Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Oasis: ADA BTA Build

kveekx

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome looking Blue BTA. Nice!

Thanks it is a awesome addition to the tank the clowns host both the blue and the rainbow because they are about 2-3" apart on the same island!

Sick! Can't find much on blue bta's. nice find. Hope it keeps the bubbles for u.

Yeah blues are pretty much non existant online! When I saw it I knew I couldn't pass it up, and it has gained color since then! I hope it keeps the bubbles too. I am a firm believer that the bubbles have to do with flow and not light because the non bubbled RBTAs I have seen are usually grtting blasted by a Vortech pump. I only have 200-300gph of flow in here so I hope that keeps all of them bubbled!

By this you mean that the more flow the less bubbles? Hmm. I want to try another, but can't find any locally that look like they would live a week.

By this you mean that the more flow the less bubbles? Hmm. I want to try another, but can't find any locally that look like they would live a week.

Yes, I think when they are getting more flow they loose their bubbles.

There is nothing proven on how they keep/loose their bubbles. I have heard it is streching for light but on multiple occasions I have seen BTAs under crappy old T5s perfectly bubbled but what else was in the tank? Low flow. I have also heard if you feed more they are more likely to bubble but, I have seen BTAs that get fed multiple times a week that still loose bubbles. I really think it is the flow but that is just my opinion.

Ordered a Mr. Aqua 7.5 For a sump today and here's what I came up with in sketchup!

0582c9e2-6b99-4b3d-8e23-4a659bebdc3b_zps

The first chamber you can see the skimmer sticking out of will hold the skimmer(obviously), heater, and Nano Reactor. The second chamber will be a "duplex" fuge/filter feeders zone. The top will have rubble and some macros and xenia while the bottom will be for feather dusters, sponges, aptasia, and what ever else wants to filter in the dark! (Thanks for the idea Drift Monkey!)The dark bottom area will have the glass painted black all around it except for two doors that I can peak into every now and then and see whats down there! Thanks for showing me the duplex idea And the third and final chamber will be for the return and ATO I will eventually be getting!

Drift Monkey

Ordered a Mr. Aqua 7.5 For a sump today and here's what I came up with in sketchup!

0582c9e2-6b99-4b3d-8e23-4a659bebdc3b_zps

The first chamber you can see the skimmer sticking out of will hold the skimmer(obviously), heater, and Nano Reactor. The second chamber will be a "duplex" fuge/filter feeders zone. The top will have rubble and some macros and xenia while the bottom will be for feather dusters, sponges, aptasia, and what ever else wants to filter in the dark! (Thanks for the idea Drift Monkey!)The dark bottom area will have the glass painted black all around it except for two doors that I can peak into every now and then and see whats down there! Thanks for showing me the duplex idea And the third and final chamber will be for the return and ATO I will eventually be getting!

Nice! Good to see someone else giving benthic/cryptic creatures a try! I'm pretty convinced these overlooked creatures can only help us in the long run because they are found in nature doing the exact same thing.

Looking forward to this! :D

Nice! Good to see someone else giving benthic/cryptic creatures a try! I'm pretty convinced these overlooked creatures can only help us in the long run because they are found in nature doing the exact same thing.

Looking forward to this! :D

Yeah I wouldn't doubt it! I have LOTS of little feather dusters in the display on the rock! To get it started down there I will chop ALOT of them off the rock and toss them down there!

Nice mock up. Following this sump build.

I will post pictures of the process of building it!

Drift Monkey

Yeah I wouldn't doubt it! I have LOTS of little feather dusters in the display on the rock! To get it started down there I will chop ALOT of them off the rock and toss them down there! I will post pictures of the process of building it!

Good idea! Toss me some! :P

Good idea! Toss me some! :P

If it works good and they multiply a bit more I could send you some if you really wanted!

Nice build I wish I went the sump route I might have to purchase a MAME overflow.
The mame is pretty good at not stopping the siphon but make sure that your pump will run dry with a baffle before the pump can flood the tank.
Yes, I think when they are getting more flow they loose their bubbles.

There is nothing proven on how they keep/loose their bubbles. I have heard it is streching for light but on multiple occasions I have seen BTAs under crappy old T5s perfectly bubbled but what else was in the tank? Low flow. I have also heard if you feed more they are more likely to bubble but, I have seen BTAs that get fed multiple times a week that still loose bubbles. I really think it is the flow but that is just my opinion.

I believe it's flow too my RBTA losses bubbles in the day when the flow is high and it only ever bubbles up a little at night when the flow is right down.

Well of cource when Im on a fishing trip all the issues with the tank happen. We lost power for 3 hours in the middle of the night. When I heard I thought "Oh the tank will be fine the fish were sleeping anyways and the "self-restart" MAME will work for me since I have tested many times." Well I was wrong I got home today to the tank completely full and the MAME not running and about a gallon of water on the floor. I have NO IDEA how it happened since the sump is designed to have the pump run dry before the tank flooded. So the tank was running with out a heater,skimmer, or flow for almost 36 hours. Thankfully no casualties though. I am pretty pissed that the mame didn't restart it self though. Tank is running good now that Im home.

That sucks man! That would make me test it a few more times in order to avoid that in the future...
yeah.. Might have to look into a life reef now.
Mr. Microscope

The design looks good. Just make sure to calculate how much space you have left in the sump vs. how much will siphon back into in the event of a power outage. You may want to adjust the height of your baffles accordingly. Also, are you worried about microbubbles getting back into your display form your skimmer?

The design looks good.

1. Just make sure to calculate how much space you have left in the sump vs. how much will siphon back into in the event of a power outage.

2.You may want to adjust the height of your baffles accordingly.

3.Also, are you worried about microbubbles getting back into your display form your skimmer?

1. I was actually calculateing that today!

2. I'm finalizing the baffle dimensions.

3. Not really, I only have 1 baffle now and I dont get any. This design has to go over 2.

Thanks for giving me some things to think about Mr. Microscope!

Drift Monkey

Elaborate..

It's a pita, but still possible. I just don't like the HOB ones...although the lifereef is supposed to be good.

It's a pita, but still possible. I just don't like the HOB ones...although the lifereef is supposed to be good.

Ill hang on to the mame and re design the next sump.

Archived