Cultivated Reef

JK's Custom 135g Lagoon Style

JKUNZ

Just a quick update.....water test turned out good, everything appears to be stable. I also added a partial cuc, considering their isn't much algae or anything in the tank, I decided to add the cuc over time instead of all at once.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looking nice so far.

that rock structure that looks like a cave in the middle is the same as i set up in my hex. :D just picture the hex sides around it.

i will be following along to see what you do with it!

chachi

looking nice so far.

that rock structure that looks like a cave in the middle is the same as i set up in my hex. :D just picture the hex sides around it.

i will be following along to see what you do with it!

chachi

Thanks! I'll have to check out your tank to see the cave!!

I added a yellow clown goby today, along with chaeto in the fuge, and a few corals from the 25gallon to see how they hold up. The water is testing fine, and I should be safe to begin transferring the 25 over, but want to try to take it slow.

More pics to follow of the additions.

While I wait for pics to upload, I thought I'd do a quick update. Yesterday I broke down my 25gallon hex and moved everything over to the new system. This week I also acquired a few new specimen for the tank.

My current stocking is as follows:

Fish:

Blue Spot Jawfish

Copperband Butterfly Fish

3 Female Fiji LyreTail Anthias (Male will be in Monday)

2 Yellow Clown Goby (One transferred from the 25g)

4 True Percs (All Transferred from the 25g)

Randall Goby and Pistol Shrimp (Both Transferred from the 25g)

***Sixline (Currently residing in the 20g Fuge section of the 50g sump, transferred from the 25g, but will be taken to LFS this week)

Inverts:

A plethora of Nassarius and misc. Snails

30 plus red legged crabs

1 Acropora Crab

4 Peppermint Shrimp

1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp (noted above as well)

Corals: ALL CORALS CAME FROM THE 25g, and includes....

Five types of Acans

Three types of Blastos

Three colorations of Dendros

Yellow Sea Fan

15 types of Acro

Various Monti, including sunset, superman, poker star, etc.

Misc. Polyps

20 head duncan

Ricordea rock with 5 different colorations

2 Frogspawns

and the list goes on....I will break down exact types as time goes on.

But now, the fun stuff......updated pics!!!!

FTS 11-15-09

DSC00889.jpg

DSC00890.jpg

Anthias

DSC00891.jpg

DSC00893.jpg

DSC00894.jpg

DSC00895.jpg

DSC00915.jpg

DSC00913.jpg

DSC00909.jpg

DSC00910.jpg

End View:

DSC00911.jpg

DSC00912.jpg

DSC00908.jpg

DSC00903.jpg

DSC00901.jpg

Hope that was enough pics for now!!!

WOW!!!! That was one Packed to Pop 25 gallon tank....I still wanna see that Superman again!

Yes, the 25 had been left alone basically since June, and everything exploded in growth. Take a look at that last photo, nearly dead center in the shot is the superman. I will get a close up tomorrow for you.

This tank kicks serious booty. :o

Thanks!!! :D

edit: I forgot to mention a few headaches thus far....the pump for the euroreef protein skimmer didn't work upon delivery, along with the pH probe, and original Heater. The new probe and skimmer pump will be in tomorrow, and the water should clear up quickly again once everything settles from the transfer and lack of the skimmer. It's kinda merky now, as the photos showed.

Take a look at that last photo, nearly dead center in the shot is the superman. I will get a close up tomorrow for you.

WOW!!!! I saw that piece in the pictures and never imagined that was it!!!! That thing is OUTSTANDING!!!!

WOW!!!! I saw that piece in the pictures and never imagined that was it!!!! That thing is OUTSTANDING!!!!

Ya, He's HUGE! I'll get a close up.....but basically all of the montis exploded and the Superman is easily three and half inches across now, even after I fragged him probably nine months ago in an attempt to keep him from growing onto surrounding montis. After that failed attempt I just let him go!!!

i hope the egg crate is only temporary since its greatly reduced the light output

It is temporary, I'm building a hanging canopy which will negate the need for the eggcrate.

Just another quick update....

Tomorrow I have a clean up crew, atleast the second half of it, including nassarius, scarlet red hermits, one orange starfish, fighting conch, and more!

Saturday I have a shipping of HAPPY CORALS coming from Mitch! Can't wait! (Maybe he'll give us all sneak peek of what will be in da' box!) It's been so long since this transaction originated that it's basically going to be a surprise!!!

Stay tuned for more pics of the new frags this weekend!

-J

I received my new frags from Mitch today, and man are they sweet!!! I got a Acro Desalwii Mini-Colony, Acro Chesterfieldensis, Pavona Maldivensis, ORA Blue Acro Mille, Appleberry Monti palawensis and a "Jack's Purple Slimer." Let's get straight to the pictures!!!

