Coral Vue Hydros

Guia X's 120g Oceanic Tech Aquarium

guia x

Hope you're not tired of hearing it.....beautiful tank and photos!

You have my 3 most favorite fish.....

Kole Tang

Blenny

Mystery Wrasse.

I've had all 3 and they are each so cool in their own unique way. We named our Kole Tang Roscoe because of the Dukes of Hazzard (not sure how old you are) Remember Roscoe P. Coletrain? Roscoe P. KoleTang!! Ha ha ha. :lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hope you're not tired of hearing it.....beautiful tank and photos!

You have my 3 most favorite fish.....

Kole Tang

Blenny

Mystery Wrasse.

I've had all 3 and they are each so cool in their own unique way. We named our Kole Tang Roscoe because of the Dukes of Hazzard (not sure how old you are) Remember Roscoe P. Coletrain? Roscoe P. KoleTang!! Ha ha ha. :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks. Who could ever get tired of hearing such kind words. Right now my favorite would be the BSJ. He's just such a cool fish. Next would probably be the Mystery Wrasse. He's just very nice looking. That's funny with the name. I still have to name my Tangs but I named my BSJ Hodges and my Mystery Wrasse Conrad. All my fish are named after CSI agents. Haha.

animalmaster6
Here's some pics of the Purple Firefish pair.

4181135018_e441927174_o.jpg

4180372121_f767026eb0_o.jpg

4180372161_c77f434b6f_o.jpg

The only semi decent pic I could get of the Blue Spotted Jawfish.

4181135138_1f067c41b4_o.jpg

December 11 - New additions

War Coral

4180372293_66fe118a91_o.jpg

Purple and Green Micromussa

4181135264_9cf062f318_o.jpg

Purple Bonzai Acropora

4180372391_70bf269c84_o.jpg

Superman Chalice

4181135348_b55ef8434d_o.jpg

Porcelain Crab

4181135180_c83fa56568_o.jpg

All the corals I got from Wet Thumb Frags. The Superman Chalice is browned out a bit but starting to back color up again. For $50, I took a chance since I wasn't ready to spend $200 on a frag. It's my first Chalice and I always wanted the first one to be the Superman. I'm just a sucker for anything they name Superman. Haha. The Bonzai is my second shot at Acros but the first time in this tank. Hopefully it will be a success as I didn't have any luck in my 28g nano. If it goes well, more Acros are sure to come. If any one have tips on helping me take care of the Bonzai and what conditions they do well in, I would greatly appreciate it. Right now I have it up on top with really strong flow.

That's it for now. I ordered some stuff from Reef Gardener and Unique Corals last week. Reef Gardener stuff should come on Tuesday and hopefully the Unique Coral stuff too. Bad news is that my Vortech broke again. I have to wait til tomorrow to call them. Hopefully I can get it fixed fast. I will need to put some powerheads in the tank in the mean time.

AWESOMENESS! I really like Porcelain Crabs! I want to get a pair when i get my 100 G.

AWESOMENESS! I really like Porcelain Crabs! I want to get a pair when i get my 100 G.

Yeah they're pretty cool. I just had to pick him up for $8 at this pet shop I went to. I don't know what they are going for but I think I got my other one for $20. I thought it was black but to my surprise it's like a dark purple and it's fans are blue. Pretty neat. Now if I would only take the time to dismantle my nanocube and get my other porcelain crab and pistol shrimp out.

animalmaster6
Yeah they're pretty cool. I just had to pick him up for $8 at this pet shop I went to. I don't know what they are going for but I think I got my other one for $20. I thought it was black but to my surprise it's like a dark purple and it's fans are blue. Pretty neat. Now if I would only take the time to dismantle my nanocube and get my other porcelain crab and pistol shrimp out.

You should!

Want to name my mandarin? :) I'm not good at that stuff.

Haha. Me neither but since my wife decided to name my fish after CSI characters, I just went with it. Although I did start by naming all my hermit crabs after Street fighter characters. I used to be able to tell them all apart but they started swapping shells so now I gave up on naming hermits and snails. Haha. I still need to name my Mandarin too as well as my trio of Anthias, tangs, and purple firefish. I'm running out of CSI characters. Lol.

Haha. Me neither but since my wife decided to name my fish after CSI characters, I just went with it. Although I did start by naming all my hermit crabs after Street fighter characters. I used to be able to tell them all apart but they started swapping shells so now I gave up on naming hermits and snails. Haha. I still need to name my Mandarin too as well as my trio of Anthias, tangs, and purple firefish. I'm running out of CSI characters. Lol.

Time to resort to Finding Nemo character names.

:D

Any Updates? Pics?

Sorry I've been busy. I have a few new corals. Some Zoos are still closed up. I placed a couple online orders last week that should be here tomorrow. So I'll try to post some updates soon.

