Top Shelf Aquatics

Pickle's AIO 40 BDR

Pickle010

As some of you know I have out grown my BC29 and at the last Petco $1 per gallon sale I picked up a 40bdr. I have been procrastinating getting it going because of a pending home sale and move but now that it's time to move I thought it would be great to move the contents of my tank to it's new home as well.

I picked the 40 breeder because of it's size and shape - I like the long and low look of a lot of tanks and since the plan was to keep it as much of an AIO that I could, the 40 breeder gave me enough room to build in a rear compartment and still have plenty of display area. I'm calling it a stretch BC29 since I incoporated a lot of the rear chamber design from my BC29.

So here is what I came up with:

The stand was made from scrap wood in my garage - mainly 2 x 4's, plywood and some pine:

IMG_1275.jpg

The rear chambers are 4 inches wide, I have large hands it gives me enough room to work back there and since I already have them I'm going to be using a CPR back pac fuge and my Aqua C remora Skimmer:

IMG_1284.jpg

I'm using a return on each side of the tank with 2 pumps generating 600 gph each:

IMG_1283.jpg

The top will be open with a 36" aquantics t5 HO 5 bulb fixture:

IMG_1277.jpg

And here is a picture of what it looks like today, keep in mind I was pressed for time and the paint didn't come out as well as I'd of liked but overall I think not too bad for my first attempt:

IMG_1282.jpg

I'm moving this tank to the new house tomorrow and I'll be making a second trip to bring up the contents of my BC29 in the next couple of days.

I'll keep you posted as to how the move goes!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were to start over right now I would do the same thing to a 33long 48x12x12, add a false back wall.

Nice and clean!

so what kind of pump did u get?

Thanks for the compliments everyone - Still out in the driveway fiddling with it, but the more I look at it, I'm realizing the tank is going to deffinately be a 2 trip process. I just don't have the room in my car to do this in one shot. So trip one is going to be the tank/ stand/ new live sand and some fully cured live rock. (Ive been curing it in a rubber maid container for 4 months now)

Trip two will be the contents of my BC 29 - which I may have up for sale soon. My wife will shoot me if I bring out the second tank.

I wound up with 2 RIO 8 HF power heads - I know someone said they would be loud but it's really all my LFS had that would fit the bill. I leak checked the tank yesterday and ran the pumps. To be honest the entire set up ran quieter then my BC29. If they don't work out they'll be easy to change.

Phase 1 complete - the tank is up the house and running. Phase 2 - Operation Pick Up Live Stock is going to go down on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'll let you all know how it goes - I've got a plan to modify a 40 gallon cooler to transport the coral... I'll let you know how it turns out.

Man, that tank turned out awesome. Looks great without anything even in it. I know I said it before but you are going to love the Aquatinics T5 fixture. Mine was always nice and quiet and always cool to the touch.

Congrats on the first phase of the move....the second is going to be the ball buster since it is the livestock. I'm sure it will all work out perfectly though.

Looking forward to seeing it up and going....

PHASE 2 COMPLETE!!!

What an ordeal that turned into - I started breaking down my tank at 11. I used a large 50 quart cooler and the idea was to run a heater and powerhead in the cooler. I made individual tubs for all my live stock from the cheapest tupperware I could find and I also transferred all my tank water into the cooler as I stocked it with my live stock. All in all, that process took about 4 hours and by 4:30 I was hitting the road to make the 190 mile trip north.

Well those of you in So CA know what the 405 at 5 is like. My 2.5 hour drive took 4 hours and to make matters worse my power converter shorted out the outlet in my car within the first 30 minutes of the trip. Luckily I had been running the cooler off of my house the whole time I was making the transfer.

By 10:30 PM the last inhabitant made it into my tank. Amazingly, the next day when the lights came on everything looked pretty good. I'm not that happy with the aquascape - but by the time I was putting my LR and coral in the tank, I really didn't care - I just wanted them in the tank.

So far besides some normal stress on some of my SPS, I have one zoa frag that doesn't look that hot. I was laughing this morning because even though I checked the cooler last night pretty well I found 4 snails and a hermit in the cooler this morning and they where all fine.

I'll post some shots in a couple of days!

I'm glad it's over - I'll have to move the tank one more time - only about a 100 yards when my new house is done being built but after all that - I think I can handle it.

Mike

Congrats on a successful move. Sounds like it was a LONG day. I know that even when I moved my 29g 5 miles down the road, it took me about 3-4 hours from draining the tank to getting things into the tank in the new location. It is definitely a PITA. I agree that once you get done moving, it's more about getting everything back into the tank instead of trying to get the scaping perfect.

Congrats again on the move and can't wait to see pics of everything in the tank.

Alright... It's almost a week and things have settled down. My tank is doing great - I added about 25lbs of fully cured LR to the tank when I made the move and I've been watching the peramiters pretty close. But I am ready in the event of mini cycle - just in case. I did lose the one zoanthid frag but everything else is fine so far. My frogspawn had lost some color but it's coming back strong.

Here are some pics:

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

And the FTS:

IMG_1456.jpg

The new tank looks great.....Let me know if the zoa frag you lost was one that you bought from me and Ill hook you up with another one

The new tank looks great.....Let me know if the zoa frag you lost was one that you bought from me and Ill hook you up with another one

Pro - you are the man!

But I have to be honest and admit that it wasn't something I got from you. I have more of the Zoa's that I lost on that frag - they where some of mine that I had avialable for sale or trade before I moved.

I went to check out my LFS yesterday!

It was a 40 mile drive one way and let's just say that I'll be doing a lot of mail order and I'll be watching my current stock grow out for some time. The good part is that I won't be tempted when I walk in the store.

Looking good Pickle....looks like everything has settled in perfectly and is nice and happy in the new setup. So what all SPS do you have in the tank? Didn't realize you had so much until I saw that full tank shot.

So what all SPS do you have in the tank? Didn't realize you had so much until I saw that full tank shot.

LOL... You know what... I wish I knew myself - I'm going to have to sit down and do some ID'ing myself here soon. The green slimmer is from Pro - It's grown 6" since I got it from him. I have a few pieces that I won in a drawing from MVITE some time ago - that's what got me going with SPS.

Then a little while ago I walked into a LFS in Huntington Beach and they have a SPS tank in the back room that went south on them. I mean everything looked bad - you could see some signs of life in some of the pieces but over all they where in sad shape. The store owner was rehabilitating them and I told him to give me a mix and he said he would put together some for me cheap since they where in bad shape. When it was all said and done I walked with over 10 SPS frags that he thought had the best chance of making it for like $40. They all made it and so far are growing great in my tank.

I'll start doing more research on them all and let you know what I "think" I have soon.

• 2 weeks later...
CypressSlayer
IMG_1462.jpg

I know where you got that one from. The new tank looks great, sucks you had to move I got some new CANS we could have traded.

Looking good isn't it? Had an explosion of heads recently as well... deffinately one of my favorites.

On another note my wife went into Visallia today (sounds so country) it's a 45 minute drive - so while she was there I asked her to stop in the LFS and pick me up some hermits - sounds easy enough right?

Well turns out they are closed on Mondays - Deathco next door carries them but are out till next week. Being the trooper she is she asked if there was anywhere else to get them and the Deathco clerk directed to another place. Of all places a feed store that dabbles in salt water and corals.

The guy sold her his last 9 hermits.

I can see a OC coral road trip in my future!

IMG_1461.jpg

Dang man Sell me some of those palys! Top left and bottom right

Ha ha.... I'll let you know when I frag them!

Archived