inTank Media Baskets

BioCube 8

stallen

BTA would be too much for this 8 I think. It would dominate the tank. Do what I did to have your clown reject everything. Buy all the corals them might host and watch him host the intake!!! :lol: what a jackass my clown is.......hand feeds now though.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I keep thinking about what I'm going to get next that my clown probably won't host. He's pretty cool though. He will take food out of my hand as well. Also, I was messing around with my LR with my hand in the tank yesterday. He nipped at me a few times, but mostly he was just swimming circles around my fingers and in and out of my hand. :o I was amazed as to how interested he was with my hand... not scared in the least.

The intake is what my clown choses to host as well.

Hey Salty!!! Or, somebody else that's using an MJ900 with the BC8.

I've been using the MJ606, but I just picked up the MJ900 and would like to give it a try. Can you tell me how you mounted the pump? Did you use the suction cup assembly or is it just plugged into the output and hanging there? Did you use #4 in the pic to attach it or does it need something else?

mj900aw3.jpg

Mine has only been run in a test situation, but I just used #'s 1,2,3 from your diagram. I rotated the output stem so that it pointed across the body so it only sticks out slightly making the smallest possible profile. Pressure fit the stock tubing to the output and lowered the 900 in with the inlet pointing towards the Min/Max viewer side of the cube.

I was planning on modifying the stock suction cup mount #7 above and connecting to what would be the bottom in the above description.

So MJ900 is resting on the bottom (like the stock pump) with the pump's output pointing straight up then with flexible tubing going up to the stock output?

It seems like SaltyVT mentioned in his thread that used #4 in the diagram (just the part on the left that looks like a "T") and left the venturi cap off. He used this to get some surface agitation in chamber 3 somehow.

So Salty - Do you have your pump sitting on the bottom, then flexible tubing, then venturi adapter with the cap off, and then the stock outlet? Is that keeping the water from getting stagnant in chamber 3?

I'm Alive!!!! Sorry been busy. I have the pump resting on the bottom just 1,2,and 3. i then used 4 with out the venturi cap. Added in the flexi tube and badda bing thats it!! Seems to move the water around some, enough for a heater and a bag o purigen!!

Johnny 5 Need Info, hows the 900 working?

Wew! Just finished a water change along with digging out all my rubble from the rear chambers and inserting the MJ 900. I can tell that MJ900 sure has a lot more flow than the MJ606. Not to mention the MJ606 that I removed looked pretty junked up from bits o' cheato and debris so it probably wasn't flowing at its optimum.

I'm sure it's a good move, but my xenia doesn't look to happy with the extra flow. I'm trying to figure out the best way to point my nozzles. BTW, here's a pic of my dual outlet mod.

sideviewuk7.jpg

sideview2zq7.jpg

That is a very clever idea to leave the venturi cap off, SaltyVT. I can definately tell that there is a little more water movement in that chamber.

Looking good Stallen. Love your new corals.

Is that second nozzle pointed straight down? It's hard to tell from the pics.

Looking good Stallen. Love your new corals.

Is that second nozzle pointed straight down? It's hard to tell from the pics.

Pretty much. The top nozzle is pointing up and toward the front right corner. So I figured I would point the bottom nozzle to the rear left corner.

I've seen very similar mods like this, but most of them are using a "Y" adapter and loc-line tubing. I'm using a "T" with one loc-line flare nozzle and the stock nozzle is on bottom. Seems to work out good. I'd say that 60-75% of the flow seems to be coming out of the top nozzle since it's more of a straight shot out and the remaining 25 - 35% flow is coming out of that bottom nozzle.

I assume then that you have no issues with the sand being stirred up?

No not at all. That one of the reasons I went to this dual outlet instead of the hydor-flo. The hydor flo was blowing sand (very gradually over a few days) out of the left front corner even with the MJ606. I figure I can have more control over the flow this way and I still get some random flow because the flow is coming out from two different directions and then colliding.

When I did my water change today and had a fare amount of debris floating around and I could tell that I have good flow throughout the tank; no dead spots.

• 4 weeks later...
Stallen, your tank is looking good but it still needs more cowbell!

Very true my friend. You can never have too much cowbell! Ahhhh the sweet sweet sound!!

