Top Shelf Aquatics

Surfer D's 5.5g 'I'm topless!'

lnglostsurfer

lnglostsurfer

Haha yeah, well I have about 10 hours of driving each way so I should have some extra time to catch up on things as long as the wifey helps drive. Best thing I've found is just taking the rock out and taking a lighter to them....never seen one come back. Luckily they are all out of my tank now. All I have going is my flatworms (since my stupid 6-line didn't eat them...or pods...or bristleworms...or really anything).

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lnglostsurfer

Nah, I'm going down to be in my best friends wedding. Ours is in September and I think we are hitting the Caribbean somewhere...possibly either mexico or costa rica....not completely planned out yet obviously lol

Sounds like fun, the water is soooo comfortable- none of that cringing as the water gets to certain private parts!

lnglostsurfer

Love the new puppy.. aussie? Tank looks great too!

Yep, I've had one in the past, they are amazing dogs as long as you can keep them active and entertained. She's doing so well with training. Had her potty trained within a week! About 4 1/2 months old now and we love every second with her, very compassionate puppy, just wants to be loved.....though it's the same story with our English Mastiff too lol.

Sounds like fun, the water is soooo comfortable- none of that cringing as the water gets to certain private parts!

Yeah, though living in Florida for as long as I have, I've gotten used to nice temperature water. The atlantic side can get a bit chilly in the winter but I have a few different wetsuits for surfing. I don't think the gulf ever got cold enough to need a wetsuit (though there wasn't any surf so never really a reason to go in the water when it was cold). Looking forward to exploring central america either way. Will probably end up in Playa del Carmen...across from cozumel. Gorgeous waters and plenty of local culture. I'm much more of a "lets see local culture and food and experience" and my fiance is more "lets do an all inclusive resort that we don't have to leave and drink and eat until we pass out everyday". Should be a good compromise.

Original plan was to try to go to either Thailand (we have friends living over there right now) or to Bali but I think both trips are going to be out of our price range with the cost of flights over there. Rather do something close and have more money to spend than go halfway around the world with nowhere to stay. If there's any world travelers out there, feel free to leave your input. Pretty much going for anything "tropical"

• 1 month later...
lnglostsurfer

So I guess it's about time for my monthly update again....haha. Tank is doing well, still no new additions. May pick up some goodies this afternoon from 1stimereefer though. I have the tiniest bit of hair algae that has been really annoying. Just can't seem to get rid of it and it only grows on my corals it seems. I've got some good growth going, my chalice is probably 3 inches across or more, my hammer is 4 heads, my green scripps from flcandy is almost 3 inches long and encrusted the base about the size of a quarter. I'm going to try to get some pictures this evening after I get the frags in the tank. Might actually try to keep this thread updated again!

lnglostsurfer

So I took a quick cell phone shot to show the growth of the monti

When I got it:

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20130925_140347_271.jpg.html'>IMG_20130925_140347_271.jpg

How it is now, encrusted the plug, putty, and now encrusting the rock as well

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20140525_135905_924.jpg.html'>IMG_20140525_135905_924.jpg

Was originally supposed to be a plating monti from the guy I bought it from but it's done nothing but encrust. Can a plating coral turn into a crusting one in lower flow or anything?

lnglostsurfer

And here's the hammer. I actually didn't get a lot of growth out of this because for about a month, whenever I switched tanks a year ago, it was completely closed up and I thought it was going to die. Gradually starting to grow more and more

IMG_20131006_120947_492.jpg

IMG_20140525_130305_517.jpg

The two heads in the back have completely split but the two heads in the front are still just barely connected.

Again, I'll get the real camera out this evening to play around with again.

lnglostsurfer

So I didn't get a chance to get the real camera out, but I did pick up a few things from 1stimereefer this afternoon. Got a crazy awesome looking mushroom, a nice cluster of zoas, a chunk of glass to use as a lid, and a couple of Albert Thiel's daphbio pills to try out. So far the mushroom is already looking as good as it did in her tank, a few zoas have opened up but still waiting on the rest of them.

Not a very good picture but gives you an idea

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20140525_193011_500-1.jpg.html'>IMG_20140525_193011_500-1.jpg

FlowerMama

Looking good- I can't believe that encrusting monti- I've never seen that . That's crazy. The superman rhodactis mushroom will eat- When they get a piece of food, it lifts up it's sides like a cup.

004_zps962ea064.jpg

I got mine in May 2013, early August it was starting to split and at first was scary cuz I thought it was rotting or damaged.

009_zps795ef4c4.jpg

004_zpsbc8ed4d6.jpg

End result after 2 wks- then I put 2 in my 34, they split, there are now 2 on the rock and 3 more in the fuge. The shroom that keeps giving and giving!

