Pod Your Reef

The new 75 is under way

o-nano

updates??? temp in check??? hows the cycle going???

Izzue

The tank is definitely cycling and I have quite the algae bloom. I am using one of the Seachem visual monitors for ammonia and it is reading at toxic stages. I have not taken an actual reading yet. I am waiting for the Seachem unit to read safe and then I will begin testing for nitrites, nitrates...etc. Calcium is solid at 480ppm and PH runs from 3.3 to 3.5 (still erratic but its early). I got the temp in check using 2 fans. I have not gone above 80.5 in the last 3 days. Tank actually got down to 76.8 as the low. Definitely pleased with the fans. They are blower type units, very streamlined (I'll shoot a few pics). Only issue is they are white?!?!?!?!? I am also starting to get some life growing on the rocks. It appears that I have some zoa polyps, a blasto looks to be regenerating, as well as what appears to be montipora. Still too early to tell but it's looking good.

If you dont mind me asking, what was the price like for the tank? I was looking at a 75g RR from oceanic and that fish place wants 275 for it. Just wondering how AGA compares to that price. Looking real good so far. WIll use as a guide when i set up mine.

I payed $250 (this price included the overflow kit). The AGA is basically the same tank as the Oceanic. The quality is great and the overflow is pretty quiet using the megaflow kit (I heard some real horror stories about the noise of the overflow but mine is pretty quiet).

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did some official testing tonight.

PH 8.6

Amm between 0 and .25ppm

Nitrite .2ppm

Calcium 400ppm

Looks like I am on the down trend of ammonia, it was 2 ppm a few days ago. Calcium has dropped and PH has gone up so I will be increasing the ml's of my 2 part chemical to get them in line.

Algae is definitely out of control (no brown diatom like I have had in my previous tank this stuff is bright green). I have been putting the lights on to make sure my temps are stable. I am thinking about keeping them off to minimize the algae growth. Should I turn them all off or just the halides??? I have some corals beginning to grow on the rock so I don't want to lose them.

Whats your lighting schedule now...maybe just cut the MH back...or all.

I know I like to observe during cycle for any hairy crabs...

At end of cycle you could also run some carbon and phosban.

Are you planning on any kind of refugium??

How about those fan pics...black spraypaint works great B)

Izzue

I got home late tonight but I'll try to shoot some pics tomorrow. I am planning on using the second chamber in the sump as a fuge once my cycle is completed. I don't have the light yet (I'll be using a mini freshwater aqualight like the one in my nano). I have the lights on a 12 hour cycle. Actinics from 8a to 10a, Halides from 10a to 6p, Actinics from 6p to 8p, moonlights from 8p to 8a. Temps got a little higher today, up to 81.5 but still very acceptable.

Niceeeee fans...looks like they where made for that application.

Did you find them locally or order?? I might have some use for one of those.

Did you cut the photo period back some?? can you tell if it is helping yet?

Izzue

I definitely got lucky with the fans. Wal-Mart had them. They are made by Lasko. I backed off the lighting a bit but I still have a good algae bloom going. I have never tested for phosphates but I may get a test kit just to make sure. I am using a 4 stage RODI unit and reef crystals. I am big believer in carbon but am not planning on using until after the cycle is complete.

2 weeks in and the cycling continues.

Amm - 0

Nitrites - .15ppm

Calcium - 430

Alk - 12.3 kh/4.3meq/l (a little high but my PH has stabled tremendously)

PH 8.37 (now ranging from 8.32 to 8.46 in a 24 hour period)

The best news of all....I HAVE PODS!!!!!!!!! Tons of them. Definitely a sign of good things to come and I have not even started up the fuge in the sump.

Tested this morning and things are looking good.

Amm - 0

Nitrites - 0

Alk - 9.8 kh

Nitrates - 2.5ppm (I just added my chaeto this morning into the second chamber of my sump)

Temps solid between 79 and 81.5

I have tons of algae including hair (never had this in my other tank ever). The cleaning crew will be added tomorrow to begin doing its work. Hopefully they can tame the algae.

The cleaning crew is in and working. I got 18 trochus snails, 12 nassarius snails, 8 scarlet hermits, and 12 blue legs. I probably need a few more snails (turbo's most likely). The Fuge is also up and running so I am expecting not only the algae to be eradicated by the crew but for algae growth to be slowed bt the chaeto in the fuge.

I added 2 Mexican turbos and 8 blackfoot snails. The total crew has made pretty quick work of the algae. I am considering adding my first fish(s) on Thursday. I would like to do a Kole Tang and a Yellow Tang. I want to add them at the same time to reduce aggression. I am also planning on a Jawfish, and a pair of clowns.

What do you all think?

I added 2 Mexican turbos and 8 blackfoot snails. The total crew has made pretty quick work of the algae. I am considering adding my first fish(s) on Thursday. I would like to do a Kole Tang and a Yellow Tang. I want to add them at the same time to reduce aggression. I am also planning on a Jawfish, and a pair of clowns.

What do you all think?

2 tangs in your tank will lead to a lot of agression. I'm setting up a 90 gallon and I also want to add a kole tang or yellow tang, but I can't decide which, and I don't want to add both and end up with a beaten up fish. The tank looks really nice so far.

echo-bravo 4-19

umm no it shouldent because hes introducing at the same time also thats a good enough sized tank the minimum size tank for an adult sized yellow tang is 75g and also for and adult sized kole tang so it should be fine im also thinking of getting a kole and a powder brown or yellow tang

Both Tangs went in together and not a single bit of aggression. They swim together all day and are picking the rocks and in the case of the kole tang even the glass clean. I am going to have to get a seaweed clip to supplement them because they made quick work of my algae. I have also introduced 2 corals from my existing Nano. A yellow Leather and some zoo's. I have to work today but I will shoot some pics tomorrow. The tank is really off to a great start.

As promised here are a few pics. The main lights were not on yet but you can see the progress even in these shots.

img3003pj3.jpg

Here's the sump...the Chaeto is growing quickly.

img3005uj0.jpg

The obligatory FTS

img3012nd8.jpg

I had one that had a cracked housing and did leak. I returned it to my LFS and no issues with the second. I am very pleased. If I had to do it again I would have gone with a Mag 7 for the skimmer vs the Aqua C recommended Mag 5.

The tank is getting better by the day. I have added some corals from my nano as well as some of the hitch hikers from the LR are coming alive. Here are some pretty good pics. The next addition will be a Yellowhead Jawfish. He is set to arrive at my LFS on Friday.

Tell me what you think :)

Full Tank

img3029bb6.jpg

Hitch Hikers

Zoos

img3020ax6.jpg

I believe this is encrusting Montipora

img3027la8.jpg

Corals and Frags relocated from my nano

Yellow Leather

img3018ho2.jpg

Open Brain

img3019rr5.jpg

Zoos and Shrooms

img3023un2.jpg

img3024ue2.jpg

Rics

img3021rb5.jpg

img3022pq6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting microbubbles like crazy from my return and started to notice salt creep all around my return pump. I could not find any water leaking. I took the pump apart and found a nice little hairline crack on the impeller cover. Air is getting in and causing microbubbles and evap. I called the Mfg. (Danner) this morning and they are sending out a new pumpcover ASAP.

Hopefully this will be the end of the microbubbles.

Archived