Cultivated Reef

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

that or go bare bottom and have GSP cover the bottom of the tank.

This. 100% this. It would be amazing!! someone please do this!

Anyway, Kijho I am really glad you are not giving up on the tank. Really excited to see how it turns out this time around! I need to get moving on my tank. Its such a mess right now but I haven't had time to clean it up. Hopefully this week I will post some updates.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BIGGEST - MIRACLE - EVER - JUST - HAPPENED.

This will be my THIRD Emerald Crab - After the first two never touched a single bubble algae, I gave up hope. I thought it was just a myth.. "emerald crabs eat bubble algae." Anyone who told me this I would think is living a fairytale, haha..

UNTIL NOW.

I just literally watched the new (red) emerald crab walk up to my hermit crab. I see him pick the hermit up, and I think "oh no.. he's gonna get him.." I watch, fearing for the hermits life - but praying deep down inside the myth - the legend - the folklore - "emeralds eat bubble" .. Please saltwater reef tank god, please bless me and allow me to see such a spectacular phenomenon.

Que story-mode:

The mythical emerald crab raises it's long arm, extended its pincers open. "Please, please.." I whisper to myself. The emerald takes aim, and swiftly yet gracefully, pierces down on the hermit crab. His pincer right against the shell, latches onto a tiny green bubble algae spore. The emerald, hungry - plucks the small bubble off of the back of the helpless hermit. He brings it to his mouth, opens wide - and devours the dreadful bubble in one quick *munch*.

I literally took a step back from the tank and clapped with joy...

Kijho's Fluval Spec V Resurrection has begun!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If he eats all bubble, I'm gonna protect this guy like he's made of pure gold!!

If he eats all bubble it opens so much possibility. New scape, corals, focusing on corals and water quality, then livestocks.

How much is that MAME? Would it be beneficial? Sh*t, I'm gonna get the itch. How bout that NanoBox? hahahahaha...

What about a small HOB refugium - cheato?

Cool story! It had an interesting exposition, suspenseful midsection and a pleasant resolution :lol:

I think next time you get fish you should definitely QT! Sounds like your parasite problem never went away, and that did your goby in :(. Or maybe order from DD?

BIGGEST - MIRACLE - EVER - JUST - HAPPENED.

This will be my THIRD Emerald Crab - After the first two never touched a single bubble algae, I gave up hope. I thought it was just a myth.. "emerald crabs eat bubble algae." Anyone who told me this I would think is living a fairytale, haha..

UNTIL NOW.

I just literally watched the new (red) emerald crab walk up to my hermit crab. I see him pick the hermit up, and I think "oh no.. he's gonna get him.." I watch, fearing for the hermits life - but praying deep down inside the myth - the legend - the folklore - "emeralds eat bubble" .. Please saltwater reef tank god, please bless me and allow me to see such a spectacular phenomenon.

Que story-mode:

The mythical emerald crab raises it's long arm, extended its pincers open. "Please, please.." I whisper to myself. The emerald takes aim, and swiftly yet gracefully, pierces down on the hermit crab. His pincer right against the shell, latches onto a tiny green bubble algae spore. The emerald, hungry - plucks the small bubble off of the back of the helpless hermit. He brings it to his mouth, opens wide - and devours the dreadful bubble in one quick *munch*.

I literally took a step back from the tank and clapped with joy...

Kijho... this is the most majestic thing I have read all night! lmao

Really glad you finally got an emerald that does its job!!! woohoo!! I'm also really glad to see your tank going places!

lol, i am totally doing it to my Spec. i been looking for something to spice it up and a way to lower the rock

If this actually happens I will love you. jus' sayin'.

Day # 331 (10 months, 25 days)

Blasto...

16529467496_3efa493ef2_c.jpgIMG_7619 by kijho6, on Flickr

GSP!! Day 1! You can also see my Acan coral to the right on the rock. Crab is actually just in behind it, and clearly made it upset haha..

16555487895_b5389f2d11_c.jpgIMG_7616 by kijho6, on Flickr

15932913914_dfce93b6ec_c.jpgIMG_7594 by kijho6, on Flickr

Here's a shot of the bubble algae beginning. Not sure the BEST way of getting this off, tweezers really suck for it. Thinking of taking a razor blade - turning off all pumps - and "shaving" them off in one big (slow, gentle) swipe down. Then suck each out of the tank? Then do a big 50% WC?? Also going to pull the 240gph off the wall and either A) scrub it down good or B) retire it for time and possibly put a slip-stream nozzle on the stock output.

16368012930_2bcb8f9779_c.jpgIMG_7620 by kijho6, on Flickr

To top things off, a FTS full front view..

16553807021_079fd33e10_c.jpgIMG_7592 by kijho6, on Flickr

Slightly top-down view..

16369192319_48558b27e2_c.jpgIMG_7597 by kijho6, on Flickr

B) B) B) B)

I actually really dig how minimal it looks. Hopefully I can custom fab up a nice cleaner new lid for the tank, and salt inhibit spray everything to clean it up around the edges!!

I sent an email off to Vidarock earlier today, looking for 3 small 3" barnacles (not real barnacles, but the hand made ones from I believe some form of ceramic rock?) - Would glue them together and make a nice little piece. I can see it being covered in GSP with a barnacle blenny scooting between them.

