Pod Your Reef

Guia X's 120g Oceanic Tech Aquarium

guia x

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:rolleyes:

Haha. I told the guys the same thing at Vivid and they laughed at me. They said see you next week. I actually need to go back since I have a credit with them.

Haha. I told the guys the same thing at Vivid and they laughed at me. They said see you next week. I actually need to go back since I have a credit with them.

If you can't find a pink lemonade locally let me know. I have a nice sized mini colony I can frag off a bit of for pretty cheap, if you don't mind a small(er) frag. I'll toss in a green birdsnest too, to cover shipping. If you were interested.... Vivid is loaded though, I don't know what you can't find there. They had a rhizo a while back?

If you can't find a pink lemonade locally let me know. I have a nice sized mini colony I can frag off a bit of for pretty cheap, if you don't mind a small(er) frag. I'll toss in a green birdsnest too, to cover shipping. If you were interested.... Vivid is loaded though, I don't know what you can't find there. They had a rhizo a while back?

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Yeah they still have a Rhizo in their 800 gal display tank. They had two before but I don't know if the other one is still in there. Last time I went I only saw one. Which looked like it was in pretty bad shape. Last time I asked if it was for sale, if I remember, that they would only sell one but it was for like $300 or $400. I haven't asked lately though. Maybe they would part with it for cheap now.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Yeah they still have a Rhizo in their 800 gal display tank. They had two before but I don't know if the other one is still in there. Last time I went I only saw one. Which looked like it was in pretty bad shape. Last time I asked if it was for sale, if I remember, that they would only sell one but it was for like $300 or $400. I haven't asked lately though. Maybe they would part with it for cheap now.

They're not that great. I've always wanted one but now I would rather have acros. :) Acro's grow.

They're not that great. I've always wanted one but now I would rather have acros. :) Acro's grow.

Yeah. I wasn't too into acros before but I'm starting to really like them alot now. Sun corals are still my favorites and Rhizos are like super sun corals. Still, atleast sun corals grow and propagate. Rhizos don't. My dendros are growing pretty big with really long polyp extensions so they kinda look like Rhizos right now. I just really like the "relationship" I have with my sun corals and dendros in that I kinda interact with them by feeding them. Acros I can't really do anything but look at them. Anyway, I'm not in a rush to get a Rhizo.

Update...

January 21 - Installed BRS Dual Reactor and added NP Biopellets

4296266600_81b8b9f4be_o.jpg

4295521243_3b127f4ed6_o.jpg

4296266722_fefbd8157a_o.jpg

4295521391_45fa6d23a8_o.jpg

So yesterday my order of NP Biopellets came in. I know it's such a new product but I wanted to give it a try. I put it in a BRS Dual Reactor which arrived a couple days ago. I replaced my Phosban 150 reactor. My nitrates and phosphates are 0 right now but I know there are still some since my glass needs to be cleaned every other day and my Chaeto is growing like crazy. There were a few little spots of GHA in the display tank that is slowly disappearing since adding the Chaeto. Hopefully with Biopellets and the Chaeto I would not have to worry about any algae problems and continue feeding my sun corals and anthias. Right now I feed my main tank twice a day and my sun coral tank once every sunday, tuesday and friday. So we shall see how this product works. I tried to do alot of research on it but there isn't too much info out there. I do not really have any problems in my tank right now and everything looks happy. Hopefully with this they will be happier. I'll post my findings in a couple weeks, which is when it starts working.

Also, here's a shot of my refugium and my chaeto's growth. The refugium is 20" W x 16" D. The chaeto was added Dec 30 and the size of a fist (just a little bigger than the rock with the ricordeas). I can't believe how much it has grown in less than a month.

4295521497_d7871449e7_o.jpg

Majestic Tank!

Subscribed.

Benny

Thank you.

do u like the media reactors and do u think they would work as a calcium reactor or kalk reactor?

I've only had it running since yesterday only. So far I like it alot better than the Phosban reactor. Setting it up was alot easier. I just plug the hoses in and plug a Maxijet 1200 into the fitting at the end of the tube and it was all set. Took only ten minutes. Could have been faster if I didn't have such a tight space to work with and didn't have to drag the cord of the Maxijet behind the tank. Maintenance should be easier too since it is quicker to fill up. It's like filling up a DI filter. One thing I hate about the Phosban reactor is the little tube you have to plug up so you don't fill it with media. This one you just open up and pour in. If I need more Biopellets down the road, I will probably get another one so I can run carbon and phosphate remover in it separately and use this for just the Biopellets.

