inTank Media Baskets

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

No, no one uses pennies any more. They are probably made out of 8 track tape casettes now anyway.

Fully with you. Wonder whether there is any copper in them at all

Of course there are newer treatment methods nowadays

Albert

Hi Albert. I have a question regarding a setup im planning on doing. The common sump setup has the pump in the sump or near it externaly. I have a biocube 29 and removed the back plastic wall. I plan to make a herbie overflow and was thinking about placing the return pump at the bottom of the overflow (not 100% but now leaning on a quiet one 4000) and plumb the intake to a bulkhead, down to the sump (w/a check valve).

Do you see any issues with this type of setup?

The return water will be split up between 4-6 outlets.

My goal is to eliminate the extra koralias/power heads etc.

Thank you

• Like 1
albertthiel

Hi Albert. I have a question regarding a setup im planning on doing. The common sump setup has the pump in the sump or near it externaly. I have a biocube 29 and removed the back plastic wall. I plan to make a herbie overflow and was thinking about placing the return pump at the bottom of the overflow (not 100% but now leaning on a quiet one 4000) and plumb the intake to a bulkhead, down to the sump (w/a check valve).

Do you see any issues with this type of setup?

The return water will be split up between 4-6 outlets.

My goal is to eliminate the extra koralias/power heads etc.

Thank you

Can you post a drawing maybe of how to you plan to set this up as from the description I have a difficult time visualizing exactly what it is you want to do ..

Thanks

Albert

Can you post a drawing maybe of how to you plan to set this up as from the description I have a difficult time visualizing exactly what it is you want to do ..

Thanks

Albert

Here goes a couple drawings

biocube%201.jpg

BIOCUBE%202.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

Let me try to understand this .....

I have a Doctor's appt so I may not get back to you till this evening ... sorry

Albert

I don't understand that drawing either.

I haven't seen my male arrow crab in a few days so I know he is under a rock someplace growing a new shell as he must have shed.

I also noticed 4 or 5 places on one of my yellow wrasses where he had some parasites on his tail. I view this as a good thing because I want parasites in my tank and because I never quarantined, and I collect mud, amphipods and water from the sea, I would be very surprised if there were no parasites.

The parasites on that particular fish are no longer there. The fishes immune system more than likely either killed the parasites or the parasites completed their cycle and fell off. Either way, the fishes immune system was enhanced as it is in nature because all wild fish are exposed to parasites continuously during their lifetimes. Parasites are natural and they evolved right alongside fish. If wild fish never encountered parasites, they would have no natural defense against them. But they do. Of course if we deny them the presence of parasites for a long time. (I am not sure how long) they will lose that immunity and be susceptible to them if they are encountered. That is why if we quarantine, we must be very careful never to add any parasites as those fish will have no immunity and will most likely die.

Here is something I just found on the web about this. I deleted a lot of the information that was irrelevant to our hobby.

Journal of ISSN: 2378-3184JAMB

Aquaculture & Marine Biology

Volume 3 Issue 1 - 2015

Parasites as Health Indicators in Wild Fish Populations

Gonzalo Illán*

Independent Aquaculture Consultant, Spain

Received:October 24, 2015| Published: October 29, 2015

*Corresponding author: Gonzalo Illán, Independent Aquaculture Consultant, El Chopo 26, apt. 109, 40196 La Lastrilla, Segovia , Spain, Tel: +34610425220; Email: gonzaloillan@hotmail.com

Citation: Illán G (2015) Ciguatera, an Emerging Human Poisoning in Europe. J Aquac Mar Biol 3(1): 00055.DOI: 10.15406/jamb.2015.03.00055

Abstract

Here, we present you another opinion, based on the conclusions of some researchers, about a new role for the fish parasite communities, this time as helpers and indicators of the health status of the wild fish populations and the whole aquatic ecosystem.

Keywords: Parasites; Fish populations; Mortalities; Health indicators; Water quality

Introduction

Parasites play a key role in natural ecosystems, mainly considering that their life cycles are developed among different hosts, either vertebrates or invertebrates. Hence they play an important role on the ecological balance of the aquatic ecosystems, sometimes acting as a control mechanism of the size of wild fish populations. Whether we see them or not, in natural populations of animals and plants, parasites are always present, normally under a complex and dynamic balance within the populations of living things.

Conclusion

Under normal circumstances, fish, the apex of most aquatic trophic chains, are always infected by a considerable number of parasites. However, there may occur a slight change within the environment, of natural or anthropic origin, the scenario may change in a very significant way, affecting the parasite-host balance and thus leading to an epizootic situation where one or more types of parasites can thrive. This situation may last for long depending on how affected has been the balance and the health status of the fish population. Even though the original situation may come back to normal eventually, and a new balance can be established again, these populations can lose a part of their members during the disease outbreak [2].

As expected, the human intervention on the fish habitat usually makes things worse. Its being observed that some hydraulic modifications have caused a negative effect on the hydrological, physicochemical and biological parameters of the water, leading to the impoverishing of the fragmented habitat and the life conditions for the fish populations

2015-05-152004.53.30_zpsen3kkko5.jpg

• Like 2

No worries Albert, enjoy.

