inTank Media Baskets

Aqua Controller Jr.: DC8 Won't Turn Off Low Wattage Pumps

Maeda

I've been having trouble with my ac jr not being able to control small wattage devices (like a tom's aqualifter, and peristaltic pumps), and was told it was because the outlets were not properly relayed and the circuit board for the dc8 could not sense the device since it drew such little current... then I found this diy.

will this cure me of my problems?

It looks like it will....

http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com/diy/4-p...ar-extender.php

masterbuilder

That’s right. The DC8's wont turn off some very low voltage equipment and only few brands on top of that. The way I understand it is because of the soft start feature and not due to some defect, I hear that’s just the nature of how soft starts work, leaving some voltage on the outlet all the time. I don’t know that for a fact though, I am not an electrical engineer. Something to do with the type of sine waves??????

But...the work around is what you described (way too much effort) or even a short extension cord between the equipment and the DC8 usually solves it. I think that you can contact Neptune and they offer a fix for it (disable soft start) or will trade you out for 2 DC4's that don’t have the soft start feature. If your set on having the DC8 like it is, you can try a different brand pump and that usually solves the problem, at YOUR expense though.

Ask Neptune over on the RC vendor forums, they monitor it and usually reply in short order.

That’s right. The DC8's wont turn off some very low voltage equipment and only few brands on top of that. The way I understand it is because of the soft start feature and not due to some defect, I hear that’s just the nature of how soft starts work, leaving some voltage on the outlet all the time. I don’t know that for a fact though, I am not an electrical engineer. Something to do with the type of sine waves??????

But...the work around is what you described (way too much effort) or even a short extension cord between the equipment and the DC8 usually solves it. I think that you can contact Neptune and they offer a fix for it (disable soft start) or will trade you out for 2 DC4's that don’t have the soft start feature. If your set on having the DC8 like it is, you can try a different brand pump and that usually solves the problem, at YOUR expense though.

Ask Neptune over on the RC vendor forums, they monitor it and usually reply in short order.

If they are willing to swap out for DC4's i think i'd be down for that. Soft start is useless for me. :\

Archived