Pod Your Reef

REEFROOKS 10G ADA 45-P

reefrook

current fts

IMG_5052.jpg

hi all....always wanted to start up my own thread but was too lazy too till now.

as my username suggests, i'm new to the game. 5 months back i found an old 10 gal aga in my basement and started my first reef tank. then after countless nights on NR, looking at the many beautiful tanks people got on here, i was overwhelmed with feelings of "i should of..." or "why didn't i....." or "my tanks a pos." so about a month ago i received my refund check from my school loans and went to work!

My first tank, as mentioned before was an old 10 gallon aga. i had a modded AC70 w/ chaeto, koralia nano, and a PC dual satellite.

DSC01954.jpg

i was kicking myself for not shelling out the loot for a better light because i thought i'd be happy with it. i was wrong. also, why didn't i just buy a new 10 gallon aga which is less than $15. i was stuck with one that let out an extraordinary amount of salt creep and had a bunch of scratches which annoyed the f outta me. but whatever...live and learn right.

so once my funds were in, i ordered a 10 gallon ADA, found a used sunpod 150w in the NR classifieds (thanks tangov559!). while that was coming in, i put together a sump/refugium, stand, and pvc overflow

(heard you couldn't drill ADA tanks.) couldn't have done any of it without NR. I then transfered the LR and livestock. luckily, no cycle. had everything setup just in time for the CMAS frag swap..($100 takes get you a lot at these shindigs!)

so here are some shots of my new tank

again, i am new to the hobby so please feel free to advise as i am eager to learn

P8200192-1.jpg

FTS 09/10/2010

IMG_4654.jpg

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That looks awesome! Nice work....I'm jealous :D

Thanks! But you got nothing to be jealous about. Love your tank. Especially the ric carpet. Thinkin of doing something similar if you don't mind.

This looks great! Can you take some pics of the overflow and a quick - how I did it?

Thanks,

B

I used the design off of this (someone from NR pointed me to this). There's a real good diagram of his design if you scroll all the way down.

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=288154

I love how this does not lose siphon even in the event of a power outage.

It was real cheap to make (<$10)

I was a little hesitant as I thought it might interfere with the cleanliness of the tank, but it wasn't so bad after i painted it black.

the biggest problem i ran into was priming it. sometimes i didn't prime it "well" enough and it caused slow flow.

but yea...i followed that guy's diagram, using smaller pvc's of course (1/2"), cemented the parts together, and spray painted it black with krylon fusion. it's been about a week and has not failed me yet. occasionaly i cut the power or try and break the siphon or anything else to cause an overflow. it has proven itself trustworthy so far.

here are is a pic of my overflow. please let me know if you have any other questions.

P8200169.jpg

how many gph does your returnm pump put out?

I purchased this pump

http://www.marinedepot.com/Eheim_Compact_P...-FIPHCP-vi.html

its listed as 160 gph but that's going up about 4 ft of 1/2" pvc, so i dont know what that equates to.

i wanted more flow but that would mean i would have to have had larger diameter pvc's for my overflow. anything larger then what i have now would be too bulky looking in my small tank.

ive got a 280 gph i wanna try with 3/4" cpvc which is 3/4" inside diameter.

well right now with my setup, i have my pump turn down to the lowest setting just to avoid any risk of overflowing the display tank.

but judging from my limited experience, i think you should be fine with that pump and pvc size. if anything you can put a ball valve on the return pipe to minimize the flow even more should it be too much.

when u painted all your tubes black what did u do it with??

regular ol paint?? please let me know... thnks

krylon fusion paint. its spray paint for plastic.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

they sell it at sears, ace hardware, hobby lobby..... they have a list of retailers on that website

Great looking tank!

thanks! your solana is coming along nicely. i think hanging the light is the way to go with rimless tanks. maybe i'll go to home depot today and figure out a way to hang my sunpod without buying the hanging kit.

very nice, i really like the minimal rock. i want to copy you lol

thanks kyle. that's one of the main reasons i wanted a sump. i felt my original tank looked too cramped, so during the transfer, i moved many of the larger rocks down below.

Thanks for the great link on the overflow, I just might have to get rid of my HOB filters ;)

Nice little tank also, I like tanks with less rock in them... I'm thinking of stacking my rock differently to open up the 'scape somewhat.

Picked up a crocea today at the lfs. they had a sale going on so i thought i'd take advantage. i thought the clam had more blue in it, probably a different light at the lfs.

sorry for the bad pic.

P8240002.jpg

Nice tank!! clean and simple, I like it. Where abouts in MD are you?

Thanks for the compliment. But I'm not located in MD... actually in IL, near chicago.

i think i finally got the settings down on my camera and took some pics. my camera (sony cybershot) isn't all that great and i think this is the best i can get these pictures to look.

DSC03468.jpg

DSC03472.jpg

DSC03469.jpg

pretty excited about this weekend. my cousin introduced me to rod of rod's food. he said he'd hook us up both with a pair of onyx clowns. sounded too good to be true.....i guess i won't know till i have them in my hands. only problem is what i'm going to do with the pair that i have now. i really don't want to give them away....

Sounds like you need to start another tank for the other pair of clowns. You could do a FOWLR for now, and add a 'nem later, so you'd only really need the tank, heater, something for circulation (HOB filter?), rock and sand.

Better get 'er cycling, your new clowns are coming :lol:

Sounds like you need to start another tank for the other pair of clowns. You could do a FOWLR for now, and add a 'nem later, so you'd only really need the tank, heater, something for circulation (HOB filter?), rock and sand.

Better get 'er cycling, your new clowns are coming :lol:

guess i could... but then i'd have one more tank that i'd be tempted to upgrade and then upgrade some more. and that would mean digging deeper into my pockets. that's how i got dragged into this whole reefing madness :haha: thanks for the suggestion but i think i'll just play it safe and just give my clowns away. i have a cousin with a 120 gal that has space for them. and that's only if i really get those onyx's.

Curly Joe Reefer

I love the rimless look. Have you seen substantial growth with the addition of the halides? I've been thinking of going that route. Anyways love the tank can't wait to see were you take it from here.

I love the rimless look. Have you seen substantial growth with the addition of the halides? I've been thinking of going that route. Anyways love the tank can't wait to see were you take it from here.

can't really say that i've seen progress cause i've only had the light for about 2 weeks or so. but i can definitely say that my corals have looked as best as i've ever seen them.

ok... so a couple updates. 2 days ago got hooked up with a couple frags from a local reefer (Mr. Thingdoer) Here some pics, really bad pics.

small idaho grape frag. i put it right next the orange monti cap.

DSC03504.jpg

blue ric. took the pic right when the lights turned on so doesn't look all that great

DSC03505.jpg

some type of millepora

DSC03506.jpg

then today i was very disappointed because i had to work. which meant that i couldn't pick up my onyx clowns from Rod....

but my cousin did instead! i thought i was getting them for free, but was charged $25 for the pair. pretty much free anyways, so whatever.

here's a pic of the new residents (already starting to show some black!)

DSC03503.jpg

and i included a pic of my mini dendros cause they were open at the time i was taking pictures

DSC03498.jpg

Archived