Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

Even though the new rock would be a bone dry rock with nothing on it? It wouldn't add anything to the system - I'd just slowly (1 rock at a time) be removing each of the rocks..

Well yeah the rock would be clean but the water would still contain the algae spores. Also if it was bone dry it wouldnt have denitrifying bacteria so a cycle would ensue. If you slowly replaced the rocks with dry ones you might avoid a new cycle it would take longer to do but it would give you an advantage in the fight

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all,

Apologies I haven't been keeping up really on here with the updates like I once was. The truth is, I'm just not as happy with how my reef looks now versus when it did months ago. It's matured, I believe I'm at 9+ months now. Over the past month or so I lost my remaining hammer corals, lost an acan frag because one of the hammers landed in the acan, and just recently lost my emerald crab. He was getting pretty big, but I just woke up one morning and found his shell. I thought hey, he molted - but he's nowhere to be found. Don't think it was his molt... pretty sure the shrimp got him.

I have a few acans and they're doing okay, my ricordia's are probably the hardiest of my corals as they're still doing great, my zoa's are doing.. alright. My torch coral isn't doing as good as it once was. I don't know what my issue is with these types of corals. Lost my frogspawn, lost my hammer, and now my torch is getting smaller.. I think it's either my light OR it's water quality/ flow. Too much flow I think. The 240gph really is powerful for such a small tank...but the stock pump isn't enough to even spread food around.

The biggest thing that makes me happy still everyday is seeing how incredibly WELL my clownfish, goby, and shrimp are doing. My clownfish is SUPER playful and often darts around seeming to "tease" the goby. It's pretty funny, she will swim over near the entrance and as soon as the goby comes out to see the clown will head back up, go directly infront of the 240gph and BLAST across the tank in the current... always reminds me on finding nemo and the turtles hahaha.... sometimes she's doing flips and goes across sideways. She eats like crazy, nice and fat and is very healthy.

With that said, I think my goal in the early new year is doing to slow pickup a new AIO. Nuvo 20's don't seem to be anywhere in Canada, and shipping from the USA would break the bank so probably not an option at this point. I'd look into a Nuvo 16 possibly if I can verify the serial # to be a 2nd Gen.

I've learned a lot from my Spec V, but would most likely be retiring it.. or possibly keeping it and letting the goby & shrimp own it entirely. Not sure where I'd put it though..

Next tank would be one word: minimalistic.

Very simple dry rock. I'd stock fish before coral - and do coral very slowly and very themed. Ricordia's are acan's remain my favorite coral. so I'd love to pick them up. There's so little room in the Spec V.. especially with my rockscape. With a bigger tank I'd litter the entire sandbed with these corals..

Anyways, just a quick blurb guys. My tank makes me sad - Basically had SOME bubble algae and I guess it looks like it made it ways up into the 240gph and BOOM it exploded a billion spores EVERYWHERE. Rocks are basically a bubble algae rock now. I should sell it back to the LFS haahahahahaha... "rare bubble algae live rock." Between all the bubbles grows aiptasia. Pardon my language, it's a f*cking war zone.

Luckily my actual fishies are doing great. Will keep you all updated...

Get another tank dude. Just upgrade. Keep your remaining corals and fish alive until you can cycle a new tank. Get some dry rock and live sand and go for it. I'll send you money if need be.

Sorry to hear about the troubles. Maybe time to make some drastic change to the tank? I thought you were going to replace the rocks?

Hmm... I thought about it. I don't know. I just don't know how it would work. Would it even work? Ideally I'd like to only have ONE rock (for the time being, until I can really bring all my corals back to being fully happy.) I'd leave the smaller rock in there though which my shrimp & goby live under..

Get another tank dude. Just upgrade. Keep your remaining corals and fish alive until you can cycle a new tank. Get some dry rock and live sand and go for it. I'll send you money if need be.

Haha thx my friend Evan you're too kind a guy!!

Sorry to hear your frustrations. I'm glad your clown is doing so well though.

Thank you, the fact that my clown is doing well and is being so happy is what really makes me happy. Eventually I wanna give her some companions again and introduce another clown - but just don't know..

I'll try and upload an (embarrassing) photo tomorrow of my Spec.. It all seems to have happened so fast.

So.... I made a trip to my LFS tonight.... Stumbled upon this Nuvo... 120!!? Holy crap!

TxWPNJg.jpg

AND THEN I FOUND A NUVO 20. Wat...... :wub:

LvE00F5.jpg

So after seeing then, I weeped a little inside at the $450 tag..

Figure I will continue giving the Spec V some TLC and see if I can help bring it back to the way I want it. But, I'm gonna start a second savings (separate from my car which is nearly half way) for this tank. People really don't realize just how costly this hobby is.......

Nuvo 20 $ 450

A good heater $100 (I wanna invest)

Figure I'll get 3 x 5 Gallon buckets and I believe it's $0.99 for RODI water at my LFS. Will pre-mix my own salt. Then have 2 x 5 Gallon's additional with just RODI. Will also need to invest in an ATO. Maybe the skimmer that fits in the Nuvo 20 chamber. I'll need some new chemipure's etc X 2 qty of each because it has 2 baskets I believe. Probably gonna invest in a better thermometer, with an alarm for min / max temps. Flow is probably good as it is, perhaps I'd do a mod for a spin-stream.. Figure another grand all in .. dang.

Question: The standard lights pictured above on the Nuvo 20 - Are they any good? I have my Halo 38 - I don't know how it would perform in a larger tank like the 20? Thoughts?

