ReefCleaners.org

JK's Custom 135g Lagoon Style

JKUNZ

Here're some more pics of the tank, with the sand having settled, and I was able to set up some of the rock. I also have another 40lbs coming from my existing 25g to add to this, with coral.

135g004.jpg

135g005.jpg

The UV Sterilizer....

135g006.jpg

A view of the main retunr pump, plumbing, fuge...

135g007.jpg

135g009.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot to point out the Blue Spot Jaw house I made....I didn't take pictures of the construction, but basically I made a PVC ring, cut small vent holes and a large one for the "barnacle doorway."

Below you can see the Barnacles sticking out of the sand, the house is burried beneath the sand and live rock....

135g004-1.jpg

Some more pics...this time with the lights hung, aquacontroller up and running, skimmer doing its job, uv sterilizer operational....etc etc.

Here's a few with both MH and T5's on... (you can see the fuge light is on as well, the doors are a work in progress)

135g010.jpg

135g012.jpg

135g013.jpg

T5's only....

135g014.jpg

Night lights only...

135g016.jpg

EDIT: The cords look messy now, but I'm building a hood to hang from the celing, breathable doors for the stand, and a false wall hiding the cords where they drop down. In the end, it should be a clean, cord free, look.

I just wanted to get a livestock list down, so I can tweak it and get feedback.

Here're my thoughts as to what I'll have:

TANGS:

Hippo Tang (Getting from my buddies 65g)

Blonde Naso Tang

Powder Blue Tang

Purple Tang (will be one of the last fish introduced)

ANTHIAS:

Small group of Fiji Lyretails (or something similar)

CHROMIS:

Group of Blue Chromis

CLOWNS:

4 True Percs (Transferring from existing tank)

GOBY:

Randall (and Tiger Pistol, transferring from existing tank)

Yellow Clown Goby (Transferring from existing tank)

Neon Goby (maybe 2)

MISC.

Blue Spot Jaw Fish (Built a PVC house for him already, shown in previous pics)

Mystery Wrasse

Mandarin (once tank is past 6 to 8 months old)

Algae Blenny (undetermined)

Copperband Butterfly Fish (once tank is established fully)

INVERTS:

Besides the basic cleaner crew, and acro. crabs from existing tank, unsure what I will add. Possibly a starfish.

Any thoughts? Concerns? ideas?

Thank you,

J

I just wanted to get a livestock list down, so I can tweak it and get feedback.

Here're my thoughts as to what I'll have:

TANGS:

Hippo Tang (Getting from my buddies 65g)

Powder Blue Tang

CHROMIS:

Group of Blue Chromis

CLOWNS:

4 True Percs (Transferring from existing tank)

GOBY:

Randall (and Tiger Pistol, transferring from existing tank)

Yellow Clown Goby (Transferring from existing tank)

Neon Goby (maybe 2)

MISC.

Blue Spot Jaw Fish (Built a PVC house for him already, shown in previous pics)

Mystery Wrasse Choris or banana would be my choices

Mandarin (once tank is past 6 to 8 months old)

INVERTS:

Besides the basic cleaner crew, and acro. crabs from existing tank, unsure what I will add. Possibly a starfish.

You could add a tiger tail 'cuke, if you wanted to.

Just an edited list of what I would do. It's based off observation of lots of tanks that stores and people have owned as well as my personal taste in fish looks :P

Just an edited list of what I would do. It's based off observation of lots of tanks that stores and people have owned as well as my personal taste in fish looks :P

Thanks PB! I appreciate the opinion!

Go for the Purple Tang instead of the Powder Blue....much better looking and they are absolute algae MOWERS!!!!

Powder Blues are too ich prone for me....

Hey, and BTW....I would love to see a couple pics of your old tank...I want to see how overgrown it is..... :DB)

Go for the Purple Tang instead of the Powder Blue....much better looking and they are absolute algae MOWERS!!!!

Powder Blues are too ich prone for me....

Hey, and BTW....I would love to see a couple pics of your old tank...I want to see how overgrown it is..... :DB)

I will update some pics of the 25 before I break it down. Unfortunately I'll be out of town for a week so it won't be for another week.

I'm definately getting a Purple Tang, and will consider not getting the powder blue. I hope my UV sterilizer helps ward off ich regardless, but time will tell.

How does the rest of my original stocking scheme look to you?

HOLYCRAP!

What D'I do NOW??!?!??

Remember Kunz....a bunch of folks here are really only used to seeing big tanks on the web....That's a pretty amazing setup beside a regular nanocube....not meaning to slight, but this build would pop some folks' eyes out....

I know I'm impressed..... B)

Remember Kunz....a bunch of folks here are really only used to seeing big tanks on the web....That's a pretty amazing setup beside a regular nanocube....not meaning to slight, but this build would pop some folks' eyes out....

I know I'm impressed..... B)

Thank Mitch....Impressing you seems impossible, considering I get nearly every coral from YOU! But thank you, quite the compliment!

Real cool. New tanks make me feel happy. :)

Thanks!!

