SaltCritters.com

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be posting mad pics soon, don't worry buddy. Oh, and I use Photobucket to host my pics. I know they have HTML source links available to copy and paste, specifically for forums. I post pics from my Android using the app.

If your using the mobile version get of it any pics you want to upload screen shot or press and hold to save the image then there is a choose file button under more reply options, choose from existing, attach file, post

Damn Kijho sorry to hear about your clown that is always a though loss :(

Good to hear that your other one is doing well! Your tank looks so killer i love it!!

Well...hammers dead. I have bad luck with the softies.. Dunno! My frogspawn didn't last a week. My torch is doing great though..

Beginning to think its my light? Not good enough perhaps?

Everything else is doing great and my acans especially!

Question: is it okay to pull my rock(s) out for XX minutes to scrub bubbles off with peroxide, WITH all of my corals glued down?

Would leaving it in a small bucket with no water be ideal, or should it be submerged in water while I scrub?

Well...hammers dead. I have bad luck with the softies.. Dunno! My frogspawn didn't last a week. My torch is doing great though.. Beginning to think its my light? Not good enough perhaps? Everything else is doing great and my acans especially! Question: is it okay to pull my rock(s) out for XX minutes to scrub bubbles off with peroxide, WITH all of my corals glued down? Would leaving it in a small bucket with no water be ideal, or should it be submerged in water while I scrub?

dang. that hammer looked so good. did it suddenly happen? any change recently beside clown passing away? was it brown jelly? your light should definitely be good enough for LPS and softies.

Well...hammers dead. I have bad luck with the softies.. Dunno! My frogspawn didn't last a week. My torch is doing great though.. Beginning to think its my light? Not good enough perhaps? Everything else is doing great and my acans especially! Question: is it okay to pull my rock(s) out for XX minutes to scrub bubbles off with peroxide, WITH all of my corals glued down? Would leaving it in a small bucket with no water be ideal, or should it be submerged in water while I scrub?

Sorry to hear about the hammer it was very beautiful :(

after a quick google search i found this: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/9/short#section-1

some corals in the wild become exposed to air during low tide so IMO it would be ok for a short while while you clean the bubble algae, that being said I would have a bucket of tank water the same temp as the tank as well as one for rinsing the rock off after.

Best of luck on what you decide!

Yep the above poster nailed it low tide will expose corals and they naturally store moisture in themselves so like 10 minute would literally do nothing I'd cap it at maybe 30 but even then transported frags can roll around in shipping and be exposed for hours.

dang. that hammer looked so good. did it suddenly happen? any change recently beside clown passing away? was it brown jelly? your light should definitely be good enough for LPS and softies.

It just looks... VERY small and has lost color, looks purple pretty much the exact same condition my frogspawn looked like....

PRETTY MUCH THIS:

https://flic.kr/p/o3NyiX'>14471565729_3610a414e6_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/o3NyiX'>IMG_2105 by https://www.flickr.com/people/125103418@N08/'>kijho6, on Flickr

My Rics & Acan's all look beautiful. Torch looks good in the back. Zoa's.... meh, they're okay.

Gonna do a WC tomorrow. I'm thinking of FW dipping my Clown to perhaps try and get some of these remaining flukes off...

I think I might also put the chemipure & purigen back in as it's been 2 weeks without any filtration, I think it's having negative effects on everything else.

Think I may also remove my hammer, very sadly..

Also have to zap like 10 pretty damn big aiptasia which came while I was on vacay.

:(

I am dosing one of my displays with prazi as well. Nothing is effected but I did notice that the meds seem to lose potency so I have been doing a W/C and redosing (full amount) every 5 days which seems to be working much better. Before, new flukes were hatching and not getting killed due to the med being old. The extra water changes keep the tank in line without filtration too.

Sorry to hear about the coral problems :(

Copper, phosphates? I'm at a loss it's weird that that the two euphylia did bad but the other one is fine, are you feeding the torch mysis or anything. Can we get a pic of whole tank and maybe a shot of the hammer again

Your positive nothing is stinging it even at night? It's not rotting? It isn't receeding? The only thing I can say is move it somewhere brighter but just a bit that is why I think the torch is doing well.

What camera are you using is the torch in a darker area of the tank? In the pic it is higher then the hammer but looks dsrker

It's covered now I that purple "web" I posted in a few pics back somewhere... It looks so odd.. Will try to get pics tomorrow, I'll do some testing and then ill do a wc.

Snow_Phoenix

Sorry to hear about all your problems - I just ventured into this thread. One of my Clarkiis came in with flukes about 1 month+ back. I had to set him down on a wet tissue (sideways) and carefully extract the flukes one by one using one of the sharp-ended tweezers from my college zoological kit. It was an arduous process, and I had to keep the fish's gills moist, and had to work quickly and carefully. Had to also give the fish several 'breaks' in a small bucket of saltwater so that he could swim around and not feel too stressed out. With persistence, I managed to eradicate all the adult flukes. The fish also showed no signs of stress after his mini-fluke-extraction, and I watched carefully for another round of flukes (thought there might be eggs), but so far no more breakouts. I did give the fish a Punktol Ultra dip throughout seven days just to be sure. Somehow the problem self-resolved, I guess, because I didn't spot any flukes on the fish or any others afterwards.

