Pod Your Reef

MY BioCube BC29 Picture update of new light

JCBioCube29

This is my set up for the BC29 BioCube. ( it is new I just added water this week.) I have made modifications to the tank. 1) I increased the flow of water from chamber 1 to chmaber 2 two. (2) I added the 4.36 light upgrade from nanotuners.com.

my equipment: Nano Fission Skimmer in chamber one. In chamber two I have the Bio Balls (lets not go there on this topic) before the water gets to the bio balls I have placed blue filter pads, coral life polishing pad (mircon pad) and a bag Chem-Pro. In Chamber three the stock sponge and I have placed the stock pre filter from chamber one next to the sponge. I have the stock pump. In the tank I have a JBJ UV light and a Power sweet power head, and a heater.

IMG_0862.jpg

Nano Tuners 4.36 Lighting Upgrade

IMG_0891.jpg

Nano Fission Skimmer in Chamber one

How to install in chamber one go to my other posts

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...28369&st=20

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

Chmaber TWO

IMG_0868.jpg

Chamber 3 stock pump and the stock filter from chamber one placed before the sponge

IMG_0849.jpg

MOON lights

IMG_0876.jpg

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice ..looks like your on your way. I am still new to the hobby and not sure about all the media your running before it cycles..may slow it down a bit. I would turn you biocube filter in chamber 3 around.

good luck

i agree, i would save all that media tilll the tank cycles.... let it do its thing!.. after about 1.5month i would add the media back in..

Nice ..looks like your on your way. I am still new to the hobby and not sure about all the media your running before it cycles..may slow it down a bit. I would turn you biocube filter in chamber 3 around.

good luck

Thanks I noticed that after i toke the pictures. I already tunred around the biocube filter. I am so excited. Right know the water is still a bit cloudy. How long should I wait before i Put in Live rocks. I live in Miami and i am going to pick up the rocks from a seller in the Florida keys. ( From the ocean to my take)

Yeah order from Sealife Inc. you wont be disappointed!! Ken is a great guy and you will pleased with what you get.

Tank is coming along great so far!

Yeah order from Sealife Inc. you wont be disappointed!! Ken is a great guy and you will pleased with what you get.

Tank is coming along great so far!

My tank temp is getting to 82 during the day and 78 at night. I might be planning to add a fan inside the hood atleast to move the air over the water. My other idea is some how to raise the hood so the trapped air can get out.

ANY IDEAS OUT THERE

I am now running mine topless with a Sunpod MH but when I was running the hood, I would just leave the back lid propped open a little bit. That seemed to help some of the hot air escape. Worth a try in my opinion and see if that helps.

UPDATE

Today i am going to order the hydor flo rotating deflector for my tank. Also the following 4 fan unit to cool of the tank.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...p;N=0&Nty=1

going to place it in the back cover. I might take off the cover totally and just place the fans over the opening sucking out the hot air trapped in the hood and I will have to make covers for the gaps left open by the fan unit.. I should get all this in about 10 days. i will post pics once i have it all done.

I currently also have the power sweep power head in my tank placed in the center should i also get a Hydor for the power head.. Does any one think i should Move it more to the right or just keep it centered.

IMG_0838.jpg

Glad to hear that helped out with the temps.

HELP

Thanks I will keep eveyone post on my tank.

I moved my bag of Chemi-pure (after adding the nano fission skimmer in chamber one) from chamber one to chamber two right under the drip plate, I have it flat with filter pads and underneth it. To my surprised the tank got cloudy and has bean cloudy for about 5 days and my white filter pad i placed in chamber 3 is all black. Do you think that there is to much water movement in chamber two. should I just place it in chamber 3.... Please help.......

Did you rinse the chem-pure (if its a new bag)?

I Finally got my water crystal clean. I re-rinsed the chemi-pure and I moved it to chamber 3. I also decided to remove the factory filter pad i placed in chamber 3 it really does nothing. The only thing i got out of it was the lose carbon chips on the floor. I romeved it and I placed a ploishing bad in its place.

I have added to my tank A quad fan i bought at Drfostersmith.com to keep the temperature down and it works perfectly it has lowered my temp by about 5-7 degrees( i have had all my tank lights on and the UV on for about 5 hours today and the temp is 74.8). The key to this is to keep the front lid a bit open so that the hot air normally trapped inside the hood can escape. I also bought a Hydor Flo . I placed it in the outlet from the factory pump. I did not like it there b/c it does reduce the output of water. (the hydor is a great product it does work but reduces the ouput) So I placed the Hydor on my Power sweep power head and i placed it in the center of the tank and it is working great

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

I have added to my tank A quad fan i bought at Drfostersmith.com to keep the temperature down and it works perfectly it has lowered my temp by about 5-7 degrees( i have had all my tank lights on and the UV on for about 5 hours today and the temp is 74.8). The key to this is to keep the front lid a bit open so that the hot air normally trapped inside the hood can escape. I also bought a Hydor Flo . I placed it in the outlet from the factory pump. I did not like it there b/c it does reduce the output of water. (the hydor is a great product it does work but reduces the ouput) So I placed the Hydor on my Power sweep power head and i placed it in the center of the tank and it is working great

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

Looks like it's coming together quite nicely. I think the flow/positioning of your pumps mostly depends on where you place your corals within the tank. What are you planning on keeping? Softies? I'll be following your thread. Curious to see how it develops.

If all goes well next month i will be getting the rocks and I Plan to have have some softies. I am more of a fish person than corals.

thanks

The tank setup sounds great. I am inerested in the lighting unpgrade, but don't want to screw it up by doing it myself. How hard was it to do? I have Murphy's Law typr luck with that kind of stuff.

The tank setup sounds great. I am inerested in the lighting unpgrade, but don't want to screw it up by doing it myself. How hard was it to do? I have Murphy's Law typr luck with that kind of stuff.

It was not that hard. It toke me about 3-4 hours b/c i like to take my time when i am doing things of this nature. The instructions were good i really did not have any problems. You will need to drill wholes on the hood, pass new cables cut cables.... nanotunners are great and sell great products. I am very happy with my buy. Remember spend the extra money and get the new high flow fans you will need them.

My new modification on my front hood. I drilled holes on the front hood to allow the hot air pushed out by the rear quad fan. Temps range in my tank between 76 at night with no fans and during the day its about 74.3 with all tha fans on. The only thing is now alot of water evaporation. We just cannot not win. But i am very happy with this modification heat problem is gone

IMG_0932.jpg

My new modification on my front hood. I drilled holes on the front hood to allow the hot air pushed out by the rear quad fan. Temps range in my tank between 76 at night with no fans and during the day its about 74.3 with all tha fans on. The only thing is now alot of water evaporation. We just cannot not win. But i am very happy with this modification heat problem is gone

IMG_0932.jpg

Damn, now that's what I call a substitute to a chiller! I thought about doing fans but it just gets too hot (88 F). How much did the fans run you? The 1/15th chiller was the greatest investment in the tank so far. I have the lid over and closed and the tank stays at a cool 78-79 F. I know chillers are a bit pricey, but I really think it's worth it if it gets too hot where you're at.

Believe me I think Chillers are the way to go but they cost some money. The fans put me back about $29.00 at drfostersmith.com. Right now this is working for me perfectly. and I have extra Money. I did the modification yesturday. Today In Miami it is very hot I will see what the temp is when i get home.

Archived