Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I really like your tank. If you are still having problems with your fish getting into the back chamber you could try using plastic mesh to cover the slots. That's what I did with my Evolve tank.

7bc1a64de85535fc5af508d94352dca7.jpg

Wow

Daaaaaaang!!

I know, right? Jedimasterben said you need about six inches to spare around favites and he is definitely right. What's funny is that those favites have been in the tank for about six months, slowly encrusting. Until about a month ago, their sweepers never got more than about 1/4" long. Then suddenly they decided to go crazy :wacko:

Hi, I really like your tank. If you are still having problems with your fish getting into the back chamber you could try using plastic mesh to cover the slots. That's what I did with my Evolve tank.

7bc1a64de85535fc5af508d94352dca7.jpg

Thanks! That plastic mesh looks really nice, and it's open enough that it won't trap particles going into the filter. Where did you get the mesh?

For what it's worth, I tried putting fiberglass window screen on mine, so there's no way Houdini could have slipped through it. I checked the rest of the tank very carefully last night when it was broken down, and there are no other entry points into the back chamber. So the only theory I have left is that he somehow jumps through the 1/4" gap between the cover and the back chamber wall.

Love this little tank. I hope everything is happy again after the deconstruction.

Thanks! I just caught up with your new build thread - it looks great!

I was pleasantly surprised to find everything opened back up just fine today once the lights came on. I took a new FTS since the one last night was missing a lot or corals :)

16465636682_cf2349318d_b.jpg4g CAD Lights FTS - 02/07/2015 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Great cleanup, I know how much work that is! One of these days I'll get to cleaning up my 29 ... maybe.

Thanks, Mark. I have to admit it probably wouldn't have happened without the favites forcing me to do it :rolleyes:

Thanks! I just caught up with your new build thread - it looks great!

I was pleasantly surprised to find everything opened back up just fine today once the lights came on. I took a new FTS since the one last night was missing a lot or corals :)

16465636682_cf2349318d_b.jpg4g CAD Lights FTS - 02/07/2015 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Beautiful!!! I love this tank. Makes me want a little pico to play with!

I got from a craft store and it's cheap. It's been working for over a year for me on a freshwater tank. A guppy got into the back and this stopped that.

71b277c86aa43373421f4f4d800e7f1e.jpg

Here's a link to it.

http://www.michaels.com/darice-plastic-canvas-%237/M10812487.html

Looks like a beautiful planted tank, by the way :wub: I don't know if you've seen the beginning of this thread, but this tank started as an Evolve 4 :)

Thanks I did. It's giving me inspiration. I bought two Evolve 4's on clearance last year for less then $25 each. I just started my reef tank in December.

it looks great, john!

well worth the sweat and heartache.

and *i* have a vermatid snails outbreak too.

i hate them. the tube ones that shoot stick snot

out, right? i'm not sure if/when i can do such a thorough

clean up--while still on deadline. augh. but i hate

they are spreading.

i might try and plug them up with epoxy??

either way, the tank looks great!! congrats!

reefernanoman

So favites are like some kind of pest teeny? I'm glad that you got rid of them! I see that your tank is back to its awesome self! Great job on the reconstruction.

it looks great, john!

they are spreading.

Another kind of pest? What do they look like?

it looks great, john!

they are spreading.

Thanks, Cindy! Yes, those are vermetid snails. And the longer you let them be, the more of them you will get. And the bigger they get :angry:

I tried pretty much everything I could find online. Plugging them up with superglue can work but you have to get it on just right so that it really covers up the opening. Otherwise they just work their way around the plug and are back bigger than ever. And they grow on the back and bottoms of your rocks too, where you can't get at them. Like any other pest, the more you keep after them the better, otherwise they get out of control.

So favites are like some kind of pest teeny? I'm glad that you got rid of them! I see that your tank is back to its awesome self! Great job on the reconstruction.

Another kind of pest? What do they look like?

Favites aren't really a pest, they are just too big for this little tank :D They're a beautiful coral but they don't make for good neighbors.

I'll see if I can find a picture of one of the vermetid snails. They are not attractive so they're usually cropped out :P

I took this picture with my cell phone a couple weeks ago because I thought it was funny that the yellow scroll coral was ambitious enough to try to eat a mysis shrimp :lol:

But there are several vermetid worms in this shot, including one in the back that has got his snot going up onto the corner of the yellow scroll. Their snot is mostly harmless, and in theory they are helping to filter the water. But they can irritate zoas, and the snot is definitely not sexy :angry:

16478479491_bf6cc16f87_b.jpgBlind Ambition (Yellow Scroll Coral) by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I am absolutely obsessed with this tank. Read through everything. Those are some tricky fish!!! Great job on this tank. I'm deff following for the long haul. :)

blurgh. john, do you have tips?

how do you remove them? i know they said

just pulling or cutting might not work because

the critters retract to below the tube? did you

say you actually chipped away on the rock so

they'd come off? with what tools?

any advice appreciated. i might take a break

from revising today to do a major cleaning.

i answered my own question!

i did some research and went out to buy

a nose plier. it worked beautifully on snapping

those tubes right off. killed almost all that i could

see in the tank. thanks for inspiring me, john! :)

i answered my own question!

i did some research and went out to buy

a nose plier. it worked beautifully on snapping

those tubes right off. killed almost all that i could

see in the tank. thanks for inspiring me, john! :)

Good luck, Cindy! I found that snapping off the tube only works if you get the base too. There's a little blob that tube grows out of that's really hard to get off the rock. You have to crush it or scrape/pop it off to kill the snail. :(

Good luck, Cindy! I found that snapping off the tube only works if you get the base too. There's a little blob that tube grows out of that's really hard to get off the rock. You have to crush it or scrape/pop it off to kill the snail. :(

yes! i used it to chip away the foundation too. hope i got it.

there were wormy things i pulled out, so i assume so??

I took this picture with my cell phone a couple weeks ago because I thought it was funny that the yellow scroll coral was ambitious enough to try to eat a mysis shrimp :lol:

But there are several vermetid worms in this shot, including one in the back that has got his snot going up onto the corner of the yellow scroll. Their snot is mostly harmless, and in theory they are helping to filter the water. But they can irritate zoas, and the snot is definitely not sexy :angry:

16478479491_bf6cc16f87_b.jpgBlind Ambition (Yellow Scroll Coral) by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Thats some gluttony right there lol

yes! i used it to chip away the foundation too. hope i got it.

there were wormy things i pulled out, so i assume so??

Yep, you got 'em!

I am absolutely obsessed with this tank. Read through everything. Those are some tricky fish!!! Great job on this tank. I'm deff following for the long haul. :)

Thanks! I took both the screen and the sponge away from the overflow. Houdini has stayed put for several days now. I'm mystified :)

Archived