Top Shelf Aquatics

Imisky's Sticks and Colors Reef (Nov.12,2012 A years worth of growth)

imisky

Hi Guys

So a new thread for a kind of new system. For those that have followed up until now thanks and i hope you've all enjoyed the posts. For those that are new hello and welcome :lol: this thread might be a bumpy one (full of fun bumps)

So to start this tank thread is a continuation of my old build thread with the equipments changed around along with a new tank and no more HOB type equipment. For those that are interested in the older thread the link is here: imiskys custom 30g tank

Display as of Nov.1, 2011

_MG_7870.jpg

Disaply as of Nov.12, 2012 (1 year later)

8181048724_99d6b86337.jpg

FTS (Nov. 12 , 2012) by ECSuyu, on Flickr

Tank Video:

So off to a new start the tank is 36"x 13.5" x 13" custom tank built by me with a herbie overflow system. from the back wall.

IMG_5591.jpg

and with that said the equipments that will go with the system will be the following:

Main Light: 5 XP-G PAR38 spotlights with 60degree optics and driven at 750ma

Sump Light 1-2 XR-E PAR 38 spotlights with 60degree optics and driven at 750ma

Skimmer: SWC 160 cone

Return Pump: QO 3000

Power Heads: 2 Vortech MP40WES

MISC: TFL reactor for Biopellets

So far thats where I'm at, its getting close to the day of the switch over so it wont be long until its up and running with a new scape but old corals. meanwhile these are some pictures of the display.

IMG_5598.jpg

IMG_5599.jpg

IMG_5600.jpg

IMG_5602.jpg

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your last setup was awesome, good luck with the transfer.

Awesome. I loved your last tank and I feel like this one will be even better.

Thanks guys :) great to have you guys tagging along with this one as well

2x mp40es!!!! am the only person who saw this, lol!

typo or are you looking to set some world records here?

nope not a typo, you read it right 2x mp40es, not out to set any records. its just that having seen the flow pattern of the mp10 i find that i can dial the mp40s way down and get a more calming flow effect and less noise for the flow rate as opposed to an mp10.afterall we all buy the vortech for its wide flow..i find that the mp40 does a much better job

another small update

the swc skimmer 160 cone has arrived and it looks pretty nice for its price range. Packaging was great, i dont see how this thing can get damaged in transit unless it was hit by a truck. The unit itself is built with thick acrylic and with some quality. Little details like a compression cup for ease of taking on and off and easy slip in venturi makes this unit a breeze to put together..i didnt even need to look at the manual sheet that came with it.

So ive set the big date for the switch over, it'll be feb 5-6th i've got all the parts ready and gathering containers as we speak hopefully nothing goes wrong.

heres some photos:

IMG_5603.jpg

IMG_5605.jpg

IMG_5608.jpg

IMG_5609.jpg

IMG_5611.jpg

Thats a sweet deal.

ya it looks like a pretty solid skimmer for the price. I walk by the equipments everyday and everytime i walk by my fingers get tingly and i want to get it setup but i guess only a few more days to go...patients..patients

• 2 weeks later...

and the tank switch over starts...exciting!

i guess first the system has to come down first haha. and so it does..well not much to shwo other then the fact that there was barely any room left for walking after i was done taking the system down. The inside of the stand had to be reworked as well to fit the sump in

IMG_5615.jpgIMG_5612.jpg

with the messy part over i guess this is what ive been waiting for... the new tank!

I think its better if i let the pictures do most of the talking and ill just fill in the blank.

and the light hangers installed

IMG_5613.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

after that the plumbing and figuring out where the sump, ATO, dosing containers are going to go...IMG_5617.jpg

IMG_5622.jpg

and then finally the scape while i had fun doing it i used mostly knew rock, not 100% new as they've been curing inside a cooking container for a while they are new to the system.

IMG_5620.jpg

with the scape done it was time to add the corals in...it took a while to get all the corals off the rocks from the previous tank and then secure them to the LR. But overall i think it went alright it didnt take too long and some of the corals were easy to place.

IMG_5621.jpg

and then i plugged the skimmer in....20mins later this is what i got in the cup

IMG_5624.jpg

and i guess to finish it all off waited a couple hours and this is what it looks like, a little cloudy still but will surely go away soon i hope.

IMG_5626.jpg

Love the tank bro.
Nice seyup...really clean :)

you guys are fast, and thank you!

how far are your LED's off the water?

the LEDs are 8" above water running 60degree optics

and the first error i encountered.

last night i tested my Ca levels expecting everything to be in line..well nope the ca was at near 800 level and dkh at 13.. hm... weird because the water i used was always at 380-420 on the ca and 8-9 on the dkh.. well im not sure exactly how this all happened perhaps i forgot to check the salt water i had to mix the night before for the sg level but today when i checked the levels in the tank it was at 1.031 fun! i thought...not

well for the last few days ive been trying to figure out why the yellow tang had been so shy i guess that would explain it along with why my ca and dkh was out of wack as well. But on a good note, after 6 or so hours of bringing down the sg levels to 1.026 , the calcium is now back in check as well as dkh and the yellow tang, well thats just say he's back to his old self looking for food all over the place. what a big change the 0.005 in sg level difference can have on a system.

Very nice looking ... you always put together some sweet tanks..

Do you have the newer generation on IceCooLed's on your tank, the ones with 9 leds grouped in the centre with one cover as opposed to their last gen with the bulbs seperated with individual optics and spread out a little bit?

If so, how do you like them in comparison? and which color did you get?

beautiful tank! awesome lighting, and very clean scape

Very nice looking ... you always put together some sweet tanks..

Do you have the newer generation on IceCooLed's on your tank, the ones with 9 leds grouped in the centre with one cover as opposed to their last gen with the bulbs seperated with individual optics and spread out a little bit?

If so, how do you like them in comparison? and which color did you get?

thanks guys, you guys make just as good of tanks as any

nebthet i have the new generation IceCooleds (XP-E version 14K) and the old generation (XR-E 14K and a prototype 13.5K red that was never released) I liked them both and found the colours to be pretty good. The XP-E version is driven at 750ma instead of the older version which was driven at 650ma if i recall correctly. But aside from the 100ma increase both generations are great performers. The difference i noticed was the XP-E gave a shimmering effect more closely to the MHs while the XR-E gave less but still good shimmer. My guess is give that kind of shimmer due to the close proximity of the emitters on the new gen bulbs.

Great job on the tank! It looks really clean and professional, especially the silicone work. Did you cut the glass yourself?

Thanks, nah i didnt cut the glass myself that would be a little too epic of an DIY job. i got the glass cut at a local glass shop, surprisingly 1/4" glass was decently cheap..in hindsight should have gotten the front panel as starphire :lol:

Archived