Pod Your Reef

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks BRN, that is very helpful and I will definitely keep it in mind. With my NO3 and PO4 numbers going down with each WC now that I am using RO/DI, I don't think I will be dosing just yet. I need to see where it is all going to settle at first. I am nervous about starving my clam, corals and macros so I won't make too many changes at once.

Yea i wouldn't do anything to quickly, good call.

Great pics, great color. Red, pink, blue, a little orange. :)

I have a little tiny piece of rubble with about 4 little yellow polyps on it....if that would take off I'd have a splash of waving yellow on the lower right to add to the colors. And slowly the red from cyano on the sand is receding, yea!

I have a little tiny piece of rubble with about 4 little yellow polyps on it....if that would take off I'd have a splash of waving yellow on the lower right to add to the colors.

Super jelly of your horse aquarium, whats the smallest tank you can keep a horse? just curious.

Super jelly of your horse aquarium, whats the smallest tank you can keep a horse? just curious.

I think 29 or 30 gallons for a pair of the greater seahorses, that is at least 19" high is the standard recommendation. Seahorses are pretty high maintenance needing better water quality than most reef tanks in terms of dissolved organics and yet they are extremely dirty and put a heavy bioload on their tank. They are such charming sweet creatures though. They greet me every morning so I consider them worth the trouble.

I think 29 or 30 gallons for a pair of the greater seahorses, that is at least 19" high is the standard recommendation. Seahorses are pretty high maintenance needing better water quality than most reef tanks in terms of dissolved organics and yet they are extremely dirty and put a heavy bioload on their tank. They are such charming sweet creatures though. They greet me every morning so I consider them worth the trouble.

Awesome information didnt know the height standard, cool!

Love the newest photos. Everything is looking great! Nice to see some more photos of the pipefish too! They're fascinating creatures. Not quite as cute as seahorses, but still really interesting :)

Awesome information didnt know the height standard, cool!

The height is necessary for their courtship dance. Even same sexes dance. Also it aids in their digestion.

I am getting in the habit of connecting my portable RO/DI up after supper and letting it make water over night so I am ready for a WC first thing in the morning after the seahorses have had their breakfast. I had thought I would move the unit downstairs after our house guests leave but now I don't know. Using the kitchen sink at night isn't really all that bad and I don't have to lug the water up the basement steps. I was nervous about it running at night in the kitchen without supervision but no problems so far.

I had not seen the bridled goby in at least 2 weeks and was getting ready to post that I thought it was probably no more and then tonight when I dropped some spectra pellets in for the peppermint shrimp lo and behold there it was. It seems to look healthy. I should probably name it, what do you think?

I am getting in the habit of connecting my portable RO/DI up after supper and letting it make water over night so I am ready for a WC first thing in the morning after the seahorses have had their breakfast. I had thought I would move the unit downstairs after our house guests leave but now I don't know. Using the kitchen sink at night isn't really all that bad and I don't have to lug the water up the basement steps. I was nervous about it running at night in the kitchen without supervision but no problems so far.

This is your best friend if you ever worry about forgetting to turn off the RODI. I couldn't live without it :D

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reverse-osmosis-float-valve.html

This is your best friend if you ever worry about forgetting to turn off the RODI. I couldn't live without it :D

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reverse-osmosis-float-valve.html

Thanks teeny. I can't forget to turn it off as I never go without my morning coffee but I have to disconnect the RO/DI to make my coffee. If I set a unit up in our basement I will have a float switch on it however.

I had not seen the bridled goby in at least 2 weeks and was getting ready to post that I thought it was probably no more and then tonight when I dropped some spectra pellets in for the peppermint shrimp lo and behold there it was. It seems to look healthy. I should probably name it, what do you think?

Ok, I have decided, the goby's name is Gobbles.

That's a great name!

That name came to me when I saw him but I asked Dave, my husband what he thought would be a good name. Dave likes my tanks so I involve him in them whenever I can. He didn't seem to have any suggestions and Gobbles the goby just kind of rolls off the toungue.

One thing continues to puzzle me about my system...how can 2 tanks sharing a sump and water develop different tank conditions? Right now the cyano in the seahorse tank is gone but the sand in the reef tank still has a rust color on the surface. It actually looks more like diatoms than cyano. Both tanks should be equally experiencing the benefits of the RO/DI since they are hooked together, right? Maybe what is on the sand in the reef never was cyano to begin with? It is a much older sandbed and it's a DSB. I have been kicking around adding new argonite sand, sugar size on the surface for added buffering capacity. I guess I should try that and see what happens.

One thing continues to puzzle me about my system...how can 2 tanks sharing a sump and water develop different tank conditions? Right now the cyano in the seahorse tank is gone but the sand in the reef tank still has a rust color on the surface. It actually looks more like diatoms than cyano. Both tanks should be equally experiencing the benefits of the RO/DI since they are hooked together, right? Maybe what is on the sand in the reef never was cyano to begin with? It is a much older sandbed and it's a DSB. I have been kicking around adding new argonite sand, sugar size on the surface for added buffering capacity. I guess I should try that and see what happens.

Could be the biological diversity of the DSB, Anerobic bacteria play a larger role than I think we nano-reefers like to believe. Still in the opinion that everyone should have a 2" deep dead zone that goes untouched somewhere in the tank.

That being said it could just be the lighting/water movement is different or any host of other things. If you think about it the two tanks do share water but are in fact very different ecosystems.

Just spit-balling here.

Could be the biological diversity of the DSB, Anerobic bacteria play a larger role than I think we nano-reefers like to believe. Still in the opinion that everyone should have a 2" deep dead zone that goes untouched somewhere in the tank.

That being said it could just be the lighting/water movement is different or any host of other things. If you think about it the two tanks do share water but are in fact very different ecosystems.

Just spit-balling here.

I too believe that DSBs are beneficial if the hobbyist doesn't crap them up with overfeeding. Most of the tanks I took care of had DSB and everyone of them worked great the years I was servicing them.

Mine is really old. Foolishly I used the same sand as was in my 90g that I set up in 2004 but it smelled of fresh clean salt water. I know it had to re-establish in Dec 2012 when I downsized to my current reef tank but until the seahorses I had 0 nitrates, so i think it was working.

Both tanks have a 4 bulb Coralife T5 on them but you are right. The reef is considerably closer to the sand. I just measured it and there is 6" more height to the sandbed in the seahorse tank, therefore more diffusion of light by the time it hits the sandbed. Doh, I should have thought of that!

Probably feeding off of detritus in the sand rather than in the water column.

Considering the age of the DSB you may be right. Like I said to Pinner reef, the DSB I think was working before I got the seahorses. That's not to say that it is not working now but the bioload is much heavier now and may exceed the capacity of the the reef to keep up with the nitrates produced. Although my WC schedule seems to be helping a lot.

So if the cyano or whatever it is is feeding on detritus, I wonder if the detritus is only on the surface? I am hoping that is the case or I am in for a tank overhaul of the entire sandbed and don't relish the thoughts of that! I guess I will proceed with adding new sand to the surface and see if that helps. I know I should only do small portions at a time too so as to not disrupt the biological filtration.

I know I should fill up a pitcher with RO/DI for home consumption.

Pretty sure thats not good for you, read a few articles on that before.

Both tanks look awesome though :)

Archived