ReefCleaners.org

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

Did you do a big dose of Zeobak at the beginning, best way to cycle?

Your tank is 10 gallons gross volume? If so...

ZeoBak: I would do 1 drop every other day for 10 days straight (total 5 drops), then 1 drop a week after that.

ZeoFood7: This is combination bacteria and coral food, but you can start dosing it with the Zeobak. It is good for the biology of the tank. Dose 1 drop a day after corals are added. It is a food so it will increase nutrients in the tank so maybe start with 1 drop every other day to start and see how it goes, if you get diatoms or algae - stop dosing it for a while. I don't dose this product since I use so many other foods individually but it is a good product to use.

ZeoStart3: This is your carbon source. Dose 0.05mL twice a day once you get some PO4 and NO3 happening in the tank (fish added). That is 0.05mL not 0.5mL , you will need to use a 1mL syringe for accurate dosing. Do not over dose this product.

Have a look through the guide but if you are not running the Zeolites, your running a hybrid system with Zeovit additives, there is not real guide for that. I would check out the Zeovit forum for what people are doing with hybrid systems.

Best advice..."Less is more" Start very conservatively and watch your corals and rock, they will tell you what's going on in your system.

Christine

Thanks for the thorough writeup. Wow my dosing ideas were way off when it came to ZEOstart...

From their guide they say:

"Subsequently, dose 1 ml per 25 gallons net water volume over a period of 2 weeks."

That part is confusing. Do they mean 1ml per 25 gallons total in a 2 week period? If so then your 0.05ml makes sense.

Besides that, ZEObak and ZEOfood dosing were exactly what I came up with as well.

I plan on doing the dosing before fish/corals are added.

Thanks for the feedback :)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the thorough writeup. Wow my dosing ideas were way off. Crap, 0.05ml? Isn't 1 drop approx. 0.5ml Looks like i'm going to have to start searching for a syringe... Drops vary in size, not an accurate way to dose. Syringe is better, go to a pharmacy and tell the pharmacist what you are using it for, I'm sure they will sell you one, or go to a vet and do the same.

Are you sure on the dosing for ZEOstart? From their guide they say:

"Subsequently, dose 1 ml per 25 gallons net water volume over a period of 2 weeks."

That part is confusing. Do they mean 1ml per 25 gallons total in a 2 week period? If so then your 0.05ml makes sense. No they don't. This is for new full zeovit start-up, disregard. Trust me, 0.05 mL twice a day, if you get a brown film on rocks/glass (not diatoms) decrease the amount by half until it is gone.

ZEObak and ZEOfood dosing are exactly what I came up with as well.

I plan on doing the dosing before fish/corals are added.

Yes you need to get a healthy biological state in the aquarium, this takes time but is well worth the effort and patience. Start slow, one fish, one coral at a time, give the biology time to build up as your livestock does. If your cycle is complete start with CUC, not too much as they will just die without algae to eat. Add a small fish and a test coral (preferably a Blue tort SPS mini colony) just kidding. Maybe a Birds Nest or LPS. See how things progress and move forward based on that. Slow and steady wins the race :)

Thanks for the feedback :)

I answered in bold above :)

Christine

I also planned to keep the minimal hardware but that may change. However I will NOT add any hardware that takes away from the beauty of the tank. And I'm not specifically referring to the display part either. I mean the tank as a whole package. Hence the reason for the rear cover so I don't have to look at all the crap. My pod is a hardware nightmare and I'm not getting to that level. Otherwise I may as well bought a tank at Petco and slapped a HOB filter on it.

You have any recent pics of your "entire setup"??? Not just your tank or display, but the whole tank, stand, light setup?

What will you dip your corals in?

I answered in bold above :)

Christine

Thanks so much! RE: the drops per ml thing, I made a typo originally. 1 drop=0.05 not 0.5ml whoops... :P I will take your advice on the syringe. The syringe I have only does about 0.2ml increments. Haha Iuckily i know my pharmacist well, so they shouldn't ask too many questions/think i'm a drug addict :ninja:

Well it's either going to be one or two fish, and definitely plan to start with a CUC. Since the tanks inception I have had not a single speck of algae or diatoms. Obviously my sand and rock don't seem to be leaching phosphate as far as i can tell anyways. Hanna phosphorus checker to come soon... just to be sure.

So if my CUC can't munch on algae if it's non-existent, than would feeding the tank with food be alright?

I also planned to keep the minimal hardware but that may change. However I will NOT add any hardware that takes away from the beauty of the tank. And I'm not specifically referring to the display part either. I mean the tank as a whole package. Hence the reason for the rear cover so I don't have to look at all the crap. My pod is a hardware nightmare and I'm not getting to that level. Otherwise I may as well bought a tank at Petco and slapped a HOB filter on it.

