4149945252_f6d8624449_b.jpg

CURRENT LIVESTOCK LIST

Fish

- Banggai Cardinalfish

- Ocellaris Clownfish

- Citrinis Clown Goby

- Purple Firefish Pair

- Starry Blenny

- Lyretail Anthias Trio (one male, two female)

- Mystery Wrasse

- Melanurus Wrasse

- Blue Spotted Jawfish

- Kole Tang

- Desjardini Sailfin Tang

- Ornate Chrismas Wrasse

Clean Up Crew

- Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

- Blood Red Fire Shrimp

- 4 Yellow Sea Cucumber

- 3 Emerald Crabs

- 3 Tonga Fighting Conch

- Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs

- Cerith Snails

- Astrea Snails

- Nassaius Snails

- Fuzzy Chiton

- Nerite Snails

- Berghia Nudibranchs

- Limpets

Inverts

- 2 Teardrop Maxima Clams

- French Polynesian Clam

- 9 Maxima Clams

- 2 Crocea Clams

- Sebae Anemone

- Fiery Orange Rock Flower Anemone

- Baby Bubble Tip Anemone Hitchhiker

SPS

- Purple Montipora Capricornis

- Tyree Flower Petal Montipora Capricornis

- Strawberry Field Montipora Capricornis

- Billy's Imperial Montipora Capricornis

- Furry Big Foot Montipora

- Radioactive Montipora Foliosa

- Superman Montipora

- ORA Red Planet Acropora

- Electric Blue Millepora

- Water Mellon Millepora

- Tricolor Acropora Valida

- ORA Borealis Acropora

- Tri-Color Prostrata Acropora

- Purple Bonsai Acropora

- Neon Green Caroliniana Acropora

- 30,000 Leagues Lokani Acropora

- 20,000 Leagues Lokani Acropora

- Tyree Pink Lemonade Acropora

- Reef Exotic Rainbow Acropora

- Vivid's Rainbow Delight Acropora

- Reverse Sunet Montipora Capricornis

LPS

- Open Brain Coral

- Branching green Hammer Coral with purple tips

- Branching green Frogspawn Coral with purple tips

- Branching orange Frogspawn Coral with pink tips

- Wall transparent neon green Frogspawn Coral

- Wall purple Anchor Coral

- Yellow Scroll Coral

- Neon Green Trumpet Coral

- Superman Chalice

- Bright red and green War Coral

- Dark Red and green War Coral

- Purple and Green Micromussa

- Pipe Organ Coral

- Red and green Blastomussa Wellsi

- Disco Fever Acan

- 4 unnamed Acans

Softies

- Purple Death Palythoas

- Spiderman Palythoas

- Mohawk Palythoas

- Magicians Palythoas

- BPE Palythoas

- African Blue Zoanthids

- Sweet Dreams Palythoas

- Lunar Eclipse Palythoas

- Flaming Mean Greens Zoanthids

- Superman Zoanthids

- Hot Flaming Redds Zoanthids

- Atomic Green Zoanthids

- Aqua Sunshine Zoanthids

- Sunny Sky Zoanthids

- 3 unnamed Zoanthids

- Lemon Meringue Ricordea

- Spring Rainbow Ricordea

- Fourth of July Ricordea

- Pacific Current Ricordea

- Midnight Orange Ricordea

- Limon Supernova Ricordea

- Ultra Toxic Ricordea

- Lemon Lime Ricordea

- Ocean Inside Sanctithomae Mushroom

- Superman Rhodactis Mushrooms

- Red and white spotted Mushrooms

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

START OF TANK BUILD

Hi guys. This is my first time posting such a thread. I have been lurking and posting occassionally for the past year or so. I currently have a 28g Nanocube HQI that has been up an running for more than a year. For some strange reason, I never took any pictures of that tank except for some random fish pictures. Anyway, I just bought a new 120g Oceanic Tech aquarium last April and this time made a conscious effort to take photos along the journey. I know it is not a nano but this site has been the main site I go to ever since starting this hobby so it is the place where I feel the most comfortable posting.

So here are some specs:

Current setup:

Tank: 120g Oceanic Tech, Starphire front glass, 48" w x 25" h x 24" d

Sump/Fuge: Custom built acrylic, 43" w x 18" h x 16" d

Return pump: Mag Drive 1200

Planned Equipment

Lights: 48" Coralife Aqualight Pro 2x250w HQI + 2x65w CF

Pumps: Ecotech Vortech mp40w (one for now, don't know if I need two)

Skimmer: ASM G-3

Chiller: JBJ Arctica Titanium Chiller DBM-250 1/3HP

Controller: Neptune Systems AquaController Apex System

Livestock

I will be moving all the fish and corals from my nano and putting it here.