I don't understand that drawing either.

Hi Paul. I added the direction of the flow, does this help?

The water level of the overflow will be about 1" from the top, 98% of the overflow will be submerged.

BIOCUBE%202_zps5mceqxtw.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

Albert,

Are you familiar with using probiotic bacteria to treat cynobacteria in our reef tanks?

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/treat-aquarium-algae/treating-cyanobacteria

I have always agreed with Paul B on gut bacteria for healthy immune systems in fish and coral. I am beginning to believe that bacteria in general are the most important component in our Eco systems.

Yes but apparently with moderate results only as far as I have read

Albert

No worries Albert, enjoy.

Hi Paul. I added the direction of the flow, does this help?

The water level of the overflow will be about 1" from the top, 98% of the overflow will be submerged.

BIOCUBE%202_zps5mceqxtw.jpg

Should work IMO ... what is the red pipe ? the downflow ?

Albert

Should work IMO ... what is the red pipe ? the downflow ?

Albert

Yes, the red lines will be a Herbie Overflow to reduce the water noise.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Yes, the red lines will be a Herbie Overflow to reduce the water noise.

Ok I see as I said that should work

Albert

StinkyBunny

I will be out in my boat and hope to do some collecting (and partying) Where are you going?

Usually LaGuardia.

I picked up a Fluval Edge tank. I'm going to order a small retrofit from Dave and go for broke. We got a tiny mantis in that rock shipment. Just for scale, that's one of the Lee small catch cups. That shrimp is all of 3/4", 1.5cm for those on the metric system

19NHql6.jpg

JksB5KE.jpg

I remember back about 1988 or so I set up a 10 gallon and put a few pieces of rock in it. I mean Lee Eng did it, so could I. It worked pretty good. Much to the chagrin of the naysayers, my little nano tank did well with neon gobies, pipefish, mushrooms and my ever present bubble coral.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Usually LaGuardia.

I picked up a Fluval Edge tank. I'm going to order a small retrofit from Dave and go for broke. We got a tiny mantis in that rock shipment. Just for scale, that's one of the Lee small catch cups. That shrimp is all of 3/4", 1.5cm for those on the metric system

19NHql6.jpg

JksB5KE.jpg

I remember back about 1988 or so I set up a 10 gallon and put a few pieces of rock in it. I mean Lee Eng did it, so could I. It worked pretty good. Much to the chagrin of the naysayers, my little nano tank did well with neon gobies, pipefish, mushrooms and my ever present bubble coral.

Agreed whenever one tries something new and out of the norm the nay Sayers are indeed very quick to tell you that what you are doing is going to fail.

And then when you succeed they keep silent ...

Albert

i got a question i run a full on nano reef in a ten gallon with a skimmer rated for a 60-80 gallon tank and want to add a few fish in you mind what is the best fish for this tank

• Like 1
albertthiel

i got a question i run a full on nano reef in a ten gallon with a skimmer rated for a 60-80 gallon tank and want to add a few fish in you mind what is the best fish for this tank

Small fish only for that tank .... nothing large and make sure they are compatible with each other so there is not fighting between fish going on

Albert

would a Atlantic Pygmy/Cherub Angelfish work as I have always wanted one but always thought they needed a bigger tank or what would you get thanks bandit

• Like 1
albertthiel

would a Atlantic Pygmy/Cherub Angelfish work as I have always wanted one but always thought they needed a bigger tank or what would you get thanks bandit

Not a good choice. Need a larger tank 30 gals min

Sorry

Also in a smaller tank they can become bullies. Go for Gobies and small ones like them. Eg a Citron Goby

Albert

StinkyBunny

I'm gonna go with Albert on this, they need room in a tank. Any of the Cherubs do, Atlantic, Fireball or Flameback.

If you're looking for a good fish in there, any of the gobies, watchman gobies and their shrimps are perfect for small tanks. remember to brace the rock directly on the bottom so their digging doesn't cause a collapse.

• Like 1
albertthiel

I'm gonna go with Albert on this, they need room in a tank. Any of the Cherubs do, Atlantic, Fireball or Flameback.

If you're looking for a good fish in there, any of the gobies, watchman gobies and their shrimps are perfect for small tanks. remember to brace the rock directly on the bottom so their digging doesn't cause a collapse.

Some Blennies would be OK as well IMO and perhaps a any other small non aggressive fish

Albert

Purple Firefish spawning? A couple of weeks back one of my two Purple Firefish disappeared. I thought it had gone to the great reef in the sky, then a few days later it reappeared and took up it;s usual station with the other as right as rain. I went away for a few days last week and came back on Sunday, no sign of one of them again. Then I spotted it under a rock in a slight hollow in the sand with it;s head poking out on Monday afternoon. Today it is back swimming around with the other. I think I can safely say I have a spawning pair.

20160430_211330_zpszbxdqx7k.jpg

• Like 1