Top Shelf Aquatics

The new 75 is under way

o-nano

Well the time has come to go from this....

img1680nv7.th.jpg

to this.....

img1789rp9.th.jpg

img1790au9.th.jpg

img1788gv5.th.jpg

I have been toying with the idea of a bigger reef and will be posting my build on this log. As you can see the tank will be a drilled AGA 75. Along with it is a model 3 sump, the overflow kit and an outer orbit MH fixture which includes 2 - 150 HQI's, 2 - 130 watt dual actinics (420 and 460 nm), and 6 white moonlights.

This will be a very slow build (thanks Mike Guerrero for leading the way) as I move from my 24G to this. The 24 will stay running to serve as a stable environment just in case problems arise during the transition and then will function most likely as a growing tank for small frags to grow until its time to go into the big tank. Eventually I will be moving my live rock from the existing tank along with all of the corals.

This weekend my plan is to stain the stand (wife is thinking it should be antique black (ala pottery barn style) and paint the rear glass with Krylon Fusion. If it is decided (by the wife) that the stand will stay its current color then I will most likely set the tank and plumb the sump as well.

I am still up in the air on a few things so any thoughts would be appreciated:

The return pump will most likely be a Mag 9.5 (at a 4 ft head it will pump 600gph which is the max for my overflow)

Powerheads are up in the air. I like the Seio's but really want to run a wavemaker. I am thinking 2 or 3 MJ 900's with the maxi-mod. They run cooler than 1200's and from Mike G's build, heat was a definite issue. Will the MJ mod give me the same type flow as the Seios and be safe for my nano sized fish (yellow clown goby is biggest concern)?

If I go with a wavemaker I am leaning towards an RK2. I have started to hear some buzz about the AC Jr. as well. Any Thoughts?

Last of my uncertainties is skimmer vs fuge. I am currently running a fuge on my NC24 and this move would be easy (move cheato and light and voila its done). Not sure however with this size tank if a skimmer is a must???

I would love some solid recommendations and I will keep everyone posted on my progress (slow and steady will win this race).

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats. I'm using a 1" Sea Swirl on my 75 and it's perfect. Only one pipe in the tank and no dead spots that I'm aware of. My tank is only 30" wide so you may want to consider two of them.

I have a Reefkeeper 2 and it's very easy to use and completely reliable. I would have added extra outlets if I were to do it again. You'd think 8 would be enough but it's not even close! You'll have to get creative with splitters and power strips.

I have a skimmer but no fuge. Didn't have the room in my cabinet. Skimmer does suck up a lot of nasty smelling sludge, so I'm a believer.

Hope this helps

Robb

Well, I got the back glass painted and it looks great!! I'll try to post some pics in the morning. I am also working on refinishing the stand. What a tough job!!! I have decided to go with Maxi-jets and mod them using the MJ mods kit. I received it today. It looks very complete and should be easy.

I'll keep everyone posted on my purchases and progress

• 2 weeks later...

Well the new stand is almost refinished and I should get to setting up in about another week. After talking to my LFS and some other reefers I am thinking about externally mounting my return pump (mag 9.5) and my skimmer pump (mag 5) to help reduce heat. Some of my locals are claiming 5+ degree drops after switching to an external return. I have an acrylic megaflow sump so cutting holes and using bulkheads will be easy. Has anyone gone fully external (send pics please)?? What is the best way to plumb the pumps and keep them quiet (vibration damping)??

I'm sure some people do it, but I'm pretty sure i read somewhere that the Mag line of pumps are not intended to run external. I also have read of a few people having problems with them leaking when running external. Just throwing that out there.

Most of the equipment is bought and I will be starting to work on the plumbing and setup in the next week. That being said it's time to post the obligatory, gratuitous equipment photo.....

img1913yt7.jpg

Some of the equipment has changed from my initial post so here is a brief recap

75 Gallon AGA w/overflow kit

Model 3 Sump

Outer Orbit MH fixture

Aqua C EV 120 skimmer

Mag 9.5 (return)

Mag 5 (skimmer)

2-MJ 1200's

2-MJ Mods Kits

AC JR Controller (DC8, serial port, PH probe)

Lots of PVC, joints, & valves

I am planning to plumb all of the pumps externally to cut down on heat.