My current fishes:

Banggai Cardinalfish

Ocellaris Clownfish

Citrinis Clown Goby

Purple Firefish

Fridmani Psuedochromis

Yasha Haze Goby with Pistol Shrimp

Starry Blenny

I'm still unsure of what other fishes I'll be putting in but I know I would like to get some Jawfishes, some Anthias, and a Sixline Wrasse.

This will be a mixed reef with mostly LPS and SPS. Not too much softies except for mushrooms and zoos.

On to some photos...

April 4 - Brought home and setup

3660304243_f4aacd3cf7_o.jpg

April 12 - Sump/Fuge arrived

3660304325_a7e9ee0984_o.jpg

3661103758_a899458a5b_o.jpg

April 16 - Plumbing finished

3660305277_ca11726350_o.jpg

3661104632_50e8cb7468_o.jpg

3661104712_ff3d353af6_o.jpg

April 16 - Leak test

3661103916_0574be33b7_o.jpg

April 24 - Mix the saltwater in the tank

3660304993_b4bcd3572f_o.jpg

May 4 - Finished drilling live rocks

3661104196_c09a2210db_o.jpg

3660305121_fd38289d65_o.jpg

3660305575_84965dfb14_o.jpg

June 2 - Cleaned out framing and added the finishing touches to make PVC structure blend in

3660306177_7f13b54792_o.jpg

June 25 - Add the deep sand bed

3662430174_1627832c1e_o.jpg

3661631489_eb235cf18a_o.jpg

3662430138_b5d21ce244_o.jpg

That's my progress so far. For those that do not know what I'm doing with the pvc, I am trying this "live framing" thing I read about in a magazine. I do not know if all my effort in doing this is going to pay off in the end but man it's alot of work. I am hoping for maintenance and fragging, this will really help me out alot. One thing I hate is mounting frags on the rock and everything comes crashing down and I have to spend hours trying to put everything back into place and I could never get it back the way it was previously. It is taking me way too long to get it done but since I decided to do it, I just have to keep at it.

I decided to add the deep sand bed in already so I can have it cycle while I finish the rest of the rock structures. I figured it would be easier to stick the pvc thru the sand than to get the sand in between the holes. I went with the deep sand bed because of the Jawfishes that I would like to get. I have the rocks currently in my refugium area. I will probably need more along the way. I will probably have a mini cycle every time I put a new structure in. I think it will be okay. I have not really had any ammonia spikes since the beginning. I have been keeping the rocks well watered while I drill.

Anyway, I am still fairly new in this hobby. I have learned quite alot from the past year I have had my nano. I have learned from reading on this site and the internet as well as books and I've also learned the hard way. I will be updating this as I progress and I would love to hear everyone's opinions and concerns especially if I am about to make a big mistake. I really want this to be set up properly from the beginning so that the rest of the way is just basic maintenance instead of dealing with problems that should not have happened because I did not do something the right way. So I will also be asking alot of questions.

That's it for now. Thanks for reading.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everybody.

I really like the live framing. DId you read about it in Marine Fish & Reef USA, also?

Yeah that's where I got the idea. I have been reading that article over and over before I got the tank. I tried looking for other articles about it online but nobody seems to be doing. It seemed so simple but once I started doing it, I never knew drilling live rock is so hard. I had to find so many different drill bits. I tried a 1" drill bit but it just tore the rock apart. I am left using my dremel to bore the holes for the pvc stick into. So it takes me a while to drill one hole. I may try other methods of attaching the pvc hooks to the rock, like zip ties. I already put together the pvc frame for the next structures. I'll take pics when I can.

Looks good.I hve been thinking my next tank may be a tech series also.I have always liked them.

Thank you. Yeah I wanted a bigger tank but decided to put it off until we get a bigger house. Then I saw the Tech and I just could not get over it and was convincing my wife until she broke down. I almost got a different tank cause I could have gotten it cheaper without the starphire glass but the place I got it from gave me a great deal on the Tech so I went for it. I got it for $1595 for tank and stand. I love the stand. I didn't think the doors on the side would be a big deal but man do I use it more than the front. I don't have a top off right now so I use the side door to top off until I get the Aquacontroller.

