Coral Vue Hydros

Nola's 10G Fusion - Nem Tank

Nola Bear

Gold torch you say?? I just picked one up for my fusion ten a few weeks ago. It is absolutely stunning and is certainly the showpiece in the tank. Its is a bit big though, with four heads.

Make sure you don't blast it with flow. I would love to see pics! Gold torches have been on my list for over three years, and I finally bit the bullet, best decision ever!

I keep my temp at a steady 78. I found my corals were happier there than any other temp. I would save your money and spend it on a nice digital heater. I use a Finnex 100watt but my room is also 60 degrees in the winter. However, it has a nice controller and in the three years of constant use it has really done well. Of course, if you don't mind spending more, people here love the neotherm heaters.

Thanks for the heater advice. i will def check out the finnex and neotherms. I think I might be dialing in on the marineland. I've logged the last 48 hrs, and I am staying within a 1* variant.

Pics of what I'm currently working with to follow :D

• Like 1

I really like NeoTherm heaters. They work. But I don't have a controller to log temperature so I don't know how precise they are,

Thanks. I've seen quite a few people on here that I respect have them. I'll definitely look at these, and keep the marineland for qt tank or backup

Picking up my clowns tomorrow for my daughter's christmas present. Can't wait. Paid for them two weeks ago. I have a fancy clown and a black, both juveniles (3/4 - 1"). Here's to hoping for a smooth acclimation.

Here's the dillema. I'm going to get these guys in and see how they do for a little while (at least a month), make sure the tank handles them well. But, I am thinking about the trifecta fish though. I am tossing it up between these four:

Court Jester Goby

Tail Spot Blenny

Green Clown Goby

Green Banded Goby

I think I already know Teeny's vote is the GBG. Any ideas or suggestions...?

PHOTO DUMP :happydance: (So I broke out the wife's fancy-schmancy camera tonight and went to town. I even got the thumbs up from her on some of the pics, so I've got that going for me)

_MG_2469_zpsdxek6ykk.jpg

_MG_2447_zpsgijqk8tx.jpg

_MG_2466_zpsjw0cp50f.jpg

Rics

_MG_2452_zpsidsyfwy9.jpg

_MG_2468_zpsijsuiayt.jpg

_MG_2470_zpseb1chvgg.jpg

_MG_2449_zpsewmh9zqu.jpg

Torches and Frogspawn

_MG_2462_zpsnf9axwmi.jpg

_MG_2454_zpsic5f4ee3.jpg

Acan

_MG_2461_zps1yf78fel.jpg

Elmo, Burton, Scarlett & Johann

_MG_2467_zpsoqotaquc.jpg

_MG_2464_zpswvuarnj3.jpg

_MG_2463_zpswzajqeou.jpg

_MG_2451_zpsdy2xmoi8.jpg

_MG_2465_zps6lrkuykn.jpg

Actinics

_MG_2477_zps3rcvvmlq.jpg

_MG_2476_zpsn10jcqci.jpg

_MG_2475_zpskxczggka.jpg

_MG_2474_zps1x9kqgrk.jpg

Latest FTS

_MG_2456_zpsnlh63yvx.jpg

• Like 7
Obsessed Reefer

Looking good!

+1 for a NeoTherm heater. Have one on my 20G, have never had any issues, had one on my 8G when I had it running, same thing, works flawlessly.

• Like 1

Nice pics!

I've got both the Finnex and the Neotherm, and they are both great. Although, I have noticed twice that the Neotherm didn't start back up after cycling the power, but that's after hundreds of on/off cycles changing water over the years. Nobody else has ever reported this so I think it's just something with my particular unit.

I personally prefer the Finnex. It's smaller overall (the Neotherm is thinner but much wider). It also has the temperature controller outside the tank, where you can see it and adjust it more easily.

• Like 2

Well it's Christmas Eve and I got the young clowns from the LFS. I will try to get a good pic tomorrow at some point. I got one black and one fancy. Both are very good looking I wasn't too keen on buying the black, but now I'm happy I did. At the very least it's very easy to tell them apart. They seem to be acclimating well. Defintely staying near the glass. Look forward to watching them explore the rocks and such. In due time....Definitely taking care of the copepod colony I had. Most importantly, I can't wait to see Nola wake up in the morning and go see her tank.

• Like 1

Your aquascaping looks great!

Thanks?. I'm a nut about moving things around though. Moved my largest torch up and am thinking about moving a shroom too. I'm glad I'm happy with the rocks though. Moving those would be a pita.

Awww, they look great! Merry Christmas!

Thanks teeny. We are going back and forth on names. My daughter's vote is two and four?

the other set of names is ting (black clown named after Jamaican soda) and tang ( for the fancy clown).

Ting, more commonly known as four, is definitely the dominant one. Better watch out because my favorite is definitely tang, more commonly known as two.?