I still need a heater (I am thinking a Theo 300W), and am undecided on glass tops (I know it will cut down on my lights efficiency and trap some heat, but I have 2 small children and am afraid of flying objects). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Most of the equipment is bought and I will be starting to work on the plumbing and setup in the next week. That being said it's time to post the obligatory, gratuitous equipment photo.....

img1913yt7.jpg

Some of the equipment has changed from my initial post so here is a brief recap

75 Gallon AGA w/overflow kit

Model 3 Sump

Outer Orbit MH fixture

Aqua C EV 120 skimmer

Mag 9.5 (return)

Mag 5 (skimmer)

2-MJ 1200's

2-MJ Mods Kits

AC JR Controller (DC8, serial port, PH probe)

Lots of PVC, joints, & valves

I am planning to plumb all of the pumps externally to cut down on heat.

I still need a heater (I am thinking a Theo 300W), and am undecided on glass tops (I know it will cut down on my lights efficiency and trap some heat, but I have 2 small children and am afraid of flying objects). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I wouldn't use glass tops. If you're worried about kids, buy or make a canopy. Otherwise, if the kids throw stuff in the tank, smash their toys as punishment. They'll learn. Oh and don't use the bioballs in that sump.

Bioballs will not be used. I'm going with LR rubble in the bottom.

Thanks for the looking out!!!!

Cool, hope everything works out for you. I have the same AGA brand sump as you but the real big one, model 4 I think. I bought the smallest one and they sent me the largest one by mistake. That sounds great but I can't use it because I don't have room for it.

I am toying with using eggcrate on the top to keep out the kids flying objects. I have a firefish that will move to the new tank. He's never attempted an escape from my cube but I don't want to take chances. Also won't the eggcrate diffuse light as well and create unnatural shadows???

I thought I would post a shot of the tank on the newly refinished stand. I also plumbed the overflow today. My goal is to plumb the sump& skimmer this week and be in a position to add water, sand and rock by next weekend. Off to make RODI water!?!?!?!?!?

img1945eo0.jpg

img1946jo6.jpg

Well the tank and sump are plumbed. I was able to mount all of the pumps externally to keep things a bit cooler. All of the pumps have ball valves on the intake and output sides and are all connected with vinyl tubing. This way I can shut off the valves and remove the pumps to clean them. I am making my RODI water now and should be filling up on Saturday. Here are a few pics of the plumbing work.

img1957lw3.jpg

img1958hp4.jpg

img1959rv2.jpg

The tank is filled and the cycling journey is under way. :) Definitely a long day. I started with 90 lbs of substrate to get a 2 to 3 in. bed. I then went to my LFS who has been holding some nice rock for me and picked up 82 lbs of fiji. Lots of good color (pink, purple, & orange coaraline) and good life forms appear to be on the rocks as well. Only time will tell. I thought for sure I had enough RODI ready to go but boy was I way off...the sump is huge!!!! I ended up using all of the water I made plus another 20 gallons from my neighbor (definitely an advantage having neighbors with a 120 gal. reef tank) Needless to say by 9pm the pumps went on and after a few nervous minutes I am glad to report no leaks. I will be firing up the skimmer this morning so if all goes well with that then I will call it a success.

Once the lights are mounted I'll snap a full tank shot.

N o-Nano...anymore!!!

Awesome start...love the stand staining, I know you have already purchased a light fixture...but a tall canopy stained to match would be even sweeeeeeeaaater.

Im sharing this thread with the wife (trying to make her accept and understand)

cause Im looking into a 70 gal oceanic to setup in the 1st quarter of next year.

The setup Im looking into is used but complete with sump...no light or stand.

What are the dimensions of your tank???...I was told (from friend in NO that has tank) the 70 is 48 inchs X 18 X18.