You have any recent pics of your "entire setup"??? Not just your tank or display, but the whole tank, stand, light setup?

What will you dip your corals in?

I love your rear cover BTW. :happy:

I haven't posted any of the entire setup yet. I'm going to have to clear up some boxes and that before taking a pic. Little messy right now since i've been so busy lately. But for now, to give you an idea, the stand is my desk which also has my slew of external HDD's and computer. Light is my Razor mounted on the ceiling, and most everything is hidden in the chambers, so not much equipment to see. I will post some pics soon though. I should have time this weekend to tidy things up for a photoshoot :P

Not 100% decided yet on corals dipping yet. I mean, I will for sure be dipping, and have been eyeing the RPS ALL-OUT but have seen that CoralRX is tried and true from most reviews. I am always up for experienced recommendations though. What do you use?

I'll be dipping in Julian Sprung's Revive... because... well.. because Julian.

That is also one i was considering. I have read some things saying it was a bit hard on some corals though. Many have also had much success with it. Another hard choice to make... :rolleyes:<_<

Thanks so much! RE: the drops per ml thing, I made a typo originally. 1 drop=0.05 not 0.5ml whoops... :P I will take your advice on the syringe. The syringe I have only does about 0.2ml increments. Haha Iuckily i know my pharmacist well, so they shouldn't ask too many questions/think i'm a drug addict :ninja:

Well it's either going to be one or two fish, and definitely plan to start with a CUC. Since the tanks inception I have had not a single speck of algae or diatoms. Obviously my sand and rock don't seem to be leaching phosphate as far as i can tell anyways. Hanna phosphorus checker to come soon... just to be sure.

So if my CUC can't munch on algae if it's non-existent, than would feeding the tank with food be alright?

I love your rear cover BTW. :happy:

Thanks, I often get comments on my sexy rear!

I haven't posted any of the entire setup yet. I'm going to have to clear up some boxes and that before taking a pic. Little messy right now since i've been so busy lately. But for now, to give you an idea, the stand is my desk which also has my slew of external HDD's and computer. Light is my Razor mounted on the ceiling, and most everything is hidden in the chambers, so not much equipment to see. I will post some pics soon though. I should have time this weekend to tidy things up for a photoshoot :P

Looking forward to the pics.

Not 100% decided yet on corals dipping yet. I mean, I will for sure be dipping, and have been eyeing the RPS ALL-OUT but have seen that CoralRX is tried and true from most reviews. I am always up for experienced recommendations though. What do you use?

I've actually never heard of that product. I currently use Revive and have been quite happy with it but I considered switching to CoralRX as it seams like a standard these days. The only issue I've encountered was nudis but Revive took care of the nudis but not the eggs. But I here no dip will kill the eggs. After weeks of dipping, the nudis were done for.

I've actually never heard of that product. I currently use Revive and have been quite happy with it but I considered switching to CoralRX as it seams like a standard these days. The only issue I've encountered was nudis but Revive took care of the nudis but not the eggs. But I here no dip will kill the eggs. After weeks of dipping, the nudis were done for.

It's very new, like under a month new. I'm waiting to hear peoples experiences with it before i make the plunge. It probably wouldn't hurt to use one, then dip with something else a week later.

It's very new, like under a month new. I'm waiting to hear peoples experiences with it before i make the plunge. It probably wouldn't hurt to use one, then dip with something else a week later.

I don't agree. The purpose of the dip is to keep bad guys out of your tank so you only have one chance to dip prior to putting coral into your tank. My example with nudis... I don't know what frag they came in on but I had to dip each and every zoa in my tank for weeks until the eggs stopped hatching. Now in my case introducing eggs probably would have happened regardless of the dip I used but I wanted to post a real life example how easily nasties spread once introduced into your system.

Now I'm not saying don't use that product or to use a specific product but understand you only have one chance to dip prior to putting things in your tank. Many are happy with nothing more then a freshwater dip. There comes a time to experiment but sometimes you just have to go with what works and I think there are several reputable commercially available products with time to back them.

I don't agree. The purpose of the dip is to keep bad guys out of your tank so you only have one chance to dip prior to putting coral into your tank. My example with nudis... I don't know what frag they came in on but I had to dip each and every zoa in my tank for weeks until the eggs stopped hatching. Now in my case introducing eggs probably would have happened regardless of the dip I used but I wanted to post a real life example how easily nasties spread once introduced into your system.

Now I'm not saying don't use that product or to use a specific product but understand you only have one chance to dip prior to putting things in your tank. Many are happy with nothing more then a freshwater dip. There comes a time to experiment but sometimes you just have to go with what works and I think there are several reputable commercially available products with time to back them.