So I have a few new pics.....I bought 20 more lbs of live rock, and spent a few hours aquascaping. Here's how it turned out. (Keep in mind that I still have 30+ more pounds of rock coming from my 25gallon in the next few weeks, and I plan on building all of that up on the right hand side.)

Here's a half way done aquascaping shot....

IMG_2586.jpg

And the final product, at least for now....

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!

The tank will be establishing for another week, maybe more, before any further additions, but stay tuned for transferring the 25 gallon and new livestock!!!

love the new rocks in the tank makes it look a lot better than before.

Thank you, and I agree! I was just waiting to find the right rocks for what I wanted to do...the base rocks didn't matter much. Plus, in a few weeks there will be 30 more pounds of rock coming over from my nano. That should definitely bulk the tank up a bit.

Hey Nate, you gotta realize that I cut this for him on 2/16/09 and I've been growing it out for him....I got this order before JK ordered his tank if I'm not mistaken....Here it was on Feb 17, 09....

IMG_0769a.jpg

It started out humble, but grew out like a rocket....Realize too that most frags ever offered of a true Acropora desalwii are usually 1/2 inch single-branch....Also be aware that this isn't a $20 frag either!

I believe in generous frags!!!!

:blink:

wow. now thats real devotion...and trust.

anyways i didnt realize that this wasnt your thread Mitch...my bad.

i get where your coming from though...and its a beautiful peice! :D

Thank Mitch....Impressing you seems impossible, considering I get nearly every coral from YOU! But thank you, quite the compliment!

Thanks!!

So I have a few new pics.....I bought 20 more lbs of live rock, and spent a few hours aquascaping. Here's how it turned out. (Keep in mind that I still have 30+ more pounds of rock coming from my 25gallon in the next few weeks, and I plan on building all of that up on the right hand side.)

Here's a half way done aquascaping shot....

IMG_2586.jpg

And the final product, at least for now....

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!

The tank will be establishing for another week, maybe more, before any further additions, but stay tuned for transferring the 25 gallon and new livestock!!!

you tank is looking AWESOME JK. :D

love the rockwork ;)

keep up teh good workz and put some coral in thar quick! :P

:blink:

wow. now thats real devotion...and trust.

anyways i didnt realize that this wasnt your thread Mitch...my bad.

i get where your coming from though...and its a beautiful peice! :D

Mitch and I seem to frequent eachothers threads often....plus he knows I'll keep coming back for more fragz so long as he puts up with my 9 month old order due to tank building! :D

instead of getting a lot of those fish, you could get

a golden dwarf moray eel

which are awesome and completely reef safe with almost any fish.

edit: nm rehypes has one.

Those are awesome, but expensive! I'll keep him in mind, maybe switch things up down the road.

you tank is looking AWESOME JK. :D

love the rockwork ;)

keep up teh good workz and put some coral in thar quick! :P

Thanks Nate! Just looking forward now to transferring over the nano and receiving some happy corals from Mitch!

Happy Corals ROCK!!!!

I am still tickled by just how much growth I've seen from the desalwii and the chesterfieldensis....that one is going to blow you away...it's not as big as te desalwii, but is a mini colony on its own....but the color is amazing....unfortunately it is impossible to get on film....it's the brightest single item in my entire tank....and prolly will be for you too....

Happy Corals ROCK!!!!

I am still tickled by just how much growth I've seen from the desalwii and the chesterfieldensis....that one is going to blow you away...it's not as big as te desalwii, but is a mini colony on its own....but the color is amazing....unfortunately it is impossible to get on film....it's the brightest single item in my entire tank....and prolly will be for you too....

See now you're just teasing! :lol: Especially considering I have to wait a few weeks until we can finalize this. Oh well.....they'll be here soon enough. can't afford to rush things at this point.

I dug up an old thread I had showing the stand build and tank design....thought it might be nice to have a link to it on here....

Stand Build and CAD Design

Take a look if you'd like.

Ok, so I got a little more camera happy today.....so here're some more shots of the rock work! It's amazing what excites a reefer!!! ;)

Plus I'll be gone for a week so this is my last chance to admire my tank....

IMG_2590.jpg

IMG_2591.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2594.jpg

Oh, and yesterday I went and picked out my blue spot jawfish, the lfs had three beautiful ones they brought in for me to choose from....now my guy's on hold until the tank is ready for his arrival. He'll be on of the first ones in to establish his turf and hopefully keep him from carpet surfing. Eggcrate should hold him in regardless.

That link is great....I remember being impressed with the stand build....That was FEBRUARY!!!!!!!

Just curious, What is your lighting made up of?

That link is great....I remember being impressed with the stand build....That was FEBRUARY!!!!!!!

Just curious, What is your lighting made up of?

The lighting is the 4 foot outer orbit, 2 150wmh (phoenix 14k) and 4 4foot T5's (2x460 and 2x420)

The pics haven't done much justice for the actual coloration of the lights, but it's the same set-up I have on the 25, just a larger scale. I've had great success with these over the years. Plus the water is kinda murky in the last pics of the new aquascape due to all the stirring. Should settle nicely, plus that euroreef skimmer is working wonders.

edit: forgot to mention that the lights also have 9 blue leds for night lights (whites also, but I don't use them)

Archived