Top Shelf Aquatics

JK's Custom 135g Lagoon Style

JKUNZ

Awesome tank, I really love the aquascaping. Good choice on the Phoenix bulbs, I'm about to buy another set soon.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome tank, I really love the aquascaping. Good choice on the Phoenix bulbs, I'm about to buy another set soon.

Thanks JT....I love the phoenix bulbs as well, and have been loyal to their 14k for some time now.

It's time for me to re-vamp my fish stocking plans, and I could use some help...

Current Stock Includes:

2 True Percs

1 Blue Spot Jawfish

1 Chevron Tang

2 Cleaner Shrimp

1 Pep Shrimp

CUC

2 Strawberry Crabs

1 Acro Crab

FUTURE LIVESTOCK: ***This is where I need Input***

I'd like to add 1 or 2 more tangs over time; any suggestions keeping in mind I already have a Chevron?

Anthias: I'm thinking of getting a new Male Fiji Lyretail, and 3 to 4 females. Thoughts?? (Note of interest, I'll be honeymooning in FIJI in six months!!!!)

2 Yellow Clown Gobies

2 Red Mandarins (ORA when they become available)

1 Copperband Butterfly fish (I'm a sucker for these guys)

Possibly a small school (3-5) of Chromis. (I really want the reef community look)

Any other suggestions to achieve a "peaceful" schooling reef feel???

Thanks in advance for any help!

J

A few inquiries on tangs....any thoughts on these>>>

Powder Blue & Gold Rim Tang Hybrid:

PowderBlueGoldRimTangHybrid.jpg

Unicorn Tang:

naso_unicornis.jpg

Thoughts??

I personally would lean more toward a Blonde Naso than the Unicorn. A Copperband should keep you aiptasia free. There's a hidden advantage! I really like my Blue Chromis's. They are constantly doing mating gestures. I guess that's what it is. They get ALL colored up and "Kiss"...no kidding, looks just like they're kissing.

I personally would lean more toward a Blonde Naso than the Unicorn. A Copperband should keep you aiptasia free. There's a hidden advantage! I really like my Blue Chromis's. They are constantly doing mating gestures. I guess that's what it is. They get ALL colored up and "Kiss"...no kidding, looks just like they're kissing.

I do want some chromis's a well....although I prefer the darker blue ones with the touch of black on their domes. I forget to add to the wish-list, a mystery wrasse, of course. :)

I originally wanted a Blonde Naso....for some reason I've grown away from them. Maybe a Red Sea Sailfin?

Make sure that nobody has real similar shape or colors. Either one can make an otherwise peaceful tang get all aggressive.....

Make sure that nobody has real similar shape or colors. Either one can make an otherwise peaceful tang get all aggressive.....

Yes, I know....hence why I want to plan out what tangs I'll add and in what order. I've read in quite a few places that Hippo Tangs are great peace keepers, and will go as far as swimming between two "fighting" tangs.

• 3 months later...
nice build (& rebuild) ... anything new?

I do have quite a bit to update....stay tuned. I'll add pictures and status updates later today!

As promised, here's an update:

The APEX is fully operational, and I've pretty much mastered it's features. I also have a 1/5hp Tradewinds chiller enroute.

Fish Livestock Update:

Mystery Wrasse

Sailfin Tang

Hippo Tang

Chevron Tang

Pair of True Percs

Blue Spot Jaw Fish

1 Mail Lyretail Anthia, 3 Females

Randalls Goby

And now for some pics:

DSC01628.jpg

DSC01633.jpg

DSC01630.jpg

DSC01647.jpg

DSC01649.jpg

DSC01641.jpg

And a few of the Blastos.....The Mitch special is doing well...

DSC01636.jpg

DSC01635.jpg

DSC01634.jpg

Thanks for looking.

-J

Looking good. I love that Blasto. It is now known as Mitch's Skitzo Blasto! Named by a licensed Aquaculturalist friend who grows it for resale. I just moved over the weekend and the tank seems to be doing well with the exception of my Acropora desalwii colony which RTN'ed. I chopped it up so hopefully some of the frags will make it.

Anyway, I really like what you've done with yours. Sorry about the hijack.

Mitch

Looking good. I love that Blasto. It is now known as Mitch's Skitzo Blasto! Named by a licensed Aquaculturalist friend who grows it for resale. I just moved over the weekend and the tank seems to be doing well with the exception of my Acropora desalwii colony which RTN'ed. I chopped it up so hopefully some of the frags will make it.

Anyway, I really like what you've done with yours. Sorry about the hijack.

Mitch

Mitch,

You're feedback and comments are always welcomed!!! Where'd you move to?? Let me know when you've got frags. I still need to stock some more corals.

J

Almost a near disaster today.......

I came home to an 85 degree house (90plus outside), the ac blew a fuse, and the tank was up to 80 and rising. Luckily I got the ac back on and in an hour the house was cooled back off and the tank peaked at about 81 (with a large box fan blowing into the sump) and is now back down to 79.3 and dropping. Hoping it'll get back down to 76 over the night.

As Murphays law would have it, I have a chiller on it's way for such an occasion which i ordered a few weeks ago, yet it's not due in for another week.

Home Ownership + Aquarium = Fun :D

Hope all does well. I would hate to see you have to go through another crash.

I MUST get another frag of the Bellina after everything settles. That was a fantastic coral. Did you get another one of those yet?

Hope all does well. I would hate to see you have to go through another crash.

I MUST get another frag of the Bellina after everything settles. That was a fantastic coral. Did you get another one of those yet?

Not yet. I'm waiting to get the chiller in before adding any more SPS. Heat has been my enemy.

• 7 months later...

Haven't had time to Update in some time now, but I'll get some more Pics up soon.

I just added a pair of ORA mandarin, a very nice sized red planet, and updated my CUC. I heard my chiller turn on yesterday for the first time since fall..... spring is closing in!!!! :)

Still waiting on Mitch to grow out some more happy frags for me!!!

• 10 months later...

Well it's been way too long since I've given any update...but I'm in need of help. I've had Aiptasia overrun the tank. I've been attacking them by hand and have a pair of bristle tail file fish helping the cause, but the aiptasia are still winning out. Suggestions?

• 3 years later...

Yep can see why you love the goon,this things epic

you realize this thread hasnt been updated since 2012...

I mentioned it to pgrVII as I love his "goon" tank - and have this 135 still waiting for it's rebirth. Some day. For now it's just my lame 28g NC. :)

Archived