ReefCleaners.org

Pisces' 10g Bonsai Reef

pisces4u

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I've ben busy modding the tank!

(Since my 50g crashed and took out all my frags I had cut, I need to alter my stocking plan and will only be using 1 of the FNI fixtures in this picture.)

1CT1100609.jpg

And during the de-rimming process...

2CT110609.jpg

Rimless! At least just the top. It was a pain in the butt and I destroyed my fingers so I'm just gonna leave the bottom on.

3CT110609.jpg

I'm water testing it now... spray paint on the back panel is next!

You have alot of tanks :D

Inorite...

I'm thinking of taking down the ap12 tho, it's been neglected and doesn't have any direction or inspiration atm.

So I've ben busy modding the tank!

Here's the 10g with ac110 (-$79.95) and (2) 2x24w FNI t5ho (-$109.98)

1CT1100609.jpg

And during the de-rimming process...

2CT110609.jpg

Rimless! At least just the top. It was a pain in the butt and I destroyed my fingers so I'm just gonna leave the bottom on.

3CT110609.jpg

I'm water testing it now... spray paint on the back panel is next!

Inorite...

I'm thinking of taking down the ap12 tho, it's been neglected and doesn't have any direction or inspiration atm.

Rimless tanks rock. You gonna put some sun coral in there? :D

C'mon, the more replies the merrier omgomgomg

Apparently, it's much easier with acetone as per gabe's reply. I went to school for special effects makeup though and had so many horror stories about acetone brainwashed into me that I won't let the stuff in my house anymore.

Someone posted a pictorial walkthrough on de-rimming a 10g last week but I've lost the thread. Basically, you cut under the rim with some razor blades and try to separate as much of the silicone from the plastic as you can. It takes a lot of patience and muscle, but I'm huge so it wasn't that bad :owned: (j/k)

It looks slick, so I'd do it again any day but it did take about two hours to take the top off and scrape all the silicone residue.

Well I am off next Fri-Mon so I will de rim methinx :D

I am guessing that acetone eats through the silicone..so should I try and get some inbetween the plastic and glass before breaking the trim off? sounds messy :lol:

I shall wear my motorcycle kevlar gloves :ninja:

Kevlar will help if you use crappy non-locking utility knives like me, but the blood smears on the glass when I was done were strangely fulfilling.

AFAIK, acetone will soak through kevlar and is also absorbed through you pores. I dunno what you could wear to protect your liver from that junk.

Dayumm! I did not know acetone was so deadly :o

I like my motorcycle gloves too much, I suppose I coluld use my gardening gloves...even tho I don't have a garden :mellow:

I think I will def try this and look for the thread you mentioned...thanks for the inspiration :flower:

No worries, I stole the idea from Tenacious716 lol. He's a local that just de-rimmed a 5.5g. Imitation is the highest form of respect... or something right?

Water test day 3 so far so good. Maybe I'll have time to spray paint this thing this weekend.

10g110709.jpg

No worries, I stole the idea from Tenacious716 lol. He's a local that just de-rimmed a 5.5g. Imitation is the highest form of respect... or something right?

Water test day 3 so far so good. Maybe I'll have time to spray paint this thing this weekend.

10g110709.jpg

hey im not sure if you knew this, but G has 10 gallon rimless tanks (built as rimless so thicker and polished glass) for like 50 bucks :).

but so far, looking good!

Mate, I would love to use a legitimate rimless tank, but I've planned out my whole budget for this contest down to the penny and I can't for over $40 for anything lol.

Bah! I may have to leave the rim on as I am using a 70w Sunpod with legs :(

looking at the tank looks like the glass is too thin for the legs <_<

Hang it ^^^

Wow lotta activity in this thread haha.

I hope I am welcome here :unsure:

The sun coral in his sig and the rimlessness attracts me.

All are welcome!

I've been dying to get in on a contest since I read about the one Maria won :flower:

I had so many concepts for this contest, I had to ask around my local club for advice on which one to go with.

I just wish next weekend was here so I could work on the rock and frags and stop staring at this pile of equipment.

Aww man don't make me nervous now!

If someone would go to the trouble of writing a step-by-step guide on de-rimming a 10g, it stands to reason that the finished product would be stable yeah?

My biggest worry is a big 'ole ac110 hanging on the back. At 1.25g, that's more than ten pounds. I may have to make a stand for the HOB lol.

Mate, I would love to use a legitimate rimless tank, but I've planned out my whole budget for this contest down to the penny and I can't for over $40 for anything lol.

gotcha! i cant wait to see what happens with this tank!

Snap! and I forgot I have to hang an HOB lol...don't have the schtuff to hang the light :( and I just ordered the legs cause 1 was missing haha...maybe the next one :unsure::mellow:

Archived