Cultivated Reef

Guia X's 120g Oceanic Tech Aquarium

guia x

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As promised, here are a bunch of photos.

New Fishes

Kole Tang

4149185681_f8ef2c0125_o.jpg

Mystery Wrasse

4149185737_cc3dba9411_o.jpg

4149944210_ef4d2373b6_o.jpg

4149185915_72099af57f_o.jpg

Lyretail Anthias

4149944096_7a9fbba7f0_o.jpg

4149185779_ca9e2d9eac_o.jpg

4149185643_b865efaeee_o.jpg

4149185813_dd50b7da43_o.jpg

4149944380_8e038a1b9d_o.jpg

4149944426_d7b6068676_o.jpg

Desjardini Sailfin Tang

4149944502_a645e11c2f_o.jpg

Old Fishes from my Nanocube

"Wolfe" - Ocellaris Clownfish

4149944548_fcf11e73f9_o.jpg

"Brass" - Bangaii Cardinal Fish

4149944588_957bb4a783_o.jpg

"Delko" - Starry Blenny

4149186111_8feb9fe7d9_o.jpg

"Delko" and "Horatio" - Starry Blenny and Citrinis Clown Goby

4149944704_c344e2c456_o.jpg

Recent coral additions

African Blue Zoos

4149944784_e37258138c_o.jpg

Purple Death Palys

4149186249_b75eb5f5ff_o.jpg

Zoos - ID PLEASE

4149944882_9c236dc566_o.jpg

Zoos - ID PLEASE

4149944964_404b4a007d_o.jpg

Zoos - ID PLEASE

4149186399_68464e412c_o.jpg

Zoos - ID PLEASE

4151214606_75b94479b9_o.jpg

Tank shots

Squidward's House

4149186537_d57255cf67_o.jpg

Zoo Tower

4149945346_49651cdd62_o.jpg

4149186783_f23d0bfa34_o.jpg

4149946026_85b13a017f_o.jpg

4149946104_dd024cd342_o.jpg

4149945508_1f3c122f90_o.jpg

4149945554_37d8e4990b_o.jpg

4149186959_6f67c38415_o.jpg

4149187323_77b510fb80_o.jpg

My homemade screen top for jumpers

4149187113_e5d861d0c3_o.jpg

4149945842_7fa35a51a1_o.jpg

Current Full Tank Shot

4149945252_f6d8624449_b.jpg

Here's a close up of the brown algae that I am currently trying to battle. If anyone has any ideas what it is and how to get rid of it, I would greatly appreciate it. So far it seems the Tuxedo seems to be helping but rather slowly.

4149945104_01d02747ea_o.jpg

Your tank rocks dude!

I'm getting a 120 too. How many fish total are you planning on having? I was thinking 2 tangs and 13 small fish.

animalmaster6
Your tank rocks dude!

I'm getting a 120 too. How many fish total are you planning on having? I was thinking 2 tangs and 13 small fish.

I almost decided to get a 125 but me and my dad know its too big for our house. I think u could get 3 TANGS and tons of other little fish. Thta would look AWESOME!!!

beautiful photo`s :bowdown:

Thank you.

YOUR TANK IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE ur Starry Blenny !

Thank you. Yeah I love him too. He has lots of personality. Unfortunately right now he is being harassed by the Kole Tang. So far nothing bad. The Kole Tang just chases him when he sees him. His buddy Horatio goes after the Desjardini Tang. It's quite amusing. There are no visible marks on any fish so it looks to be okay for now.

Your tank rocks dude!

Thank you. So far all I have planned on is adding a Pearly Jawfish, a Dusky Jawfish, a couple Flasher Wrasses and a pair of Purple Firefish. I may also add a Yasha Hase Goby cause I cannot find my old one. I still have the pistol shrimp in the nano. I'm not sure how much more I can add after that. Right now I am feeding the tank twice a day because of the Lyretail Anthias. I would love to add some more Clown Gobies like a green one and a red one. This is my first big tank so I don't really know how far I can go. So far 0 nitrates and my fuge is not fully operational yet (no light and macro algae). I'll have to do more research. If you have any advice I would love to hear it.

OMG... I couldn't agree more!!!

That, and you avatar is amazing oceanbreeze!!! :happy:

Thank you.

wOw... excellent photography... :)

Thank you. I'm just starting to do aquarium photography. It is so hard. I still have quite alot to learn. Taking sharp photos is quite a challenge especially moving fish. It helps having other peoples' work to look at, like your photos, to strive for.

animalmaster6
Thank you.

Thank you. Yeah I love him too. He has lots of personality. Unfortunately right now he is being harassed by the Kole Tang. So far nothing bad. The Kole Tang just chases him when he sees him. His buddy Horatio goes after the Desjardini Tang. It's quite amusing. There are no visible marks on any fish so it looks to be okay for now.

