Coral Vue Hydros

Lion's Coral Den! Kessil, Rics, Zoas, Palys!

buddythelion

buddythelion

Finally got a Tiger Lilly Paly through a trade. Man. It's B-I-G.

TigerLilly.jpg

Hoping that it'll color up like the photos online one day.

TigerLilliesWEBSITE.jpg

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
buddythelion
That BTA is money.

For $50, it was a steal.

Ooooooooo... Tiger lily paly PRETTY!!! :D

Yush, so pretty! One of my fav corals atm.

Oh wow...I'll have to add a tiger lily paly to my paly collection!!!!! That is awesome!!!!!

Go for it! It's an awesome coral. Hard to come by though.

Alright, more pics and a YOUTUBE VIDEEOOO!!!

Here's Captain Jack Sparrow, the one legged clownfish! (aka Peanut)

IMG_7504CR2.jpg

IMG_7494CR2.jpg

IMG_7491CR2.jpg

And here's a video of the tank with a new aquascape!

Click the video and watch in 720.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RX19MOzo0g

That's a 12g tank!?

It looks HUGE!!

And super pretty. I must get video of mine soon again.

Did you see my pygmy wrasse?

L

buddythelion

Yup, saw the pygmy wrasse! Looks like a very interesting fish. If only I didn't have 5 fish already... haha.

I was supposed to meet with someone at 6:30 to sell some coral, but I didn't wake up from a nap until now because I didn't see if he replied if he could make it. He told me he was waiting there for an hour. I feel really really terrible. I'm upgrading his frag to a mini colony and throwing in another zoa as well, I hope that would make things some what right...

buddythelion

Wow, what a great day for corals! Super happy day, haha.

So the guy I was supposed to meet, I gave him tons of corals for $20 so I'm happy now and he's happy too.

But today:

Was supposed to check out Aquatic Collection, a store about 1-2 hours away with a friend but my friend was swamped with other things, leaving me with nothing to do all day. So I went to Neptunes, my trusty LFS, and just hanged out there for fun. Ended up leaving with two SPS. Going to be my first real attempt to keep SPS now so I started with some choice pieces recommended from my friends at tunes:

Sunset Milli:

Pic with phone:

20120505_190230.jpg

Pic with Canon:

IMG_7519CR2.jpg

And now my fav SPS, Tenuis:

Phone:

20120505_190223.jpg

Canon:

IMG_7518CR2.jpg

The tenuis is green with blue tips. Was afraid of getting it since I heard acros are picky, but they guys working there kept saying it's the best one for the price. So I grabbed it and the milli. For $18, a great price for both pieces.

And thought I was done with corals for the day, but I sent an email out to someone on craigslist and I find out it's Sustainable Reefs, another LFS that's in San Jose as well. Been meaning to check the store out for over a year, but never had an excuse to. But he offered a $10 frag of miami hurricane chalice, so there's my excuse!

Get in there. WOW. I've been missing out. Will, the owner, is a great guy. I got 5 polyps of Blue Hornets, 3 eye frag of miami hurricane chalice, 3 head rasta acan, and 2 polyps of oxide zoas for $80!

The cheapest I've seen the hornets are $15 a head, and the rastas he was gnna sell for $45 a head later. I was supposed to pay $80 for the chalice, hornet, and acan, but he threw in the oxides just because I was eyeing them for so long. He has a few more things I'd like also, so I'm going to go back and trade a few things with him. The store's unique because everything is mostly grown from trades with other reefers or ORA or Sustainable Aquatics etc, meaning everything has a high chance of survival. Prices are great too, local hobbyist prices!

Here are the hornets:

IMG_7520CR2.jpg

The other pieces were too hard to photograph and the rasta acan I got for cheaps because it's bleached out. But I can't wait for it to color back up like his mother colony. Going to be a fav piece for sure.

Here's a FTS. Not happy with the ricordea and SPS on the sand, but they need to adjust to the new lights:

IMG_7521CR2.jpg

I just sold $300 worth of livestock the past 1-2 months, and I STILL lack room! Aagghhh... And the stuff I have I want to keep! The pains of the nano...

Yay! Buddy! That was a very good story time, full of pretty corals & good deals.

I like the hornets. :D

L

buddythelion
Yay! Buddy! That was a very good story time, full of pretty corals & good deals.

I like the hornets. :D

L

I like them too, and thanks for reading my long story. It was a very good day that started off as uneventful. :)

buddy,

Where did you get that green BTA from? So nice!

