Top Shelf Aquatics

Manta Ray Starphire Shallow

Mitch619

A little about the tank

The tank is a picoaquariums Mantaray 18. I have always wanted a picoaquariums tank ever since I heard about them in 2011. The dimensions are 18x18x9 four inches of the width is dedicated to the 'sump' so the actual tank dimensions are 18x14x9. I have taken down my solana reef tank and made it into a FOWLR. I found the maintenance much easier this way. The tank is finally running with all my old corals. This tank will consist of sps, acans, and softies. A true mixed reef! So far I'm changing 2.5 gallons of water a week.

IMG_2318.jpg

Home to Goose Jr. LOL

IMG_2387.jpg

Equipment List

• JBJ Nano-glo
  • Aquatic Life Mini 115 Skimmer
  • Reefkeeper lite
  • Vortech MP10
  • Ai nano
  • TUNZE Silence Recirculation Pump 1073.008
  • Finnex HMA-100 100W Heater
  • DIY Nano media reactor

Items on order

Still need

• Fragmag
  • CORAL!!!!

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you sell your solana?? Just curious ahah.

not yet. I'm cleaning it up and fixing up a few issues with the silicone seams in the back chambers! I had a bad experience with Current USA. Looking forward to getting a quality product from Chris.

Good luck!

You shouldn't have taken down your Solana yet since it takes 4-6 weeks to build a tank lol.

Yeah I know, but I had a tank crash... Suck ass big time

Deleted User 4
not yet. I'm cleaning it up and fishing up a few issues with the silicone seams in the back chambers! I had a bad experience with Current USA. Looking forward to getting a quality product from Chris.

Yeah I know, but I had a tank crash... Suck ass big time

Ahh, I see. Trust, you will love the manta ray 18 esp from Chris.

If I were you, I wouldn't go any of those lighting options that you have listed up top. Par30 is too weak and mh is too strong.

Ahh, I see. Trust, you will love the manta ray 18 esp from Chris.

If I were you, I wouldn't go any of those lighting options that you have listed up top. Par30 is too weak and mh is too strong.

What about a 70 watt fishneedit? I'm not sold on leds yet for some reason. I will be making a diy refugium light from a single 4 watt gu10 though...

Deleted User 4
What about a 70 watt fishneedit? I'm not sold on leds yet for some reason. I will be making a diy refugium light from a single 4 watt gu10 though...

That's fine but you better make sure your place is cooled with an air conditioner or having your tank installed with a chiller....lol

Yeah I really don't want this to be over-kill lol

I might just settle on the kessil. I was looking into the jbj unibody 36. I'm not sure when it will be out though...

Get the kessil a150w. It's worth it. Had I not gotten the a350, the a150w would've been my next choice, then the JBJ unibordy. AI nano is fine too I guess... It's your decision, not mine.

Deleted User 4

I think the unibody 36 doesn't have enough spread for a manta ray 18...the unibody 54 should be just perfect to cover 18x18" of a tank.

• 4 weeks later...
Deleted User 4
Hopefully I get it sooner than later! I know Chris is pretty busy right now. I'm in no rush though. I still need to buy lights, rock, a custom stand, and some live sand. It probably won't be running till late-September early-October...

Mmm I see. You know the solana 34g stands are perfect fit for the mr18. Check out this guy's build on mr18. Josh125's MR18 Build

Mmm I see. You know the solana 34g stands are perfect fit for the mr18. Check out this guy's build on mr18. Josh125's MR18 Build

Yeah, I was about to buy one but I have two reasons why I'm choosing to go custom with the stand.

1. The build quality for the price isn't the best. (I own one already)

2. The Mantaray is pretty damn shallow so I want a custom tall stand that will raise it to almost eye level.

Deleted User 4
Yeah, I was about to buy one but I have two reasons why I'm choosing to go custom with the stand.

1. The build quality for the price isn't the best. (I own one already)

2. The Mantaray is pretty damn shallow so I want a custom tall stand that will raise it to almost eye level.

Ohhh nice. Can't wait. My stand is 33.5inches tall, so I always sit down on a chair to stare at my tank lol. How tall are you going to make it?

Ohhh nice. Can't wait. My stand is 33.5inches tall, so I always sit down on a chair to stare at my tank lol. How tall are you going to make it?

I haven't really put much though into that lol

I know a guy that does excellent furniture grade wood work. I'll have to measure it out tomorrow. I want it to be 20x20 though. And I'm going to copy the solana stand and have a drawer right under the tank. As for the bottom I need space for an ATO reservoir and my Fluval Edge. I also want the bottom to have glass where my frag tank would be so I can keep an eye on things. I just need to find a good height. I don't want it too tall because then it will look weird.

Deleted User 4
I haven't really put much though into that lol

I know a guy that does excellent furniture grade wood work. I'll have to measure it out tomorrow. I want it to be 20x20 though. And I'm going to copy the solana stand and have a drawer right under the tank. As for the bottom I need space for an ATO reservoir and my Fluval Edge. I also want the bottom to have glass where my frag tank would be so I can keep an eye on things. I just need to find a good height. I don't want it too tall because then it will look weird.

Yeah, too tall would be really darn weird ahaha. I'm thinking 44" would be nice.

*Cough* Kessil a350 *cough*

Tinola are you crazy? :o The a350 has problems bleaching stuff in deep tanks! This thing is 9 inches deep. lol fried corals are not okay. :lol:

I'd get the fish need it 70w

I got it and I'm not too Impressed. I'm using it on my fowlr 34 gallon instead. It's pretty high up. I'm gonna go with the AI nano. I like the ability to control the blue in my tank.

so the tank should be here soon, right?

It hasn't been six weeks yet. :( I placed my order on the 8th of June. I hope to have it by the 20th. And I need to send my canon s100 to get repaired. I'm hoping to document the whole thing with a good camera. I also need to order some dry rock from reef cleaners this month.

Over a 20 long, which is 12" tall, I run 100% both channels, my SPS loves it. The a350 that is.

Even a 70w halide will probably cause heat problems IMO.

Over a 20 long, which is 12" tall, I run 100% both channels, my SPS loves it. The a350 that is.

Even a 70w halide will probably cause heat problems IMO.

at 10in above the water on a 10in deep tank i never had an issue. with no fan too

Archived