DSC00918.jpg

DSC00919.jpg

DSC00921.jpg

DSC00922.jpg

DSC00923.jpg

DSC00926.jpg

DSC00942.jpg

Here are two of the female anthias that always seem to think it's dinner time!

DSC00937.jpg

And the original superman from Mitch, now VERY large!

DSC00938.jpg

And a few frags that came off the Superman...

DSC00940.jpg

DSC00941.jpg

Thanks MITCH!! These frags look awesome!

Those are some Happy looking Corals indeed....and those were in my tank in Florida just last afternoon!!!! Amazing, if I may say so....

They showed polyps almost immediately!!! Talk about Happy!

Did you see the pic of the YCG on the Original Superman Frag I got from you??? I thought you'd enjoy the close up! I'll get a better shot once I unpack my dive camera.

Yeah, I saw that pic...I'm guessing that's the little guy you had living in your sump? It's great when you find something like that.

I am always tickled to hear about corals arriving Happy. The ORA Blue mille and the Acropora desalwii are some PE Fools, aren't they!!!???

Yeah, I saw that pic...I'm guessing that's the little guy you had living in your sump? It's great when you find something like that.

I am always tickled to hear about corals arriving Happy. The ORA Blue mille and the Acropora desalwii are some PE Fools, aren't they!!!???

Actually the YCG pictured is the other one. There is still one living in the sump. He made it down the overflow, through the refugium chamber, through the bio-balls, and now lives in the small chamber that plumbs into the return pump. I also have a sixline that lives in the fuge.

Awesome looking tank! I just read the whole thread, and it's coming together quite nicely.

How is your water reservoir plumped into your tank?

Also, I noticed you have two valleys right where the MHs are, was that done on purpose? Usually I see people packing the rocks right underneath the lights to get max exposure.

I'm learning from you for when I do a big build. ;)

Awesome looking tank! I just read the whole thread, and it's coming together quite nicely.

How is your water reservoir plumped into your tank?

Also, I noticed you have two valleys right where the MHs are, was that done on purpose? Usually I see people packing the rocks right underneath the lights to get max exposure.

I'm learning from you for when I do a big build. ;)

Thanks Colione!

The water change reservoir is plumbed with two lines, 1 for water changes and 1 for fresh water top off (which actually draws directly from the RODI). The plumbing goes through the ceiling and back down to the tank, I installed it while finishing off my basement.

In terms of the lights and valleys, since there are two lights, there cross over occurs in the center of the tank, where I positioned my main SPS mountain. From there I built up the rest on pure asthetics, but the SPS and high light required corals are all kept within close proximity to the lighting.

Thanks for tagging along, I should be adding more over the next few weeks!

• 2 months later...

Well, a somber update....

On January 5th we had a pipe rupture in the basement (thanks Winter) which was a line running to an outdoor hose bib. The basement then flooded and as luck would have it, the pipe ruptured directly behind the tank!

Long story short, we had to do an emergency move of the tank and get it across the room so the floor and walls could be repaired. The move caused a tremendous deal of stress on the system, and I lost nearly all of my sps, and a number of fish. I've kept the system running, and plan to move it back to its original, and final, location in mid March. Hopefully things can re-settle and I'll start the building process again from there.

I'll have pics up soon....this did give me a chance to tile under the tank and adjust some framing to better suit the aquarium set-up.

• 3 weeks later...

Another quick update....

The new stand (to replace the stand damaged in the flood this past January) is done and in place, and we've improved the design since the original stand. The tank and entire system is scheduled to be moved to the new stand and it'd permenant location this Friday!

I can't wait to get all of this moving done and get back to reefing!

I'm looking forward to you getting back in....this HAS TO suck............

FABULOUS, thanks for sharing. This is very inspirational. I really like these time-line threads

I'm looking forward to you getting back in....this HAS TO suck............

You have no idea.

I lost 35 plus SPS, multiple acans, and all of my fish (including two rather expensive ones). I now have my fiances true perc pair and anemone in the 135, doing well.

On the plus side, the tank will be permanently back up tomorrow, there's a new improved stand, my original aqua controller II was ruined in the great flood, so now I have the new aqua controller APEX unit, which is awesome. We may have to tear down the rock structures for this move, which we didn't have to do for the January emergency move. If that's the case, looks like i'll be re-aquascaping.

Mitch, what type of frags you got for me? :) I need 'em all!!!!

Good news, finally! We got the tank relocated, and re-aquascaped, on it's new stand!Here's some pics showing off the new digs....

DSC01022.jpg

DSC01023.jpg

DSC01024.jpg

Doors on and fuge lights on...

DSC01025.jpg

Aquascaping....new heights

DSC01026.jpg

DSC01027.jpg

DSC01028.jpg

DSC01029.jpg

And finally the fuge....

DSC01031.jpg