~ Cheers all! :)

Nuvo 20 is $200US. Are they charging you that much more just for the light?! Nuvo 20 doesn't come with a light by default...But even if it does, most kit lights suck.

I thought they offered 2 different options, one with a regular light and one with a "coral" light? When I asked the guy he had no idea though - he said they just have the one box which is what they have setup there in the pic. There's 2 LED square lights!

The lights look identical to what Bulk Reef Supply offers as a "kit" for the Nuvo 16's... http://aquarium.bulkreefsupply.com/search?asug=&view=grid&cnt=16&w=Nuvo+20

Shipping on that would cost me another $200 though.. if even possible which I don't even think it is haha :( :( :(

Gah, $450... :'(

If I were to go home and just pull an ENTIRE rock out of my reef (I have 2 rocks) .. what would happen?

I'd most likely remove the rock on the right side. I'd have to carefully remove my three ricordias from that rock and .. I'd have to perhaps buy some frag plugs and glue the ric's down on the frag plug and put them down in the sand.

Would I have major consequences in doing this? My 3 main params have been 0 for past several months. Perhaps I'd need to up the WC's again and get back into weekly 25% WC's? With the rock out I'd be able to really clean thing up and turn it minimal - just corals.

I am about to do the same thing in my 12g tank...so let me know how yours go =P. I plan to pull my left rock out in 2 weeks when I am back from a cruise. I bought some Seachem Matrix Bio Media to add to the back chambers to host more bacteria. But I think with your light coral load, it should be fine without extra bio media.

2004jeeplaredo

Oh man i want to get the fusion 20 so bad! Im surprised your pistol hasn't excavated more sand for his size. Mine is tiny and seems to be moving half the sand in my tank.

Oh man i want to get the fusion 20 so bad! Im surprised your pistol hasn't excavated more sand for his size. Mine is tiny and seems to be moving half the sand in my tank.

Hahahah oh man take a quick scroll thru some of the earlier pages in my thread. My shrimp used to create mount-Everest every single night in my tank. Wake up and water was so cloudy hahaha...

I am about to do the same thing in my 12g tank...so let me know how yours go =P. I plan to pull my left rock out in 2 weeks when I am back from a cruise. I bought some Seachem Matrix Bio Media to add to the back chambers to host more bacteria. But I think with your light coral load, it should be fine without extra bio media.

In your 12G you're gonna pull a rock? I would ideally like to take one out at a time so I don't cause any disturbances. Then, I would eventually introduce a bone-dry clean rock with absolutely NOTHING and I would want it to be very "flat" looking - right in the middle of the tank, flat sand around it. I'd make a "coral island" with all the corals just in the middle. Or maybe.....GSP. A GSP rock right in the middle.. Maybe I'd then mod the nozzle to fit a spin stream. This is a good idea.. I'd be really happy with my tank then, the vision of this is great.

I say go for it. Pull the rocks out one at a time. I only have two rocks in my 12g and I want to get rid of the bonsai tree one.

What do you plan on doing afterwards?

I just hope there's nothing on the sand/ area beneath the rock ... like I just picture a godzilla size worm emerging from the sand and latching onto my finger hahahahah

What do you plan on doing afterwards?

I just hope there's nothing on the sand/ area beneath the rock ... like I just picture a godzilla size worm emerging from the sand and latching onto my finger hahahahah

I plan to replace it with gorgs from KPA

OMG. I downloaded the original size and zoomed in. HOLY CRAP BUBBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need an army of emerald crabs dude =P.

I had 2 emerald at one point .. all they did was walk all over my acans and pick food from the acans mouth during feeding :(

I had 2 emerald at one point .. all they did was walk all over my acans and pick food from the acans mouth during feeding :(

I think Gena had a battle with bubble algae at some point. Maybe try asking her for advice? I think ur best bet is to get new rocks and cycle them in a 5 gallon bucket and swap them in.

I think Gena had a battle with bubble algae at some point. Maybe try asking her for advice? I think ur best bet is to get new rocks and cycle them in a 5 gallon bucket and swap them in.

How would I go about cycling rocks in a bucket?! I'm interested haha ...

How would I go about cycling rocks in a bucket?! I'm interested haha ...

It's the same as cycling your tank except you use a 5 gallon bucket + a powerhead. Seed it with a small live rock ruble from your tank (after you dip it in H202 and scrape off the bubble algae).

It's the same as cycling your tank except you use a 5 gallon bucket + a powerhead. Seed it with a small live rock ruble from your tank (after you dip it in H202 and scrape off the bubble algae).

So you would setup a dry rock in a bucket, pull out the existing rock, and seed with some existing rock after dipping in H202? Was planning on just losing the existing rock for good lol...... But I can perhaps use some ammonia drops in there to get that going?

1. mix new water in bucket

2. add powerhead

3. add dry rock

4. remove a small rock from your tank, scrape off bubble algae, dip in H202 / water mix for 1 min

5. add that small rock to seed your dry rock

6. add ammonia if you have any

7. wait 2-3 weeks

8. swap out bubble rock from your tank with new dry rock.

that's what I would do but i will let others chime in too. i assume u r only removing one big bubble rock and not ALL the rocks right?

wow you weren't kidding about the bubble algae, sorry you haven't been having much luck lately. You are so right with it costing a fortune to I haven't even set up my 65 yet and am already thinking of selling it to get a shallow one, I've come to like the shallow minimalist look.

Hope things start to get better for you soon.

Archived