Top Shelf Aquatics

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

They'll eat anything you put in the water.

Thats good to hear, AoA stocks them regularly so ill snag some next time I'm there.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
eitallent

Haha, "Peacefull, yet poisonous when stressed or dies."

Im actually thinking about getting a pair of neon gobies, always had a thing for them. My only worry is feeding, not sure what they would go after with such tiny mouths.

They'll eat anything you put in the water.

My BNG's eat the same size pieces of clam and shrimp that the larger fish eat. I am always amazed!

My BNG's eat the same size pieces of clam and shrimp that the larger fish eat. I am always amazed!

Wow that is amazing. I feed NLS pellets everyday but I make a mixture of mysis, cyclops, & spirulina from time to time to keep the diet varied. If I get the neons ill probably feed frozen more often.

Do they eat pods at all? That would be a cool plus if they did, my pod population could use some regulating.

Okay quick question for everyone, do you think I should acclimate the corals to the QT tank water and add to QT Tank and dip later, or should I acclimate them to QT tank water, then dip, then add them to the QT Tank?

It's coming!

90oirk.png

jedimasterben

I have never acclimated any corals. Get them home, leave them sitting to let the temperature equalize, dump them and their water into a container, put a bunch of iodine in, let sit for 15 minutes, then take out, rinse off with water, then put into tank. Never lost one from acclimation.

EDIT: and I'll usually also dip them in a peroxide solution, as well, for a few minutes. 40 drops per gallon of iodine, and 50/50 peroxide, in sequence, not all at once.

The later. Just because it's a QT doesn't mean you want to add any undesirables to it. IMHO the main job of the QT for coral should be to ensure a healthy animal prior to adding it to your tank. Pests should hopefully have been removed prior to that. For coral QT would be more important to make sure any infections or diseases don't get into the main tank rather than pests. Of course if any of those get by you, having in QT definitely helps prevent it from getting into the DT before you have a chance to treat it.

Can't wait to see some good pics of what you're getting. Very happy for you sir!

Acclimate to QT, Dip, and then place in QT for observation. Dip again later if needed, or when transferring to your DT.

I float my bags for like 20 minutes, dip, add to tank.

I have never acclimated any corals. Get them home, leave them sitting to let the temperature equalize, dump them and their water into a container, put a bunch of iodine in, let sit for 15 minutes, then take out, rinse off with water, then put into tank. Never lost one from acclimation.

EDIT: and I'll usually also dip them in a peroxide solution, as well, for a few minutes. 40 drops per gallon of iodine, and 50/50 peroxide, in sequence, not all at once.

Acclimate to QT water, dip, then put in QT.

The later. Just because it's a QT doesn't mean you want to add any undesirables to it. IMHO the main job of the QT for coral should be to ensure a healthy animal prior to adding it to your tank. Pests should hopefully have been removed prior to that. For coral QT would be more important to make sure any infections or diseases don't get into the main tank rather than pests. Of course if any of those get by you, having in QT definitely helps prevent it from getting into the DT before you have a chance to treat it.

Can't wait to see some good pics of what you're getting. Very happy for you sir!

Okay consensus is Acclimate to QT Tank water, dip, then add to QT. That's what I originally planned, but just wanted some input. Thanks guys!

Lots of pics to come ;)

Hello .... What is your inventory you ordered :happydance:

- Green/Purple Acropora Solitaryensis

- Pink Acropora Millepora

- Bushy Blue Acropora Tenuis

- Purple Bonsai Valida Acropora

- Acropora Horrida

- Teal Acropora Carolinia

- Blue Acropora Vermiculata

- Green Purple Polyp Acropora Microclados

- Teal/Purple Acropora Echinata

- Purple Acropora Insignis

- Sky Blue Acropora Gomezi

There should be pics of coral by page 35, this thread might hit 100 pages tonight once JDH's loyal followers actually see coral.

There should be pics of coral by page 35, this thread might hit 100 pages tonight once JDH's loyal followers actually see coral.

Hahaha

Can't wait to see pics!

Hahaha

Can't wait to see pics!

Yes, get ready to ooooh and aaaah like you've never seen coral before! :D

Deleted User 4

I've never acclimated my corals either....I've never even let the bag float, only fish/inverts I do but not for corals and never lost a single coral from that.

I used to work at the lfs, they never did such a thing and I inhabited it.

Red_Blenny

For me, I float the bags in the tank to acclimate the temp for 20-30min. After that, I get a container and put 75:25 tank:bag water and then add my dip mix in the container (I use Bayer Insecticide) and let it sit for 5-8min. After that, add into the tank.

Haha thanks guys. I am going to have to split the post up with unboxing, and then corals.

34q1no7.jpg

Wheeee! Presents! Literally after my last post my phone rang for the package :D

35hlod4.jpg

No penguins with ties, Check.

2zge05w.jpg

Nice. They gave me acclimation instructions. I chose to follow them ;)

28luzx2.jpg

Oooooh, Styrofone

142ypm9.jpg

Packed very well so far...

2zex9g5.jpg

Wow! I am impressed with the packing skills ;)

5mio1h.jpg

So neat and tidy! The little black bits at the bottom are carbon. Good idea ;)

358ul2e.jpg

Ruba-dub-dub in the tub. I had to use this (brand new) container, as floating the bags in my Coral QT would spell disaster :P

2ko5z8.jpg

So first, I added about 4 cups worth of water from the Coral QT, for about 20 minutes to acclimate temperature wise. My ambient room temperature was about 78, which is what I keep the tank at anyways.

So, those are the pics of the unboxing. I didn't take any pics of the acclimation process or anything, as my hands were in and out of the tank and acclimation container, but here is what I did:

After acclimating the corals temperature wise, I checked the salinity with my refractometer, it was at 1.026, which is what I made my Coral QT water at yesterday.

Before doing anything else I tested my parameters. They are as follows:

Ammonia: 0.00

Nitrite: 0.00

Nitrate: 0.00

Phosphate: 0.0122

dKH - 8.8

After the 20 minutes passed for acclimating them temp-wise, I removed approx. 1/2 the water from each of the bags, and filled about 100ml with the water from the Coral QT. I repeated the process and added more aquarium water to the bags until they were full. All together the process for equalizing the water in the bags took about an hour. I wanted to take it slow, as Canada Corals mentioned to me that their Alk was a bit on the low side.

The corals were then added to the tank, and after using a fair portion of the tank water, I topped off the Coral QT with freshly mixed saltwater (has been mixing for about 3 hours) taking much care to match the same salinity & temp.

Lights out for minimum 12 hours.

Boom! - Don't worry, nothing exploded. :lol:

Okay, i'll post some pics of the corals, just gimme a few minutes guys.

Archived