wait and see.

Fan quick fix- shut lights, wait 15 sec, try again. You should really see about the 3.24 upgrade (nanotuners.com)- I wasn't sure about it at 1st, but for $150 they installed it in cali (I had to ship it to them, but you can install if you want- that's the norm) There is a big difference in light, the fans (which I got the controlable ones (w/ increased airflow)) are very quiet- even quieter than the sock ones. And everything appears sotck. They did a very good job on it! Timer: works good on my FW tank, lol, weekends I used it to make the photoperiod later, and week days earlier- but that's all it's really good for :D

:bling: Update- things are moving slowly but surely... I just shelled out ~$90 :bling: on electrical for my timing system: 1 GFCI, 2 Power squids, and 4 Marineland timers- How safe is this??? :eek::scarry:
:bling: Update- things are moving slowly but surely... I just shelled out ~$90 :bling: on electrical for my timing system: 1 GFCI, 2 Power squids, and 4 Marineland timers- How safe is this??? :eek::scarry:

Safe? That depends of how well your house is wired.

Very well (It's only 14-15 yrs old- standard 120 grounded outlet) I plan on plugging in my lighting, a heater or two, and 2 pumps on the powersquids... sound safe?? I have little/ no electical knowledge...

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't get to the LFS to buy LS and water this weekend, but I'm definatley going next weekend! One quick question though: can I keep 2 Golden coral banded shrimps in my BC 14?

Well I finally got to the LFS- I bought 3 jugs of Nuitrisea water, 2 jugs of R/O, and a bag of Nature's Ocean Aragonite Live Sand. Put it all together- Will post pics tom! Next weekend I begin the search for Live Rock! This LFS has uncured @ $2 per lb- pretty damn cheap, and its Fiji + it looks pretty good, with good shape/ texture. But I want to look around a bit more before making my final decision. Wish me luck!

Picture time! :D

Supplies:

Supplies.jpg

Filling14.jpg

My setup- the cabinet:

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

Filling:

Filling1.jpg

Filling.jpg

One hour later...

DSC00009.jpg

Three hours later:

Filling17.jpg

This morning:

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

My canvas:

IMG_0197.jpg

My lighting:

IMG_0200.jpg

R/O Top off:

IMG_0194.jpg

Back chambers:

IMG_0199.jpg

Random pics!

Bearded Dragon:

IMG_0201.jpg

Pleco:

PLECO.jpg

Sorry about all the pics- I went crazy with the camera! Next Sat- Live rock- I plan on going to 4 stores consec. and buying the best rock! Tell me what you think!

Looking good :)

Incidentally, keeping reptiles on sand is generally considered a no-no. It can lead to impaction (and death) I know a few reptile forums that would tear you a new one for posting that pic. :mellow:

Thanks!

Yea, I know all about them, lol. I've had him for 5 yrs, and never had a problem :D I did the research, and watch him carefully. Bring them on! lmao. (I do need to change it soon though, getting a little messy in there :D )

Didn't get to the LFS to buy LS and water this weekend, but I'm definatley going next weekend! One quick question though: can I keep 2 Golden coral banded shrimps in my BC 14?

Only if you buy them as a mated pair. Nice tank BTW.

Gettin goin, huh?! Awesome!

Are you gonna keep that extra powerhead in there?

I need to get a better camera so I feel okay starting my own thread. I got a nice Goniopora this week!

Archived