Anybody wanna see my Xenia? Well here goes more pics than you'll ever want to see, but I think Xenia is pretty cool. I thought it was cool because of the pulsing action, but that's not all. It moves around to new locations.

Here it is when I first bought it. It was attached to a small rock about a quarter in diameter.

12/28/06

xenia1rt1.jpg

Here are several pics about 10 days later. It has itself attached to the glass and is leaving the rock.

1/07/07

x107ly8.jpg

x107bwb8.jpg

x107cop0.jpg

Here it is another week later fully attached to the glass. The rock that it was on shows no sign that it was ever attached.

1/13/07

x113nw7.jpg

Here it is today. It's got a new sprout at the base and its starting to separate. I figure this stuff is going to start multiplying!

x26pu8.jpg

Sure I know this stuff can grow like a weed, but it's fun!!! I guess some people can't keep it alive. Go figure???? I'm glad its worked out for me so far.

Nice xenia stallen, I'm with you on the coolness factor. It's almost hypnotizing to watch. Mine looks pretty weak right now. I don't know whats up with it but it was doing good for a week or two but now it's kinda shrunk. I've taken some of the same xenia and put it in my girlfriends tank and its doing really well. I think it is the lighting so maybe after I do my +18W mod it will start growing. I'm also waiting on a iodine test kit, I'm guessing my tank is low on iodine too.

nibble ... bite ... chomp! ... COUGH IT UP!

Alrighty then! Here goes...

I was getting tired of finding snails on the drip tray of chamber 2. I figured it was just a matter of time before a fish made it into the rear chambers. I also had some light spilling over into the display from the fuge light in chamber 2. And, I occasionally have a little water trickle over the false wall into chamber 2 & 3, bypassing chamber 1.

So it’s time to build up the false wall. Here is what I came up with…

dsc01872nl5.jpg

I built up the wall ¾”. It can’t go any higher than that without interfering with hood closure. Believe it or not this is just resting in place and it’s quite secure. The modded plastic is ¼” thick (just a tiny bit thicker than the top of the false wall). The clear plastic bulb cover is just barely resting on it. The groove I cut helps hold it in place as well.

I don’t think I’ll glue this in place. It’s nice that I can just lift it off when I need to maintain the rear chambers. Having the false wall another 3/4” high would make it that much more difficult to reach into the rear chambers with my hands.

Some close-up pics…

dsc01864kv9.jpg

dsc01866ww6.jpg

dsc01867bl2.jpg

dsc01868yh3.jpg

dsc01869qk2.jpg

I'm not sure if you can use this mod GMan. Maybe if there are a couple noches to allow for your loc-line and closed-loop going over your false wall. If this is of no use to you then...

Don't Believe the Hype!

I'm not sure if you can use this mod GMan. Maybe if there are a couple noches to allow for your loc-line and closed-loop going over your false wall. If this is of no use to you then...

Don't Believe the Hype!

This is a good start to protecting the fish and snail. But I need something that will protect the slit into the 2 water inlet into Chamber 1. I thought about using Panty hose but I was worry that it will restrict water flow and become clog up with Algae and other stuff quickly. This is how I lost my GOBY. So I only have 2 solution left. Either get a larger fish or fix it. My tank is not that big so I don't have much choices since I still want a Goby and would like to have a Clown fish as well.

This is a good start to protecting the fish and snail. But I need something that will protect the slit into the 2 water inlet into Chamber 1. I thought about using Panty hose but I was worry that it will restrict water flow and become clog up with Algae and other stuff quickly. This is how I lost my GOBY. So I only have 2 solution left. Either get a larger fish or fix it. My tank is not that big so I don't have much choices since I still want a Goby and would like to have a Clown fish as well.

If you are talking about the inlet on the bottom of chamber 1, some people choose to close that all together. You could probably put a piece of plastic on front of it and the suction would hold it in place. Another option would be to cut out one of the bars of that intake and just let the goby go in out of the chamber as he chooses. If the bottom grate in chamber 1 is still in place he won't go anywhere. (you might have to close the vents on the grate). A bigger fish is probably the best solution. My yellow watchman goby is pretty small, but he looks to big to get in there.

Archived