The guy behing the pellets is scarry :scarry:

Your fuge is awesome! Ton of chaeto!

What makes him scary? Yeah the chaeto just took off like crazy. I guess having 96w of light is super charging it. I thought it would take a few months to fill up. I guess I'll need to start trimmng it soon.

Wow, a tank for the ages, one to be GREEN with envy over.

Thanks. I don't know about it being that. There are lots of other tanks on here to be envy over. =)

Just a small update on the Biopellets. I noticed my pH went down last night to 7.9 but back up to 8.25 tonight. It freaked me out a bit but it's one of the side effects I was watching out for. I'm glad it's back up again. It might have been nothing as I also had my temp probe act up this morning too. When I went downstairs this morning my chiller was already running. It never runs unless my lights are on. Check the tank out and my temp probe was reading 76 degrees so my heaters were on. The temp on the chiller was 78.3 and 78.5 in the digital thermometer in the sump. Took the temp probe out and cleaned it and it's okay again. So I don't know if my probes are acting weird. I have to keep a close eye on them. I also notice a little more polyp extension on my sps but I don't know if that is just my eyes playing tricks on me. It couldn't create any bacteria already after just two days. Hard to tell since I already had to empty my skimmer cup today. Normally I only have to do it once a week. I emptied it when I added the Biopellets. So with this and the pH dropping, something must be happening already. I don't know for sure. I'll keep you guys updated.

animalmaster6
Thank you.

I've only had it running since yesterday only. So far I like it alot better than the Phosban reactor. Setting it up was alot easier. I just plug the hoses in and plug a Maxijet 1200 into the fitting at the end of the tube and it was all set. Took only ten minutes. Could have been faster if I didn't have such a tight space to work with and didn't have to drag the cord of the Maxijet behind the tank. Maintenance should be easier too since it is quicker to fill up. It's like filling up a DI filter. One thing I hate about the Phosban reactor is the little tube you have to plug up so you don't fill it with media. This one you just open up and pour in. If I need more Biopellets down the road, I will probably get another one so I can run carbon and phosphate remover in it separately and use this for just the Biopellets.

What makes him scary? Yeah the chaeto just took off like crazy. I guess having 96w of light is super charging it. I thought it would take a few months to fill up. I guess I'll need to start trimmng it soon.

He just looks plain creepy

TriggerHappyDude
Thanks. I don't know about it being that. There are lots of other tanks on here to be envy over. =)

Just a small update on the Biopellets. I noticed my pH went down last night to 7.9 but back up to 8.25

guia x,

I don't know if you mentioned this in your thread anywhere but what Camera and Lens are you using for your nice Macro shots?

Also, I see you have a Desjardini Sailfin Tang. I have a local friend who wants me to keep his very small (juvie) Sailfin Tang in my 34g Solana tank for a few weeks to a month maybe; just until he gets his new tank up and running. He has the means for all his other coral and livestock just not this fish. I ask cause I know people flip out about keeping certain fish in small tanks, and this is one. But its only temporary, and I don't think he'll harm any of my fish (ocellaris clownfish, yellow watchman goby, blue chromis), in fact he might do me some good and eat the green algae that is growing in my tank, I have some bubble algae, and some other viney/leafy type. Do you see any harm in keeping him as a favor for a while?

I'm using a Canon Rebel XTi with a Canon 100mm macro.

The Desjardini Sailfin Tang is pretty mellow. He chases my Kole Tang on occasion but he doesn't nip at him. Just bumps into him as if he's saying get out of my way. Other than that he scares my firefishes and Blue Spotted Jawfish when he darts around the tank but they get scared pretty easily. My Citrinis Clown Goby was actually bullying it around. The goby would just dart across the tank and smash into him. I don't know why. So he is pretty tame. My Desjardini is pretty lazy as well. He does not eat any of the bubble algae, or any algae it seems except I see him pick at some turf algae on some of the frags I got that has them. I see my Kole Tang pecking on my rocks and glass all the time. The Desjardini just swims around and waits for me to feed him. I see him nip at the rocks just occasionally.

