SaltCritters.com

Uh oh, here I go again

kinetic

I may be replacing the acrylic tank with a starphire instead, same dimensions etc. but just glass =/ I'm still seeing if I can find someone who will custom make it for a decent price.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

frag tank has totally recovered from zoapox. I still haven't dipped in furan2, but it seems like it's totally gone and my zoos started spreading again!

I just glued together my standpipes and painted the elbow for inside the tank, cut the styrafoam for the stand / tank buffer. I'm just about ready to put the tank on the stand. I just need to find some really buff people to come help me lift the tank 3 feet onto the stand...

I'll try to plumb the phosphate reactor, RDSB, chiller, and calcium reactor tonight.

Tomorrow I'll plumb the returns and drains, and walla, I'll be ready for leak testing!

What's left to do:

Buy a few phoenix 14k lamps

Hang the light

Epoxy the rocks together into a form I like

Make a very shallow sand bed, just enough to keep corraline from forming on the bottom of the BB ;)

Hook up the two DC8's and the Aquacontroller III

I really hope I won't have any leaks, then things will go smoothly. I also have to drill two holes into the floor for my chiller piping.

• 2 weeks later...

Glued my standpipes together:

534959813_075402ac50_o.jpg

They're kind of short, but that's as big as my overflow box is. I really should've made the overflow taller...

Here's the whole I drilled on the tops, I may need to modify this:

534853442_f2441a4862_o.jpg

How little room I have setup for them:

534853516_59e7fdbf27_o.jpg

Here are the return street elbows, yes I know there's like a 180 turn there, but I'm not concerned about flow of the returns at this point. I painted them black =)

534959531_9f9bd26f2a_o.jpg

Here's the 1" thick foam I cut for the stand / tank:

534852712_65f77c9e95_o.jpg

I'm going to keep the bottom of the tank bb, and seethrough, so it'll look like I have a white sand bottom because of the foam.

I installed my GFCI with that outdoor cover so no water can get in =) I will connect my two DC8's to it as well and have them up high out of the way of water, and I will also construct something to keep them dry as well just in case.

All I need to do is drill holes in the floor to plumb the cooler, and then my tank stand can be put in place, then the tank stacked on top.

dont street elbows come in black?

I couldn't find any =( do you have a source for those? I usually goto savko for my black stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
what size are they?

1.5"

wow. you live in pleasantville?!

wah?

how do you join the acrylic so nicely?

I didn't, they did: www.socalcreations.com

=) SoCalCreations does awesome work.

oh 1.5 streeet elbows, sorry I can't help you there. Maybe check svtko or that one other place.

How goes your system anyways

oh 1.5 streeet elbows, sorry I can't help you there. Maybe check svtko or that one other place.

How goes your system anyways

yeah, i just painted them with krylon fusion, it worked out well.

the system is just sitting there for now. I'll find another weekend to work on it a bit. I find that once I get started working on it, I need like 3 hours at a time, so just doing like 20 minutes at a time won't cut it =(

hey! did you ever figure out how to get a dosing pump on the ac jr to work?

no i never did, I sort of just gave up =P massive water changes frequently is what I'm doing now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
awww..... i thought you had an update! lol

well you saw my tank last weekend, still the same =P Except the chiller's being hooked up downstairs now. I'm also thinking of constructing a really fancy LR canister.

I will be getting a water tight bucket, much like a canister, and filling it with rock. It will have the locline spray bars going down the sides (4 of them) and then two circles, one on top, and one on bottom. This will keep detritus from collecting ANYWHERE inside this canister (hopefully). This will be inline with my chiller.

The bucket will be something near the size of 30 - 40 gallons, more than half the size of my display tank. I'm planning on running 2400gph through it in a closed loop with the loclines, and shooting the rest into the chiller and back up to the sump.

Reason for this is to keep the display to a minimum in terms of rock. I want to create rockscape using live coral ;)

you dont have that much rock in your frag tank to begin with, + the dry rock you got online, i think that the bucket wouldnt be neccesary, just keep your dry rock in the display and toss your rock from the frag tank into the sump.

im shure with all of the flow going through there you wont have to worry about detrius

There definitely will be detritus buildup unless there is a lot more flow. My sump will only have like 1100 gph going through it, and only a bit of that going through the refugium. I want a ton of rock so that I can keep up with the NNR of the three times daily feeding of anthias and genicanthus ;)

hmm anthias? i had a pair (bartletts, 1 male 1 female), when you get some LMK i have a cousin that works at Connies in Castro Valley, she can special order them for me and give me half off

BTW whats NNR? lol

Archived