SaltCritters.com

Jgpico's 30 gal nuvo. New fts pg. 48

jgpico

Great tank I can't wait to see this tank wet!

Any ideas on stocking yet?

I have a lot of plans in my head as far as stocking goes. To be honest I have never had a tank big enough for fish that swim around in the water column so that's the hardest part for me. I can't decide what kinds of fish I want. It will be a mixed reef so obviously reef safe fish. I really want some kind of wrasse as well as some other active fish. A twin spot Blenny or Midas Blenny would be cool. There are so many options that its drivin me insane.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really want to keep some unusual things in this tank if I can get my hands on some stuff that I want. Does anyone know where I can get an imperial shrimp? That is one thing that is first on my list.

JG! Found your new tank thread finally.

The set up you have is great, I am really looking forward to seeing it get wet at some point. Understand your thinking on the stand ... I am sure the 38 stand will be fine for this - maybe ask IM to see how it would look?

Did you decide on a dosing pump yet? If not I would consider Marine Magic - awesome price and from what I read great value. Maybe not as high quality as some but decent.

*subscribed*

It's been a while since I've posted on this thread so here it is. I have decided to scratch the plans to make my own stand. I don't have the time or the skills to build a stand worthy of this tank. I have been thinking about getting the stand made for this tank or maybe even the stand made for the 38 gallon nuvo. Does anyone see any issues that could arise if I get the stand for the larger tank? I think the only difference is the one for the 38 is wider. Othe than that I need to work on some scapes and get a couple more pieces of equipment and then we will be in business.

I won't blame you if you don't read any of this since its stupid long lol.

I'd go with the biggest stand you can get. You'll have more room underneath and a place to put your beer right next to the tank! :)

JG! Found your new tank thread finally.

The set up you have is great, I am really looking forward to seeing it get wet at some point. Understand your thinking on the stand ... I am sure the 38 stand will be fine for this - maybe ask IM to see how it would look?

Did you decide on a dosing pump yet? If not I would consider Marine Magic - awesome price and from what I read great value. Maybe not as high quality as some but decent.

*subscribed*

Awesome to have you on board for my slow build lol. I think I have decided to go with the reef angel dosing pump because it is a good price for a double doser. My buddy has been using it with his tank for a couple months and he has been very happy with it. I will definitely take a look at the pump you recommended though. I was actually going to send IM an email about using the 38 stand for the 30. I would love to have a little extra room for all my crap!

I'd go with the biggest stand you can get. You'll have more room underneath and a place to put your beer right next to the tank! :)

It's funny that you say that because that was the first thing that came to my mind when I was thinking of going with the bigger stand. BEER!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to put together my fish list for this tank and wanted everyone's opinions. I am definitely doing a wrasse, but not sure which wrasse I should do. What wrasse do you guys think I should go for?

I just heard back from IM about the 38 gallon tank stand and they said it will work perfectly for the 30 gallon tank. I am going to be picking up the stand from my lfs in the next couple of days. Once I have the stand this build should start to move a lot faster. I think I got my wife excited to get the tank running as well since my son loves to sit and look at my 3 gallon. She agreed that once the 30 is up and we have some active fish in the tank that it will be enjoyable for all three of us.

I am also going to be ordering my avast ato today. Escited to be making progress on this build!

Just my luck....The avast ATO is on back order...

justclownin'

Hi- was reading through your posts. We have the IM 38g and love it! We've got a FULLY stocked tank- and we know, we get scolded every time. Not sure if you got your stand, but our came completely destroyed in shipping. It was total junk. Be careful of getting it wet- the pressboard will warp and split.

We bought one from our LFS- solid wood and unfinished. Stained it black and built a bottom and shelf. I'll post a few pics. We don't run any sump, just the stock filters; but we do add Chemi- Pure elite and a phosphate filter bag. These tanks fight nitrates all the time, just because they are small and if you have any kind of stock, they usually are present. Several LFS stores here don't worry about readings, they just judge by the health of the tank. I know, rebels. Invest in a magnet for cleaning the glass- we scrub ours almost every other day. We have a 150W heater in ours as well to maintain the 78 degrees.

We've had lots of help from some others that also have IM38g, and Steve from IM is a great help.

The stock lights that came with the tank are awesome.

Simply put, we are new to salt water- our first tank was the IM 8g; but it was too small. Sold it and upgraded to the 38; which is all the room we have for a tank now. It's been running great for 7 months.

As I said, it's fully stocked- 2 small clowns, 2 firefish, 1 bangaii cardinal, 1 sixline wrasse, 1 yellow wrasse, cleaner shrimp and assorted snails/hermits. Oh, and a small emerald crab. Told you- FULL!

The list of corals is too large to list- but our maxi mini carpets are our favorite. Frogspawn and Hammer corals are growing like weeds! The only thing we have trouble with is our zoas- they don't want to grow.