Day 144: (Passed the 5 month mark, will try to do a clean FTS once everything is opened)

Started off with some testing (PRE-WC): (Phos. on the left, Kh, Calcium)

15085114665_d703fa0384_c.jpgIMG_3932 by kijho6, on Flickr

15084755932_867372bc3d_c.jpgIMG_3933 by kijho6, on Flickr

15082084091_21fe964856_c.jpgIMG_3952 by kijho6, on Flickr

As you can see, my Nitrates came in at 0ppm which is a first. Concerned, I completely cleaned out the test tube, dried, and re-tested about 10 minutes later. Same result, 0ppm. I've never had 0ppm in my nitrates since I've began..... Any thoughts? Obviously a good thing, but I'm a bit concerned.

Here's a breakdown of everything:

Ph: 7.8

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm (Very unusual, tested twice.)

Phosphate: 0.00 - 0.25ppm

Kh: 8 - 12 (140 - 200ppm) (Usual)

Calcium: 9 x 50 = 450ppm

Salinity: 1.028 (Slightly high, doing WC to bring down.)

Temp: 77.5*F -/+ 1*F

Daylight: 7 Hours

Moving on to my hammer coral issue....

15085099635_d186d8a9f9_c.jpgIMG_3949 by kijho6, on Flickr

14898548777_04965eefa5_c.jpgIMG_3936 by kijho6, on Flickr

14898529678_e009bec9dc_c.jpgIMG_3935 by kijho6, on Flickr

You can see, this purple web has grown around the stems of the skeleton?? This has gotten bigger over the past month. If you see page 1 of my thread, my hammer has only gotten smaller as the months progressed. :(

Here's a FTS with lights on for about 10 mins only:

15082088771_7360443a65_c.jpgIMG_3948 by kijho6, on Flickr

Clownfish Status - Closeup images may be slightly disturbing, WARNING:

15085104295_232ffb922f_c.jpgIMG_3947 by kijho6, on Flickr

15084748472_42eb538ea8_c.jpgIMG_3939 by kijho6, on Flickr

14898547687_9e559dd59e_c.jpgIMG_3938 by kijho6, on Flickr

Looking back a few pages, the "flukes" spots ON the physical body of my Clownfish have reduced. However, the mouth of my clownfish has changed and doesn't look too good. She still eats, swims, and sleeps like normal.

Thanks to everyone for the continued help and support, I really truly appreciate it.

Poor fish...

My hammer looks similar to yours, all closed up. However, I dont have any purple web thing or brown sac...

Good luck getting it all sorted out!

Maybe the water is too clean for the LPS and they are pissed.

I would retreat that clown ASAP :( Maybe also post in disease ID forum in case there is something that looks similar to flukes. I have never seen cotton mouth, ect in person. In that last picture, it looks very round. Flukes can cause secondary infections, ect.

Well, someone in the Disease section has suggested that my Clownfish may have 'lymphocystis.'

Did some research and found about 5 posts on various forums regarding it. Several pictures that look identical to what my Clownfish appears to have. It was often referred to as a "beard" on the mouth area.

Unfortunately, they all came to the came consensus - there's no cure. It's a viral infection, but isn't too too dangerous. Most posted the same behaviors as I am seeing in regards to the fish eating, swimming, and sleeping normally. They said it can take up to a month to disappear on the specific fish. It can sometimes disappear on it's own, but some suggested a QT. Others said a QT could worsen it.

All of the threads I found suggested keeping very clean water, feeding a garlic food, etc.

I would pull the hammer. IMO There are to many unknowns to risk the rest of the tank.

As for the for clown I think on the plus side lymphocystis is manageable and as long as the clown keeps eating and is stress free it will pull through. It will work out Kijho!

Well, someone in the Disease section has suggested that my Clownfish may have 'lymphocystis.'

Did some research and found about 5 posts on various forums regarding it. Several pictures that look identical to what my Clownfish appears to have. It was often referred to as a "beard" on the mouth area.

Unfortunately, they all came to the came consensus - there's no cure. It's a viral infection, but isn't too too dangerous. Most posted the same behaviors as I am seeing in regards to the fish eating, swimming, and sleeping normally. They said it can take up to a month to disappear on the specific fish. It can sometimes disappear on it's own, but some suggested a QT. Others said a QT could worsen it.

All of the threads I found suggested keeping very clean water, feeding a garlic food, etc.

Yeah I was thinking lymph myself. The earlier pics looked like flukes though. Thinking maybe he had both and the flukes may indeed be gone. Poor little guy :(

Archived