Innovative Marine Aquariums

Uh oh, here I go again

kinetic

Awesome thanks man. I had to raise my asm mini in my new sump too. You can check out my thread, I have a sump almost like yours and just used a rubermaid container to raise it up. For some reason socal drilled my tiny 32 gallon for a 1.5 hole too for the overflow, and the sced 40 did not fit snug for me too. How much flow are you going to have goign threw your sump? On my new tank I am going to use a CL and push 1900-2200 gph threw it and keep my eheim pump rated for 750 threw the sump. What are you looking to stock in this too?

-dave

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey dave,

what size is your tank? is it the 32g we're talkin about?

my sump is going to get 700gph total, so about 200 goes to the fuge section, 200 goes to the skimmer, and the rest goes through a RDSB and straight into the return chamber (to keep the skimmer chamber a little less turbulent).

I'm thinking of going with just 1 bulkhead for the overflow, and putting a cap in the second one. I don't know if I have room for two durso's in the overflow, and I can't get any tools to cut a stockman standpipe =X

750 might be too much for a 32g's sump unless it's HUGE?

2200gph is a good amount of CL flow for your 32g though =)

I'm going to have close to 5000gph going through this tank, about 90x turnover.

SPS and some zoos will go into this tank, and maybe in the future I'll turn it into coldwater since it's 1" thick acrylic ;)

do you have any pix?

haha my 32 has the 700 return and nanostream 6025 right now. I am upgrading to a tank just about the same size as yours. 38x18x22 with external overflow.

The sump I have now is around 22 gallons 25x13x16 but will be perfect for the new tank.

Yea I think I am going to have around 50x turnover on the new tank.

Are you still going to the the sliding lights? or just get 2 perndents?

-Dave

haha my 32 has the 700 return and nanostream 6025 right now. I am upgrading to a tank just about the same size as yours. 38x18x22 with external overflow.

The sump I have now is around 22 gallons 25x13x16 but will be perfect for the new tank.

Yea I think I am going to have around 50x turnover on the new tank.

Are you still going to the the sliding lights? or just get 2 perndents?

-Dave

hey dave, those dimensions sound really good =)

50x turnover should be great.

I'm trying to figure out what to do about the lights. I"m probably going to get the kit from ebay called agramover, and then modify it to only move 3 feet, then control it with my aquacontroller III.

if both the controller and the motor on the rail are closely sync'd, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

I'll probably paint the rail white to blend in with my ceiling as well.

I haven't made much progress on the tank, a few pieces of plumbing are coming in this week so I can start on that.

I also need to get some styrafoam to place under the tank and sump.

oi so much to do!

Koden

Ive been looking into the light mover...I really dont see any reason to slow the mover down. If the light constantly goes back and forth...that would be great for corals just like the aspect of being good for plants due to the different angles hitting the corals. The fish may not be extremely pleased -- but I would imagine they would get use to it...then you only have to set the light mover up to power when MH comes on.

Im thinking this application on a 4 foot long tank with 250 MH would actually save on utilities compared to 2 lights...and still get the saturation needed for the corals

Izzue

hey izzue,

i was thinking more along the lines of mimicking the movement of the sun, but you're right, having it move constantly would give the tank great light exposure.

I'm not sure if I"m a fan of a super bright MH moving back and forth in the living room all day long, especially if there's a piano right next to the tank =X.

For a frag tank, that might be cool though...

DFS has the light mover on sale, and so does AquaticEco. Are you going to go with the light mover izzue?

I might also get the agramover from ebay. not sure yet. I don't know anybody who has the DFS/Aquatieco one, but a few who ahve the agramover. They say the agramover is a little noisey...

Here's tentatively my shopping list for the light mover:

Yoyo - this will basically let me change the height of the pendant on the fly, but not sure if it'll work well with the light movers:

http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/Itemdesc.asp?ic...amp;eq=&Tp=

And one of these systems:

Hydrofarm: http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/Itemdesc.asp?ic...amp;eq=&Tp=

LightRail 3.5: http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/customkititems....LMLR351&eq=

AgraMover: http://cgi.ebay.com/Light-mover-AgraMover_...oQQcmdZViewItem

The agramover you need to purchase light rails, Homedepot carries them as part number: C-798-604

Or you can get the beefy agramover rails:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Light-mover-AgraMover-...oQQcmdZViewItem

The cool thing about agramover is you *could* mount fans on it, and it also doesn't need extra accessories to keep a longer pendant from spinning around. It's also the cheapest option.

I've read a few people using this unit, as opposed to nobody using the other units or havng any experience. The only problem with agramover is some say it's a bit noisy. If I only have it on for a few minutes during the day, then I should be ok.

any suggestions?

Are you going to go with the light mover izzue?

Its gonna be sometime next year hopefully...but ya Im kicking the idea around.

I like the idea of less juice, heat, and better coverage.

In the south the summer gets HHHOOOOTTT...so only one light on a mover would be a plus compared to 2 lights. But its gonna depend on size of tank...then I will be able to see if I can achieve correct light saturation from one light or not.

