Cultivated Reef

Paigee's 20L Extravaganza!

Paigee

Here are the boring pics of the rock cleaning!

The supplies...

IMG_0966.jpg

The rock

IMG_0967.jpg

Cool skeletons of stuff that used to live on the rock

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

Rock soup anyone?

IMG_0973.jpg

And last but not least, a scape I played with while I waited for water to boil!

IMG_0971.jpg

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice I like your particular picky selection of fish... most people will get whatever is easiest/available lol. Though with a firefish I think a screen top would be better in case they somehow manage to slip through the egg crate.

+1...if anything can slip through eggcrate, it's a firefish!!!!! They always find a way!!!!!

Those rocks had some awesome life on them. Just curious...did it stink (as in smell) to boil the rock?

Nice I like your particular picky selection of fish... most people will get whatever is easiest/available lol. Though with a firefish I think a screen top would be better in case they somehow manage to slip through the egg crate.

I didn't set out to get a "rare" fish, it just happened to be the one I got my heart set on! :P Haha it's only the pink streaked that is unusual, I'll still have my firefish and I'm thinking I'll go with a bangaii.

I know firefish are sneaky that's why I'm hesitant. Although Gilbert has been really good about jumping, in the last six months the only attempt his has made was when my boyfriend flailed doing something near the tank. Scared the bejesus out of him. Normally if he just gets spooked he darts into his hole. I'll ponder it.

+1...if anything can slip through eggcrate, it's a firefish!!!!! They always find a way!!!!!

Those rocks had some awesome life on them. Just curious...did it stink (as in smell) to boil the rock?

Firefish are sneaky little buggers! Although I have had the back inch and a half uncovered the entire time and he has not found that, so maybe I got a homebody fish? :P

And about the boiling, there was an aroma but it was not strong, and it did not last either. I wouldn't call it a stink, it smelled a little like cooking seafood, like clams.

It probably helps that the rock had been sitting for a few years drying, so everything on it was quite dead and decayed.

Firefish are sneaky little buggers! Although I have had the back inch and a half uncovered the entire time and he has not found that, so maybe I got a homebody fish? :P

And about the boiling, there was an aroma but it was not strong, and it did not last either. I wouldn't call it a stink, it smelled a little like cooking seafood, like clams.

It probably helps that the rock had been sitting for a few years drying, so everything on it was quite dead and decayed.

You may just have a homebody :)

I bet it helped a lot that your rock had been sitting a few years. I can't imagine what fresh rock boiled would smell like....eek! I imagine it would stink up the whole house :lol:

You may just have a homebody :)

I bet it helped a lot that your rock had been sitting a few years. I can't imagine what fresh rock boiled would smell like....eek! I imagine it would stink up the whole house :lol:

Blech yeah I think fresh live rock would be terrible.

----------

Another question for everyone about fish - what order should I add them in? Other than the obvious firefish first, I'm thinking that the pink streaked should go next, because I've read they are fairly timid. Then the bangaii? I've read they may be a little aggressive. If I were to decide to add another small fish down the road, such as a YCG or something, would that be a problem?

Thanks team!

LOL, Joel actually used the eggcrate for what it is intended!

haha I got a big piece of egg crate in the light section of Home Depot and have used it for a frag rack and filter racks in the back chambers.

I think you're more indecisive than me! :P

Those are some cool rock shapes. I'm excited.

If you can, add both the bangaii and wrasse at the same time. You're putting them in the 20 right? Or in the ten for now? People add two clowns at one time, so I don't see what the harm would be in adding two different fish at the same time.

If you can only do one at a time, I'd say the bangaii first. From what I've read, they seem to be more difficult to acclimate to a new tank.

haha I got a big piece of egg crate in the light section of Home Depot and have used it for a frag rack and filter racks in the back chambers.

I think you're more indecisive than me! :P

Those are some cool rock shapes. I'm excited.

Thanks :D I'm excited too. Term is almost over, that means new tank sooooon!!! I have a list of what I need to buy.. I get my tax cheque soon... You do the math!

If you can, add both the bangaii and wrasse at the same time. You're putting them in the 20 right? Or in the ten for now? People add two clowns at one time, so I don't see what the harm would be in adding two different fish at the same time.

If you can only do one at a time, I'd say the bangaii first. From what I've read, they seem to be more difficult to acclimate to a new tank.

Hmmm... Ok. I'm still waiting to hear back about the wrasse, but I won't have the 20 cycled for another month at least I would imagine. We'll see how long it takes, since I will be using dead rock but seeding with some live.. It will be an experiment. I might get impatient and go ahead with the bangaii first :P We'll see how long the wrasse takes though.

That's interesting what you said about acclimating, I always thought of bangaiis as fairly easy beginner fish.

