Pod Your Reef

Guia X's Sun Coral Rimless Tank

guia x

Current Full Tank Shot - August 3, 2009

3786133415_15c614316a_b.jpg

Because of the crash, I lost all my updates to my 120g Oceanic tank regarding my recent additions. I figured since I don't have a nano tank build right now, my sun coral tank, which is pretty much a nano, deserves it's own thread and I should contribute it to the member's aquarium section since technically they are separate tanks, just tied to the same sump.

So here it goes...

Specs

Tank: Custom built rimless, 24" w x 9" h x 8" d

Sump/Fuge: Custom built acrylic, 43" w x 18" h x 16" d

Circulation Pump: Rio 400

Return Pump: Maxijet 1200

Current Livestock

1 - Orange Sun Coral

1 - Yellow Sun Coral

1 - Black Sun Coral

2 - Dendros

1 - Scarlet Reef Hermit

As I have mentioned, the tank will specifically be for sun corals, dendros, and possibly other azoo corals. Sun corals are my favorite and unfortunately they are one of the most demanding when it comes to feeding. I am hoping this tank will alleviate some of that. The tank is shallow so feeding will be much easier than on a bigger tank. I will not have any shrimps or fish in there to compete and steal food away from the corals. So not alot of time will be wasted fending them away.

On to some photos..

July 5 - Picked up the tank and brought home

3698383907_3b72e6cd52_o.jpg

3698383483_c32d8209b3_o.jpg

Opposite of the overflow is a drain. The idea is be able to feed tiny particle foods like cyclopeze, phlyto, etc. and let the food circulate and then drain it afterwards. I intend to feed ALOT. Hopefully it will have very little affect on the main tank. Well, that is why I got such a big sump/fuge. I am counting on it to help with the nitrates and phosphates. I will probably have to fool around with this and do lots of testing before finding what works and what does not.

The tank will be mounted on a shelf next to my 120g tank. The shelf is one of those floating ones but I added brackets at the bottom for added stability. I had to drill holes for the drains.

July 6 - Drilled shelf for drains

3699194602_6980bcea89_o.jpg

3699194396_431a905496_o.jpg

3699194496_1aaab59093_o.jpg

July 6 - Tank mounted and plumbed

3699194756_19b2c0dca9_o.jpg

Entire system

3698384055_f359d83950_o.jpg

July 8 - Corals moved in

3718013334_1edc0daa2a_o.jpg

Current Occupants

3718012528_c1e91fca94_o.jpg

3718012624_6b2cf3da16_o.jpg

3718013542_5057ec1e39_o.jpg

3718013426_e9c56f8139_o.jpg

July 9 - Live rock added and scaped

3718013186_3dcf211652_o.jpg

3718012752_7d378a4739_o.jpg

3718012866_7dd07eac29_o.jpg

I am not sure I am totally happy with the aquascaping yet. I may have to get a few more corals to see a better picture. Right now the corals are pretty unhealthy as they have been neglected for about 2 months as I have been too busy with the new tank and work. After the move, I am starting to see an improvement already. I have been feeding them daily a few times a day giving them mysis and brine shrimp as well as cyclopeze and coral food. I am just trying to get them responding again like they were before I started neglecting them. So far I am seeing alot of progress.

That is it for now. Next up, I will probably get some clean up crew to go along with Akuma, my Scarlet Reef Hermit. :)

Thanks for looking...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that is very nice and neat. If you get some more rock in there it would look awesome once the sun corals start dropping babies everywhere. It really does look incredibley nice next to the 120 like that. Very cooL!

Wow, that is very nice and neat. If you get some more rock in there it would look awesome once the sun corals start dropping babies everywhere. It really does look incredibley nice next to the 120 like that. Very cooL!

Thank you. My wife's still not over it yet. She said now the other side looks bare. I told her then we should put another tank one the other side. She wasn't too happy about that. Although I did make provisions to be able to add a tank on the other side as well. :lol:

I don't know if I'll add any more rocks but you never know. I'll wait and see after I add a few more corals. I'm thinking maybe a chili coral since I've always like those and my first one died from not getting enough food. This time I may have a better system to keep it alive.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

WOW... Simply amazing!!! :o

Thank you.