Thank you. So far all I have planned on is adding a Pearly Jawfish, a Dusky Jawfish, a couple Flasher Wrasses and a pair of Purple Firefish. I may also add a Yasha Hase Goby cause I cannot find my old one. I still have the pistol shrimp in the nano. I'm not sure how much more I can add after that. Right now I am feeding the tank twice a day because of the Lyretail Anthias. I would love to add some more Clown Gobies like a green one and a red one. This is my first big tank so I don't really know how far I can go. So far 0 nitrates and my fuge is not fully operational yet (no light and macro algae). I'll have to do more research. If you have any advice I would love to hear it.

Thank you.

Thank you. I'm just starting to do aquarium photography. It is so hard. I still have quite alot to learn. Taking sharp photos is quite a challenge especially moving fish. It helps having other peoples' work to look at, like your photos, to strive for.

The Kole Tang should stop fairly soon. DONT get a clown Goby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They devour all types of corals!!!

The Kole Tang should stop fairly soon. DONT get a clown Goby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They devour all types of corals!!!

Really? I have not heard such a thing. I know they love hanging out in acropora corals and occasionally nip at them but they said the relationship is actually benificial to the corals. I have the Citrinis clown goby and he has not touched a single coral. He likes to hang out on my yellow scroll coral but that is about it. Everything I've heard on clown gobies are they are reef safe. Are you thinking of a clown trigger maybe?

animalmaster6
Really? I have not heard such a thing. I know they love hanging out in acropora corals and occasionally nip at them but they said the relationship is actually benificial to the corals. I have the Citrinis clown goby and he has not touched a single coral. He likes to hang out on my yellow scroll coral but that is about it. Everything I've heard on clown gobies are they are reef safe. Are you thinking of a clown trigger maybe?

If u have a reef-safe clown goby than i think its ok. I just heard from somebody that they eat a lot of different corals. I thought they were completeyl reef safe too. How many fish do u have right now? What are those fish?

Thanks!

If u have a reef-safe clown goby than i think its ok. I just heard from somebody that they eat a lot of different corals. I thought they were completeyl reef safe too. How many fish do u have right now? What are those fish?

Thanks!

Wow. That's the first time I've heard that. I always thought gobies are reef safe. I guess I'll look into that.

My current fishes

Bangaii Cardinal

Citrinis Clown Goby

Ocellaris Clownfish

Starry Blenny

Mystery Wrasse

Kole Tang

Desjardini Tang

Lyretail Anthias (Trio - two female, one male)

Green Mandarin Dragonet

The Mandarin is currently in the Sun Coral tank. I am trying to train it into eating frozen. So far it's eating live brine but I need to get more. I left the bag by the sink and came back to an empty bag and all the brine shrimp down the sink. Right now I have been trying to get it to eat artic pods. Sometime he eats it if it falls on his mouth. If it doesn't he doesn't eat it. I'm going to get some brine shrimp today and hopefully he starts eating. So far he is doing okay with the pods in the Sun Coral tank.

AWESOMENESS. :D

im liking Squiddy's house :happy:

corals are looking good too, lotz-o-growth!

keep up the good work! ;)

Thank you. I changed the bulbs on my halides to 14K yesterday and already seeing an improvement to my corals. The whole tank looks so much better overall. I'm glad I didn't wait until it's time to replace them. I'm enjoying it more now.

I wouldn't worry about clown gobies. I would feed my acans and he would steal the food from them. I stopped feeding the acans but he would still sit on them and wait. When the food didn't come, he ate the acans. :D He didn't do much damage though, and was extremely easy to catch.

Actually I use to feed my acan as well and my citrinis goby would hang out where the acan was waiting for food. He did not eat the acan though. I can't believe they actually eat corals. I guess I have to rethink my desires for clown gobies if that is the case.

animalmaster6

Please if u want a clown goby dont not get one cause of my words. You have a clown goby and are having success so get another if u want. I just heard thry sometimes nip at LPS and SPS. I am definetly over safe.

No worries. I will decide when the time comes. It good to know what to look out for. I wasn't thinking of adding more clown gobies until I had a whole bunch of acros. I'm guessing now I would have to wait until I have colonies instead of frags to be more successful at keeping them if the clowns do start picking on the corals.

Anyway, got a little update...

December 3 - New fish added

- Pair of Purple Firefish

- Blue Spotted Jawfish

Initially I wanted a Pearly Jawfish and a Dusky Jawfish but for $70, I could not pass this one up. That's like half off of online stores. I would still really like a Dusky but I'm not sure I can now with the BSJ. He moved right into Squidward's house with alittle poking and pushing from me. He is so amazing. I love it already. Quite a character.

animalmaster6
No worries. I will decide when the time comes. It good to know what to look out for. I wasn't thinking of adding more clown gobies until I had a whole bunch of acros. I'm guessing now I would have to wait until I have colonies instead of frags to be more successful at keeping them if the clowns do start picking on the corals.

Anyway, got a little update...

December 3 - New fish added

- Pair of Purple Firefish

- Blue Spotted Jawfish

Initially I wanted a Pearly Jawfish and a Dusky Jawfish but for $70, I could not pass this one up. That's like half off of online stores. I would still really like a Dusky but I'm not sure I can now with the BSJ. He moved right into Squidward's house with alittle poking and pushing from me. He is so amazing. I love it already. Quite a character.