• Like 2

Moved a few things, got a few things, have some zoas from zepo coming in the mail next week. plan to get a tailspot and a couple acans in february. Until then, I'm locking it down. My favorite new purchase is the plate. My green torch (first thing I bought for the tank) is getting massive.

c2cbf02e-12b7-4274-b8c5-f1d223675e60_zps

4babd75d-f900-4155-9c3a-50f7c8a4d9f5_zps

9a550985-038f-421e-9fac-534ec9a9fffd_zps

a1f73ec9-bdfd-4ed7-8066-270308415e09_zps

581e3ed6-2efb-4fe1-8a23-e3b50b270410_zps

bf391c50-73db-4be1-be92-eef89e278f9d_zps

_MG_2592_zpsntnq3vfw.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, everything looks really good - happy New Year!

Thanks! Now I need to work on my photos a bit. Have to find out how to get that purpling to go away. Some are certainly better than others. Its a canon 50d, I think, with way too many switches and nobs adn doodads. :unsure:

• Like 1

Thanks! Now I need to work on my photos a bit. Have to find out how to get that purpling to go away. Some are certainly better than others. Its a canon 50d, I think, with way too many switches and nobs adn doodads. :unsure:

I know how you feel. Fixing the white balance in pictures was a huge challenge for me in the beginning. Some ideas:

1. Temporarily increase the white lights just for pictures. That alone can make a huge difference because it only takes a little more white light to help the white balance sensor on the camera get it right.

2. Set up a custom white balance in the camera by taking a picture of the sand and using it as a reference picture for the custom white balance.

3. Take pictures in RAW and adjust the white balance in post processing using Lightroom or any one of several free picture editing software apps. Ultimately this is the best approach to getting really nice pictures because you can adjust everything to your liking from RAW. But it takes the longest to learn. But you will have mastered a new hobby in the process :D

• Like 1
reefernanoman

PHOTO DUMP :happydance: (So I broke out the wife's fancy-schmancy camera tonight and went to town. I even got the thumbs up from her on some of the pics, so I've got that going for me)

_MG_2469_zpsdxek6ykk.jpg

_MG_2447_zpsgijqk8tx.jpg

_MG_2466_zpsjw0cp50f.jpg

Rics

_MG_2452_zpsidsyfwy9.jpg

_MG_2468_zpsijsuiayt.jpg

_MG_2470_zpseb1chvgg.jpg

_MG_2449_zpsewmh9zqu.jpg

Torches and Frogspawn

_MG_2462_zpsnf9axwmi.jpg

_MG_2454_zpsic5f4ee3.jpg

Acan

_MG_2461_zps1yf78fel.jpg

Elmo, Burton, Scarlett & Johann

_MG_2467_zpsoqotaquc.jpg

_MG_2464_zpswvuarnj3.jpg

_MG_2463_zpswzajqeou.jpg

_MG_2451_zpsdy2xmoi8.jpg

_MG_2465_zps6lrkuykn.jpg

Actinics

_MG_2477_zps3rcvvmlq.jpg

_MG_2476_zpsn10jcqci.jpg

_MG_2475_zpskxczggka.jpg

_MG_2474_zps1x9kqgrk.jpg

Latest FTS

_MG_2456_zpsnlh63yvx.jpg

Nice! Nice pictures and progress.

• Like 1

Nice! Nice pictures and progress.

Thanks man. I'm looking forward to some new year videos from you :) Reefers like you give noobs like me something to aim for~

Really looking good.

You seem to have a good problem with all that purple in your tank! ;)

I wish I could say that the purple was all natural. I'm still dialing in this fancy camera that my wife has. To be honest, my coralline is just starting to purple. :)

• Like 2

_MG_2447_zpsgijqk8tx.jpg

So it's been a week now and these zoas :wub:​ , which are pretty awesome, decided to stretch out their necks and clam up a bit :blink: , but not completely. You can sort of see what I talking about in this pic below. This is when I first noticed it.

4babd75d-f900-4155-9c3a-50f7c8a4d9f5_zps

They were still popping out new babies, but clearly not happy. I've read that it could be lighting or flow, and really don't think it is that. So I pulled them and did a FW iodine dip. I did one drop of Lugol's to four cups. I've never done this before, and I hope that this helps. Any and all advice is welcome.

This is what they look like immediately after dip. Strange looking transparent bubble around the top?????

IMG_4285_zpsfe9pjblf.jpg

• Like 1

They look OK to me for a post dip picture.

In the FTS, it looks like they're reaching for light. Do you know your PAR, or how intense your lighting is?

• Like 1

I have a nanobox, only two channel (plan to upgrade to the four channel...)

Morning

blues 45

whites 30

Midday

blues 65

whites 45

Evening

blues 55

whites 15

Night

blues 0.2 for moonlight effect

• Like 1

You might try gradually ramping it up a bit. I was deliberately running mine dim to see if it helped with acan coloration (didn't work, btw), but I normally run mine at about 70% blues / 35% whites at peak. And I've been thinking about ramping it up a little bit more.

You've got mostly LPS which are happy with less light, so it's not that big a deal. But you might need to move those zoas higher to get more light. Whatever you do, if you change the light, do it really slowly, about 2-3% per week, and watch for any signs of stress, especially with the LPS that are high up.

Edit: PS: you're using the Bluefish controller, right?

• Like 1