I know we are rank newbies; but we love to try new things and this is a great and rewarding challenge!

post-73385-1349753761_thumb.jpg

Oh no!!!! bummer on the back order. And, you already know my vote on which wrasse to get ;)

I think I might be going with your pick for wrasses gena. I absolutely love the eyes on those things!

I just ordered the avast ato, I didnt order it yesterday when I saw it was on backorder because I was going to weigh my other options. I decided to still go with the avast just because of all the good things I have heard about it. Hopefully it gets here by the time we get the tank set up.

Hi- was reading through your posts. We have the IM 38g and love it! We've got a FULLY stocked tank- and we know, we get scolded every time. Not sure if you got your stand, but our came completely destroyed in shipping. It was total junk. Be careful of getting it wet- the pressboard will warp and split.

We bought one from our LFS- solid wood and unfinished. Stained it black and built a bottom and shelf. I'll post a few pics. We don't run any sump, just the stock filters; but we do add Chemi- Pure elite and a phosphate filter bag. These tanks fight nitrates all the time, just because they are small and if you have any kind of stock, they usually are present. Several LFS stores here don't worry about readings, they just judge by the health of the tank. I know, rebels. Invest in a magnet for cleaning the glass- we scrub ours almost every other day. We have a 150W heater in ours as well to maintain the 78 degrees.

We've had lots of help from some others that also have IM38g, and Steve from IM is a great help.

The stock lights that came with the tank are awesome.

Simply put, we are new to salt water- our first tank was the IM 8g; but it was too small. Sold it and upgraded to the 38; which is all the room we have for a tank now. It's been running great for 7 months.

As I said, it's fully stocked- 2 small clowns, 2 firefish, 1 bangaii cardinal, 1 sixline wrasse, 1 yellow wrasse, cleaner shrimp and assorted snails/hermits. Oh, and a small emerald crab. Told you- FULL!

The list of corals is too large to list- but our maxi mini carpets are our favorite. Frogspawn and Hammer corals are growing like weeds! The only thing we have trouble with is our zoas- they don't want to grow.

I know we are rank newbies; but we love to try new things and this is a great and rewarding challenge!

Thanks for letting me know about the issues you had with the tank stand. I think I am going to still give it a try and see how it goes. I have had very good luck with stands I have purchased in the past so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I think I am going to reinforce the stand either way, It's always good to be safe than sorry. You have an awesome looking tank btw. I can't wait to have my tank stocked!

What do you love about them? I kind of like the pink lined wrasse as well

same.

so do do you have your mind set on the 115 skimmer or do you think youre gonna wanna upgrade? cus the tunzee 9002 is leaps and bounds better. i could never get my 115 to stop releasing micro bubbles. the 9002 that i have now is amazing. the skimmate that i get is like tar lol

I think I might be going with your pick for wrasses gena. I absolutely love the eyes on those things!

I just ordered the avast ato, I didnt order it yesterday when I saw it was on backorder because I was going to weigh my other options. I decided to still go with the avast just because of all the good things I have heard about it. Hopefully it gets here by the time we get the tank set up.

You'll be very happy if you get one. Mine has really started to color up beautifully. I love the orange eyes!!!!!

same.

so do do you have your mind set on the 115 skimmer or do you think youre gonna wanna upgrade? cus the tunzee 9002 is leaps and bounds better. i could never get my 115 to stop releasing micro bubbles. the 9002 that i have now is amazing. the skimmate that i get is like tar lol

The only reason I was going I use the 115 was because I have ha it laying in my pile of fish stuff for about a year an has never even touched water. I didn't pay anything for it so it was just an option. I was actually going to look into the IM skimmer and I have kept my options open. Ill definitely take a look at the tunze.

The only reason I was going I use the 115 was because I have ha it laying in my pile of fish stuff for about a year an has never even touched water. I didn't pay anything for it so it was just an option. I was actually going to look into the IM skimmer and I have kept my options open. Ill definitely take a look at the tunze.

sounds like a plan.

hows the stand coming btw?

sounds like a plan.

hows the stand coming btw?

I actually just went and bought the stand for the 38 gallon nuvo. I didn't have the time or skills to build a stand lol.

haha thats cool man. i didnt build mine all by myself. cant wait to see pics of the tank on the stand.

Ok so I had planned to put the stand together and get the tank on the stand and mess with some scapes and then I put in Prometheus and that whole plan went down the drain. Luckily I have tomorrow off too so stand will be build and tank will be placed on the stand. I won't promise I will come up with a scape since I have already said that and failed multiple times. Stay tuned folks lol

haha nice, o how plans change when you have kids :P

Definitely the truth. I was surprised that we got through the whole movie. That hasn't happened in a while. I was excited to get home with the stand and throw it right together and then my attention was caught by something else. Like a dog with a squirrel lol.

Archived