SaltCritters.com

BioCube 8

stallen

Chop, Chop!!!!!!!!! I don't have all night you know!!!! :D

Ohh all right Salty, D@MN!!! (lazy @$$ gets up to get the camera...)

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... OK, here ya go.

Nothing too exiting. I've focused mostly on modding the tank and maintaining the tank rather than making it purdy, but anyway...

FTS

ftsef9.jpg

Top View w/Flash

topviewflashbnw1.jpg

Top View no Flash

topviewgt2.jpg

Yellow Watchman Goby (too lazy to get out the tripod)

ywgxi6.jpg

Actinic Shot

actiniconlymq8.jpg

... OK, here ya go.

Nothing too exiting. I've focused mostly on modding the tank and maintaining the tank rather than making it purdy, but anyway...

FTS

ftsef9.jpg

Top View w/Flash

topviewflashbnw1.jpg

Top View no Flash

topviewgt2.jpg

ywgxi6.jpg

Actinic Shot

actiniconlymq8.jpg

Man i wish i was as patient as you. I'm sure eveything is going to thrive in there. Lucky little clown and goby ;)

Lookin' good Stallen.

Man i wish i was as patient as you. I'm sure eveything is going to thrive in there. Lucky little clown and goby ;)

Lookin' good Stallen.

Thanks! That was very nice!

Stallen, the light I chose for my fuge --- gonna work? See a few posts back......

Lux

Yeah, I didn't answer earlier because I don't personally have experience with it. However, I have seen (in the threads) people that use it and say it works. I tend to believe it... I don't see any reason why they would lie about it. Who told you it wouldn't work. Obviously it won't work if you have a big 10 gallon fuge. But for our purposes in this little 1/2 gallon chamber, I think it should be enough light.

The other thing that comes to mind is that once the chaeto starts to get thick in there the bulb will be smothered by the cheato and the only thing getting light will be the cheato that is wrapped around the bulb. If you have a bulb on the outside of the glass you have an area that is about 3.5" x 6" that is getting light.

It is amazing how much cheato can grow in that little chamber. I once pulled out a ball that was about 2 foot long and 6" diameter!

Did you already buy the bulb? If so, I say give it a try. Again others say they have had success with it. I'm sure it'll work as well for you. If it doesn't work out, then give the external bulb a try.

Good Luck!

Thanks -- will do. And I thought this hobby was supposed to be relaxing. !! I bought a dremel, was pretty disastrous, but will try again tomorrow.

Thanks -- will do. And I thought this hobby was supposed to be relaxing. !! I bought a dremel, was pretty disastrous, but will try again tomorrow.

That mod can actually be done with wire cutters and a razor cutter. Use the razor to score from front to back (it doesn't need to cut all the way through) and then use the wire cutters to clip the plastic from the top down. Wiggle it back and forth until it snaps off. ;)

canyonblue737

stallen...

thanks for the quick reply. so my plan right now is chamber 3 will have the heater and no blue sponge. chamber 2 will be filter floss, egg crate, chaeto, purigen, chemi-pure, and 2 inches of live rock rubble. chamber 1 will have nothing at all (or should i do the modded stock filter?).

any links or explanation on how to wire the computer fan to the fuge light like you did? also an plans on how to wire an extension cord to a light bulb socket for the fuge light if i choose to use a stock CFL swirl as you did? i bought a light earlier that others have (see pic at bottom) but it gets quite warm and without a fan i am really worried about tank temp. i keep my house at 78 in summer (and won't go lower, it would be far cheaper to buy a chiller as expensive as that is) and without fan upgrades for the fuge light and stock tank lights i am worried about temps way more than you guys are getting.

ps: how warm is too warm? i have heard for a reef 78-80 is ideal but many of you guys are getting 81-83 and not too worried. after i exhaust my mod options for fan upgrades etc. how warm is too warm and i should cry uncle and get a chiller?

I am setting up a mini fuge in Chamber two of my 29g Biocube. I removed the false floor in chamber two, pretty cool....

I removed the bioballs, placed a layer of rubble, than purigen, chemipure and the Cheato on top of that. I may use eggcrate instead of the standard driptray to allow for more flow...and I would place filter floss on top of the eggcrate and not use the "Modded" filter pad I have in Chamber one.

The small light I ordered for the Cheato throws off a lot of heat, I wonder if I use eggcrate, (allows light to shine through) if the standard biocube lights would throw off enough light for the Cheato to thrive. Would this work?

If not, I will do the reverse rotation idea, where when my tank lights are off the 10 watt halogen bulb in the mini fuge in chamber two will turn on, probably at night. How many hours of light will the Cheato need?

Here's a diagram of the mod, (again) B) :

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/ind...dpost&p=1143990

For those of you who followed my saga with my 6 line wrasse, :angry: :

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...hreadid=1143046

the LFS took him back. I am leaving the tank alone for a few days and let everything settle down....the water needs to be changed, the rocks need to be moved back -- but everyone and everything needs a rest.