You should go all out. Balanophyllia, Ryhzo's, etc.

It looks amazing.

Don't add a hammer coral, if you ever feel so inclined. Just lost my sun coral colony to a mishap...

That is amazing. One of the sleekest set-ups I have ever seen! I can't get over how it looks like the tank is just floating against the wall lol. Get a pic with all of them open, I know it would be difficult but it would be awesome!

You should go all out. Balanophyllia, Ryhzo's, etc.

It looks amazing.

Don't add a hammer coral, if you ever feel so inclined. Just lost my sun coral colony to a mishap...

Thank you. A Rhyzo would be nice but I'm not prepared to spend about $400 on a piece of coral just yet. I have not come across a Balanophyllia nor do I know how much they go for but if it's cheaper than a Rhyzo, then I'll go for it. As for a hammer, I will have one in the big tank. My sun corals have been with it for more than a year in my 28g nanocube and nothing has ever happened to them. The sun coral tank will probably be without light, or a very low output light, so I will not have a hammer in there for sure.

That is amazing. One of the sleekest set-ups I have ever seen! I can't get over how it looks like the tank is just floating against the wall lol. Get a pic with all of them open, I know it would be difficult but it would be awesome!

Thank you. I wish I could have done it without the brackets but there is no way that shelf would hold up. They do sell these shelves made out of glass that is suppose to how 100lbs but I needed holes for the drains.

I will get some pics showing the corals progress. A fully open shot should not be a problem once I retrain them again. They are usually open fully and alot fatter before I neglected them. My only problem would be the black ones. They have never really fully opened but then I never really had a chance to fully train them. We'll see how it goes. So far training is going well. I'm sure within a few days they will all open at the slightest hint of food.

post-45620-1246550804_thumb.jpg

post-45620-1246550830_thumb.jpg

Update...

July 17 - New sun coral

3733656282_04dc81c138_o.jpg

I have not seen it open yet, so it will be like opening a present once I get it to open. It looks pretty healthy still so getting it to open should not take long. I went into the store looking for a chili coral, but they didn't have any and I just could not pass getting this sun coral.

Other Additions

7 - Cerith Snails

3 - Nerite Snails

7 - Dwarf Hermits from my nano added a couple days ago

Here's a update on my other two sun corals...

July 17 - Sun corals doing well

3732856243_dc3a423661_o.jpg

3733656482_9b6635795c_o.jpg

So they are both starting to look healthy again and feeding readily. The black ones are still not coming out. I may need to take extreme measures for that one. Both Dendros are doing great as well.

great looking setup. do you target feed each polyp, or just let the food circulate until the corals have fed?

also, there's a Balanophyllia here, along with a couple nice dendros elsewhere in diver's den.

sun corals are schweet. black ones are probably the sickest, I hope it makes it. I may have a perfect cave for a sun coral........

nice work

Thank you.

great looking setup. do you target feed each polyp, or just let the food circulate until the corals have fed?

also, there's a Balanophyllia here, along with a couple nice dendros elsewhere in diver's den.

Thank you. Right now I do a mixture of both. I circulate some cyclopeze until all the polyps are open. Then I feed each head. So far it's been working for all the corals except the black ones. I think I will start taking that one out and blast it until it starts opening.

Now why did you have to go show me that link. Oh man that looks wicked. I so want to get it but boy is it expensive. I don't even know much about them or seen them in person. Still that one piece just looks great. That coral will be in my dreams tonight. Thanks alot. Hehe.

this tank is so sick!

keep up the good work

Thank you.

sun corals are schweet. black ones are probably the sickest, I hope it makes it. I may have a perfect cave for a sun coral........

Yeah like it alot as well. Mine has green mouths and kinda has a greenish hue all over. The tentacles kinda have little white tips as well. I really need to get it back up to health. It will definitely need more attention than the others for sure. They say the black ones are harder to take care of.

