Pod Your Reef

Paigee's 20L Extravaganza!

Paigee

great shots! I wish my i phone took em like that. Rainbow monti has it goin on!!!

Oh and nice kitty and purse!

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank looks GREAT! I don't know if you've seen my 10g tank thread that was raised from the dead by Jordan, but...I just realized how much your tank reminds me of my old 10g :happy:

Your cat is GORGEOUS!!!!!! And pretty pink wallet :) Just in time for spring :happy: I need a nice brightly colored wallet. Though I love mine....it's just brown.

Tank looks GREAT! I don't know if you've seen my 10g tank thread that was raised from the dead by Jordan, but...I just realized how much your tank reminds me of my old 10g :happy:

Your cat is GORGEOUS!!!!!! And pretty pink wallet :) Just in time for spring :happy: I need a nice brightly colored wallet. Though I love mine....it's just brown.

Thank you Gena :) I'm getting excited to upgrade this to the 20L though.

I think I've made the decision to use dry rock in the new tank. I'm starting to see aiptasia pop up on almost every rock, and possibly hydroids. I do not want to be battling headaches with the new tank.

I'm excited for your upgrade too :happy:

Dry rock is definitely the way I will always go. You miss out on neat hitchhikers...but to me the really neat HH's are the macros. You can buy those from places like reef cleaners, etc.

I used all dry rock but I still ended up with bryopsis. It came in with a frag. It wasn't visible on the frag either. Didn't start growing for a week or so after I put it in my tank. It was there...darn me for not dipping!!!!

bryanphillips

I really like your zoas, especially the unidentified bambam/fire&ice haha, do you plan on making a large island of them? Cant wait to see the new wrasse whenever you end up getting it! Oh and I skimmed the thread-mostly because I'm a like a lil kid who longs for pictures in a novel- so this may have been mentioned but what are you gona upgrade your lighting to for your 20?

I really like your zoas, especially the unidentified bambam/fire&ice haha, do you plan on making a large island of them? Cant wait to see the new wrasse whenever you end up getting it! Oh and I skimmed the thread-mostly because I'm a like a lil kid who longs for pictures in a novel- so this may have been mentioned but what are you gona upgrade your lighting to for your 20?

Thanks for checking the thread out :) For lighting, I plan on using my existing Boost lamps, and I have a 2 bulb Coralife t5ho fixture that I plan on using as well to brighten up some dark spots the lamps might miss. I think that should be sufficient for what I'm doing, if not, I might look into getting another LED lamp or something.

I'd also really like to get some moonlighting in there somehow, not sure how yet. Since I'll be using the Coralife fixture I could probably mount something on there.

Also thinking I might like an MP10 :ninja:

bryanphillips
Also thinking I might like an MP10 :ninja:

That lighting option would prob work out well especially if you split the tank into two islands or something where you could focus the majority of the LEDs on your pickier corals. I was considering a 20L but I know once I got it I would want a 40B haha so I've convinced myself that I may as well make my next tank somewhere closer to 300+gallons :P

And an MP10 is on my list too. I'm going to have to pull off that ninja deal to sneak it past my gf at $225 though :huh: First words out of her mouth will be... all it does is push water?? :mellow:

That lighting option would prob work out well especially if you split the tank into two islands or something where you could focus the majority of the LEDs on your pickier corals. I was considering a 20L but I know once I got it I would want a 40B haha so I've convinced myself that I may as well make my next tank somewhere closer to 300+gallons :P

And an MP10 is on my list too. I'm going to have to pull off that ninja deal to sneak it past my gf at $225 though :huh: First words out of her mouth will be... all it does is push water?? :mellow:

Haha well I wanted to do something a little bigger, but I'm kind of space confined, it has to fit on the width of the fireplace hearth at my boyfriend's house, so I went with a 20L. I have a standard 29G, but I feel like the height would be wasted, so went with the 20L cuz it has the same footprint.

I haven't really thought about any scapes yet, I have some old dry rock I bought with a bigger setup that I never put together. I like islands. I like some open space in the sand, maybe some scollys and a plate... I'm into minimalist.