Oh no, you misunderstand. I will be quarantining my corals before adding them to the tank, even after the dip. i probably should have clarified that earlier. So basically:

Acclimate corals and add to the QT

Dip corals

Place back into QT

Observe for AEFW, pests etc..

Dip corals

Observe

possibly dip one more time (or as many times that are required) if any signs of pests etc.. Only when I am sure, will they be added to my system. I have yet to set up a QT, but have time. I'm waiting for a sale on a tank :P

Oh no, you misunderstand. I will be quarantining my corals before adding them to the tank, even after the dip. i probably should have clarified that earlier. So basically:

Acclimate corals and add to the QT

Dip corals

Place back into QT

Observe for AEFW, pests etc..

Dip corals

Observe

possibly dip one more time (or as many times that are required) if any signs of pests etc.. Only when I am sure, will they be added to my system. I have yet to set up a QT, but have time. I'm waiting for a sale on a tank :P

Oh that's right I forgot you said that you will be QT your corals. How long are you going to QT? Heck, I'd have my first batch on QT right now while your tank is cycling so you have something to put in as soon as it's cycled. How slow are you going to get corals? How big of a QT tank? Lighting? What type of filtration? I just don't have the patience to QT corals. I am setting up a barebones frag tank with an AC70 and cree LEDs - mostly LEDs and heat sink and driver that I already had on hand. It's a 5.5g that I bought a long time ago for absolutely no reason. lol I've got an extra piece of live rock in there because everyone I talked to advised me I need some sort of biological filter even on a frag tank. I wonder if this holds true for a QT tank too.

In my experience the #1 reason I regret not QT corals is hitchhiking algae. The frags look spotless only to see something show up later. Maybe I'll toss new corals in the frag tank for a week of observation. I could handle that. :)

Oh that's right I forgot you said that you will be QT your corals. How long are you going to QT? Heck, I'd have my first batch on QT right now while your tank is cycling so you have something to put in as soon as it's cycled. How slow are you going to get corals? How big of a QT tank? Lighting? What type of filtration? I just don't have the patience to QT corals. I am setting up a barebones frag tank with an AC70 and cree LEDs - mostly LEDs and heat sink and driver that I already had on hand. It's a 5.5g that I bought a long time ago for absolutely no reason. lol I've got an extra piece of live rock in there because everyone I talked to advised me I need some sort of biological filter even on a frag tank. I wonder if this holds true for a QT tank too.

In my experience the #1 reason I regret not QT corals is hitchhiking algae. The frags look spotless only to see something show up later. Maybe I'll toss new corals in the frag tank for a week of observation. I could handle that. :)

I was thinking a few weeks for corals. This is a slow build. I really would love to pack it with corals right away, but to be perfectly honest, just don't want to risk it, and funds are tied up to go totally ape right now.

I plan on getting a few frags at a time. I want to order a few online as they have a great selection, so will probably do like 5 or so frags there at once so it's worth the cost in shipping. It really depends on stock as well. Sometimes my LFS has a great selection, and sometimes i walk in, and walk right out as there's nothing appealing.

Well i'm sure it would help to have the liverock in a QT, but as far as i read corals won't produce the same type of levels of ammonia as fish, but frequent water changes will be a must in this case. Besides if I have bare bottom, then I can see any critters scurrying about and SQUASH THEM!!!

Try it out. I know it's going to be a pain in the butt, I just want them ion my tank! But, I think it will be worth it in the end. I'm a pretty patient guy - most of the time... :P

I would go with a shrimp (cleaner shrimp) and maybe a sand sifting star, they can eat food bits left behind from feeding fish. I would not add snails unless there is some algae for then to eat or they may die. Anyway, likely you will have some algae happening until things balance out. I guess I was saying don't add 30 snails right off the bat. I have about 6 Astrea snails, a cleaner shrimp, and two small hermits - at the moment it is more than enough for my 20g.

I would go with a shrimp (cleaner shrimp) and maybe a sand sifting star, they can eat food bits left behind from feeding fish. I would not add snails unless there is some algae for then to eat or they may die. Anyway, likely you will have some algae happening until things balance out. I guess I was saying don't add 30 snails right off the bat. I have about 6 Astrea snails, a cleaner shrimp, and two small hermits - at the moment it is more than enough for my 20g.

Oh that's refreshing to hear. To be honest i'm not crazy about snails anyways :P I was planning on a cleaner shrimp anyways :)

You can also get syringes/needles on amazon. That's where I got mine from

Ah, good to know thanks! :D

I dipped all my recent purchases using the Bayer Insect Killer method and they all are doing great. No problems whatsoever.