The six line wrasse was a great fish, fun to watch, and kept the rocks really clean. He was just very aggressive. I think fish give off pheromones. He was living in the third chamber with the pump, and I think the clowns could sense he was still in the tank. Now that he is gone, they are much more relaxed, and starting to not just huddle in one corner.

Hey Stallen!!!

I just dropped by SaltyVT's thread as well, but I want to thank you guys. I've been following both threads for months and just got my hands on a 14g Biocube. Check out my tank thread, I have only done a couple mods so far but thanks to your inspiriation many more to come Meow!

• 1 month later...

Lux, my light is working fine. The cheato is not growing per say, but it's not deteriating either.

Also, earlier, it was noted I have a monticap in my tank. My zoas were partially blocking the light so when I moved them half the monticap was bleached out. Since moving it, it's now regained it's color (bright orange) and has grown. Not bad for 38w!

ilovegropers

Nice tank every one i am starting a 29BC here soon and hope it turns out as great. I have a few questions. One If i don't mod does these mean my tank won't work great. also what kind of fish and coral do you recommand i should get sonce i am a newbie. also I like the mod hype I am going to tell my dad. Then i notice I have no life because I set here and read about every reply. Then notice this forum it self has almost been going on for a year. Nice tanks every one! :D

welcome aboard and may the mods begin :-)

reference, "If I don't mod does this mean my tank won't work great?" the tank will work fine. a couple mods to consider is one additional pump for increased flow or replace the stock pump with one that has less watts (reduces heat) but more flow.

on my 8g i simply added one pump and took out stuff in center middle chamber and made it into a fuge w/submersible light. pump ($16), light ($11), and twin duckbill ($13). nothing crazy, but boy is this tank happy.

as far as corals. w/stock lighting look into mushrooms, zoas, and hammer or frogspawns. good color and movement given the right variety.

ilovegropers

I dont mean to take over forum just a few question is all i need :D. Ya one reason i ask is because I will be short on money and i just want it to be simple I love the way the coral and the way the LR and fish all come togather. Way better then a FW tank. But I think i am going to just keep it all the same maybe talk to dad about the pump and the mini wall.

• 2 months later...

It's my tanks birthday, but unfortunately I have to sell out. :(

These pictures are from June, but everything looks the same except the torch is a little bigger and the back wall is covered with coralline.

... OK, here ya go.

FTS

ftsef9.jpg

Top View w/Flash

topviewflashbnw1.jpg

Top View no Flash

topviewgt2.jpg

ywgxi6.jpg

Actinic Shot

actiniconlymq8.jpg

MY TANKS IS 1 YEAR OLD!!! :flower: Happy Birthday, Tank!

As you all can see, I haven't been posting much lately. I'm getting more and more busy with school and have little time left over to devote to my tank. After the first of the year, I won't be home at all during the week to take care it.

Unfortunately I need to sell everything. The pictures above are a good representation of the tank. Nothing has changed except the back wall is entirely covered with coraline.

I figured I would post here first to give those that have followed my thread a chance to buy first. If I don't get any activity here, I'll post in the classified section in about a week.

I think the list goes like this:

LIVESTOCK

Percula Clown

Yellow Watchman Goby

Torch Coral (about 10 heads)

Frogspawn (4 heads)

Red Mushrooms (about 10; these are very small mushrooms; most of them about as big around as an eraser head; one of them is quarter size and another is nickel size. They are all attached to a baseball size rock)

Fiji Live Rock (about 10-12lbs)

Dry Goods

PinPoint Ph Monitor (will includes several packets of calibration fluid)

Modified Kangaroo 324 Dosing Pump (see pics in posts #131 and #168) This pump is almost the same thing as the Nautilus II pump from innovativeaquatics.com

Custom Timer Outlet (see in post #131) This will be hard to let go. Probably my favorite and most useful mod.

BioCube 8 (this will include the modified hood that holds an extra 18W bulb. I will also throw in the custom fuge light see post #24 and #25 for pics)

Refractometer Made by Vital Sine

( This is an awesome refractometer. It is very accurate and has an extra large display that is very easy to read. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...=2004&Nty=1 )

If you are interested please send a PM with an offer. It will probably be Monday before I will be able to respond to the PMs.

Thanks to all who have followed this thread and shown interest!!! :bowdown:

monkeytrumpets

Sad day! :tears:

I'm sorry you have to tear it down. That really sucks. It feels like the end of an era. Any time I had a random Biocube8 DIY itch, it seemed like you had already blazed the trail and figured out how to make the mod work.

In any case, I understand how busy school can be. Good luck, and I'll be anxiously awaiting your new tank once you have the time to get back into the hobby (You know you will, the nano bug's got you! :P ).

-Adam

Hey brother! B)

I just read through your thread and really enjoyed it. I am starting up a bc8 and love what you have done with yours! It's too bad that I return to nano-reefing just as you are taking a break :mellow:

All the best,

- Chad

Hey man, I PMed you back but your inbox is full!!! Delete some of that junk lol! Anways, if you are willing to sell it separately still, consider it sold!

Archived