Coral Vue Hydros

7gal.w/sump

lil'wrasse cool

lil'wrasse cool

well I got 3rd in the qualifier, not bad since I'm ranked a "C" and the turny had mostly "A" players.... Back to the tank...

FTS... can now clean all 3 side also have a nice shelf for coral

IMG_1827.jpg

The buttons... also looking nice lower in the tank

IMG_1822.jpg

And the star polips... I think they are brown though. The only ones I could find at the lfs that were not attached

IMG_1824.jpg

Also noticed some kinda macro on the glass

IMG_1825.jpg

The diatoms are clearing up as you can tell by how bright the sand is. Still some on the far right side of the tank but.......Still taking her slow. not to many probs came up..well none really still enjoy it even hough is only LR and a hermit .lol.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool that you have the star polyps attached up there.

What other types of coral are you planning on adding as time goes by?

(edited for spelling)

lil'wrasse cool

coral wise I thought when I first started this tank I'd go with sps.I seen alot of nice big sps tanks localy. So I wanted a mini one but....After doing the math it will cost me alot more... Over the last 3 weeks I've spent alot of time at lfs's (shocked I've not bought anything yet!!) But there is somany nice lps,lethers,zoas. I've never realy liked zoas before now but, if you stair at them long enough they grow on you. so mainly zoas, a finger a toadstool and I really like brain corals perhaps a open and a closed, I also like rics but around here its not much bang for the buck, $25-30 for a quarter sized one. I dont realy like star polips, but they are the best thing I could think of that will quickly cover the lock-line and have a natural look. But basicly its whatever the lfs have that I like when I go to get something. Now only If i could get back on to the local fish forum to use their buy and sell I realy want to get rid of my MH set-up and put that $200 into the tank, plus thats the best place to get frags.

Also yesterday I removed the eggcrate from the over flow. I didnt like the white look of it anymore...

Great looking tank!!!

Been looking into getting back into setting up a new tank as I had to give mine away a while back. I really like the false wall look and the cleanliness of it.

If its not too much trouble, do you mind me asking where you got the black acrlyic and how much it cost? Also, what did you use to cut it? Also, did you divide the back with baffles or is it just one large space?

Any info that I can use to replicate your tank would be much appreciated...that is if you don't mind me copying your idea :D

Thanks

lil'wrasse cool

Well????? Its a tinted type of glass not acrlyic and I dont know where it was bought from it came from one fellow reefer then to another then to me...lol... The glass was all cut by the local reefer I got the glass from...He works at a window and door place so he had all the tools for the job... the glass was cut to size but the overflow part was cut with a liquid cooled dremle. All I paid for the work and glass was a seio 620. Sorry for the lack of help but... If I would do it again I'd use something that is black because when the fuge is lit you can see through the glass into the display side.. I do have baffles I dont know if they are in the best place but my idea was mainly for a bubble trap. So 3 baffles next to each other. On the first page you can kinda see it...

Tank update....

I have still not bought anything but gave a lfs $20 to hold any shrimp gobies that come in and call me...I was there for a hour today while he unpacked a shipment, the only ones that came in were manderins :angry: Also found some more hitch hikers... zoas that have been in the fuge for the last month with no light...They look fairly bad but looks like 2 out of 8 might make it. (I hope) and...........................a pistol shrimp wee (kinda) its about a 1/4" long so just a tiny bugger...But I hope it still pairs with a gobie. I know they dont all pair up but the hope is there. Diatoms are gone and no more algea has popped up so that not bad. Also got some cool kinda macro growing on the glass and a little bit of coraline growth on the back glass...

Probs I've had...The water level was to high everytime I put my hand in the tank the water would pour out a little if I did it to fast...fix... Removed egg crate from the over flow and that dropped the level just enough plus I didn't like the look to much ... Also I re sealed the top trim... After that not any more probs.

Bobajum I'll take some picks of the fuge tomorrow for you I'll try to help you out as much as I can. I wounder how many people realy read these long posts??? I dont think I do lol ..just look at pics to tell the story haha good night I put thouse pics up for you and try to help with any Q's you have...A good thing to remember is to get the pump first the find how big to make your sump. So it can be removed and cleaned...

your tank looks great! if you didn't post that picture of the full setup, i would've thought it was much bigger than 10g.

are you still using a glass top canopy? you should take that off for proper gas exchange. with it on, the aquarium isn't getting enough oxygen.

