Coral Vue Hydros

7gal.w/sump

lil'wrasse cool

lil'wrasse cool

okey here is my new tank still working out some bugs but should be adding more live rock on thursday Still in testing phase. This is under 1 T5 10k the antinic died so need a new one. so far just 3lbs of indo thinking of putting one piece thats around 3"*8"*5"* around 6-8 lbs then use the 3lbs in the fuge. There is 4lbs of new sand and will be adding 2lbs of live today or tommow.

so here is some pics of the build and some of day 1. In a few months I'm planning on putting my 150w hqi over the little guy,and a filter/skimmer that I will use when needed (rio nano)

IMG_1465-1.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

used a two way pump so I can control the amount of flow/tumble cheato

IMG_1487.jpg

Pics of day one (yawn)

IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lil'wrasse cool
Nice and simple tank.

It's gonna look so clean!

That what I'm going for nice n clean.

The stand is open bottom so in keeping with the clean look I try'd to hide the wires from sight. Also adding a drip loop so if any water travles down a wire it will not go into the plug.

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

lil'wrasse cool
The tank stand is kinda lame, hope you're going to replace that. But the tank looks sweet

Well it's one of the end tables so I matches everyting in the room nice. Its just the towle I dont like. Personally I like the look just need something elses for the towle. I didnt want to reuin the finsh with salt creap. Also not the biggest living room so another stand really makes the room feel smaller so the less stuff added to the room the better. But you never know I might find something I like.

On a brighter note I'm getting more LR in about a hour and rubble from a guy that just wants some frags from me when I start fragging. Also I'll pick up my cheato that I gave the LFS to hold for me. I just hope its not to soon for cheato.

lil'wrasse cool

So today I got the rest of my LR in total I have 12lbs in the display and fuge. I also added a clump of cheat (too soon?) I hope not. found lots of hitch hikers but thats the norm also a bumble bee snail? looks like it but doesen't unless its just a big one. (almost a inch) now to play the waiting game weeeeeeeeee.

IMG_1756.jpg

Bumble bee???????? Edit...morula uva, not a bubble bee

IMG_1752.jpg

The tank stand is kinda lame, hope you're going to replace that. But the tank looks sweet

Well, that just shows that we all have different tastes! When I first saw it I thought it looked most attractive! And that it really fit into the room nicely. My only concern would be if it's sturdy enough for all that weight. But I'm sure you checked that out!

I even think the towel blends in nicely. But did you put something waterproof between it and the table?

What a wonderful job hiding the cords! And you certainly did an excellent job on that back wall.

I look forward to following this!

--Diane

lil'wrasse cool
Well, that just shows that we all have different tastes! When I first saw it I thought it looked most attractive! And that it really fit into the room nicely. My only concern would be if it's sturdy enough for all that weight. But I'm sure you checked that out!

I even think the towel blends in nicely. But did you put something waterproof between it and the table?

What a wonderful job hiding the cords! And you certainly did an excellent job on that back wall.

I look forward to following this!

--Diane

Thanks Diane I did a little dance on it so at 180lbs it felt solid. I was at the Dr. office with my g-ma and it hit me put a peice of glass or plexy under the tank :D that way you can see the nice finish of the end table and its protected from any drip or creap.....

Here is a couple pics of my fuge. I went sandless. Mostly just lr and cheato I have not got a light for it yet but I think enough light gets through the wall to grow the cheato but I will add one on a opp light cycle then the tank lighting. I need some filter floss or something for the prefilter but besides that its pritty much the way its going to stay. Going to add the hitch hiker crab to the fuge once I fish him out. maybe a snail too. also got about 5 aptisias (sp?) in there. just putting everything I find that I dont want in the display and throwing it in the fuge.

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

That's what I like, lots of pics. Great looking fuge--man, I wish I had one! It would be so nice to have a place for the "unwanteds"--which can be pretty interesting in their own right.

So you've had big reef tanks before and this is your first nano? Did you have to scale down or just want to try something new?

Jeez, I've got lots of empty 10g tanks sitting around...it would be so much fun to do something like this...

--Diane

Very very good job on the fuge. I wish I had plumbed in one when I 1st set up my tank. Now I'm too lazy and too intimidated to try.

About the stand... I was worried about the weight, but if you danced on it at 180lbs then LOL I think your good. :) I think it looks great actually.

Your rock has already got some great great color on it and looks nice. I have a 20 long so cant go up very high with my rock, but you have alot of room in your tank to play with it and stack it higher if you like. Also... that will come in handy when your adding corals, as your able to just put em right up there next to the lights. Way to go.

I think all in all your off to a very good start on this one.

And ya.... I REALLY need to get my cords and wires hidden like you do.. LOL Right now I just have em hidden behind a 5 gallon bucket! :blush:

Will be waiting for more!!!