Your setup looks really nice so far. I know how hard it is taking the time and doing things just the way you want it. Good luck, and I cant wait to see all the rock in there!

nanoreefnate

WOW i like what youve done with your rockwork!

also like the tank in genereal...how much did that thing set you back (money wise)

highonfumes

That tank/stand combo is sexy! And your attention to detail is top notch. I'll be followin along for sure.

WOW i like what youve done with your rockwork!

also like the tank in genereal...how much did that thing set you back (money wise)

The tank and stand was around $1740 with tax and the custom sump/fuge was $480.

Thanks again everyone. I'm hoping to work more on the rocks today unless the wife comes up with something for us to do. :lol:

The tank and stand was around $1740 with tax and the custom sump/fuge was $480.

Thanks again everyone. I'm hoping to work more on the rocks today unless the wife comes up with something for us to do. :lol:

lol you and me the same i have mts, the tank looks sexy with the stand and everything. also hang the light fixture it will make it keep the sexy. also 1 mp40 is alot of power and since the tank isnt so long i think that will be all you need not sure if you will need a other one.

lol you and me the same i have mts, the tank looks sexy with the stand and everything. also hang the light fixture it will make it keep the sexy. also 1 mp40 is alot of power and since the tank isnt so long i think that will be all you need not sure if you will need a other one.

Thanks. Yeah I was thinking of hanging the lights. I told my wife that I wanted to do that and she rolled her eyes. :lol: I just hope I don't get too lazy and just mount it on top.

As for the mp40. I am hoping that all I need is one. My only concern is the sand. I got some bigger grain sand but they are currently under the finer live sand. I'm thinking that I probably have to dial the mp40 down a bit to prevent sand storms. I never tried the mp40 or seen it live in action before nor have I had experience with fine sand, just gravel sized substrate. So I will just have to try it out.

BTW, what is "mts"?

• 3 weeks later...

Well my recent updates has been lost so here it goes again.

I have since added a sun coral tank attached to this tank. I posted it here last time but I decided to put it in the nano section since it is really a nano and a separate entity.

Click here to see the addition of my Sun Coral Tank

As for the this tank...

July 9 - Purchased JBJ 1/3hp Artica Chiller and Coralife 48" Aqualight Pro 250W HQI

3718013090_2168ed4cd6_o.jpg

July 12 - Let there be light! Coralife 48" Aqualight Pro 250W HQI mounted

3718012936_afb84e0f4a_o.jpg

So far I am happy with the lights. It looks great. I love the moonlights. They are pretty bright. Then again there is nothing in my tank. I'm still working on the wife to let me have it hanging from the ceiling. She just does not get how it would look much better than with the mounting legs. The chiller is alot quiter than I had expected, which is great. So far I am pleased with my purchases.

I have not gotten a chance to work on my rocks. I really want to get that done real soon. I am working on getting the Vortech mp40 soon and hopefully the Aquacontroller Apex as well.

Well that's it for now.

Hi guys. This is my first time posting such a thread. I have been lurking and posting occassionally for the past year or so. I currently have a 28g Nanocube HQI that has been up an running for more than a year. For some strange reason, I never took any pictures of that tank except for some random fish pictures. Anyway, I just bought a new 120g Oceanic Tech aquarium last April and this time made a conscious effort to take photos along the journey. I know it is not a nano but this site has been the main site I go to ever since starting this hobby so it is the place where I feel the most comfortable posting.

So here are some specs:

Current setup:

Tank: 120g Oceanic Tech, Starphire front glass, 48" w x 25" h x 24" d

Sump/Fuge: Custom built acrylic, 43" w x 18" h x 16" d

Return pump: Mag Drive 1200

Planned Equipment

Lights: 48" Coralife Aqualight Pro 2x250w HQI + 2x65w CF

Pumps: Ecotech Vortech mp40w (one for now, don't know if I need two)

Skimmer: ASM G-3

Chiller: JBJ Arctica Titanium Chiller DBM-250 1/3HP

Controller: Neptune Systems AquaController Apex System

Livestock

I will be moving all the fish and corals from my nano and putting it here.

My current fishes:

Banggai Cardinalfish

Ocellaris Clownfish

Citrinis Clown Goby

Purple Firefish

Fridmani Psuedochromis

Yasha Haze Goby with Pistol Shrimp

Starry Blenny

I'm still unsure of what other fishes I'll be putting in but I know I would like to get some Jawfishes, some Anthias, and a Sixline Wrasse.