Swing by Dolphin Pet Village, they got 50+ of them from all sizes. $50 no matter what size, but only in the buckets. You'll see when you get there. Call to be sure they got nice sized ones in the black buckets though. I was there when they had them for only 4 days. It was from someone that broke down his tank and had tons of Dolphin's signature BTA splitting so he sold them to the store. So you know it's captive grown/ aquacultured = good to go!

Mikerowave

I love it! I love your fish! Your BTA is awesome, too! But I really love how gorgeous and active your clowns are! BTW, I'm 7Defcon on youtube. I subscribed! :D

Your aquarium is looking fresh. I'm digging you Darth Maul Micromussa? Where you get them? Neptunes? School is kicking my @$$, soI can meet you up before school 11am or after 7pm for the blasto. I also swung by sustainable reef after reading your post. I also got some oxides , blue hornets, and miami hurricane chalice and some ked reds for 75 bucks.

buddythelion
Your aquarium is looking fresh. I'm digging you Darth Maul Micromussa? Where you get them? Neptunes? School is kicking my @$$, soI can meet you up before school 11am or after 7pm for the blasto. I also swung by sustainable reef after reading your post. I also got some oxides , blue hornets, and miami hurricane chalice and some ked reds for 75 bucks.

Man, I hope you mentioned that you went there because of me to Will! Cool guy huh? Did you get the last hornet frag? And yeah, micros are from Neptunes. I actually was walking around looking for something special for about an hour there and then it just happened that I walked by and noticed them after walking around that area for about 40 minutes. Mine wasn't fully healed, so it was considered a head and a half so I didn't have to pay much for mine. It's now 5 heads and a few babies. One of my favorite corals in the tank, and it's got aqua colored feeding tentacles too.

buddythelion
I love it! I love your fish! Your BTA is awesome, too! But I really love how gorgeous and active your clowns are! BTW, I'm 7Defcon on youtube. I subscribed! :D

Dude... where have you been?! MIA for some time. Any updates on your tank? Btw, we're no longer tailspot brothers. Got a Tiger Blenny now. But it's okay, tailspot's in the 400 gallon now.

Love your tank! everything flows so well and looks great! Great Video too (subscribed!) :lol:

Thanks! I'm actually low on space. Hoping to be able to go SPS soon.

Mikerowave
Dude... where have you been?! MIA for some time. Any updates on your tank? Btw, we're no longer tailspot brothers. Got a Tiger Blenny now. But it's okay, tailspot's in the 400 gallon now.

Ahh!!! I know! I've been MIA for a while. I've been so busy. Now that work has calmed down a bit, I can play with some saltwater again. I just got my Ridge 24 from PicOAquariums so I'll have to make a topic for that one once I get it up and running. Right now I have everything transferred into my garage. I might end up turning my NC12 into a QT or might sell it.

Funny story... For the past 4 months. I tried seeing if my tank would crash or if it would get consumed by algae if I didn't do any maintenance. All I had was the chaeto, the live rocks+sand, purigen, and chemi-pure elite that were already in there. It lasted maybe 8 weeks until algae started forming in disgusting sizes (keep in mind I had 2 emerald crabs, 2 hermits, 4 snails, and 1 TSBlenny still inside). At the 12 week mark I started getting Cyano and coraline was growing everywhere Including glass walls. At the 14 week mark, the algae seemed to start receding. Just recently I moved them temporarily into the garage in a clean 10 gallon. lol But anyways, throughout the whole 4+ months, I didn't feed at all and everything was thriving. The TSB was always fat and plumped, too! Sea life is amazing!

buddythelion
Ahh!!! I know! I've been MIA for a while. I've been so busy. Now that work has calmed down a bit, I can play with some saltwater again. I just got my Ridge 24 from PicOAquariums so I'll have to make a topic for that one once I get it up and running. Right now I have everything transferred into my garage. I might end up turning my NC12 into a QT or might sell it.

Funny story... For the past 4 months. I tried seeing if my tank would crash or if it would get consumed by algae if I didn't do any maintenance. All I had was the chaeto, the live rocks+sand, purigen, and chemi-pure elite that were already in there. It lasted maybe 8 weeks until algae started forming in disgusting sizes (keep in mind I had 2 emerald crabs, 2 hermits, 4 snails, and 1 TSBlenny still inside). At the 12 week mark I started getting Cyano and coraline was growing everywhere Including glass walls. At the 14 week mark, the algae seemed to start receding. Just recently I moved them temporarily into the garage in a clean 10 gallon. lol But anyways, throughout the whole 4+ months, I didn't feed at all and everything was thriving. The TSB was always fat and plumped, too! Sea life is amazing!