You can also get syringes/needles on amazon. That's where I got mine from

lol That's too funny lol

I have needleless syringes I use for measuring but frankly I prefer a good old teaspoon for measuring unless I need precision down to the drop.

Personally the thing I use most is pipettes and it is my preferred tool for feeding. A regular pipette is great for fine foods and for things larger like Mysis you can cut the tip of the pipette up to the next graduation and the larger opening is perfect for target feeding Mysis.

Jordon, this thread's moving soooo quick, I can barely keep up!

I actually have a new Seneye lying around, never used. Was gonna sell it, but after seeing your posts, decided to reconsider. Will probably set it up on the drop-off soon. Hopefully, they'll come out with some good stuff.

I dipped all my recent purchases using the Bayer Insect Killer method and they all are doing great. No problems whatsoever.

I've come across a lot of people having success with this. Is it really any different than the other dips though?

lol That's too funny lol

I have needleless syringes I use for measuring but frankly I prefer a good old teaspoon for measuring unless I need precision down to the drop.

Personally the thing I use most is pipettes and it is my preferred tool for feeding. A regular pipette is great for fine foods and for things larger like Mysis you can cut the tip of the pipette up to the next graduation and the larger opening is perfect for target feeding Mysis.

Ya my baster I have is a little too big if/when I plan to target feed. I think Kent has a feeding one that looks pretty durable.

Jordon, this thread's moving soooo quick, I can barely keep up!

I actually have a new Seneye lying around, never used. Was gonna sell it, but after seeing your posts, decided to reconsider. Will probably set it up on the drop-off soon. Hopefully, they'll come out with some good stuff.

I can't believe it myself! Lots of info mostly with questions and answers, not as many updates as I would like to post. I'lm going to test tonight to see how the cycle is doing, and once ammonia and nitrite has dropped off, will start my Zeo dosing.

Stick to it for now. they have a few updates that I mentioned earlier coming. I did email them for a date or any new info, but they just said they will notify people via email that are signed up with them as well as twitter and all that. So we are all just waiting patiently. I didn't order mine yet, as I don't like how it is windows only right now, and did consider plugging it into an old windows laptop for now, but being that i'm doing my best to conserve power, that wouldn't be in line with my overall vision for this build. Once they have the wifi base station, I will pull the trigger then.

Thanks for popping in :) How are things growing in the drop-off?

Okay guys, so I thought I would test my water tonight, and I am glad i did! So Ammonia is now 0, Nitrites have dropped to nearly undetectable, and Nitrate is up. So technically my cycle is complete. I figure one more day and Nitrites would be 0, but as you can see from the chart in one day ammonia went from 0.05 to 0 and Nitrite went from 0.5 to 0.05

j125wx.png

So since I know my initial nitrifying bacteria population is doing its job, it's time to add a bit of diversity!

I started dosing a few Zeo products today as follows:

• Added 1 drop ZEOfood7
  • Added 1 drop ZEObak
  • Added 0.05ml ZEOstart3

I also added approx. 10 drops of Ammonium Chloride again to bring it up to what should be about 1.

Is it strange that I have not a single spec of Diatoms or Algae? Is this luck, or should I be concerned? It's been nearly a month since the tanks inception :unsure:

Are you running a normal light cycle? My NC12 didn't get the diatoms until I was running a full normal light cycle and that was a month in.

Congrats on the cycle completion!!!! :)

Are you running a normal light cycle? My NC12 didn't get the diatoms until I was running a full normal light cycle and that was a month in.

Congrats on the cycle completion!!!! :)

Thanks gena! I am running a full light cycle. It's not what I would be running if I had SPS mind you. This is what it looks like.

Light Schedule during cycle:

7:00am 0% 1%

10:00am 1% 5%

1:00pm 5% 15%

4:00pm 1% 5%

7:00pm 0% 5%

10:00pm 0% 0%

First column is my A channel (whites) and second column is my B channel (blues)

It's nothing crazy as you can see, but I figure it's enough light for some sort of algae growth. Besides the tank is in my bedroom, and although it doesn't get direct sunlight, my rooms is lit naturally quite well. (Blinds are usually half open)

Haha, I don't know if I should be happy or sad? :P

Maybe it's not intense enough yet??? Who knows...you should probably be happy about it :lol: Diatoms are so ugly.

Its because your lighting isn't intense enough......

Maybe you guys are right. Here's what I was planning running once corals were added to acclimate. Tell me what you think:

7:00am 0% 1%

10:00am 10% 20%

1:00pm 30% 30%

4:00pm 10% 20%

7:00pm 5% 20%

10:00pm 0% 0%

Archived