The only problem I see with you keeping him for your friend is that these guys are fast. You might not be able to catch him without taking your tank apart. Then again, your tank does not have as many caves as mine so you could possibly catch him with just a little perseverance. So you might be okay. I just don't know how happy he'll be. Mine loves to swim across from one side of my tank to the other all the time. Since it's temporary, he could be better off in you tank than in a plastic container for that time period. So in the end it's really your choice. He shouldn't have any problems with the other fish and he might be a little stressed and could be hard to catch. That's about all I could think of. Hope that helps. I haven't really had him for a while so my experience might be different from others. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

• 2 weeks later...

Clams, clams, clams!

February 2, 2010 - Clams from Rockfish and Reefkoi group buy arrives

4327541634_9194689339_o.jpg

4326808911_626e86fc2b_o.jpg

4326808769_6ab38da7c1_o.jpg

4327541722_e0f898510b_o.jpg

4327541768_fc7026b074_o.jpg

4326808953_68df4b65ba_o.jpg

Who knew taking photos of clams was so freakin' hard! I got four clams out of the group buy. Beautiful clams. I think I may have caught the clam bug. I would love to get more now. I could never give enough thanks to Rockfish and Reefkoi for this deal.

Also just some shots of corals I have not taken photos of. They are not new but just felt like taking their photos since I never took them before.

ORA Red Planet Acro - My favorite Acro

4327541898_d933f1c4ef_o.jpg

Bonsai Acro - Doing quite well now but still just starting to color up

4327541934_34362a9560_o.jpg

Tri-Color Prostrata Acropora

4327541996_da35a9d85a_o.jpg

Caroliniana Acropora

4327542040_4555b85f90_o.jpg

Spiderman Palythoas

4327542096_4224a97f03_o.jpg

Acans

4326809217_2951d8a6c0_o.jpg

Disco Fever Acans

4327542188_644e3a2641_o.jpg

Full Tank shots

4327542308_f0d4926222_o.jpg

4326809345_1ed008f1d0_o.jpg

I should be getting more corals today but I have not gotten a shipment tracking number so I don't know if it will arrive today. I rearranged my scaping alittle in anticipation of the new additions. I swear I said I was going to take it easy for a while.

:rolleyes:

Yeah yeah. Honestly, after this order comes in, that is it for a while. Atleast a month. Haha.

NICE CLAMS!!

and the tank's looking amazing!!

Thank you. They look much better in person. I tried to capture their exact color but it's just hard getting the right angle to take sharp photos. It's so cool cuz one angle they are one color and at a another angle they are different. I don't know if it is just because I never paid much attention to them before but these are some of the nicest clams I've seen. I've always wanted one but, and maybe it's just the selections at the LFS, I just never saw one that called out to me. I'm gonna be more on the look out for clams now.

Very nice clams. Good photos, too.

Awesome Clams Guia!

Tank looks awesome!

Thanks guys. If it wasn't for Rockfish organizing the group buy and for Reefkoi hooking us up with these awesome clams, I would probably still be clamless. Haha. Honestly, I almost backed out of it thinking I could probably get one locally, but then Rockfish put up some more clams and I found another one that I liked. Gave in and got two more for a better deal. I'm really glad I did that. The last two I picked are pretty nice and much nicer in person than in the photos. Actually all of them are. Now I'm hoping I can keep them alive. It's actually my second shot at keeping clams. The first one I had in my nano, my peppermint shrimp keep picking at and died. I have alittle more knowledge of them now but still pretty new to me.

I think they have to have near-prfect water quality.

I'm having a ton of clams in the 125G!

That's what I'm striving for. My water seems pretty good right now. I just need to stay on top of my dosing (hopefully I can automate it soon) and start more of a regular water change schedule. I haven't been doing water changes lately but I will get back to doing it ever two weeks. I know my nitrates and phospates are pretty much undetectible but I know they are still there and with a couple water changes a month, it will greatly help my chaeto and biopellets out.

BTW, when you gonna get that tank going? I checked out your thread this morning and 8 pages and no pictures. Haha.

Archived