ReefCleaners.org

JK's Custom 135g Lagoon Style

JKUNZ

Well....after almost a year of planning, designing, waiting....I have my custom 135gallon in possession! Now I'm just finishing the wall that the tank will go on, with my goal to have the tank running by September.

Here are some pics to give the proper introduction to the set-up.

Here's the stand I built quite awhile ago, relatively in it's final location in the basement. As you can see the wall is framed and awaiting drywall:

135gAquarium002.jpg

This is a storage room (about twenty five feet from the display tank) that connects to the sump pump room. I plan on making this my loaction for an automatic top off reservoir and salt mixing/auto water change basins:

135gAquarium001.jpg

Now the pics of the tank and goodies. I havn't taken the plastic wrap off the tank yet (still protecting it until it's set up), but this shows the skimmer, pumps, lights, mudd, boxes of live sand, calcium reactor, sump,

etc. All awaiting a set-up!

135gAquarium004.jpg

135gAquarium005.jpg

135gAquarium006.jpg

135gAquarium007-1.jpg

135gAquarium008.jpg

135gAquarium009.jpg

135gAquarium003.jpg

...stay tuned for updates through out the month!!!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EXCELLENT!!!! I am watching for that tank to be ready....I Got Goodies!!!!

Just a teaser or two.....

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

Those are going to look outstanding in there.....

You're right Mitch....those will look HAPPY in there!!! Can't Wait!

By the by.....I'm thinking I may do a foam/rock wall on the back wall.....thoughts??? I thought it would finish off the "lagoon" feel rather nicely.

simplenough

Personally, i think it might take away from the sleek rimless look of the aquarium, since most rimless aquariums have an "open" look to it, usually with less rock and a foam wall might take that away...but thats just my opinion, im sure others will chime in..

Personally, i think it might take away from the sleek rimless look of the aquarium, since most rimless aquariums have an "open" look to it, usually with less rock and a foam wall might take that away...but thats just my opinion, im sure others will chime in..

Well I certainly appreciate the opinion!

My concern centers around the fact that the tank was built as a peninsula style, but now that I'm in my new house, it doesn't allow room for the tank to be set-up peninsula style, so the tank will be in a corner, with the short over flow side (black acrylic) against one wall, and one of the long open sides against the other wall.

This has left me with three reasonable solutions for the clear back wall:

1) Mirror behind it (basically already cancelled out this option)

2) Black out the back wall

3) Foam/Rock wall both the back wall and overflow wall for a total lagoon feel.

Thoughts?? Maybe I'll start a poll on this!

Thanks All!

Always been a fan of rock walls myself and I never really liked blacking out a back. The tank looks nice and you got lots of goodies there. Kind of makes me want to set up another one lol.

Always been a fan of rock walls myself and I never really liked blacking out a back. The tank looks nice and you got lots of goodies there. Kind of makes me want to set up another one lol.

Thank you for the thoughts!

Nick's Reef

I vote no foam wall, it will make mitch's happy corals pissed off corals. Mine leached stuff and caused algae and everyone else that I know who had one took it down.

I vote no foam wall, it will make mitch's happy corals pissed off corals. Mine leached stuff and caused algae and everyone else that I know who had one took it down.

Really? Last thing I want is to piss of happy corals. I didn't know they leach....that's a rather heavy weighing factor. Thank you for the insight Nick!

Nick's Reef

Yeah I lost almost all my acors and monts beacuse of light shock but the foam wall leached stuff that caused algae so the ones that might've made it got smothered by cyano. :angry:

Yeah I lost almost all my acors and monts beacuse of light shock but the foam wall leached stuff that caused algae so the ones that might've made it got smothered by cyano. :angry:

Definately not something I want to deal with. Thanks for the heads up!

That's not the first time I've heard that....

I would have to figure a way to do the peninsula thing....I love mine....otherwise, I always go with black....

You're right Mitch....those will look HAPPY in there!!! Can't Wait!

By the by.....I'm thinking I may do a foam/rock wall on the back wall.....thoughts??? I thought it would finish off the "lagoon" feel rather nicely.

I would think twice about that if i were you.

I've been hearing some recent stuff from ppl who have made rock walls who feel that the Great Stuff used in making them has leached stuff into their tank.

I would think twice about that if i were you.

I've been hearing some recent stuff from ppl who have made rock walls who feel that the Great Stuff used in making them has leached stuff into their tank.

That's what I've been hearing too. I'm glad I asked! Thanks for the insight!

Has anyone tried making a rock wall out of drilled rocks and acrylic rods, or rocks and zipties? Hmm... nevermind, forget I said that. :ninja:

What are the specs on the tank. I am in the process or planning my upgrade too.

-Dave

T

It's 56 x 24 and 22 tall. I went with rimless but had a small quarter inch lip affixed 1/4 inch down the interior wall all around for egg crate support, in the casei have jumpers. This way the crate will sit below the rim, flush, and not on top.

The acrylic/rock wall could actually work, using aquarium epoxy and cancelling out the foam.

• 2 months later...

The tank is filled and operational!!! (Almost fully opeartional anyway, still have to wire everything, program the controller, hang the lights....oy, my list is growing) Here're some sneak peaks of the tank with the cloudy waters....6 bags of livesand will do that. It's all clear now, I'm just yet to take a pic. I'll update a photo of the rock scape later tonight.

The tank:

135g002.jpg

Fuge:

135g003.jpg

Water Change Room, all plumbed directly to the system:

135g001.jpg

When I redid the basement, I actually built in a waste drain coming out of the tanks sump, so no more buckets o' water!

Thanks for taking a look, I'll update again very soon. Mitch, hope those corals are happy!!!

I'm tickled to see that thing finally coming together, and I know you are ready to see it put together, so the fun part can start....You are absolutely not going to believe a couple of your frags....The Acropora desalwii isn't even what I would call a "Mini" Colony anymore...It's huge!!!

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

Keep in mind that's a big hand...I wear a size 12 Wedding Ring and XL Harley Mens gloves!!

Those were taken out of the tank, under just the actinic T5, as I was holding it outside the hood for the pics....

Oh man that frag is HUGE!!! I can't wait! I'm still messing around with the aquascaping in the tank, and aiming to give it a few weeks and a few water changes before even thinking about adding any livestock. Luckily the rock was well cured and everything seems to be settling in well.

If the sand settles AGAIN tonight, I'll get some pics of what I have so far in terms of an aquascape.

Can't wait for those frags Mitch!

I'm tickled to see that thing finally coming together, and I know you are ready to see it put together, so the fun part can start....You are absolutely not going to believe a couple of your frags....The Acropora desalwii isn't even what I would call a "Mini" Colony anymore...It's huge!!!

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

Keep in mind that's a big hand...I wear a size 12 Wedding Ring and XL Harley Mens gloves!!

Those were taken out of the tank, under just the actinic T5, as I was holding it outside the hood for the pics....

I CAN HAZ FRAGZ PLEASH? :D

thats an awesome piece man! ;)

Hey Nate, you gotta realize that I cut this for him on 2/16/09 and I've been growing it out for him....I got this order before JK ordered his tank if I'm not mistaken....Here it was on Feb 17, 09....

IMG_0769a.jpg

It started out humble, but grew out like a rocket....Realize too that most frags ever offered of a true Acropora desalwii are usually 1/2 inch single-branch....Also be aware that this isn't a $20 frag either!

I believe in generous frags!!!!

Archived