Sept 28th 2012:

_MG_5302-Version2.jpg

Oct 27th 2012:

_MG_5535.jpg

Nov 1st 2012:

_MG_5550.jpg

Nov 11th 2012:

_MG_5581.jpg

So this will be my build thread to my new tank setup. I have some good ideas for it and im hoping i can make it happen.

I am using a standard 20 long tank with a 20 long planted macro algae/ sump display under it. I plan on using 2 AI nanos over the setup and a 2x24 T5 for the macro algae.

Im getting a Deep blue stand for the tank so i will have to see how that affects my plans if i can mod the stand how i want to. Heres the rough idea.

Untitled62.jpg

heres the basic idea for my macro/sump area:

Untitled-1-2.jpg

My mission is to make this tank as clean as possible. clear background all hidden wire (hopefully) clutter free.

Should be fun.

Got my stand today, the inside was way to small to work so i had to do alot more modification to it than i thought...

8aha7a7a.jpg

2012-09-15_14-34-59_195.jpg

And the stand is complete! Now i need to get the glass cut for the sump, and do the plumbing. I also need to buy sand then i think i can get it started :)

_MG_5255.jpg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow this is going to look SUPER cool. Can't wait to see this progress :)

Thank you! :lol:

Are you sure that center piece of the stand wasn't structural?
great build so far man! hope you rebraced the middle part of the stand to take the weight :)

Thanks! It was structural, I rebraced the whole inside of the stand, i will take pics to show you. I jumped on the stand and im 185lbs and it was fine. lol! :P

why did u design your sump to run that way?

I wanted it to mainly be a refugium, but i also needed somewhere for my media and heater to go. If you have any better ideas then id love to hear your input. I've never made a sump or designed anything like this before :)

Oh man, plumbing is so confusing. I dont have enough room to go straight down from the side like i wanted so now i need to have all these extra elbows i think..

Bought all my plumbing for the tank and pick up the glass today for the sump. I realized the return pump i got is not going to work with the headloss. So now im trying to figure out which one would work. Im looking at the mag 3 atm. suggestions?

Thanks! It was structural, I rebraced the whole inside of the stand, i will take pics to show you. I jumped on the stand and im 185lbs and it was fine. lol! :P

Good to hear!

Bought all my plumbing for the tank and pick up the glass today for the sump. I realized the return pump i got is not going to work with the headloss. So now im trying to figure out which one would work. Im looking at the mag 3 atm. suggestions?

I personally like Mag Drive pumps. I've run them in every reef I've had since '05.

I personally like Mag Drive pumps. I've run them in every reef I've had since '05.

I'm thinking thats what ill get, i only hear good things about them :)

Got a decent amount done today.

Glass wasnt done today so ill be getting it tomorrow and work on my sump.

I'm thinking mag 3 for return pump.

Once i have the baffles in the refugium and my new pump,

i can leak test the system. :P

2012-09-18_15-23-19_883_zps02918c64.jpg

2012-09-18_16-31-02_389_zps72a140a9.jpg

_MG_5259_zps616787f3.jpg

_MG_5263_zps32e3d469.jpg

_MG_5266_zps44018717.jpg

_MG_5267_zps1bc00fe1.jpg

Hope you guys like it so far! i know im happy with how its going! B)

I want to hear everyones ideas on what i should do with the bottom tank. Im doing macro algae and thats all thats planned. What would you guys do?

I want to hear everyones ideas on what i should do with the bottom tank. Im doing macro algae and thats all thats planned. What would you guys do?

In addition to sand and macro algae, I'd add live rock and live rock rubble. Pods would appreciate it.

In addition to sand and macro algae, I'd add live rock and live rock rubble. Pods would appreciate it.

The top tank will be more of a minimalist approach. So most of my LR will be in the bottom tank. :happy:

Have you thought about having the top tank drilled so you could not have to use that overflow box?

Have you ever used an overflow box? If the power goes out they can loose siphon and then water can be pumped back into the tank but it is not draining anywhere so it overflows the tank. Aside from that they can some what an eye sore.

I like the creative way you are doing the refug, cool idea I have never seen before.

Have you thought about having the top tank drilled so you could not have to use that overflow box?

Have you ever used an overflow box? If the power goes out they can loose siphon and then water can be pumped back into the tank but it is not draining anywhere so it overflows the tank. Aside from that they can some what an eye sore.

I like the creative way you are doing the refug, cool idea I have never seen before.

I agree, I used a overflow box once and if setup incorrectly like me... It's going to flood everything pretty quickly. Try to drill the tank if you can, ask your local reef club for some help if you need.

It is a great setup, I'm building myself a 20 long too.

I agree, I used a overflow box once and if setup incorrectly like me... It's going to flood everything pretty quickly. Try to drill the tank if you can, ask your local reef club for some help if you need.

It is a great setup, I'm building myself a 20 long too.

Thanks guys. I do understand the risks of an overflow box. I will be upgrading the tank eventually for a rimless drilled tank. Money is scarce at the moment. not worth drilling this tank right now. thanks for the advise though.

i have everything i need to get some water going in this system. I got the mag 3 pump that i will use a ball valve to adjust the incoming flow since the box is rated at 200 gph.

_MG_5271_zps1be3f328.jpg

finished the refugium. Wasnt expecting the pump tp be so big so i have very little room now. im just hoping i have enough room for the flow if the power goes out. guess ill find out soon enough... i also had to add a union, coupling, and ball valve to my plumbing.

So close to being full. A RODI unit would of definitely paid itself off by this point lol. I need to get me one before winter. The 40 minute drives one way to the fish store is getting annoying for some water.

UPDATE!

I officially have the tank up and running. I was having micro bubble

issues like crazy. After about 4 hours of trying everything i could

think of i finally eliminated all of them

I also bought a new marineland 150W heater and it is working

awesome. I have a Hydor pico powerhead in the bottom refugium

because there was not enough movement at all. I liked the Figi

pink sand so much on the top i bought 20 more lbs and put it in

the fuge. I was going to go mud but its so expensive and seems

not needed. Theres dust all over the rocks from the sand so im

trying to clear that up before i take pictures. I also had issues

with the overflow which seems to be a common problem

where it was loud as all hell. I fixed that finally too.

Happy so far, now i need to get

this thing cycled and get an ATO going and save for another AI

nano. I am actually debating on doing the 2 AI nanos or going

with a 6 bulb T5 fixture.....What should i do? I really want this tank

to have lots of SPS..

Archived