AWESOME! I LOVE BSJ! Purple Fifefish are realy cool too! I know of a website u can get thenm for 109 $ But 70 $. Thats Amazing!

AWESOME! I LOVE BSJ! Purple Fifefish are realy cool too! I know of a website u can get thenm for 109 $ But 70 $. Thats Amazing!

Yeah that's why I got it. When I first saw it at the store, the tank it was in had a label for a Yellow Head Jawfish for $21. I was like that's not a Yellow Head, that's a BSJ. I thought maybe I could get away with it but when I ask them if that was the price for the fish they said it was a BSJ which had the label on the tank next to it. I guess it jumped over. I probably should have asked one of the other workers instead of the owner. Haha. Still I could not pass on a $70 BSJ eventhough I probably lost my chance at owning a Dusky Jawfish. I love it but man is he causing havoc on my tank right now. He is just digging and blowing sand everywhere. It's cool though cause this tank was built for Jawfishes in mind. The main reason for the DSB. I had him building his burrow in Squidward's house last night but this morning he moved to the Zoo tower in the front. I guess he wants to get more attention. I swear I spent hours this morning just watching him dig and blowing sand away from my Zoos. Very cool fish.

Man I have GOT to get a 100mm 2.8 for my XTi.....sick shots and sick tank!

Thank you. I'm still trying to figure it out. Getting it to focus on stuff in the water is really tough. I definitely need alot more practice with aquarium shots. I still need to get in the photography section to check it out. Haha. Hopefully I learn something.

wow nice thank, those monti caps really grew fast in your tank.

Thank you. Yeah I'm quite surprised it grew so fast. I was so disappointed because it took almost a year to grow that big and I broke it into a pieces moving it to this tank. The color is starting to come back as well. Hopefully it continues to grow as fast with the Phoenix 14K bulbs.

animalmaster6
Yeah that's why I got it. When I first saw it at the store, the tank it was in had a label for a Yellow Head Jawfish for $21. I was like that's not a Yellow Head, that's a BSJ. I thought maybe I could get away with it but when I ask them if that was the price for the fish they said it was a BSJ which had the label on the tank next to it. I guess it jumped over. I probably should have asked one of the other workers instead of the owner. Haha. Still I could not pass on a $70 BSJ eventhough I probably lost my chance at owning a Dusky Jawfish. I love it but man is he causing havoc on my tank right now. He is just digging and blowing sand everywhere. It's cool though cause this tank was built for Jawfishes in mind. The main reason for the DSB. I had him building his burrow in Squidward's house last night but this morning he moved to the Zoo tower in the front. I guess he wants to get more attention. I swear I spent hours this morning just watching him dig and blowing sand away from my Zoos. Very cool fish.

Thank you. I'm still trying to figure it out. Getting it to focus on stuff in the water is really tough. I definitely need alot more practice with aquarium shots. I still need to get in the photography section to check it out. Haha. Hopefully I learn something.

Thank you. Yeah I'm quite surprised it grew so fast. I was so disappointed because it took almost a year to grow that big and I broke it into a pieces moving it to this tank. The color is starting to come back as well. Hopefully it continues to grow as fast with the Phoenix 14K bulbs.

:lol: Jawfish LOVE to keep their burrows neat and tidy while they make such a mess.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some pics of the Purple Firefish pair.

4181135018_e441927174_o.jpg

4180372121_f767026eb0_o.jpg

4180372161_c77f434b6f_o.jpg

The only semi decent pic I could get of the Blue Spotted Jawfish.

4181135138_1f067c41b4_o.jpg

December 11 - New additions

War Coral

4180372293_66fe118a91_o.jpg

Purple and Green Micromussa

4181135264_9cf062f318_o.jpg

Purple Bonzai Acropora

4180372391_70bf269c84_o.jpg

Superman Chalice

4181135348_b55ef8434d_o.jpg

Porcelain Crab

4181135180_c83fa56568_o.jpg

All the corals I got from Wet Thumb Frags. The Superman Chalice is browned out a bit but starting to back color up again. For $50, I took a chance since I wasn't ready to spend $200 on a frag. It's my first Chalice and I always wanted the first one to be the Superman. I'm just a sucker for anything they name Superman. Haha. The Bonzai is my second shot at Acros but the first time in this tank. Hopefully it will be a success as I didn't have any luck in my 28g nano. If it goes well, more Acros are sure to come. If any one have tips on helping me take care of the Bonzai and what conditions they do well in, I would greatly appreciate it. Right now I have it up on top with really strong flow.

That's it for now. I ordered some stuff from Reef Gardener and Unique Corals last week. Reef Gardener stuff should come on Tuesday and hopefully the Unique Coral stuff too. Bad news is that my Vortech broke again. I have to wait til tomorrow to call them. Hopefully I can get it fixed fast. I will need to put some powerheads in the tank in the mean time.

Archived