inTank Media Baskets

nUgZ's 10g Frag

nUgZ

Here are a couple color comparison shots. This is a Green Slimer Acropora when the tank had no sand.

CopyofGreenAcro.jpg

Here is the same frag after adding sand. The sand was the only difference.

CopyofGreenAcropora4.jpg

Personally I prefer the sand.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a local frag swap last night. Here are some shots of the new stuff.

Pocillopora. I am VERY excited about this one. It's red with purple polyps. Great potential. I'll probably frag it into a couple of pieces in case something happens to one piece.

CopyofPocillopora5.jpg

Orange Zoanthids on the right and some blues I got last week on the left.

CopyofOrangeZoanthids5.jpg

Here's a big mushroom that's going into my new 10g reef.

CopyofHairy5.jpg

Baby yuma's.

CopyofBabyYumas5.jpg

Some other blues I got a couple of weeks ago.

CopyofToddsblues5.jpg

RPE's I've had for a month or two that are trying to grow.

CopyofRPE5.jpg\

That's all for now. Enjoy!!

Hey there, just keeping you updated on the unattached yuma. It is under the netting for a couple weeks and just wouldn't attach onto the rock. She shrunk up so badly that it looked like she was disinegrating and dying so we took the netting off. We left the house for a few hours and when we came back it was absolutely nowhere to be found! So we lost that one :( I suspect that it was a wild caught as they generally have poor success rates. I am hoping for the pieces she left behind to grow into new yumas but so far there seems to be little growth.

Thanks for your help tho!

eva12- Sorry to hear that it went missing. You may move a rock someday and find it. As far as the other pieces go, I wouldn't be surprised if they did grow into full mushroom. They are quite hardy for the most part so you'll probably see some growth. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple updated shots.

Acropora I really like. The growth form is starting to resemble a deep-water species I believe. Any comments yes or no would be great.

Acropora5.jpg

Radioactive Dragon Eyes

Assortedfrags5.jpg

Orange Zoanthids I got several weeks ago.

OrangeZoanthids5.jpg

Green Favites that I either need to frag or mount on a larger rock.

GreenFavites5.jpg

Why do you think the addition of the sand made such a difference in the color of the frags?

Did it affect most of them, or just a select few?

I find that very interesting, esp. since I'm going bare-bottom right now in both my frag and personal tanks.

The change only affected my SPS. I can't say if it was the addition of the sand or the fact that I got rid of the eggcrate on the bottom. The eggcrate was trapping a lot of detritus so I can't say what exactly caused the improvement. I would say it was a combination of the two. Barebottom is great as long as you can supply the necessary amount of nutrients that your corals need.

• 2 weeks later...
EL CHUPACABRA

Looking good, I dig the one's with tons of potential, it looks like there is some speckling in the propella area, bake them under 20K for bit and they should be quite delicious.

Hello fellow NCer! I'm up near Asheville! I am now in the process of researching the whole idea of a dedicated FRAG tank and I Think you are right on the money!! Hope you don't mind me tagging along and asking some questions.

Allen :)

Chupacabra- Thanks. I might switch to a Phoenix 14k sometime soon, but I don't really like the 20k's. I'd say it looks pretty good under 10k so we'll see what happens.

Allen- I really appreciate the kind words. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Don't want to read the whole thread... Any more pics of this fish? Anthias?

CopyofGreenBrain.jpg

That's actually what I was thinking, but have never seen a pink and yellow damsel. IS it pink that I'm seeing?

Are you sill doing all of this in the 10g or is that the 30g tank now?

What is your filtration system like? I see a HOB there but can't tell if it's just a filter or an actual fuge (modded filter).

Looking good!! Can't wait to see more FTs shots.

Allen- Thanks. Yes, this is still the 10g. There is an Aquaclear 110 fuge that has been modded into a fuge on the back. It's full of liverock to help with filtration. There is nothing but natural filtration on this tank...just live sand and liverock. No skimmer, etc...

Here are a few updated shots. Thanks for looking.

FTS

FTS6.jpg

Frag of my GSPE's.

GSPEfrag6.jpg

Zoanthids I picked up recently.

Zoanthidfrag6.jpg

Some other GSPE's that hitched onto a rock.

GSPEs6.jpg

Millepora frag that fell in the shade and looks better than the one next to it that had full light. I'm going to lower the light on these pieces since they seem to prefer it.

Milleporafrag6.jpg

The tank's looking great! I hope you don't mind (let me know if you do) but I snagged a pic of your tank earlier and emailed it to the friend who is interested in a frag tank. I told him," This is what we are shooting for in a frag tank!"

Thanks for the updates and I look forward to following your tank!!

Thanks Matty. I don't have a new bulb yet. Just the 10k that those were under in that shot. I'll probably get a new bulb sometime next month. I'm gonna replace the PC actinics first and see how I like the combo and then decide which halide to get.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived