Pod Your Reef

My Biocube 14!

Gvtv44

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems to work pretty well but definitely needs to be rinsed with hot water after each use to avoid salt build-up that may affect the arm movement. This is also the same one that my LFS uses on his own tanks, no fancy digital expensive version.

Ok, I think I may but one of those meters that look like a thermometer eventually, but for now it seems good for now. How often should I test though? Thanks.

I usually test it weekly a day or two after my water change. I don't seem to have much evaporation like some people seem to complain about with these tanks. It could be due to the fact that I have my tank in my basement since spend most of my time there anyway.

Yea, although I don't have the hood mod yet, the evap is a lot less than what I thought it would be, and it's in my room with a bearded dragon enclosure (I basically have an 8 foot square 100 degree desert in my room)!

Gvtv44 - Thanks for the compliment. I finally had time to post new pics.

post-23197-1167790494_thumb.jpg

post-23197-1167790679_thumb.jpg

What kind of anemone do you got there RaSooch?? The one with red/orange foot.

Best regards

Carl

Like the previous poster I have one skunk cleaner shrimp and one peppermint shrimp. I usually only see glimpses of the peppermint shrimp when I feed the tank but the cleaner shrimp is very active in daytime. I also bought the peppermint shrimp for cleaning the tank at night and I think it has worked. I have several hermit crabs: scarlet and red leg. Both are described on-line as good cleaners and not aggresive. I have nassarius snails, cerith snails, and trochus snails. I have been more impressed with the first two than the trochus snails. I got my cured live rock from premiumaquaticslive.com. It is very attractive Marshall Island rock. Premium Aquatics was very helpful. My tank is stock except live rock rubble instead of bioballs in chamber 2. I have 2 ocellaris clowns. I have read they are recommended for nanos because they are slightly smaller than other clownfish. They are also readily available. I have a green clown goby that is a cute fish but not as active as I would have liked. The stock lighting has done fine for zoo's, mushrooms, and sinularia. I may try a BTA with the stock lighting. These posts have said both that more light is needed and that the BTA picks a spot with less lighting.

I shipped the hood out to nanotuners (Cali) tonight via the UPS store. Only $15, insurance included!!! It is expected to be there next thurs, so if they ship it out the following monday, I'll get it on the 18th.... :( :( Funny thing happened though... I asked what the next bracket for shipping is and how long it would take, and the lady said $40, so I was about to say OK, but then she said it would get there on wednesday (Only one day sooner, lol). Oh well, as I said to Alpha, better of being pacient and doing it right than rushing. So, I am considering my LR/ LS options now... either my LFS, or premium aquatics (online). If I get it online, I will order marshall rock, but then I can't pick what I want, and I need to pay shipping. If I go to my LFS, which I haven't been to in 3 weeks, (WITHDRAWAL!!!!) I don't know what I'll find there. There is another one with LR down the road about 15 minutes. Can I put LR from 2 different LFS's in my tank, on the same day?

Thanks!

I would recommend looking at the LFS first but I don't think you'll be disappointed with Premium Aquatics. The LFS in my town had ugly live rock, not very interesting shapes and covered with hair algae. Therefore, picking out my own locally was not an option.

Yea, in the past, one day he'll have the most gorgously shaped/ colored LR, and the next week, it'll be drab, boulder like shapes. Maybe I'll do a little of both...

Hi,

I've been off the site for a while and was just reading your thread. I also have a BC14 that I set up the first week of November.

The mods made are:

Nanotuner light upgrade (same one you're getting)

Fan upgrade

NC12 skimmer

CL85 chiller/heater

MJ600 in place of stock pump - going to change to MJ900.

Removed the bioballs

Added carbon to the second chamber along with the skimmer.

The tank was started with 20lbs live Fiji sand, and about the same in Fiji LR.

We then added a CUC of hermits and astreas.

Slowly started adding corals (lots of zoas, toadstool, candycane, frogspawn, mushrooms, colt, pink and green star polyps, yellow polyps)

Two weeks ago we added two true perculas. We have a Yasha Hasi goby in QT for two weeks.