I'm gonna put out some feelers on some local forums, see if I can snag a used MP10... Or maybe use some birthday money in August :)

Does anyone know a good method for cleaning old dry rock? I read somewhere about soaking it in some kind of acid, started with an L.... And then spraying the bejesus out of them.

First words out of her mouth will be... all it does is push water?? :mellow:

Next time she wants jewelry ask her, "all it does is sparkle?" Her face will be worth sleeping on couch. :lol:

Next time she wants jewelry ask her, "all it does is sparkle?" Her face will be worth sleeping on couch. :lol:

LOL you're bad :happy:

bryanphillips

:lol: +1

There's been a lot of movement towards that open look. I'm sure you have already seen Hypes multiple times as everyone has, love that look with the monti out in the open and lots of sand for fish to swim over. The taller tanks like the 29g would deff take away from that feeling so good choice with the 20L. I hate my 29g <_<

Are you running a 29g as well? I used it for a FW planted, but the plants grow tall and use that space. Plus you can get the top/middle/bottom dwellers more so for planted, so it's not wasted.

Does anyone know a good method for cleaning old dry rock? I read somewhere about soaking it in some kind of acid, started with an L.... And then spraying the bejesus out of them.

What to do soak them in Vinegar and RODI I think its a 1-10 ratio and let it sit overnight.

Then rinse thoroughly with RODI etc let soak in RODI only, for another day or 2 rinse and let dry in the sun.

Ready to go.

What to do soak them in Vinegar and RODI I think its a 1-10 ratio and let it sit overnight.

Then rinse thoroughly with RODI etc let soak in RODI only, for another day or 2 rinse and let dry in the sun.

Ready to go.

Thank you :) That sounds much more simple.

bryanphillips
Are you running a 29g as well? I used it for a FW planted, but the plants grow tall and use that space. Plus you can get the top/middle/bottom dwellers more so for planted, so it's not wasted.

Its a FOWLR so its not really as useful as length would be and its not aesthetically pleasing. I has definitely become the step child to my 10g, its looking a bit neglected ha If it was holding corals I assume thatd make the difference in my opinion ha

As a woman that loves diamonds/jewelry (though very rarely wears it, other than special occasions :lol:), I have to admit that an mp10 is way more useful and practical than jewelry :lol:

Hiya Paigee! Just read through your thread and it looks wonderful! Love Gilbert :flower: Corals and scape look awesome. Definitely going to follow this one. Oh and thank's for stopping by my thread earlier :)

Hi Paige,

What about Pink Streaked wrasses - they are awesome and do really well in groups.

Pygmys, and definitely one of my all time favorites...

A friend says they always look a bit cracked out... they are always fidgeting around, with these crazy orange eyes.

Same size as the wetmorellas (possoms) or a bit smaller, but heaps more character...

just my own humble opinion :)

As a woman that loves diamonds/jewelry (though very rarely wears it, other than special occasions :lol:), I have to admit that an mp10 is way more useful and practical than jewelry :lol:

Haha same! The only jewellery I wear all the time is my ring and my necklace... And I guess my nose stud and belly button ring would count too.

Hiya Paigee! Just read through your thread and it looks wonderful! Love Gilbert :flower: Corals and scape look awesome. Definitely going to follow this one. Oh and thank's for stopping by my thread earlier :)

Thanks for stopping in :) Hopefully the 20L will be just as nice!

Hi Paige,

What about Pink Streaked wrasses - they are awesome and do really well in groups.

Pygmys, and definitely one of my all time favorites...

A friend says they always look a bit cracked out... they are always fidgeting around, with these crazy orange eyes.

Same size as the wetmorellas (possoms) or a bit smaller, but heaps more character...

just my own humble opinion :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I just looked those up and they look great too! If my LFS doesn't pan out finding a Tanaka's, I'll definitely check into those! :)

Ooohhh....I just looked up the pink-streaked wrasse as well. It's on my mental list for future tanks. Those sound perfect!!!!!!

I agree! :) I will give it a bit for the Tanaka's... I'm not sure if I should email him periodically or if he will just get back to me if he ever finds one? I'll give it a few weeks and shoot him another email I guess.

Archived