Cultivated Reef

** StevieT's How to Glue Coral Thread **

StevieT

The reason for this thread is to instruct all of those that are mainly new or do not know how to securely attach frags in your aquarium. I see so many posts every week regarding this subject. These are my methods, all taken from ideas of other members. I have used this method for almost every coral in my tank. They are all hermit and snail proof, yet still removable if you need to re-aquascape.

This method will cure underwater, meaning there is no reason to remove the live rock from the display. Attached are pictures showing how to secure a frag that has grown over a plug. This will also work if you have a frag attached to a piece of rubble. If you were attaching single polyps after a frag, you would only need to use superglue gel, skipping the putty stage. Hope this can clear up this easy but heavily asked subject.

Step One:

Gather your materials. You will need:

Superglue GEL, I prefer Loctite brand to any others, but it must be the Gel kind and have Cyanoacrylate as the active ingredient.
Aquamend putty, or any other kind of underwater stick putty. Sold at Home Depot for around $3.00 a tube.
Paper towels
Your Coral!!!

IMG_3314.jpg
IMG_3316.jpg
IMG_3315.jpg
IMG_3317.jpg
loctite.jpg

Step Two:

Find the correct location in your tank for this frag. Take into account the flow and lighting the area provides, match that with the requirements of the coral frag. For this area I have a large diviot, I will be using more aquamend putty than on a more smooth surface of rock. The putty is used to fill any holes in the live rock/frag. The glue is what actually does most of the bonding.

spot.jpg

Step Three:

Trim your frag plug if necessary. For this plug I cut off most that I could without compromising the coral. Frags are also sold on live rock pieces or on their own. You will only need to trim to match the type of aquascape you are looking for.

IMG_3320.jpg
IMG_3319.jpg
IMG_3318.jpg

Step Four:

Mix up a small ball of aquamend putty. This can be done before you bring the frag out of the water, but it is a short step and your coral will be fine exposed. (applies to most coral). Make just enough to fill in any holes or areas that are on the live rock you are attaching to. Too much here can make your frag look ugly in the tank since you will see the white putty.

IMG_3323.jpg

Step Five:

Apply the superglue gel to the frag or plug. I usually will dab dry the coral or blow off water with my super strong lungs. Use the correct amount to make a secure bond for the next step, but try not to add to much that it will ooze onto the coral itself.

IMG_3324.jpg

Step Six:

Apply the putty ball to the superglue on the frag. You don't need to push very hard, just secure it to the glue.

IMG_3325.jpg

Step Seven:

Apply another layer of superglue gel to the top of the putty. You can dab dry or blow again. Superglue gel will cure to a wet surface.

IMG_3326.jpg

Step Eight:

Stick it in!!!! Dunk the frag and all the glue and putty in the water. Secure it to the placement you picked out earlier. Give it a firm push, turning the frag plug slightly to get the putty and glue in all holes and divots. Position to where you can not see the white putty.

IMG_3328.jpg
IMG_3327.jpg

Enjoy!! You now have a coral that is secure on your live rock. The putty and glue will both cure and harden under the water. Some applications require you to turn off the pumps, for this demonstration, I had all my pumps on. If gluing a polyp with glue only, it is recommended to turn off all flow and allow the gel to cure.

Good luck.

:happydance:

Edited by StevieT
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I remember using just putty to secure my frags without the glue. I used to curse my snails every morning as I came down to my frags being face down in the substrate. As simple of a lesson as this is, it's amazing how this is not covered in more detail anywhere I read.

I have found that using putty alone doesn't give it the stickem the frag needs to stay in place. Over time the putty just gives way. It cures rock hard, but doesn't have tack. Using the glue it provides all the hold you need.

As simple of a lesson as this is, it's amazing how this is not covered in more detail anywhere I read.

I know, thus this thread!!! B)

Does it work ok without the puddy for small frags? I went to home depot and I cant find any aqua puddy. What section is it located in? The only thing I found was plumbers sealing stick puddy. I didnt get it because I wasnt sure if that was the same thing.

Thanks Stevie!

oh ya...how do you trim the disc they come on?

Edited by zoazoa

Zoazoa-

yes, it will "work" without it, but it may not stick as long, as well, or stay where you want it to. The entire reason for the putty is to fill in holes in the live rock and give a better surface for the glue to stick. Some applications like with polyp only attachemnt, glue is all you can use.

It is found by the glues in the paint section. Yeah what you found if I can picture it wasn't correct. The putty will be as pictured, an outer color and an inner color. I don't know what does what, but one is the filler and the other the binder or curing agent. I think you were looking at plummers putty which may work...but I haven't tried it. Look for waterweld, aquament, pool putty, basically anything that will cure underwater.

Edit: I used a constructon tool for this plug. Something that cuts nails or metal. You can also use a razor, or dremel tool. Depends on how close and accurate you want to get to the coral. I just snapped off the long part of the plug with this tool I had laying around.

Edited by StevieT

Nice thread. My only problem is I am very indecisive and like to move things around too much. I have recently decided though to get a little more rock and start going with a more decisive set up and to start anchoring stuff down more. Perfect Timing on this thread! I wouldn't have thought to use em both!!

I've never seen superglue that didn't have this in it, but I am pretty sure the superglue gel must be made of Cyanoacrylate. Correct me if I'm wrong here. Who knows, some cheap off brand might have some other compund in it, but I've always heard to stick with Cyanoacrylate or you'll be flushing stuff down the toilet... True enough statement?

Edited by reefitup

very true and good point. Cyanoacrylate is the ingredient that you are looking for in glue.

Good to hear you are going to keep your corals in one place. Constantly moving them around can stress them out. It is best to buy a frag, have a plan where you want to put it, and leave it there. If you need to move it around someday, fine, it can still be removed with my method, but try and keep it in once place.

yo stevie, glad you made one of these threads. now we wont be having to read "how to i mount this frag" or that other stuff. good work

tubatime1010

I like cyanoacrylate glue for gluing single polyps to plugs...but whenever I try to put it on the bottom of a piece of rubble or a plug to glue a frag in place, I end up losing most of the glue on the way down (it sort of...strings off of the frag), thus getting it everywhere (sometimes on the coral...sometimes all over my hand/arm/aquaglove) any ideas on how to prevent this...or am I the only one having this issue?

thanks!

:happydance:omgomgomg

One thing Id like to add is 2 part epoxy gets really hot when it starts to cure so when gluing actual coral flesh to a rock or plug its better to use super glue gel and not aquamend epoxy. The only time to use the epoxy is if you want to adhere a rock to a rock or a plug to a rock etc. I wouldnt even use the epoxy to adhere a hard coral (sps) to a rock or plug as I had several frags die because the epoxy gets really hot when it cures.

Edited by proraptor2

Your the man!!!! I have been using a 3 pack of gel super glue from the dollar store. Today I got fed up with it and went to Lowe's to get the loctite stuff. It works great and has an awesome container. The glue dosen't always keep coming out! Have you tried that epoxy stuff they make? Is that safe/good? Can you get the "white and Grenn" epoxy there?