IMG_1756.jpg

I had to go back and look at the tank size about 3 times - I thought it was a typo. That's a 10g?

That my friend is some nice work. I'm deffinately tagging along on this one if you don't mind. I've thought about doing the same thing with a 40bdr. Setting it up with a false wall... but a move in a couple months and building a new house has put those plans on the back burner.

I just love the clean look, having all the options you get with a standard tank and not having equiptment hanging all over the place.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress. I hope it all goes well but I'd like to hear about what challenges you run into so I'll know what to watch for when I do mine.

What are your stocking plans?

lil'wrasse cool

Well I never had a big big reef. I had a 40gal, 28gal, 20gal, and this is my 2nd time at the 10gal, First time with a fuge. Always did the aqua clear fuge and let me tell you I think they are the best thing to do. ( cheap n easy) over a fluval or stock filter. I amost had a 20gal fuge on my last tank 28gal. but I got a great job opp in another part of the country so I sold everything cheap.(not only fish stuff.ie 89 civic running $80) then the job was moved to another part of the country that I did not want to move to. sump was built then cracked wile packing... Just as the tank was about 6 mons old and getting some nice sps, and prepairing the fuge... So this time NANO/FUGE the easyest way to do it to. (kinda) planing wise. nothing to plumb no noise....yes...sold

The rock took me about a week to get. Looked for nice shape( holes and curves), colour (I have about 4 or 5 diff colours of coraline in the tank), and lastly stuff that I can stack but still have a top shelf to put frags on. Not finished with the aqua scape but I just wanted to get the rock in the tank and get the cycle started. Its 90% indo and 10% uknown the 10% I got off of a local forum member for the fuge. Plus I just ripped it apart hunting down a hitch hiker crab. I thought he was smarter then me after the first night of fishing...lol... I got him tonight sucka... brute force, good hunt... Have not got a a exact ID on him but I named him "Red eye devel" it's now in the fuge.

I just thought hidding the wires was with a open bottom needed to be done. I just hope I don't add to many things to the tank and need a 2nd power bar

The plans I have for the tank is mostly sps, clam, and some gsp's on the lockline return. Problems with this is the auto top off/kalkwater I would like it hidden so a gravity feed top off is almost out of the question. Then there is the lighting problem I have a 150W HQI but I shows through the tint. (I think because of the light gets into the fuge and lighting it from the back side) So now I have to use a T5 set up. NO only put out 14w per bulb so now I'm at under 3.5 W/gal. If I get another NO 2 bulber then I'll be at 7W/gal. for $80,,,, or sell my 150W PFO pendant and pick up a HO T5 for around $180 minus MH and put me at around the same W/gal as 2 NO fixtures would + 3 W/gal. But....I got about 6 or more weeks before I get any coral... Lots of time to plan it out. Or I can go a little cheaper and go lethers,softies,lps. I'm really starting to like zoas. I do have some button polips that came with some LR. Tank is less then a week but they look great so far(pic)

Did some test for the first time today

temp 82 Its hot right now

SG 1.024

am 0

Nitrate 0

cal. 340

ph 7.8

I did add some cal today that could be why the last 2 are out. As for nitate and Am? test again tomorrow.

I cant leave without a pic so.... "Red eye devel" king of the fuge.... (bad pic)

IMG_1784.jpg

buttons

IMG_1776.jpg

lil'wrasse cool

Oh i guess stocking plans for fish too. I really like the goby/pistol combo. But pistols are hard to come by here. do-able but hard 2-3 weeks to order from a lfs. My GF really like fire fish (but I dont) so thnking hi fine goby. and maybe one more little fish at this time unknown

lil'wrasse cool

found a pick of the last time the 10gal was set up....I hope this new one is nicer...

IMG_1291.jpg

Still love the bi-colour blenny you can see his head at the highest point of the tank..kinda center.Lookig over the LR

I'm taggin on now! this is pretty much an amazing ten gallon in the making. your rockwork is inspirational, makes the tank look huge in pictures (esepcially the last one). how do you like having a custom all in one?

found a pick of the last time the 10gal was set up....I hope this new one is nicer...

IMG_1291.jpg

Still love the bi-colour blenny you can see his head at the highest point of the tank..kinda center

Gee, I really like that, l'w! Esp. the "stone" head, complete with turbos & encrustings. I can just make out the blenny and I agree, they're full of personality.

For some reason I had been under the impression that this was your first nano, but I see I was mistaken!

Do you really need an ATO with a 10g and that much cover? Perhaps you could keep up manually and eliminate the need for more equipment...

Otherwise, I look forward to your solution!

--Diane

lil'wrasse cool

So far I realy like the tank so far (9 days)lol. Haha went to my buddies yesterday he has a 20gal. It looked like a monster. Even my gf thought he upsized his tank lol. He wants me to start fraging some stuff to get ready for my tank. ie zoas, mushrooms, and a lether. When I thought I was moving I gave him I'd say $80-100 in softys lps plus 2 false percs for his office red sea max. So thats cool that he wants me to frag stuff back to me.