Guia X,

Awesome Tank Display and Photography! Great Job!

Thank you.

animalmaster6
Sorry I've been busy. I have a few new corals. Some Zoos are still closed up. I placed a couple online orders last week that should be here tomorrow. So I'll try to post some updates soon.

Thank you.

:happydance::happydance::happydance:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates. Holidays have been quite busy. Anyway, here it is.

December 15 - Order from Reef Gardener arrives

- Magicians Palythoa

4253986041_206ff59574_o.jpg

- Hot Flaming Redds Zoanthids

4254751202_0430f6953d_o.jpg

- Lemon Meringue Ricordea

4254751884_6bb0bd7dfe_o.jpg

- Spring Rainbow Ricordea

4254751752_81bb413e15_o.jpg

- Furry Big Foot Monti

4253986757_d21151d94c_o.jpg

- Red Hot War Coral

4253986445_483eb311a1_o.jpg

December 15 - Order from Unique Corals

- BPE Palythoas

4253987029_3bd527a25a_o.jpg

- Sweet Dreams Palythoas

4253985855_f27099ba7a_o.jpg

- Flaming Mean Greens Zoas

4253985943_768d0ac117_o.jpg

- Australian Hammer Colony

December 22 - Order from Reef Gardener arrives

- Radioactive Montipora Foliosa

4253986933_0ee2e1f7b4_o.jpg

- Fourth of July Ricordea

4253986113_0a9345e689_o.jpg

- Tyree Flower Petal Cap

4254752420_144a318ae9_o.jpg

- Free Ricordea

4254752118_94f57103b7_o.jpg

- Pacific Current Ricordea

- 2 Banana Yellow Cucumber

December 22 - Order from Reef Exotic arrives

- Strawberry Field Cap

4253986625_c58b24455c_o.jpg

- Blue Millepora

4253985661_4e9113539a_o.jpg

- Billy's Imperial Cap

- Water Mellon Millepora

December 27 - New corals from Vivid Aquariums

- Tricolor Acropora Valida

4253985577_df464f9b43_o.jpg

- ORA Borealis Acropora

4253985497_6a5b6f401f_o.jpg

- Acan colony

4254750838_0c062b1efe_o.jpg

- Two head Dendrophyllia for Sun Coral Tank

December 30 - New corals from Vivid Aquariums

- Single head of Disco Fever Acan

- Two polyp Spiderman Palythoas

- Tri-Color Prostrata

- Green Ricordeas

January 7 - New corals from Vivid Aquariums

- Small turquoise and red Acan colony

- Small green Acan colony

- Some Yellow Acro frag that I forgot the name of

That's pretty much it for my recent livestock additions. Sorry I did not get a photo of every addition. Anyway, I think it will be my last for a while (yeah right). I bought way too much over the holidays. I have to slow down. I added a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse but my Mystery Wrasse just tore him up and he is now recovering in the refugium until he is fully healed and taken back to the LFS or if someone is interested in him. Also my Blue Spotted Jawfish seems to be acting weird. He is not eating and have some abbrassions on his body. I'm dreading BSJ disease. Although he ate some brine shrimp today.

Also, couple of days ago my Mandarin goby decided to jump out of my Sun Coral Tank. So disappointed. I got it trained to eat frozen brine shrimp and just a couple of days ago got it trained to eat from a Mandarin diner bottle. I was hoping to train him into mysis and pellets. Then he decided to jump. As stubborn as he was, I still really enjoyed that fish. I got another one earlier today. I'm gonna get a cover for the tank now. I hope I have the same success with this new one. This one is huge and plump compared to the last one but he does not want to eat at the moment. He's just floating around the tank walls.

Finally I got my refugium up and running. Ordered the lights for them. I don't know why I did not think the lighting thoroughly but I planned it out with the guy at my LFS while setting up my whole system. We planned on using two 96w Aqualight Deluxe fixtures to light up the fuge. After installing the first one, a light bulb came on my brain that it was way too much light even with just one, how much more with two. So I never opened the second one. It will be going back unless someone wants to buy it from me. I plan on using it as a frag grow out area as well aside from just growing chaeto, so 96w is fine I guess.

Here it is installed:

4253987131_9a57219a00_o.jpg

Here's how it looks thru the glass cabinet:

4254752816_7240db0ca1_o.jpg

wow, this is a sweet thread. makes me want to upgrade!! cant wait to see the tank age. good work!

~sean

Thank you. I think I will wait for it to age for awhile before adding more stuff. LOL.

Nice tank

Thank you.

How's the acro doing?

The acro seems to be coming around. I put it on the sand with a bit of flow. The polyps are openning again. So things are looking good. I guess my lighting just shocked it. As you can see I went ahead and got a few more acros. I placed them on the sand for a little bit to be safe and now moved them to the spots I want them. So far all look pretty happy. The Bonzai is still on the sand. I think I'll leave it there for a couple more weeks.