Izzue

Just did some research and found out the agramover motor is dead silent!

I'm planning to cut a 4 foot rail, paint it white, and mount it above my tank.

but first I think I'll just hang the 250watt de over the top when I first set it up to see how much shadow I really have. if it's totally negligable then i'll just leave the light rail out of the equation for now.

are you getting the mover for your mtank?

finally put together my miter saw + miter saw stand. I wanted to start cutting pvc, but realized I need a different blade.

oi, so more waiting for xmas to be over so the hardware stores open again.

• 4 weeks later...

well, nothing new yet, still procrastinating on the new saw blade. I've been so busy with work =/

this just came in a few days ago from scott over at aquaticsystemsdesign:

careactorsmall.jpg

ca_reactor1.jpg

ca_reactor2.jpg

ca_reactor3.jpg

it came with EVERYTHING needed except the MJ 400. It's plug and play at this point. I have an AC III with a pH probe already, so that'll control the reactor. =)

hey looking good! cant wait till friday, i can pickup my new...well to me it is tank! then pay the rest on my bday,

i have one question though, have you ever have thought of making the light you have on the 32 a 2x70w MH instead on 1x70w MH? or upgrade it to 150w MH?

hey looking good! cant wait till friday, i can pickup my new...well to me it is tank! then pay the rest on my bday,

i have one question though, have you ever have thought of making the light you have on the 32 a 2x70w MH instead on 1x70w MH? or upgrade it to 150w MH?

yup. I thought about putting two 70w MH's into the fixture. It's not hard, just have to cut away a few more pieces and grab the kit from illuming.

A 150 would fit, but with some more modification since it's a tad higher in profile.

I also thought of mounting two K2 viper 70watt hqi's, but the vipers aren't very good quality.

it you have a extra 70w MH ballast, and a bulb laying around, i might buy them, didnt you have one?, id much rather have 2x70w, or maybe just get the retro from illuming

so is this a coldwater tank? I actually decided to set on up too. I am still planning it though. I was going to do a big tropical reef tank, but I want to try something new.

Can I ask you though, if this is a coldwater tank, why do you have a calcium reactor?

so is this a coldwater tank? I actually decided to set on up too. I am still planning it though. I was going to do a big tropical reef tank, but I want to try something new.

Can I ask you though, if this is a coldwater tank, why do you have a calcium reactor?

It's not a cold water tank.

It's going to be a SPS dominated tank. (sps and zoos)

Though I could probably turn it into coldwater someday given the 1" thick acrylic =P

Ohhh...gotcha. So, why the 1" thick acrylic. Its funny how much difference the 1" thick acrylic makes. On the tank I am planning it changes the tank volume about 20 gallons when I used the inside dimensions instead of the outside dimensions to find the volume.

And, the tank looks great...love the polished edges.

Ohhh...gotcha. So, why the 1" thick acrylic. Its funny how much difference the 1" thick acrylic makes. On the tank I am planning it changes the tank volume about 20 gallons when I used the inside dimensions instead of the outside dimensions to find the volume.

And, the tank looks great...love the polished edges.

Hehe, I think someone was speculating why I was going with 1", and said "coldwater". Fishfreak probably.

I'm using 1" because the tank is, if you haven't noticed, completely braceless. It is polished lip, and it's pretty big, so I had the acrylic makers go overboard so that there won't be ANY bowing of any kind. It's going to hold like a tank. Plus I could coldwater it in the future.

When I move, I am thinking of going with starphire braceless, so I could turn this guy into a coldwater...

Anyway, you're right. Outside dimensions is 68g, but inside it's 10+ gallons less! holy cow!

outside: 36" x 20" x 22"

36-2 x 20-2 x 22-1 = 34" x 18" x 21" = 55.6 gallons.

darn =P but hey, it looks good! Not like I could keep a tang in a 68 gallon anyway ;)

• 1 month later...

I decided that I will be purchasing 2x Tunze 6055's and a multicontroller when the 6055's are released early April.

Once that's in place, I'll get the electrician to come GFCI the outlets for me ;)

I decided that I will be purchasing 2x Tunze 6055's and a multicontroller when the 6055's are released early April.

Once that's in place, I'll get the electrician to come GFCI the outlets for me ;)

another $300+ dropped just like that....don't you hate this hobby....

A, how are you liking the reactor? how does it compare to the Korallin or Premium Aquatic ones?

another $300+ dropped just like that....don't you hate this hobby....

A, how are you liking the reactor? how does it compare to the Korallin or Premium Aquatic ones?

Yeah so much money =( But I'm dragging this build on so long, it doesn't feel so bad if it's one purchase for my tank this entire year =)

The reactor I haven't setup yet, since the tank isn't up and running yet either. =/ I will definitely report back when it goes up. I've never used any other Ca reactor so I can't say how it will compare, but I'll tell you how it performs with salifert Ca test kits ;)

I'm thinking the end of this year I'll be ready to start plumbing the tank up.

end of the year? WTF?

haha lol =) I'm so busy these days, I work 14 - 20 hours every day, even weekends because of my startup company.

Archived