This will be a mixed reef with mostly LPS and SPS. Not too much softies except for mushrooms and zoos.

On to some photos...

April 4 - Brought home and setup

3660304243_f4aacd3cf7_o.jpg

April 12 - Sump/Fuge arrived

3660304325_a7e9ee0984_o.jpg

3661103758_a899458a5b_o.jpg

April 16 - Plumbing finished

3660305277_ca11726350_o.jpg

3661104632_50e8cb7468_o.jpg

3661104712_ff3d353af6_o.jpg

April 16 - Leak test

3661103916_0574be33b7_o.jpg

April 24 - Mix the saltwater in the tank

3660304993_b4bcd3572f_o.jpg

May 4 - Finished drilling live rocks

3661104196_c09a2210db_o.jpg

3660305121_fd38289d65_o.jpg

3660305575_84965dfb14_o.jpg

June 2 - Cleaned out framing and added the finishing touches to make PVC structure blend in

3660306177_7f13b54792_o.jpg

June 25 - Add the deep sand bed

3662430174_1627832c1e_o.jpg

3661631489_eb235cf18a_o.jpg

3662430138_b5d21ce244_o.jpg

That's my progress so far. For those that do not know what I'm doing with the pvc, I am trying this "live framing" thing I read about in a magazine. I do not know if all my effort in doing this is going to pay off in the end but man it's alot of work. I am hoping for maintenance and fragging, this will really help me out alot. One thing I hate is mounting frags on the rock and everything comes crashing down and I have to spend hours trying to put everything back into place and I could never get it back the way it was previously. It is taking me way too long to get it done but since I decided to do it, I just have to keep at it.

I decided to add the deep sand bed in already so I can have it cycle while I finish the rest of the rock structures. I figured it would be easier to stick the pvc thru the sand than to get the sand in between the holes. I went with the deep sand bed because of the Jawfishes that I would like to get. I have the rocks currently in my refugium area. I will probably need more along the way. I will probably have a mini cycle every time I put a new structure in. I think it will be okay. I have not really had any ammonia spikes since the beginning. I have been keeping the rocks well watered while I drill.

Anyway, I am still fairly new in this hobby. I have learned quite alot from the past year I have had my nano. I have learned from reading on this site and the internet as well as books and I've also learned the hard way. I will be updating this as I progress and I would love to hear everyone's opinions and concerns especially if I am about to make a big mistake. I really want this to be set up properly from the beginning so that the rest of the way is just basic maintenance instead of dealing with problems that should not have happened because I did not do something the right way. So I will also be asking alot of questions.

That's it for now. Thanks for reading.

Don't get a sixline it will kill your yasha goby (it kill mine). A $20 fish is not woth the death of a $50 or more (yasha goby). Nice rock structure, I spend 3 months building mine out of dry live rock and then cure them for another 3 months before putting them together and into my 90 gallon. The structure is very sturdy and you will never have a problem with the aquascape falling apart.

:o

This tank... and the SC nano connected, will be TOTM here one day!!! Mark my words!!!

Amazing!!!

If I ever finish the darn thing. :lol: It would be great and it's something I could definitely strive for but with so many awesome tanks around here I highly doubt it. Besides it's not a nano. Maybe the sun coral tank. Who knows. I'll do my best with the tanks atleast. All that matters is having a nice healthy tank that the family and I can enjoy.

Don't get a sixline it will kill your yasha goby (it kill mine). A $20 fish is not woth the death of a $50 or more (yasha goby). Nice rock structure, I spend 3 months building mine out of dry live rock and then cure them for another 3 months before putting them together and into my 90 gallon. The structure is very sturdy and you will never have a problem with the aquascape falling apart.

Is that really true? Did you add the sixline first? I will have to do more research on this. I have a Fridmani Pseudochromis and they get along fine. Are sixlines more aggressive? My Yasha is pretty bold. He's always out and about. He's one of my favorites so I definitely will think twice about the sixline if that is the case.

Very Nice looking setup, clean and professionally done.

Thank you.

BTW, just an update. I finally got around to working on the rocks. I have about 1/3 of the wall structure that I will be puting in front of the overflow box. I have been slowly working on it since yesterday. Boy is it alot of hard work planning and drilling. I'm getting there though.

Archived