1893 replies to this topic

Alkamist

Alkamist

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,004 posts
  • Joined 11 Jul 2010
  • Goleta, CA

anyone have there lights go into thunderstorm at night?

mpsti05

mpsti05

Life Begins @ 28+psi

• Members
  • 1,917 posts
  • Joined 10 Dec 2008
  • Chicago

anyone have there lights go into thunderstorm at night?

Lol yea. Once at 4am... My tank is in the living room but you could see the bright flashes from it with the bedroom door opened. Woke my gf up and then she wakes me up.. Of course i think its funny, she didnt :lol:
1heartsti.jpg
My custom 30x20x16 radion powered mp10x2 reef
PicO Aquariums Club

Big enough to scare me LOL. It was more the unknown of whether or not it was the "big one". Longest one I've felt so far!

Flexin5

Flexin5

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • Joined 15 Sep 2011
  • Toronto,Ont Canada

Lol yea. Once at 4am... My tank is in the living room but you could see the bright flashes from it with the bedroom door opened. Woke my gf up and then she wakes me up.. Of course i think its funny, she didnt :lol:

lol mine goes off at 4am alot too. i fell asleep on the sofa one night and thought it was a real thunderstorm outside. :lol:

Posted Image

Alkamist

Alkamist

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,004 posts
  • Joined 11 Jul 2010
  • Goleta, CA

haha same thing happened to me this morning at 6:59 my gf socked me to wake me up and then complained about my stupid annoying lights lol, but the weird part was there was thunder too! then i remembered it was raining outside. Epic way to wake up

wyattroa

wyattroa

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Joined 13 Sep 2010
alright, I am kinda at ends right now and just not getting any growth. I am getting it from my zoa and blue mushroom, but not my sps. I just can't get my lighting correct. The lights are 10 inches off the water and the lights are set at 35%w/42%b/44%rb. When I had my lights at 55% I was killing the coral. My parameters are all great no swings in alk at all, all dosing is done via a doser. Just at a loss..Should I be picking up a par meter to see what my readings are so I know what is going on in the water light wise?

Alkamist

Alkamist

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,004 posts
  • Joined 11 Jul 2010
  • Goleta, CA

alright, I am kinda at ends right now and just not getting any growth. I am getting it from my zoa and blue mushroom, but not my sps. I just can't get my lighting correct. The lights are 10 inches off the water and the lights are set at 35%w/42%b/44%rb. When I had my lights at 55% I was killing the coral. My parameters are all great no swings in alk at all, all dosing is done via a doser. Just at a loss..Should I be picking up a par meter to see what my readings are so I know what is going on in the water light wise?

maybe there still adjusting, how long ago did you get the light? and how fast did you increase the % levels?

wyattroa

wyattroa

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Joined 13 Sep 2010

maybe there still adjusting, how long ago did you get the light? and how fast did you increase the % levels?

That might be it, I installed the lights in the beginning of jan..Set it at 25% then and have been working the lighting up since. Once I got to 55% or 60% things went bad so I backed it back down and that was about 2 weeks ago.
Robert

mobilesuit818

mobilesuit818

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 03 Apr 2012
Do we know when the Vegas is being released?

I dont want to bite the bullet for the Nano or Sol for my NC24..

Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Nano Reefer

• Banned by Moderators
  • 762 posts
  • Joined 17 Feb 2011
The date still isnt released, however, I bit the bullet and got the SOL blue, and will upgrade a few months or a year after the vega comes out, that way they may upgrade to V 1.2 due to something missed in testing, you never know. First year products always have more potential for bugs.

That being said, I made a cool hanging kit from home depot for 10$ it looks great, pics to come.

MY 55g SPS/LPS holding cell

http://www.nano-reef...s-holding-cell/

Alkamist

Alkamist

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,004 posts
  • Joined 11 Jul 2010
  • Goleta, CA

That might be it, I installed the lights in the beginning of jan..Set it at 25% then and have been working the lighting up since. Once I got to 55% or 60% things went bad so I backed it back down and that was about 2 weeks ago.
Robert

it sounds like the going over 55% is what did it, find the sweet spot and keep to that if nothing happens slowly raise it again.

wyattroa

wyattroa

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Joined 13 Sep 2010

it sounds like the going over 55% is what did it, find the sweet spot and keep to that if nothing happens slowly raise it again.

thats hat I am doing now, but before that I did not have growth. I lost my monti cap except for the outer latey and fragged it. The inside is all browned out and algae covered..I have it on the bottom of the tank just to see if it can recover.
Robert

twan

twan

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 979 posts
  • Joined 30 Jun 2006
  • NY/CT
Cleaned up my AI wires further by making the connector cord longer to route behind the wall and switching the controller cable to a 90deg end. I am always interested in other custom ways people mount their lights so I an excited to see more people's creative ideas.

Before:

Posted Image

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alkamist

Alkamist

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,004 posts
  • Joined 11 Jul 2010
  • Goleta, CA
Wow! twan that looks really clean, now time to get that controller mounted lol

Edited by Alkamist, 19 April 2012 - 05:08 PM.

aquariumpav

aquariumpav

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Joined 13 Mar 2012
hey - I just set up my sol blue over over my 29g biocube. I have it maybe 12" above the water can someone link me or quote settings so I could have it reef friendly.