Did a water change tonight, cleaned off my powerhead... It never ceases to amaze me how much crap builds up on there and suffocates the flow. Can't wait to get an HOB on the 20L that will suck up some of the detritus.

Bad news - the orange and purple zoas I have appear to be melting. Not really sure why, nothing else is suffering. I think they just never recovered from being upside down in the sand for a day or two. There are still a few polyps that are opening, although small, so I haven't chucked it yet, but it doesn't look too promising.

Exciting news - I finally got a full on view of the HH porcelain crab I have. It's way smaller than I thought, but its pinchers are pretty large. I couldn't get a pic cuz it was on the bottom of the rock next to the algae filled glass cuz the rock is too close to the glass to clean there :blush:

I also found a molt of a pincher, it's red/pink/orange with black tips. Not sure who it belongs too, since I've only put hermies in there. I know I have at least 2 HH crabs (some kind of rock crab and a porcelain) and 2 pistol shrimp, not sure which it goes with. Looks like the porcelain might have red or orange on it, so maybe it belongs to him.

Well if a few polyps are opening, it sounds like you haven't lost it all. You know, some things come back from the dead, so I would wait it out for a bit.

A HH porcelain? Sweet!

hmm mystery molt lol

Well if a few polyps are opening, it sounds like you haven't lost it all. You know, some things come back from the dead, so I would wait it out for a bit.

A HH porcelain? Sweet!

hmm mystery molt lol

Yesh indeed, I do believe it is a porcelain! It has the little fan bits, but I have never seen it in entirety so who knows.. But I'm 95% sure

Sounds like you got some awesome HH's! :lol: I can't wait to see what your refund buys!

I'm pretty stoked too :) I'm getting a fairly extensive list..

20L tank

AC110

New T5HO bulbs

Phosphate test kit

New powerhead (MP10?!)

New heater

Sand

Coral Rx...

Etc. :P

A HH porcelain crab is awesome! Is it the white or the green/brown kind?

I'm pretty sure it's the green/brown one. Definitely not white. It's pinchers look to be a different colour though.

Sounds like you got it all going on!

I've had some zoas look like they melted and wnet down to nubs, but came back. Hope yours do1

20L tank

AC110

New T5HO bulbs

Phosphate test kit

New powerhead (MP10?!)

New heater

Sand

Coral Rx..

I'm pretty sure it's the green/brown one. Definitely not white. It's pinchers look to be a different colour though.

Nice list :)

I wouldn't mind having a porcelain crab, but I think it's too big for my 12g. When I upgrade ;) Whenever that may be :)

The porcelain in mine is super tiny... its back is maybe half an inch, if that, across?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the zoas too! There are still a couple of pretty healthy polyps, when I do the upgrade I might frag those off and see if they do better by themselves.

The porcelain in mine is super tiny... its back is maybe half an inch, if that, across?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the zoas too! There are still a couple of pretty healthy polyps, when I do the upgrade I might frag those off and see if they do better by themselves.

Oh wow, that is tiny!!! I wouldn't mind adding a tiny one like that :)

Excellent news about the zoas. I hope they pull through!!!!!

Weeeee only one final and one paper left and I'm done my semester :happydance:

I plan on buying a ric to celebrate when it's over. Next Tuesday to be exact. Also going to convince my boyfriend that we should go to all you can eat sushi that is delicious.

Weeeee only one final and one paper left and I'm done my semester :happydance:

I plan on buying a ric to celebrate when it's over. Next Tuesday to be exact. Also going to convince my boyfriend that we should go to all you can eat sushi that is delicious.

Just one ric?

Just one ric?

Heh heh heh I see what you're trying to do here! I'm going to try do do just one. If I find something really awesome maybe a few other goodies. I'm trying to keep buying at a minimum until I have my new tank set up :)

Heh heh heh I see what you're trying to do here! I'm going to try do do just one. If I find something really awesome maybe a few other goodies. I'm trying to keep buying at a minimum until I have my new tank set up :)

I'll fed ex you over some rics! my friend who sells the frags has a bunch of them for $10 each. i'll trade ya for that rainbow monti! :lol:

can i ask you how much you paid for your firefish? the local big als has one, but they want $60 for it :huh:

I'll fed ex you over some rics! my friend who sells the frags has a bunch of them for $10 each. i'll trade ya for that rainbow monti! :lol:

can i ask you how much you paid for your firefish? the local big als has one, but they want $60 for it :huh:

Hahaha I'd love some rics, but you can't have my monti!! :D I got it for a steal at my LFS, I think I only paid $8 for it or something ridiculous.

That firefish sounds like a ripoff! I don't remember how much I got mine for, but I think it was around $25... Surely no more than $40 for sure though.

Are you in Canada or US?

Archived