016_zps31fb8958.jpg

lnglostsurfer

Wow, hope I have as much luck as you did Annette! Another quick update though, got a few frags from Flcandy yesterday...a couple zoas, a tiny green acro, and this crazy colored cyphastrea(?) it's lavender with green polyps but the flesh morphs to a crazy green color also. She said she thinks its' a Jason Fox or Tyree or something. Awesome deal! (Plus she said I helped her out clearing some space on her frag rack). All of them are doing marvelously, as well as the mushroom and zoas I got from Annette. I've been using Albert Thiel's daphbio pills (powder) and have been getting great response from the corals. I also picked up some phosguard to see if I can't resolve this little hair algae issue. And I swapped out my preset tetra heater (that's been going good for 3 years for me) for the heater I use for my mixing bucket, which is an adjustable top-fin pro something or other. Decided to bring the tank temperature from the 77º that it typically sits at to about 80º to try to increase the metabolism of everything in the tank and get some more growth.

On the bright side of everything, now that my tank is looking more full, I think I have the fiance convinced to let me start up a bigger tank!!! Looking at stands for 20 long tanks right now. Seems like a good sized tank that I'll be able to have some freedom with. Any recommendations on a good stand? I want to build my own but this has to be presentable to be in the living room, so I will probably just buy one. Would like an enclosed bottom for storage (and possibly sump). I already have the lighting for it, I have two more par38's (although I'm guessing 2 would be enough, 3 would be overkill for a 30" tank). Let me know what you guys think! Trying to get by mostly with what I have.

FlowerMama

Hey, didn't know if you're going w/ a lid or not on the 20 but I have the lid I didn't end up using on my mantis tank.

Glad it's all working out well for you.

lnglostsurfer

I think I'm going to go rimless on a 20L. Leave the top open. As for the lights I think I'm going to buy a shelf to hang above the tank and suspend two fixtures down like I have now. Try to make things look as sexy as possible for being out in the living room. It's the only way she will consider it haha. Only thing I have to decide is if I want to go with a sump or stick with the HOB filter. Not sure if I want to spend the extra dough on the equipment....because as of now all I have to purchase will be the tank, the stand, and a few pieces of live rock. Already have the filter to use, as well as the koralia pump, the heater, and my current rock. Oh and I'd have to buy sand but that's not a big issue. All in all I could have the tank set up for under $200. And I think I could transfer things over and have very little (if any) cycle.

lnglostsurfer

Yeah, we'll see though, it's still not a for sure thing. Even though I've had a plan for it for almost a year now...was just waiting to move into the house. Which we did.....8 months ago! Oh well, we'll see what happens.

In talking with her while she's at work she's like "well, if you get a bigger tank, I know you're going to want to buy more stuff to put in it." And I said "duh, that's the point" (don't think that was the best thing I could have said...)

lnglostsurfer

Yeah, the only issue with that is I want an enclosed cabinet style stand. Gotta be able to hide all of the spare parts and whatnot. If I don't keep things nice and tidy there's not a chance of this tank happening. I do have a place I could put it on now, a really sturdy bookshelf that I've already tested the weight for...about the right height too but I would have to relocate a few other things. And there's a window right next to it which kind of sucks....but it doesn't really get any direct light so I dunno. Other than that our living room is already kind of crowded...

FlowerMama

ha, forgot you needed it enclosed. You might just check between Petsmart and Petco since they both have black and brown furniture style stands.

lnglostsurfer

I'm starting to think the tank might not happen...for awhile at least. Have some more major convincing to do. However, I think my next project is going to be starting to get rid of the sandbed slowly with each water change. It's been in there a year and a half now since I set this bad boy up and I know tanks this small typically only last about a year because the sandbed can just turn foul. Just want to try to get this taken care of before it causes any issues. I know I can siphon the sand out, but what's going to be the best way to put new sand into an established tank this small?

FlowerMama

Shoot, have her come here and see how beautiful aquariums can be in a living room. Hey, do you think it's good enough for the middle section of my sump to be filled up only halfway w/ rock? As yet I don't know how high the water's going to be in that section.

lnglostsurfer

Yeah, it really seems like your sump on this tank is to keep the equipment out of the tank and have a little extra rock for bio filtration. I don't see an issue. Do your baffles not regulate the height of water in your middle section? I don't remember that very well. I think I'm just sticking to my 5.5 for now, there's going to be a new project on the way. Details later!

lnglostsurfer

So, here is the newest money pit. I think it's the only thing that could have kept me from wanting to spend the money on a new tank:

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20140514_101723_688.jpg.html'>IMG_20140514_101723_688.jpg

Fully street legal and registered, already running with all electronics working beautifully. Little body work and a quick paint job and this thing will be a blast! Already been driving it around the mountains up by the in-laws place in Franklin. Can't wait to get it registered and on the road! Heading that way tomorrow to do a bit of work on it.

lnglostsurfer

Haha really? That's the ugliest part. The guy that had it before literally cut the front off and bolted in a piece of plywood to mount the headlights. The overall look isn't bad but I'm going to completely refab that part. I feel like this should be in the DIY section lol.

I'm hoping this weekend I can put the new trans-axle in as well as get the body prepped for paint and maybe shoot a coat of primer on it.

As far as the tank goes, I woke up to a giant string of eggs on the glass, probably 5 inches long. Guessing it's my Florida Ceriths.

Archived