Balanophyllia regularly sell on aquaticauction for about 40-50 bucks, though I hear they are more expensive through your average retailer. They look a lot like rhyzos if I recall correctly. Any way, sun coral and dendros are cool, I was just throwing out ideas.

Tank still looks fantastic.

that valve is freaking me out, is it going to go somewhere or...

I know EXACTLY what would happen if I had a big red valve like that at my house with my friends.

Ah, I love these wall-mounted tanks..... Makes me want to do one..

Yeah it does look nice. I just wish there was a way of doing without the brackets. That would make it look nicer.

oh like your design for your Sun

Thank you. It's not nearly as impressive as your tank. It's definitely one of my inspirations.

Balanophyllia regularly sell on aquaticauction for about 40-50 bucks, though I hear they are more expensive through your average retailer. They look a lot like rhyzos if I recall correctly. Any way, sun coral and dendros are cool, I was just throwing out ideas.

Tank still looks fantastic.

Thanks for letting me know about that. I'll keep checking them out. Thanks to jeremai, I can't keep that one from LiveAquaria out of my head. I wish I can see them in person. I can't picture out how big they are. Are they smaller than dendros?

that valve is freaking me out, is it going to go somewhere or...

I know EXACTLY what would happen if I had a big red valve like that at my house with my friends.

Now that you mention it, I do have a three year old son. So now I'm kinda worried about it.

beautiful setup! i love how it's just hanging on the wall beside display :)

Thank you.

Update...

July 19 - New additions

Dendrophyllia with 4 heads plus a couple babies

3743962278_97f3536bd2_o.jpg

For Psychosis...a Balanophyllia

3743170567_a721bd79ab_o.jpg

I got these at Vivid Aquariums on Sunday. Dendros was opened at the store and opened right away in my tank. Balanophyllia still have not opened fully but started opening last night. Other corals in the tank are doing great. The black sun corals are starting to come around. I am still having a hard time getting it to accept brine shrimp or mysis but I think my cyclopeze feedings in a separate bowl are starting to work.

Damn, this tank is awesome.. I have no idea how I haven't seen this yet.. Super nice setup.. I love the coral types as well.. Nice job..

Thank you. With so many beautiful tanks, it's not hard to miss. While I have been lurking on the forum for more than a year, I'm slowly getting around to posting more often. :lol:

Wow check it out. Pics of my non existent tank. How do I remove these attachments?

post-40971-1247183910_thumb.jpg

post-40971-1247183919_thumb.jpg

post-40971-1247183941_thumb.jpg

I kept having that problem too. It doesn't let you edit and remove the attachments for some reason so I just deleted the post and re-posted it..

Nice! I love these non photosynthetic tanks, very cool selection so far....there is a guy here in Plantation, FL. that is closing his store and was selling his Rhizo's for $100 he had 1 pink, 1 orange and one white/purple

heres his info if you want to call him and see if he will ship...he posted this on July 12

Nature Reef

6959 West Broward Blvd

Plantation, FL 33317

• 2 weeks later...

Update...

August 2 - New Sun Corals

3786133773_bfb26aea41_o.jpg

3786133541_ab00f59bdd_o.jpg

The last one is my current favorite. At first I was alittle disappointed because it look more pink and had little hints of purple at the store but when I brought it home, it look almost exactly as the last orange sun coral that I bought. I have did not see it open at the store so I had no idea what color the polyps were. To my surprise, when it opened it was not the same at all. The stalks do have a hint of purple and the tentacles are yellow with hints of red/orange. The mouths are reddish orange. It's really beautiful. It's such a joy seeing them open the first time. It's like a present you bought yourself that comes with a hidden surprise. You never know what you are going to get.

BTW, that is Akuma my Scarlet Reef Hermit.

Current Full Tank Shot

3786133415_15c614316a_b.jpg

Black sun coral is starting to look really healthy. Balanophyllia is starting to open completely. Orange sun coral still not opening completely. Too bad 2/3 of the Dendros decided to not participate in the group photo. They are normally twice as huge.

That's it for now...

Archived