The two biggest issues we had with this tank are flow and heat. We did not have a heat issue until the light mod. Perhaps the added ballast runs warm. We just installed the chiller yesterday. The temps had gotten as high as 84 with only two of the three PC's on duting the day. Would only drop to 80 at night.

We found that adding the Hydor to the output cut the flow too much. We may upgrade it to a 900 and try the Hydor again (now that we have the chiller).

For the most part things have gone well. We've hit a few bumps along the way, but they were minor.

I'm still glad we got the BC. It's been quite a learning experience, but we have an awesome tank.

Good luck!

PS: you may want to check out clamsdirect.com. Because of things I read there I decided to hold off until my 50g with 250W MH is going to get a clam.

Wow... your tank is (or was rather) running hot! Did you purchase the "added airflow" mod or the variable fan controllers? I got both b/c I had figured I would see a heat increase. In your opinion, do you think I would be ok with just a lot of chemical media instead of a protein skimmer? Oh, and what type of bird is your avatar? Thanks for the luck/ info :)

Amazon, your tank is running quite hot, I'd say. How are your fans installed, I'm wondering? My temps only get up to 81.5 after the main lights have been on most of the day (have the same mod as you) and then 78 at night. Here's what I have, almost exact to your's AND I use the MJ1200 with the Hydor Flow but it does periodically get stuck. My mods:

Nanotuner light upgrade (3.24)

Fan upgrade (included w/above)

NC12 skimmer (offline right now)

MJ1200 in place of stock pump w/Hydor Flo

Removed the bioballs, filter and sponge

Added live rock rubble, media (Purigen/ChemiPure/Seagel mix) to the second chamber with filter floss on top (cuts down on rushing water sound to zero)

Expanded overflow from chamber #1 (was going to do small fuge but changed my mind)

The nanotuners website says the mod will lower the temp, not raise it! Maybe this is b/c you guys have a pump other than the stock? What is your room temp? Oh, and with the stock pump, should I add the zoomed powersweep? Does anyone out there have one???

Thanks.

I shipped the hood out to nanotuners (Cali) tonight via the UPS store. Only $15, insurance included!!! It is expected to be there next thurs, so if they ship it out the following monday, I'll get it on the 18th.... :( :( Funny thing happened though... I asked what the next bracket for shipping is and how long it would take, and the lady said $40, so I was about to say OK, but then she said it would get there on wednesday (Only one day sooner, lol). Oh well, as I said to Alpha, better of being pacient and doing it right than rushing. So, I am considering my LR/ LS options now... either my LFS, or premium aquatics (online). If I get it online, I will order marshall rock, but then I can't pick what I want, and I need to pay shipping. If I go to my LFS, which I haven't been to in 3 weeks, (WITHDRAWAL!!!!) I don't know what I'll find there. There is another one with LR down the road about 15 minutes. Can I put LR from 2 different LFS's in my tank, on the same day?

Thanks!

Premium Aquatics is here in Indianapolis -- I went there on Saturday and they have a huge tub of Marshall Island rock, and every piece I pulled out looked awesome -- real branchy and colorful. If your LFS is anything like the one here -- go for premium aquatics. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

So you're saying that PA ships from you and whatever I purchase will come from there, and I should purchase from PA b/c they have really good marshall there??? B/c I don't have a PA anywhere near me :(

Thanks.

So you're saying that PA ships from you and whatever I purchase will come from there, and I should purchase from PA b/c they have really good marshall there??? B/c I don't have a PA anywhere near me :(

Thanks.

Well don't if you don't want to. :)

I'm not really sure what you're saying.

The two biggest issues we had with this tank are flow and heat. We did not have a heat issue until the light mod. Perhaps the added ballast runs warm.

The ballast is installed outside of the hood on the BC29 kit.... I would see about getting a ballast box from nanotuners and getting that out of the hood.... no need for all the extra heat in there....

We just installed the chiller yesterday. The temps had gotten as high as 84 with only two of the three PC's on duting the day. Would only drop to 80 at night.

I would think with the chiller you should be able to get it to drop more when the lights are all off.... have you tried a second thermostat to verify the accuracy of the original one ??