Confirmed: Emerald crab plucked some of the Bubble off the back (black) wall last night. He's hungry... I'm making him hunt for the food hahahaha :P YES!!! I don't think he can reach up to the other bubbles though :unsure:

Moved the GSP last night over beside the black wall. I'd love for it to go up on the wall maybe.. The 240gph I notice does blow the GSP kinda hard, it usually is "blowing" to one side. I think it's alright though. I read online that GSP likes to be a bit closer to light, I moved my light about 1" closer (not much) we'll see how things response.

My little red emerald is so awesome. I just really dig his red color!

Gotta pull the 240gph out soon and scrub it down, I think some bubbles are inside the actual grill so I will clean it well.. still on the edge of retiring the 240gph and just putting a spin stream in or maybe a reflector but I dunno yet. Perhaps a trip to the LFS today, perhaps......

I made another finance .. mistake decision this week........... :mellow::mellow::mellow::mellow::mellow::mellow::mellow::mellow:

DSC_0971_zpsl8qntyii.jpg

Also, I'm in email communication right now with CeramEco (Vidarock) producers. There's no suppliers in Canada for their rocks, but they're trying to set me up with some small 3" barnacles to be shipped to Canada. They're going to discuss with one of the American suppliers to see if they can get me some, if not they will help me perhaps directly!

Excited for this. Ideally I would like to glue the 3 x small 3" barnacles together to form a small little "rock" to place on the left side perhaps. I'd maybe glue them up in a "tower" or just a little triangle. I'd LOVE if the GSP grew all over this and I had some little fish darting between the holes!! :D

Here is the one I made, I made mine with a back door so the little guy could have somewhere to escape to if he wanted. I used rock rubble since I couldnt find a barnacle
IMG_3001.jpg
IMG_3032-1.jpg

I stumbled upon this build from back in 2010 and this image (above.) Really like this idea, I don't know if I would do the same PVC tubing, but I'm thinking perhaps a watchman goby?
Cencalfishguy56

Awesome idea, read your entire thread over the past couple of days and people like you have inspired me to set up my nano tank, over the past 6 months I have battled almost every obstacle and nearly gave up but now I am proud and glad I didn't give up, in the end it's worth it and you have a red mithrax crab btw same as emerald just red lol I had an emerald and mithrax and they did nothing for my GHA problem I was pissed but I learned always use live rock dry rock leaches phosphate like crazy anyways good luck and tank already looks great!

Made a trip to the LFS today and picked up a few things:

1. 6x pack of Algone pads. Will slip one in each week beneath the filter floss.

2. Phosguard media in a bag. Will have to fit this somewhere.. might put it on top, and thin out the filter floss to be a much smaller layer

3. Hydor rotating deflector. Going to place this in and see how I like the flow, will also pull the 240gph out and scrub down as it has some algae growth on the grill casing.

I told the guy at the LFS I've been fighting an on-going battle for 6 months with bubble algae. Now, my fix is easy - the bubbles are on the back black wall and the crab is getting them. He can't reach the higher up ones, so I will manually remove each VERY carefully THEN as added security I will do a large 50% WC. I will then swap ALL media/ filters and he suggested I put in a Phosguard, as algae growth can be a result of high phosphates.

The Algone should hopefully also benefit.

Anybody see any issues in my above plan!? Too much chemical filtration?

I've spent the last 2 hours or more in the tank, hah. Started elbows deep until I drained it 50%... (Then I wasn't past my elbows haha..)

After a quick trip to the LFS and speaking with some people there, they suggested I try temporarily swapping my purigen out and using phosgaurd for a little. Phosgaurd isn't actually that big, I think I could fit purigen in there along side it on the same rack even.. we'll see how it works out for now.

I also read up on algone so I picked some up. The guy at the LFS told me it was useless and wouldn't help. But hey, I'm not gonna listen to everything everyone tells me. Some stuff online said it helped, he said it doesn't help - I decided to see first hand myself so grabbed a small box.

Also picked up some coraline booster, and a new bag of chemipure elite.

16579516376_3820e00cc1_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

First, I pulled the filter rack out..

15985759143_9a5beea823_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

Noticed a nice size brittle star in here. Poor lil guy, took him out and let him go free in my tank. He happily went under the rock.

15985727893_e2684a575e_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

New filter media, you can see the phosgaurd doesn't take up too much space. The algone is beneath the filter floss.

16398217107_fdec48cdba_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

16418308628_e1489f2fc7_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

16605546425_508ccb193f_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

16418338918_0de02d557a_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

Glued the GSP (simultaneously gluing the hole in the side-wall) ..

16398194547_097e40f8c0_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

Pulled the 240gph out. Bubble's on it..... :angry: :angry: I am going to really scrub this down before putting it back in. Maybe even a peroxide dip, I want everything gone. (Except.. that little spec of coraline... so sad.)

15983342744_0431187af8_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

Began filling the tank back up. This is how I do it - With a very small siphon drip tube. I have my "fresh/ new" Saltwater up on a shelf above the tank, and I drain it then into the tank. VERY Clean way of doing this and it helps maintain PERFECT temperature. If the temp. of the "new" water isn't exact, by putting it in slowly (drip) it helps level it out very quickly!

16418293298_bd8f5fce92_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

You will notice I had a hydor deflector in the above pic. Within a minute of running the pump I turned it off and pulled that thing out.

Didn't work well and kinda made a mess LOL...

Now I just have the stock pump with stock nozzle running. I am going to see how things go with this :)

NorthGaHillbilly

Oh no..... I didn't!!! :(

I'm not 100% on this, but if j remember correctly its one that needs to be rinsed or else there might be some pretty bad reactions from the dust, but I quite possibly am wrong

Archived