Wow that was a big update. As always, thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice tank!!! are you happy with your lights? im thinking of getting the same ones and i need some opinions.

Thank you. At first I was not too thrilled about it but now it is coming along just fine. I switched the MH bulbs from the stock 10000K to Phoenix 14000K and I like it alot more. The 10000K was too yellow for my taste. I might try 20000K when the bulbs need replacing. Next I will replace the actinics with Current USA's 420nms. I'm not happy with the actinics color as well. Nothing really pops with the stock actinic bulbs. I think after that change I think I will be really happy with it. The moonlights, on the other hand, I am very happy with. I love looking at my tank when the moonlights are on. All the greens, oranges, yellows just glows. Other than those, I have not had any problems with them so far.

Anyway, just a little update (sorry no pics)

January 9 - New additions

- ORA Red Planet Acropora

- Melanurus Wrasse

- Blood Red Fire Shrimp

- Peppermint Shrimp

The Melanurus Wrasse I found dead burried in my Firefishes burrow the next night. So he is no longer there. He didn't look right when I placed him in the tank. He quickly burrowed but I found him swimming around the bottom corner of my tank later on until the daylights turned off and he burrowed again. He seemed fine at the store except his coloration is a little weird on his tail. The Peppermint shrimp is also gone. Probably eaten by my Mystery Wrasse. I was taking a chance since I have some aiptasia I want to get rid of.

Awesome! Glad to hear the acros are doing good. I see you are stocking up on rics and monti caps... I just finished myself. :D

The red planet is definitely one of my favorite acros. The tank looks awesome!

Yeah I didn't know what the hype about the red planet was all about until I saw it in person. I was actually just looking around at Vivid and it just caught my eye. I asked what it was and they told me. I just had to get it. Definitely one of, if not, my favorite acros.

As for the rics, I don't know but I just caught the ricordea bug or something. I had only a couple of the same color in my nano for the longest time and didn't really think anything of them. Then all of a sudden I ordered some from Reef Gardener and I wanted to keep getting more. I guess having more of them looks so much better and the colors are just plain awesome especially when the moonlights shine on them.

I have like four different colored monti caps and a foliosa right now. I love monti caps. If I could find more spots for them, I would probably get more but I am really having a hard time finding a place for them right now. I could definitely get more but I will not be able to get other types of corals since they will block out the light once they grow out. Maybe when all my acros grow out more I will have a better idea where I can put more without blocking any corals out of light.

Yeah I didn't know what the hype about the red planet was all about until I saw it in person. I was actually just looking around at Vivid and it just caught my eye. I asked what it was and they told me. I just had to get it. Definitely one of, if not, my favorite acros.

As for the rics, I don't know but I just caught the ricordea bug or something. I had only a couple of the same color in my nano for the longest time and didn't really think anything of them. Then all of a sudden I ordered some from Reef Gardener and I wanted to keep getting more. I guess having more of them looks so much better and the colors are just plain awesome especially when the moonlights shine on them.

I have like four different colored monti caps and a foliosa right now. I love monti caps. If I could find more spots for them, I would probably get more but I am really having a hard time finding a place for them right now. I could definitely get more but I will not be able to get other types of corals since they will block out the light once they grow out. Maybe when all my acros grow out more I will have a better idea where I can put more without blocking any corals out of light.

I love monti caps too, but they take up so much space. Maybe put them a little lower in the tank? I've seen some people do some awesome stuff mixing different colors of monti caps. Putting different colors next to eachother also helps them grow quicker.

Have you checked out Coral Morphologic? If you like rics... they are the place to go. You need a frag of the ORA blue tort, and a Tyree pink lemonade. Just as nice as a red planet :)

I tried putting them lower but they really like it up high. My purple caps are just starting to turn purple again after browing out. I don't know if that was from the bulbs being 10000K and now they are 14000K. The Tyree Flower Petal cap that I just bought was placed next to the purple cap and it was turning brown. I moved it alittle higher and it is turning green again. I have not seen the purple rim come out yet though. So yeah I really wanted to put them lower in the tank but they just didn't like it there. If I could then I definitely have more room to add more.

I check Coral Morphologic out now and then. They do have a nice selection of rics. I just have not ordered from them yet. One day I will. The pink lemonade is actually on my "what to get next" list. The blue tort is further down the list. I still like the red planet better than them but they are still pretty nonetheless. I'm gonna cool off getting livestock for now. I will let things grow out for a bit before adding more. I know it will be hard. Really really hard. Haha. I'm gonna concentrate on getting my filtration really tight and automating my dosing. Those will be where my money will be going for now.

Archived