Ridge! NICE!!! Can't wait to watch that thread, be sure to post the link here when you set it up.

That TSB... invincible! Suprised you even left him in there for 4+ months. Should have offered him a home!

That being said, this tank is running out of room fast. I think it's time for an upgrade, but I'm going to be picky with it. I want an AIO and rimless. Solana and the Ecoxotic tanks look nice!

Mikerowave
Ridge! NICE!!! Can't wait to watch that thread, be sure to post the link here when you set it up.

That TSB... invincible! Suprised you even left him in there for 4+ months. Should have offered him a home!

That being said, this tank is running out of room fast. I think it's time for an upgrade, but I'm going to be picky with it. I want an AIO and rimless. Solana and the Ecoxotic tanks look nice!

Yeah the TSB has had an abundance of green algae to eat! I like him too much and I want him in my next tank so I couldn't give him away. Haha. But yeah, weird thing is that the green hair algae is starting to recede. So weird!

Ecopicos are kind of small, but they are gorgeous tanks! Go for a Solana! those are nice!

buddythelion
Yeah the TSB has had an abundance of green algae to eat! I like him too much and I want him in my next tank so I couldn't give him away. Haha. But yeah, weird thing is that the green hair algae is starting to recede. So weird!

Ecopicos are kind of small, but they are gorgeous tanks! Go for a Solana! those are nice!

Was the tank on at least, like moving water? Ecoxotic are supposed to have had a 25 gallon tank before, but I don't know anyone selling them anymore along with the Solanas. I want to get a custom made AIO from picoaquariums, but I'm already afraid of how it would cost to make a 30 gallon tank... I want it to be AIO so idk how he'd make it that large as well. I'm thinking of just being cheap and going for one of those Biocube 28/29 on Craigslist. They're only 200-300 vs 400 for a new one.

Anywho, new pick ups! They're gorgeous! Fragged a few pieces last night to try to make up for the cost. But they were worth every penny. :)

IMG_7660CR2.jpg

No idea what these are yet. They remind me Poinsettia Palys, but their skirt isn't red. Will have to do some researching but for now I'm calling them a Poinsettia morph.

I bought these... only to realize I already had them. They were just smaller in the store (polyp size) than the ones I had in my tank. LOL. But still, they were very nice. Cost a pretty penny too.

IMG_7659CR2.jpg

Here are my other bloodhunters. Started off as two:

Bloodhunters.jpg

This is fast becoming my favorite nano tank here. One of the ones that makes me smile whenever I see it. :D

Yay, Buddy!

PS: my elegance killed my Pygmy wrasse. It kept getting stung. Looks like it'll be a clownfish for my Biocube.

L

Mikerowave

Yeah. Pumps were on. Chaeto was lit. Skimmer was on. Wow!!! I love the new additions!!! How do you not run out or space! Haha! What is the 2nd picture of? Zoas with the orange ring.

buddythelion
This is fast becoming my favorite nano tank here. One of the ones that makes me smile whenever I see it. :D

Yay, Buddy!

PS: my elegance killed my Pygmy wrasse. It kept getting stung. Looks like it'll be a clownfish for my Biocube.

L

Thanks again! :lol:

Fish really don't like your tank huh? :( Get a clown! Picassos are my favorite because each one is unique. It's so fun to watch them grow up form wee little 1.5" and they have tons of personality. My 2nd favorite fish of all time.

Yeah. Pumps were on. Chaeto was lit. Skimmer was on. Wow!!! I love the new additions!!! How do you not run out or space! Haha! What is the 2nd picture of? Zoas with the orange ring.

I actually am running out of space... that's why I want an upgrade. LOL. Thinking of a Cadlights 39 Signature series. But I don't want the light, going to ask if they can sell without it. The red stand that you can buy with it is also just gorgeous!

2nd picture are called Spiderman Zoas. They're more of a microzoa. The orange is a very metallic orange with a nice blue center.

buddythelion

Not my nano, but I was SUPER excited to get this fish.

Crosshatch Triggerfish:

My all time favorite fish ever. We had one before but my younger cousin was hitting the tank and the crosshatch got scared and rammed himself into the rocks and the wall head first. Internal bleeding, and died a few days later. Was very sad to see him go.

A year later someone I bought equipment from on craigslist was selling his crosshatch, which he wouldn't sell to me at first. But it couldn't compete with the other tankmates, which were angelfish 2x his size! We drove an hour to get him day of. He's really skinny right now but it out and about like a champ.

Here he is and as always, be sure to watch in HD!

Crosshatch Feeding, 1st Day

Archived