Kinda wish it was wider...thats why I inquired on your tanks specs.

Very nice start...I WANT more pics...lol...cant wait to see it with some LR and that nice fixture blinging on it.

Izzue

Well here it is the first full tank shot. Still lots of microbubbles as the pumps and skimmer break in (Mag 5 for the skimmer is leaking from the housing so that will be a swap out today). The rocks on the left will be where some of the live rock from my nano will reside once my cycle is complete.

img1965og2.jpg

img1966gx7.jpg

Izzue, the dimensions are 48 L, 21 H, 18 W. The megaflow return cuts off some very useable space but as you saw from my pictures I think I have made it workable. I am lucky that I have a great LFS that let me pick through their rocks and he saved them for me until I was ready to put everything together. Every time he got rock in I went and cherry picked. To me this is the true value of your LFS. Sometimes you pay more but at least for me I always get great service and quality with the three LFS's I frequent (Sea in the City, Ocean Blue, & Aquarium Fanatics all in Orlando)

I had to replace the MAG 5 on the skimmer (casing was cracked under the impeller) so today was spent removing and then reinstalling the pump.

I thought I would go into a bit more detail on wavemaker setup. First of all I ditched the modded maxi-jets. Too noisy and I was just doubting their durability over the long haul with them being used on a wavemaker. I decided to go with my first choice...Tunze. I picked up two 6025's and have them set on an alternating cycle. The rigt pump runs alone for 15 minutes, then both together for 15 minutes and then the left alone for 15 minutes. This way both pumps get the required 15 minutes between on/off cycles required by Tunze and I get max flow with both pumps running (the AC Jr. really has a ton of programming flexibility).

Now just waiting for the skimmer to kick in and the microbubbles to go away (I love 100 gallons of new saltwater...microbubble paradise).

Well I came home tonight and the temp in the tank is 85.8!!!!! Thank goodness I'm just cycling. The house is between 76 and 78. What I feared most (temp issues) and worked to limit through externally mounted pumps has come true. I need some advice on ways to reduce temps before going to a chiller. I think it is inevitable considering I need a 6 degree drop just to get to 80. Help me out on some ideas or chiller recommendations if the temp drop I need is not feasible

I would try a small fan blowing across the top of tank 1st...

My 18 gal nano has 4 pumps in sump with 130 watt PC...I only needed a few degress...so I installed 140 watt peltier chiller/heater.

NEVER tried a fan like everyone suggested...figured the ceiling fan in that room wasnt enough...a fan wouldnt help much.

Well I had my 1st big brain fart a couple of weeks back (long story) and overflowed my refugium that ended up frying the chiller :angry:

Temps where getting out of hand but decided on trying a fan before I purchased a new chiller (only recommend compressor type- peltier gives off to much room heat it self to cool).

To my amazement the fan was cooling much better than the chiller did...actually almost to cool...had to get a heater to keep in check.

I just had the fan to come on when daylight bulbs come on...You will need an autotopoff or keep up with evap...it will be higher with the fan method.

Izzue

I would try a small fan blowing across the top of tank 1st...

Is there a particular fan??? I saw some specifically for tanks (4 fans in a row) made by azoo, I was thinking about 2 of these.

It says 5 to 7 degree drop??? I am using eggcrate on top, would I need to remove it (hope not, its keeping flyin objects from kids out of the tank)

I just used a 10 inch diameter (small) fan from walmart...10.00

You might want a larger one with pedistal that would raise it high enough to blow

across the top...

Got luckey on mine...My small fan sits on top of a D-9 Cerwin Vega thats within 3 feet of the tank.

NO experience with egg crate on top...but I would imagine it does hinder airflow slightly...but enough to remove...doubt it...if its a fairly strong fan it shouldnt matter that much IMO

Good luck

Izzue

If you dont mind me asking, what was the price like for the tank? I was looking at a 75g RR from oceanic and that fish place wants 275 for it. Just wondering how AGA compares to that price. Looking real good so far. WIll use as a guide when i set up mine.

Archived