Alkamist

Alkamist

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,004 posts
  • Joined 11 Jul 2010
  • Goleta, CA

hey - I just set up my sol blue over over my 29g biocube. I have it maybe 12" above the water can someone link me or quote settings so I could have it reef friendly.

dont go higher then 25%, i got mine 2 weeks ago and i am running them at

whites Blues Royal Blues

9am 5% 10% 10% 30min ramp
11am 10% 15% 15% 30min ramp
2pm 15% 20% 20% 30min ramp
3pm 20% 25% 25% 60min ramp
6pm 15% 20% 20% 30min ramp
8pm 10% 10% 10% 30min ramp
9pm 1% 2% 2% 30min ramp moonlight cycle

Thats how i was running them 2 weeks ago, but are you change from another light? or is this a new tank?

Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 08 Mar 2012
I'd like to Join

Posted Image

devilsadvocate

devilsadvocate

teen reefer

• Members
  • 3,618 posts
  • Joined 17 Nov 2011
  • Manassas Virginia
i have a question about this light, and instead of starting a new thread i came here :D
would i need 1 or 2 of these for a 40 breeder?

Alkamist

Alkamist

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,004 posts
  • Joined 11 Jul 2010
  • Goleta, CA

i have a question about this light, and instead of starting a new thread i came here :D

If you don't put any corals in the outer 3 inches you should be able to pull it off with 2 nanos, or too sols would work as well but a little more pricey

DreTheReefer

DreTheReefer

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • Joined 10 Jul 2009

I have 2 Sols on mine coverage is great. Tried one definitely not enough.

Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Nano Reefer

• Banned by Moderators
  • 762 posts
  • Joined 17 Feb 2011
My DIY hanging, cost me 10$ lol (2 eyebolts, black chain, ceiling light hangers and thats it)

MY 55g SPS/LPS holding cell

http://www.nano-reef...s-holding-cell/

basser1

basser1

Nano Reefer Old Fart

• Members
  • 5,119 posts
  • Joined 28 Jul 2006
  • So. Indiana
O.K. gang.....

This thread has been up for quite some time now and plenty enough time to get some honest opinions, not just on this fixture in particular, but LED's in general.

Are you happy with how your tank and specifically, your corals look? I'm really interested in hearing from you that keep SPS. I have also read on that "other reef" web-site where some are not pleased with the results of their Al Sol units, some even going back to what they used to have.

I will be going from MH to LED soon, so I would like to see some feed-back. And I know all about energy savings, heat issues, bulb changes, yadda.. yadda... yadda.

Thanks!
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

ermartin

ermartin

Reef NINJA

• Members
  • 923 posts
  • Joined 04 Dec 2002
  • Northern Califa's

O.K. gang.....

This thread has been up for quite some time now and plenty enough time to get some honest opinions, not just on this fixture in particular, but LED's in general.

Are you happy with how your tank and specifically, your corals look? I'm really interested in hearing from you that keep SPS. I have also read on that "other reef" web-site where some are not pleased with the results of their Al Sol units, some even going back to what they used to have.

I will be going from MH to LED soon, so I would like to see some feed-back. And I know all about energy savings, heat issues, bulb changes, yadda.. yadda... yadda.

Thanks!

I am pleased with LED as a whole but i will say as an owner of SOL,Kessil and Boost MU I am least pleased with the SOL
Gru: Hello, Fred. FYI. Your dog has been leaving little bombs in my yard, and I do not appreciate it.
Fred McDade: Oh you know dogs... they go where they want to go.
Gru: Unless they're dead.
[laughs]
Gru: Just kidding! Oh, though it is true.

brad908

brad908

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,104 posts
  • Joined 28 Mar 2011
  • The Bay
Ppl say energy savings with led, what do you save, 10 cents a month?

I noticed no difference in my electricity bills after putting up my tank (t5's)

Edited by brad908, 25 April 2012 - 02:09 PM.

Aqua Life Aquarium

Aqua Life Aquarium

Aqua Life Aquarium

• Sponsor
  • 237 posts
  • Joined 17 Jul 2009
  • Rocklin, CA
Just put 8 new Sol fixtures over our 300 display. We are very pleased with the color so far, can't wait to crank it up after everything is acclimated.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Aqua Life Aquarium, 25 April 2012 - 05:55 PM.

Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 08 Mar 2012
Below is my lighting schedule mimicked from someone over on RC . I have no coral yet just fish in a 29G biocube. My questions are should I cut the time back? and second is I was looking at Southflorida tron schedule and would like to have the numbers he's running but would like it to start sooner than 2pm any help or suggestions would be great thanks.

6 am 1/6/6 30m
8 am 3/8/8 30m
9 am 8/16/16 30m
10a 19/28/28 100m
1p 18/27/27 100m
5p 4/20/20 30m
7p 2/14/14 30m
9p 3/8/8 30m
12a 4/4/4 15m lunar on