Top Shelf Aquatics

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

Jordon, very sorry about your issues... I haven't seen your photos as I'm mobile on reduced bandwidth but... If you remember i suggested testing your tanks with one or two starter corals...i think some of your trouble was your sterile qt tank as well as your super intense par light. Again sorry and good luck. I think you are trying too hard and need to go back to the basics.

Hey Matt, thanks for your kind words.

I realized fairly quick that the QT in this case wasn't the right move. Now that they are in my display tank though, they look much better (well better than before...) and I can be certain of stable params, as i keep a very close watch.

The main trouble just seemed to be stress from shipping. They were quickly declining, but i'm not going to 'wait it out' without trying my best to help them recover :) I don't want to stress them any more than they have been from shipping, so all's I can do now is keep params stable, and feed what I can since they won't be getting much of their usual energy from Photosynthesis (bleaching/lack of zooxanthellae)

I'll keep you guys posted with changes, and hopefully this comes out as a success story!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish u the best of luck! Remember that your only speculating that the problem was stress from shipping. I would reevaluate that conclusion so that your not in the same boat again the next time you have corals shipped. I've had corals shipped under much warmer and much cooler conditions - sps included and they pulled through. I'm not saying this wasn't the cause however you need to learn from this and not make assumptions that could bite you again next time.

I appreciate you trying to do as much as you can but you may be doing too much which isn't good. Just let them be. I strongly recommend you either borrowing a par meter or using a healthy coral to determine your led intensity. Best of luck Jordon!

Well Canada Corals (whom I ordered the corals from) decided to refund me for all the corals due to their condition. They are truly an amazing company, and customer service is the best i've seen!

In other news, I have ordered the correct Zeo Amino Acids concentrate, as well as Fauna Marin Ultra Easy DKH and Calcium for dosing until I get an automated dosing setup in order :ninja: and also the FM Ultra Color Elements (3 pack) <-- this to experiment with after corals are healthy.

I am thinking about getting a fish (TSB) as well as a cleaner shrimp and feather duster.

I am thinking about getting a fish (TSB) as well as a cleaner shrimp and feather duster.

Ive been trying to find a tsb forever...

Ive been trying to find a tsb forever...

Everytime I visit the LFS, they are always like "Oh we sold the last one 2 days ago"

BLAST!!! I'm going to see if I can have them hold one, as it's near impossible for me to go throughout the week.

Deleted User 4

Wow, they refunded you? Nice! I'm happy for you. That's amazing ahah. Was it really the stress from shipping though? Because it didn't seem so much to me, when I saw your pictures of the sps corals which arrived, they seemed fine except for that one bleached piece.

Wow, they refunded you? Nice! I'm happy for you. That's amazing ahah. Was it really the stress from shipping though? Because it didn't seem so much to me, when I saw your pictures of the sps corals which arrived, they seemed fine except for that one bleached piece.

I gave them full disclosure. The corals did look a lot better from the start, but how fast they declined vs my params and care just didn't make sense. Not to mention the tissue on the surviving corals has turned a swampy green color. No it's not algae either, and I can't find an explanation for that anywhere. I even stumped Albert Thiel :P

Here's one of the healthier corals, and the 'green color' I was speaking of.

5mi91f.jpg

Deleted User 4

I see. Well, I'm glad everything's worked out at the end of it. So the next time you get a shipment, you're not going to place the sps corals in the qt tank 1st right?

Also, I'm not sure if you have read this somewhere but I did have some lfs tell me that if I were to ever add newly bought sps corals for the tank, they always preferred being placed at the bottom of the tank. And then gradually, move it a bit onto the upper grounds every 1-3 days. Not sure if this really helps but anyone else want to chime in? lol

I gave them full disclosure. The corals did look a lot better from the start, but how fast they declined vs my params and care just didn't make sense. Not to mention the tissue on the surviving corals has turned a swampy green color. No it's not algae either, and I can't find an explanation for that anywhere. I even stumped Albert Thiel :P

Lol, that's developing algae imo.

I see. Well, I'm glad everything's worked out at the end of it. So the next time you get a shipment, you're not going to place the sps corals in the qt tank 1st right?

Also, I'm not sure if you have read this somewhere but I did have some lfs tell me that if I were to ever add newly bought sps corals for the tank, they always preferred being placed at the bottom of the tank. And then gradually, move it a bit onto the upper grounds every 1-3 days. Not sure if this really helps but anyone else want to chime in? lol

You're right.

I suppose in the future, i'm going to dip then add. The reason they are still on the sandbed, is I don't want to chance them bleaching. If they brown out, great. Any more loss of zooxanthellae in some of them, and they are for sure goners. I rather a brown coral, than a bleached one. I don't mind if it takes months to color back up. My main concern right now is health :D

jedimasterben

2 to 3 days. Corals need time to digest. Every day is just making your water dirty honestly

So you're saying that corals can't process food for 48-72 hours? Yeah right. If they can't eat constantly, then why do they extend their polyps at all during the time after they have eaten?

JDH, feed daily in small amounts and work you way up, and stop worrying so much about testing nitrate and phosphate so soon after - you're going to get readings and will want to act on them, which will disrupt your system (be as hands-off as possible, this is something I learned after a year of meddling almost daily, and watching my system start to fail on a catastrophic level). You're running a ULNS already if you've been adding a carbon source, and your corals are already struggling as it is.

Corals need to be fed and they need dissolved nutrients in the water, something that your tank lacks a lot of at this point. Amino acids break down rapidly into different proteins, and corals reaction to most is to extend their polyps to feed. The amino acids themselves are not food, and you should be adding some kind of small-particulate foods a few hours after the amino acid supplement.

5mi91f.jpg

They've ALL turned that color? That's very strange. Can you post pics of the others and their current condition.?

jedimasterben

Not to mention the tissue on the surviving corals has turned a swampy green color. No it's not algae either

In my experience, corals that undergo this have died completely. In my system's healthy days, corals from 'before' that that had happened did not come back.

They've ALL turned that color? That's very strange. Can you post pics of the others and their current condition.?

5fotuw.jpg

Have you checked your iron or mag?

I don't have a test kit for iron, but mag is at ~1300

Dat not good

Also what the #### is a TSB?

Tail Spot Blenny.

jedimasterben

Take one of the frags out and put it into a 50/50 solution of your tank water and 3% peroxide for a couple of minutes and see what happens. If it bubbles like crazy, then it's algae on the corals that it is oxidizing.

If anything, if I can bring these back and this tragedy could be a success story, then many more may benefit from it :)

If not. Oh well. :rolleyes::lol:

Its tough keeping a positive attitude, but you guys help :happy:

If anything, if I can bring these back and this tragedy could be a success story, then many more may benefit from it :)

If not. Oh well. :rolleyes::lol:

Its tough keeping a positive attitude, but you guys help :happy:

STAY STRONG BROTHER!!

I bought a random $10 acro frag, it wasn't doing too hot (not enough flow and lighting). And after I put it in better conditions, it went from white to green like yours. Been like that for over a week now, can't tell if it's improving or not, but sounds very similar to yours.

Deckoz2302

Yoi need to feed more than that. Your not even putting 1ml of liquid food in. 10gal can process that 0.3ml of drops in probably 2 hours, also....the green is green coralline algae....

Archived