ReefCleaners.org

The new 75 is under way

o-nano

o-nano,

I was wondering if you could give me some details on the megaflow sump specifically the compartment that once held the bio-balls. I'm interested in converting this section into the fuge. Could you give me a rough estimate on the dimensions? And I assume the water flows out the bottom of that chamber? In order to convert this into a fuge I would seal up the bottom and drill several holes in the side of the compartment which would allow water to flow into the skimmer chamber.

Thanks for the help.

Jonathan

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o-nano,

I was wondering if you could give me some details on the megaflow sump specifically the compartment that once held the bio-balls. I'm interested in converting this section into the fuge. Could you give me a rough estimate on the dimensions? And I assume the water flows out the bottom of that chamber? In order to convert this into a fuge I would seal up the bottom and drill several holes in the side of the compartment which would allow water to flow into the skimmer chamber.

Thanks for the help.

Jonathan

Sorry for the slow response, I was out of town on business.

The bioball section measures approx. 7.5" wide, 13.5" deep, and 7.5"tall.

Water does flow out the bottom. Water enter the chamber through the top via a trickle plate. The flow is turbulent through this section but sealing it off may calm it down some.

Good luck, I would love to see your mod if you do it.

bonsai reefer

Awesome progression ! I just got a non drilled at my lfs for free it needed re caulked (done) :D hopefully i can use it with over flow box i do not know if i want to risk drilling it ;) I will be filling it up tonight to see if my caulk job did the trick ( fingers crossed).I am also setting up a 12 gallon and when my corals out grow it i will add to 75 :D

I snapped a few pics of my newest addition. A yellowheaded jawfish. He is great...Very shy at first but over the past week he has spent his time looking out his hole and now come outs and feeds regularly on frozen mysis and cyclopeze. Definitely a cool addition.

img3045ly1.jpg

img3047sl9.jpg

img3049fh5.jpg

Your tank looks great! I plan on getting my 75 starting in a few weeks. How do you like the light, I'm thinking of getting the same one. Also, how much does the egg crate cut down the light intensity?

The light is great. My only issue is that I have it mounted on the legs and it is difficult to feed and do maintenance. Unfortunately hanging it like a pendant does not work for my room (light comes with all hardware to do this). If it had taller legs or legs that allowed it to be tilted up like the Coralife fixture than it would be perfect. I have actually never run the lights without the eggcrate on the tank so I am not sure how much it impacts. I need the eggcrate because of my kids and my fear of flying objects in the tank so I don't want to remove the eggcrate and be tempted by any increases in light I may gain.

Well some bad news.....My Jawfish jumped to his death. He was doing great. He was eating and had a stable burrow and was coming out to show off. I really thought I was past the having to worry about him jumping stage. Definitely bummed out. I won't be replacing him. Any suggestions on another great personality fish.

Sorry to hear about your Jawfish o-nano!!! :(

I have a Midas Blenny in my tank and he has huge personality! And colorful too!

How about a Blenny?

Oh yeah! They can hold their own against other fish too! ie not as likely to get scared and jump out of the tank

Well some bad news.....My Jawfish jumped to his death. He was doing great. He was eating and had a stable burrow and was coming out to show off. I really thought I was past the having to worry about him jumping stage. Definitely bummed out. I won't be replacing him. Any suggestions on another great personality fish.
  • 2 weeks later...

No hood...I have eggcrate on top and he managed to get right through it. I have gotten some suggestions to wrap wedding veil around the eggcrate to cover the hole. I may give it a try.

I added my first SPS corals this week. Thought this would be a good time to post some pics. The tank is maturing nicely.

New Red Monti Cap

img3074jm0.jpg

Pocillopora...This was a transfer from my nano. Yellow Clown Goby started nipping at its polyps.

img3076lb4.jpg

and of course the obligatory Full Tank Shot

img3070tb5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well a few things have gone on since my last post.

I lost my Kole Tang to ich..... My yellow tang had it as well. I treated with Kick-Ich and it worked. I went through the entire treatment process and by the third treatment no ich on my yellow tang. I did a 20 gal. change today and added a treatment just to be on the safe side since I stirred up the sand bed. Overall I am very pleased with the product. I know others have used it with mixed results. For this outbreak it worked so far. We'll see if I get any relapses.

I am going to wait at least a month before any new fish go in. I want another Kole Tang but now I am afraid of aggression from my yellow. They were both introduced together originally so they got along. Will the yellow, bully a new tang???

I don't know if you replaced your jawfish yet, but I have a few suggestions for a fish with a lot of personality.

#1 choice would be a sargassum trigger. They stay small and are completely reef safe. Mine likes it when I pet him. Swims in the open all day and gets along with everyone. Mine is best friends with a scribbled rabbit, which was in the tank 4 months before the trigger.

#2 choice is a Lawnmower Blenny. Looks like an iguana and kind of slithers around the tank. Loves nori and will play tug of war with any fish that has it.

#3 choice is a whitehead sleeper goby. Eats sand all day. I can't help but laugh every time he trie to eat flake food...it goes right through him.

Here's the rabbitpost-17614-1173492873_thumb.jpg

And the trigger with himpost-17614-1173492925_thumb.jpg

How deep is your sand bed?

Sand bed is 3 inches at minimum. Some areas are 4 inches plus depending on how the currents in the tank reformed them.

Nice to see the tank is progressing well :D

NOW get more PIIICCSSS!!!!!!

Gonna be awhile before Im able to step up in size :mellow:

Izzue

Awesome O-nano.

Is that considered an LPS??? If so...weeeee feed it cyclopeeze out its hears and grow it will do.

Fast Pics...Im better now...lol

Izzue

Yes its an LPS. It loves mysis and eats like crazy. It should grow quicker than my dendros whic went from 2 to 7 heads in 6 months!!!!

Archived