SaltCritters.com

CoRPS' 20L AIO w/Rockwall

CoRPS

This tank is inspired by tyty22's tank. I just changed a few things around to suit what I wanted :)

shot2.jpg

Chaeto, LS and LR rubble in the fuge area. 2xMaxi Jet 1200 blowing water into display, thinking about using some loc line to get it angled correctly to hit all the corals.

I don't really know what my plans are as far as livestock. Was thinking some pair of oddball clowns.. I don't think I want false percs. And maybe a goby/shrimp combo.

What do you guys think?

Edit:

Not that it's a contest tank, but just for me I'd like to keep a list of everything I've spent on the tank so far.

Tank: $29

Acrylic: $20ish

Weld-On: $10

Syringes: $FREE

Foam $5

Egg Crate: $11

Zip Ties: $5

Total: $80 (as of 11/14/08)

Still need to get:

Sand $20

Base Rock $FREE

Some LR Rubble $Don't know

Epoxy $Don't know

Lighting ~$100

Powerheads ~$50

Loc Line ~$10

Hoping to spend less then $300 on everything. Should be much less.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WTF MAN!? Where are all the recipes?

No but seriously, this looks exciting.

haha.. I still post everything on RC if you wanna check them out over there. lol.

haha why not anymore?

If it annoys xbwolfx then i friggen love it.

haha jk.

Whens this tank starting up?

I just get a lot of flack for it. It was funny at first but got annoying.

As for the tank, I think I'm buying it tomorrow but I'm not sure when I'll start the DIY work. I still have to find an acrylic supplier, go to my dads shop and borrow some tools and figure out how exactly to connect everything. We'll see :)

haha thanks

your design looks awesome! i can't wait to see it completed

i would deffinitly add the loc line i added some to my tank a few days ago and its great.

you might want to think about getting two mj900's instead of the 1200's. i have one 1200 and it seems to give a ton of flow all by its self.

how much room do you have between the false wall and the glass? make it enough for your hand to easily fit back there. it will be a life saver when it comes to siliconing it in and regular cleaning

haha thanks

your design looks awesome! i can't wait to see it completed

i would deffinitly add the loc line i added some to my tank a few days ago and its great.

you might want to think about getting two mj900's instead of the 1200's. i have one 1200 and it seems to give a ton of flow all by its self.

how much room do you have between the false wall and the glass? make it enough for your hand to easily fit back there. it will be a life saver when it comes to siliconing it in and regular cleaning

You know, I thought about that once my brother was done doing the sketch-up work. I might make it 4" wide rather than 3"

On top of that, to save some space I'm thinking about making a rock/foam wall that wraps around all 3 sides of the fuge with a small rock island in the middle.

masterbuilder

Love the design. Tagging along with this one.

Mark

p.s. I was going to use 1200' in my tank. But the 900 provide almost as much flow but a fraction of the heat. 8.5W vs. 20W

GrandpaFeathers
gfy

haha no matter what topic it is, we're always on oppsite sides.

You probably only hate Obama because I like him.

Ok I'm going to pick up the tank and acrylic today. There is a home depot about 5 minutes away, and a lowes about 30 minutes away. I'm goign to go to the lowes store because that will save me a ton of time. They willc ut your sheeting down to size, which is great.

Last thing I need to know before I go. Are stainless screws safe in an aquarium? I was planning on sealing with screws and silicone. What else can I use?

Didn't go this weekend. I'm going to go either on Thursday or this weekend. Will update the thread when things are underway.

Also on RC one of the members told me 2xMJ1200 wouldn't be enough flow for a 20 gallon. Anyone have any input on this? I'd like to keep the flow coming from the fuge only, I don't want to have any Koralia's or powerheads in the DT

Ok. I'm going Thursday to get the tank. Once I've picked it up I'm going down to Lowes, going to bring the tank in with me and get the dude to cut me out the acrylic. How much do you think I should tip? $10 sound good?

Ok so I decided to go today. Got my tank, went to Lowe's and got the acrylic cut. I offered the guy a $20 tip and he refused! :( I hope I didn't offend him or something.

Anyway, they didn't have any Krylon Fusion paint and while I was there I had a complete brainfart as to what kind of sealant I should use to adhere the acrylic together, and what kind of silicone to use for the acrylic to glass.

Marco... Dude, if you want I'm going to be working on it tomorrow, call me up if you wanna swing by, I've got some brews waitin for you.

It's cool. I went to Home Depot and Ace Hardware and called a few plastic shops, no one has weld-on. I tried using regular aquarium silicone but it didn't work out well.

So, I'm either going to look for the acrylic silicone you were talking about, or order some weld-on online and wait till next weekend to build.

Here's what it looked like while applying the silicone.

silicone.jpg

I let it dry for about a half hour, and let the clips loose. It was wobbly :(

Use the weld.on-3 for acrylic. It works the best. Get the biggest container too. That way when you think of another project or you forget to put the lid on tight and it evapotates you might have some left in the container. LOL trust me I forgot to put the lid on for 24 hours and the sheit almost all evaporated. tagging alone B)

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got the WeldOn #3 as per Thristan's suggestion. Also got some syringes. I'm doing a test run on some spare acrylic but will be building the rest of it tomorrow.

Hopefully will have a water test by thursday or friday.

Also, for anyone following. What are your thoughts on a rock wall on the false wall? And a small LR rubble island in the front?

Archived