Coral Vue Hydros

REEFROOKS 10G ADA 45-P

reefrook

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so i came home last night and found that the water level in the dt had risen to the rim of the tank. i guess some air got into the overflow and reduced flow. that wasn't the bad news.... i was checkin on my new onyxes and only saw one. i quickly scanned the floor and unfortunately found one of them about a foot away from the stand. i quickly threw back in. it floated for a little bit, then started jerking. i could see its gills moving. but 10 minutes later, no movement at all :( . maybe if i got home a couple minutes earlier....

so with that said, i've given up on my pvc overflow. i know many others have had great success with them but i just don't want to risk an overflow, or any unsupervised carpet surfing :closedeyes: . i ordered an eshopp overflow box for $35, should be in any day now.

i'm also picking up an onyx replacement this saturday.

today my sunpod hanging kit came in (thanks for the fast delivery, zeroescence!) overall, i'm very satisfied with it. easy installation and very easy to adjust. there wasn't a stud directly above my tank, so i just hung it on drywall. surprisingly very sturdy.

i love how this new setup doesn't obstruct the whole "rimless" look.

DSC03508.jpg

well that's it for now. just waiting for my overflow box, clown fish, as well as a float switch i ordered off of ebay for an ato (the evap due to my sunpod is killin me!)

That sucks about your clown. I would be pissed if my onyx clown went surfing. Your tank is really nice though.

The eshopps overflow is really good at keeping vaccum and not holding air bubbles. In mine the flow was so high they got sucked right out the other side. I think you will be impressed with the performace of it. I switched over to a different one though because the eshopps overflow took up too much room in the tank and it was all black inside... at least mine was. The problem with alot of the overflows is you need a dosing pump or similar to suck the air out and keep water in it. Good luck.

That sucks about your clown. I would be pissed if my onyx clown went surfing. Your tank is really nice though.

The eshopps overflow is really good at keeping vaccum and not holding air bubbles. In mine the flow was so high they got sucked right out the other side. I think you will be impressed with the performace of it. I switched over to a different one though because the eshopps overflow took up too much room in the tank and it was all black inside... at least mine was. The problem with alot of the overflows is you need a dosing pump or similar to suck the air out and keep water in it. Good luck.

was this the same box you had?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/23762...myKz7aKbiAXbyg_

I had this one, which is like your but yours doesn't show the in-tank part.

Eshopps Overflow

This is the one I have now. I had to order a pump to keep this one full of water but it looks a bit nicer in my tank. There are some on ebay that come with the pump also (I shoulda bought one of those)

CPR Oveflow

I had this one, which is like your but yours doesn't show the in-tank part.

Eshopps Overflow

This is the one I have now. I had to order a pump to keep this one full of water but it looks a bit nicer in my tank. There are some on ebay that come with the pump also (I shoulda bought one of those)

CPR Oveflow

i dont really understand why i would need a dosing pump. does the overflow box i have, or will have, not keep sunction?

The one you ordered will keep suction fine. The only problem I had with it was how much room it took up inside the tank. The one I just got gets a lot of air in it and I have to get it out twice a day at least or there will be horrible outcomes.

The one you ordered will keep suction fine. The only problem I had with it was how much room it took up inside the tank. The one I just got gets a lot of air in it and I have to get it out twice a day at least or there will be horrible outcomes.

now you got me worried about how much space its gonna take up. the only pics i could find of the overflow were pics of the outside part. well it comes in tomorrow, so i'll soon find out. thanks for all the info.

this is my fts with the old overflow that you are getting

_MG_1592.jpg

This is the new one I got

_MG_2119.jpg

Keep in mind I now have to buy a pump to keep the suction in mine or I have to manually suck the air out 2-3 times a day where the old one was always primed and never any trapped bubbles.

i quickly scanned the floor and unfortunately found one of them about a foot away from the stand. i quickly threw back in. it floated for a little bit, then started jerking. i could see its gills moving. but 10 minutes later, no movement at all :( . maybe if i got home a couple minutes earlier....