As for the auto top off I will only do this if I go the way of sps. But I starting to lean the way of a softy tank. I'd be saving money on lighting and not worry about the ato, I'd still add another T5 but even if I buy that new it would be $80. But we have a great fourm in Winnipeg and lots of people sell there lighting to upgrade or leaving the hobbie. Right now I could get a 30" T5 for $30 but the tanks only 20" so that would be a crazy over hang. but that just shows the good deals around here.

As for the cover I took the factory canopy off I was getting to much water buid up under the hood causing it to drip down the sides of the tank. So now just 2 peices of glass.

Finaly tanks doing something after the last time I tested I thought I was not getting a cycle but yesterday I took a nap in the day and when I woke found a diotom out break. Not really a out break but some on the sand and the rock I guess I'll get a little CUC in a few days.

Thanks to everyone thats tagging along with this project. I hope it goes well. and not a big flop. But with all the help on this forum I cant see anything going to crazy.

Just sucks I got no new pic... Well I just went to photobucket to a some kind of pic but they are off line sorry. I love to have lots of pics on my thread... So any of my nano reef buddies (anyone?) want to leave a pic of they're fave lps or any sofety to help me go the way of softys. But the pic has to be from your tank. also because I will not have any coral for a wile.

I think "2 pcs of glass" is the best kind of top. I replaced my ready-made glass top with a couple of glass-shop cut pieces and got rid of the big black plastic hinge... The glass really cuts down on evaporation and eliminates carpet surfing fish...

Speaking of fish--why not get another bi-colored blenny? Or interesting goby/gobies...I just find these sorts of fish so full of personality...

OK, if you insist, here's a softy pic--Xenia & shrooms:

dscn0937largebp2.jpg

:D

--Diane

lil'wrasse cool

Little up date more trubble with hitch hikers. Brown flat worms yay :angry: syphoned out about 6 yesterday. They were all on the glass. Looked for them on the rock but they were so tiny I dont know if I could spot them away from the glass. Boy I really love my little 3ml turky baister thing. so many uses I wish I remembered where I got it from. Also added a scarlet hermits today. Wee more life

Nice pic. c est ma

Here is 2 of my fave softy pics

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

lil'wrasse cool

Well found another flat worm, Diatoms are more now and trites,trates,am still 0 this is kinda worries me did i miss the cycle or did it not happen yet???? I'll still wait a week or 2 but adding a fish might be the only way to know for sure. Still hear clicking and my hopes for a pistol are still there (slim) Because I noticed the crab is breaking or eating lr in the fuge. Found a good deal on the local forum $50 for a 24"HO T5 but then got banned from the forum for my ideas for a nano reef contest. But I think I got the guy with the lights email before I got the boot, but he has not got back to me (fingers crossed).....

EDIT....traitres are now at 20. I put a little frozen mysis in the tank and killed the pumps for about 30 mins. I dont know if that had any thing to do with it but atleast somethings happening

Aw, love the blenny in the toadstool! Funny, I hadn't even noticed him in your avatar till you posted the big pic, and now I wonder how I missed him!

I think you can get on top of the flatworms if you keep siphoning all you can see before they get too numerous. I got a bad infestation because I didn't think they were anything harmful at first. I chose not to use Flatworm Exit, just kept siphoning them out with each water change (and sometimes in between). After maybe a year or so they just seemed to crash--now I hardly see any.

I'm not much of an expert on cycling but I'd say you're still in yours, even if your readings are nil...

I love my scarlet hc--very active and never hurts a thing.

--Diane

When I 1st set my tank up back in 04, I had elevated readings for about 2 days then all was normal.

I'm sure I was still cycling but the amount of live rock and sand I had kept all readings very low to nil.

I waited a good while before adding any fish and I still just have 1.

A tomato clown, who is such a chicken he gets harrased constantly by my coral banded shrimp. :D

P.S. Love the Blenny!!!

"OK, if you insist, here's a softy pic--Xenia & shrooms:"

P.P.S. Diane has the best Softies IMO ;)

lil'wrasse cool

well not much changed since my last post I'll try to take take a pic tonight, but I got a 2nd round of a pool qualifier tonight so I might just go to the pool hall after work. 5 points away from the leader..yay.. But Nitrats have dropped to 0..wee... might get a fish this weekend,there is a nice high fin prawn gobie at one of the lfs(white with yellow dots) also added some star polips, I'm attaching them to the lock-line with an elastic band. and the hitch hiker button zoas are doing great, I moved them to the sand bed and still doing great not over reaching to the light or anything...Also re-adjusted the rock work to have a long top shelf and to be able to clean all 3 sides with the mag-float... (I) think it looks nice. anyway hope to get some pics up...

Archived