Tim

lil'wrasse cool
your tank looks great! if you didn't post that picture of the full setup, i would've thought it was much bigger than 10g.

are you still using a glass top canopy? you should take that off for proper gas exchange. with it on, the aquarium isn't getting enough oxygen.

Tim

Its not much glass I'd say about 65% covered. I'll cut them down or I mean one in half and use that once I can Find my glass cutter? but I want to find the light that I want (not 100% sure yet) I dont think it would be keeping that much gas in? would it?

Pics of the fuge... I dont have enough room for a fts of the back but I hope its enough to get the pic...

3 Bafs

IMG_1867.jpg

How it is most of the time

IMG_1868.jpg

Top shot of the bafs and some filter floss. Do you think I should keep this in full time or only when cleaning? You can see the 3 bafs were not cut to size so they are at a angle hehe

IMG_1869.jpg

And a shot of some of the rock in the fuge. No sand , reason I thought it would be easyer to clean out?

IMG_1873.jpg

Hope this helps??? The hole in the middle of the pic is where the monster crab lives I seen it today it got bigger...

avalanche1201

Im liking it alot, but I cant help but be drawn to the white egg crate overflow, it just stands out like crazy

Id suggest taking it out and spray painting it black using Krylon Fusion paint. Let it dry for a few days and stick it back in...or make another and put it in if u want it there while the other one dries....just my .02 but I really like it besides that

lil'wrasse cool
Im liking it alot, but I cant help but be drawn to the white egg crate overflow, it just stands out like crazy

Id suggest taking it out and spray painting it black using Krylon Fusion paint. Let it dry for a few days and stick it back in...or make another and put it in if u want it there while the other one dries....just my .02 but I really like it besides that

Its been gone for a week lol thanks though...I thought the same thing.... lol

lil'wrasse cool

judt a bump so I can find the thread laitah. Going to get a fishy today...I edit the post with pics.. oh also found more hitch hiker zoas. So like almost 20 of them lol

edit...could not find a fish so I got about 40 heads of multi coloured zoas to add to the 15-20 hitch hikers... I'll take a pic when they open up some...

lil'wrasse cool

Bump... Thinking of going fishless. what cha think..?Tanks so small anyway..

fishless what cha think? Tanks so small anyway... plus now I like Zoas so I can fill a tank fairly quick with thouse any way....

lil'wrasse cool

Well got the Zoa bug whent to 4 lfs today to try and find more of them. But could not find any I liked (in my price range) lol here is the one I got yesterday

Top down shot ewww,lol 3 dif colours yellow, orange, and green

IMG_1879.jpg

Of course I broke them up. Put some with the buttons and a 2 header I just placed in the rock work.

IMG_1877.jpg

Fuge light 9 watt cf from wal mart for $10

IMG_1882.jpg

And the zoomed in fts

IMG_1878.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
lil'wrasse cool
Lookin' great, lil' w c!

--Diane

Thanks I changed my mind on the Zoas placement I'm going to do the top shelf with colourful zoas. I found some nice ones for $10 I'm picking up Friday they look like these but more neon green about 25 heads.

This is just a pic of the new placement also looking of a nice green O brain to put in the right side the bay area thing between the rocks.

IMG_1884.jpg

lil'wrasse cool

Just got some antinics and a red banded gobie today... cant get a pic of the gobie yet but here is a pic with the antinics how did I live before??

IMG_1904.jpg

Also I'm getting more zoas tomorrow so I'll get some pics of them and the fishy

Nice setup I just increased my volume from a 5.5 to a 10 recently, and transfered it all over. I thought a lot about doing a false wall like this, but did not want to loose all the space that I had gotten the 10gal to gain. Although, I think I will end up doing a diy hang on the back or maybe buy a 2.5 gal to build a fuge. Anyway, I will be following your progress, and I will be sure to post a new thread with my 10gal so we can exchange ideas and comments.

lil'wrasse cool

Cool could use a 10gal support area lol...so far no algea probs a little here and there but nothing thats taking over...I've done nothing to curb it though... but its not growing out of control... Also I have not got a cuc yet... Trying to grow out the hitch hiker cuc.. but now that I got a fish and will be feeding the tank I'll add a couple hermits,snail, and a emril crab for the bubble algea...

I'll post more pics. when I get my new zoas dropped off...and if the gobie comes out to play today.... he sure is a shy guy....

Archived