I'm so sorry. The exact same thing happened to me a few months ago. Best of luck to your next fish!

this is my fts with the old overflow that you are getting

_MG_1592.jpg

This is the new one I got

_MG_2119.jpg

Keep in mind I now have to buy a pump to keep the suction in mine or I have to manually suck the air out 2-3 times a day where the old one was always primed and never any trapped bubbles.

that's the same problem i had with my pvc overflow. just like you, every now and then i had to manually get the air bubbles out to keep full suction.

I'm so sorry. The exact same thing happened to me a few months ago. Best of luck to your next fish!

yea..it sucks. just one of things you have to deal with when having a topless tank. i've considered putting some sort of screen on, but that would just ruin the whole look, imo.

my eshopp overflow box came in today. opened it up, popped it in my tank just to see how it looked before setting it up and...... damn, it was big, at least for my tank anyways. it took up too much room, and blocked off almost half of my clear background. this one is going back.

i was still left with my overflow problem and got an idea from opy01. said something about using an aqualifter to keep suction with his overflow box. why couldn't i do the same thing with my pvc overflow? so i went out and bought an aqualifter, drilled a hole on the top of my overflow, and presto! worked like a charm. my pvc overflow now keeps a constant, continuous siphon. thanks opy01

DSC03518.jpg

it was on sale for $9.99! not only was that on sale but all livestock was 40% off! so i took advantage and bought these two butt buddies....

DSC03533.jpg

DSC03516.jpg

was a little hesitant on the pistol, but all my rock is flush against the aquarium floor, so i don't have to worry about any mini avalanches due to the burrowing.

you bought a yasha and shrimp pair for 10 bucks? :o

i wish... the aqualifter was 10. the yasha and pistol came out to about $60. i usually don't buy livestock from this lfs cause they overprice their products, but today was an exception

Sorry about the pics. AT&T decided to do some work on our lines in our nieghborhood this summer and our net has gone down several times recently. I am glad you got that worked out. It looks great and congrats on the fish and shrimp. Just make sure that you are pumping the water back into the siphon part so if anything happenes you arent pumping the water from the overflow into the sump killing your siphon again.

its been 2 days since i bought my yasha goby. can't find him anywhere. i know they go missing for weeks at a time, but there's only so many places he can hide in my tank. checked everywhere on the floor, checked the sump, even took out the pvc overflow and flushed it. i've tested my water a couple times to see if there's any spikes and there were none. guess the only possibility is that he's under the sand somewhere with the pistol. but at feeding time, the pistol comes out and the yasha is a no-show. no choice but to do nothing i guess...

its been 2 days since i bought my yasha goby. can't find him anywhere. i know they go missing for weeks at a time, but there's only so many places he can hide in my tank. checked everywhere on the floor, checked the sump, even took out the pvc overflow and flushed it. i've tested my water a couple times to see if there's any spikes and there were none. guess the only possibility is that he's under the sand somewhere with the pistol. but at feeding time, the pistol comes out and the yasha is a no-show. no choice but to do nothing i guess...

was doing a little night time viewing with my flashlight and i peered into the borrow that the pistol has made. i notice a small shiny black thing.....took me a couple seconds to realize that it was an eyeball! the yash goby was looking straight at me! guess him and the shrimp have paired up and have set up shop underneath the rock where my acans are. people weren't lying when they said that these fish know how to hide.

got some new corals over the past weekend. went to a local reefers house and he hooked me up with a bunch of frags for really cheap! i spent only $50 and i walked away with 2 yumas and various zoas. i forgot the names of some of them but i know that he threw in some armor of gods, dragon eyes, and tubs blues.

here's some pics that don't do these corals any justice because the colors are just amazing in person (which is always the case!)

P9130030.jpg

P9130034.jpg

Archived