Coral Vue Hydros

UNOFFICIAL SUN CORAL/DENDRO/RHYZO THREAD

abe

• 2 weeks later...

These are my sunny sun sun shines. I love them! Feed them daily and they are

open most of the time.

DSCN0916_zps64083971.jpg

DSCN0915_zpsef97fc79.jpg

Eww - excuse the line of icky stuff along my sand line and the streaks on the glass!!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

PEOPLE OF THE REEF, HEAR ME OUT

So, I'm sure you've all heard it at the LFS -- you should put your suns and dendros in a cave, or under a shady overhang.

WELL, as I'm sure you can image, those areas are usually hard to get to for direct feedings, and they don't get a lot of flow.

Sun corals and dendros LOVE HIGH FLOW. So I'm here to say, get those corals out of those sad places, and put them out in the open where a nice breeze can come through, and LET THE SUN SHINE IN

ih73ia.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
jazzman7838

Agreed, that is a load of bollocks. Tubs can be found in very shallow water in full equatorial sunlight.

you should put your suns and dendros in a cave, or under a shady overhang.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

thanks jedimasterben, the little crab looks like an acro crab but has pointy claws and two dots on its back. im pretty sure ive read pointy = bad and the dots are throwing up a red flag as well. pics to come.

Does anyone feed their suns/dendros pellets? I've noticed that mine will spit them out a few minutes after, if I try feeding them pellets

jedimasterben

I fed my black suns pellets all the time before dinos killed it. It would take as many as I would give it, as many times in a row as I would give it, I think one time I measured two tablespoons (!) in about an hour before it started spitting some back. I have no idea where it put all of it.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Hmmmmm maybe mine are just spoiled off the brine shrimp (aka potato chips :P )

You sure they're not spitting them out?

Nope, it never let them back out (or anything else) except for that time.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying for months to find a Dendro and finally got one on Friday (it really was Good Friday!!!)

I hope to find a pink one some day but I'm happy to have gotten this one. Hope my sun coral doesn't get polyp envy!

DSCN0932_zps2a3a85f0.jpg

DSCN0916_zps64083971.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of my favorite corals and I was able to find one at my LFS! Got a sun coral frag last week and finally got him to open to feed last night! Forgot to take a pic while feeding **DOH!** but here it is right before it opened up!

photo2-2.jpg

Ya, I moved it there and moved my powerhead to give it pretty good flow and it opened up really nice. The picture is kinda deceiving. That "cave" isn't very deep. Its more of an overhang. Forgot to take a picture though. I will see what it does over the next few days and will move it if it was a fluke opening. :)