Oh, and what type of bird is your avatar? Thanks for the luck/ info :)

Looks like a bluefront Amazon... :happy:

Although I have been wrong before. :lol:

Amazon, your tank is running quite hot, I'd say. How are your fans installed, I'm wondering? My temps only get up to 81.5 after the main lights have been on most of the day (have the same mod as you) and then 78 at night. Here's what I have, almost exact to your's AND I use the MJ1200 with the Hydor Flow but it does periodically get stuck. My mods:

Added live rock rubble, media (Purigen/ChemiPure/Seagel mix) to the second chamber with filter floss on top (cuts down on rushing water sound to zero)

Expanded overflow from chamber #1 (was going to do small fuge but changed my mind)

Your skimmer pump will probably add another degree or so when it is running, so take that into account... Although you could probably negate that if you got something with less watts than the MJ1200.

Alpha: Lol... sorry for the misunderstanding. From what you said to me, you mean that the LFS by you stocks crumby LR, correct? And that there is a PA by you that has really good rock, and that I should consider purchasing my LR from the PA by you, correct? (Since I don't have one near me). My LFS doesn't have as interesting rock as what I've seen here of what people have gotten, so yes, I am considering purchasing from PA. Now, what I meant to ask you was this- is the PA by you the place that would ship my rock to me if I ordered it online? (Since I believe they are based there). If it is, the next time you visit, do you mind dropping a post to tell me what they have? I am trying to email them to see if I can pick what I'll get. I would like Marshall, as you said they have (thanks for the heads up :) ) but first I need my hood to get back to me... lol Now I know why you wanted to get your tank set up by Saturday- to put some awesome Marshaall LR :D.... oh the temptation :)

Thanks Alpha, hope I was a little clearer :D

Teal- thanks- and I know yours is of two African Gray's right?? (I have a pair myself (or I should say my grandfather does... along with parkeets, finches, canaries, lovebirds, rosellas, and cockateils... he breeds them and trades them to my LFS... but I help :) )

Thanks!

Wow... your tank is (or was rather) running hot! Did you purchase the "added airflow" mod or the variable fan controllers? I got both b/c I had figured I would see a heat increase. In your opinion, do you think I would be ok with just a lot of chemical media instead of a protein skimmer? Oh, and what type of bird is your avatar? Thanks for the luck/ info :)

Yes, we got the new fans and the variable power supply. We even opened some of the vents in the rear of the hood. That's why we think we just have a ballast that runs hotter than normal. Hopefully you do not have the same results regarding heat - but the added light is sure nice.

I've not explored filtered media options, so I can't offer advice there. But I do believe in the need of a skimmer if you're going to have fish. I imagine someone else can offer some advise on the media.

hehe, the avatar is my orange wing amazon. She's 11 years old, and runs the place ;)

It does sound like we've done almost all of the same mods. :)

The fans were installed with one blowing in and one blowing out. This was also recommended by Chris at NT. We also opened up the rear vents to allow some more flow.

I'm glad to hear that you've not experienced the same temp increase. From what I've seen, ours truly is the exception.

In the second chamber we have the skimmer, and the extra space is filled up with (refillable) plastic balls containing carbon. Then we put a small piece of the grate on top on the carbon balls, and no trickling. Oh, we also opened up the overflow between chambers one and two.

The nanotuners website says the mod will lower the temp, not raise it! Maybe this is b/c you guys have a pump other than the stock? What is your room temp? Oh, and with the stock pump, should I add the zoomed powersweep? Does anyone out there have one???

Thanks.

I believe it is possible that there can be no temp increase with the light mod. It simply was not my experience. It could have been a combination of mods that caused the heat rise. But the light mod started our temp in the upwards direction.

The room temp has been in the mid-to-high 60's. Winter hasn't really arrived here in NE yet.

The first mod we did to our tank was remove the stock Rio and replace it with an MJ600. No heat increase. Temp holding at 79 in the day time.

Second mod was the light mod. Temp increase to 82 during the day.

Third mod was the skimmer. Temp stayed the same.

Forth mod was an MJ600 for flow in the tank. Temp increase of 1 degree.

So I know that the pumps have added heat. But the skimmer is needed, and the flow was definitely needed.

I'm afraid I am not familiar with the zoom power sweep.

Archived